bocco
11-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Anybody use one? Opinions?

Havasu1986
11-07-2006, 05:04 PM
About 3 weeks ago there was a good thread on here. Do a search

rodnjen
11-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Had one installed almost a year ago when I had my house repiped. We got the Bosch, I hear there are better units available though. That being said, we couldn't be happier. I can't attribute the improvement entirely to the heater, but it gets hot and stays hot. My wife says our bill has dropped, but not much. I probably would not have spent the money but it was a special offer during the repipe.
Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Pheelin Phroggy
11-07-2006, 05:21 PM
while we do not currently have them, the next house we build will, we lived in Germany for 5 years and that is all they use, worked great, never a problem.

redneckcharlie
11-07-2006, 05:51 PM
if you can afford the initial cost of the unit and the install, you cannot beat the performance of a tankless hot water heater. i'm a dealer for rinnai, and bosch. bosch makes a good unit, rinnai seems to be a little more reliable. i average two intalls a week, and haven't had any type of failure in the last year or so. either brand has good warranty service. regardless of what you choose, make sure you choose a unit that has enough capacity. five to six gallons a minute is the minimum i would recommend. also, make sure you have the proper gas supply. the requirements are measured in column inches, but a good rule of thumb is a three quarter inch line is a minimum. if the line sizing is to small, half inch, many of the units will wine. the will also run less efficiently. one other thing, make sure who ever does the install uses the proper vent pipe, usually stainless. good luck. :rollside:

riverliver
11-07-2006, 06:06 PM
I have heard that Noritz is one of the better ones out there....

Mandelon
11-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Several threads on this in the archives. Rinnai here, works awesome, 3 showers at the same time and no shortage of hot water. but you must have plenty of gas coming in. 1'' or 3/4" minimum

Angry Inch
11-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Several threads on this in the archives. Rinnai here, works awesome, 3 showers at the same time and no shortage of hot water. but you must have plenty of gas coming in. 1'' or 3/4" minimum
good to know.

Screemy1
11-07-2006, 06:16 PM
I installed one at my old house.... miss it now because the new house has a 50 gal.... and it just don't cut it...... on propane here.... supposibly gas is on its way in the next few years.... then we will switch our tank for a tankless..... the crap about having to have stainless double wall exhaust makes it expensive... I did it myself bypassing the permit and never had a prob with the standard exhaust venting... you just need a large vent... not the little thing a tank uses.... when we sold the old house the only thing an inspecter called out was the pressure relief was not plumbed to the out side..... like it really needs one of those anyway.... no tank to build up pressure in.... they need to reevaluate that code.... but the non exsistant double wall stainless was never called out.... just shows how them inspeters are.... :p

RitcheyRch
11-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Thats the brand my parents installed last year.
I have heard that Noritz is one of the better ones out there....

Decided Advantage
11-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I'vde been using a natural gass unit for the past 4 years.
Cons:
> Wait for hot water twice as long.
> If the water coming in is <40 degrees the differential doesn't yield hot water.
> Family hunts you down for abuse at the first hint of problems
> Kids aren't stopped by running out of hot water
> Who do you call.
Pro:
> Damn kids can't use all the hot water!
> Not paying to heat water when your not there
Experienced recommendation:
Go tankless BUT plumb it to feed a 20 gallon hotwater tank
>The small hot water tank will give you hot water right away at little expense
>The tankless unit will provide endless hotwater
Good luck!

Redrider
11-07-2006, 08:35 PM
We had one installed two weeks ago (Rinnai), works awesome! Same - 3 full baths, you cannot run out of 130 degree water. LOVE IT! $1000+
I will never build a new house again without one!

YeLLowBoaT
11-07-2006, 08:47 PM
they have pros and cons.
Basicly you can expect to pay the same for gas( unless you use alot of hot water or have a older heater)
Some of the older tankless had/have issues. I have not heard of any complaints about the new units( name brand) other then having to run bigger gas lines( and one case where some on had to replace the line all the way back to the street.)

Havasu1986
11-07-2006, 10:36 PM
What about the Home Depot brands

Mandelon
11-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Our gas usage is down about 30% in spite of the fact that my kids take 20 minute showers way more often than before...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-08-2006, 08:28 AM
I have gas in my home and love it. Gas stoves are the only ticket! I wouldnt mind having a tankless water heater though....