PDA

View Full Version : filling or sanding scratches on hull

dschifan
11-07-2006, 11:06 PM
my 22 daytona has some fairly deep scratches on the bottom hull from the previous owner beaching it. what do i use to fill these in or should i just try to sand them out with some heavy grit sandpaper then wet sand and buff. they are under the boat and are not very visible and is just in the plain white part of the gelcoat. thanks!

MOBrien
11-07-2006, 11:34 PM
depending on how many spots and how big they are, might be better off getting it to a reputable fiberglass/gel shop for them to spot-fix it. Shouldn't be too costly to have done by a pro if it's just the small area that gets affected by beaching.
good luck.

BIGAMIST
11-07-2006, 11:50 PM
TRG Custom Fiberglass
626-991-9031

Nubbs
11-08-2006, 06:38 AM
TRG Custom Fiberglass
626-991-9031
I second that. TRG did some repair work on my hull too. The hull turned out great and it was done in a timely fashion too.

2Driver
11-08-2006, 06:53 AM
I use 800-1200 wet sand and really go for it a bit to see what it ends up looking like. Keep adding water and sanding. Then move to a Boat compound (or 3M finnish) to bring back the shine then wax. I bet it gets out 50% or more. Then if you cant see it, let it ride. I brought back some pretty scratched hulls like this.

ratso
11-08-2006, 07:03 AM
Scratches are one thing. Gouges are another. Fine scratches can be sanded out okay. If they are deep though, have it professionally done.

phebus
11-08-2006, 07:12 AM
If they are just in the gel, and not structural, get some gel paste and fill the deep ones, and then sand and buff.

Sleek-Jet
11-08-2006, 07:17 AM
I wouldn't even worry about it... you can't see them anyway... but that's just me... :D

BadKachina
11-08-2006, 07:32 AM
If you are through the gel then you need to repair them. Either do it yourself with some gel paste from West marine or have a gel guy do it. If they are cosmetic scratches 2Driver has it right, sand and buff.
One more option is to stick a Keelguard over them. I have one on my boat and you would never notice it if I didn't point it out to you. they come in all different colors but if you put white on white it's hard to see it at all.
Keelguard (http://www.keelguard.com/keelguard.html)

2Driver
11-08-2006, 09:24 AM
If you are through the gel then you need to repair them. Either do it yourself with some gel paste from West marine or have a gel guy do it. If they are cosmetic scratches 2Driver has it right, sand and buff.
One more option is to stick a Keelguard over them. I have one on my boat and you would never notice it if I didn't point it out to you. they come in all different colors but if you put white on white it's hard to see it at all.
Keelguard (http://www.keelguard.com/keelguard.html)
Hey why dont you walk down a few doors and see if those guys have my Rhino ready. :rollside:

SOCALDETAIL1
11-08-2006, 11:20 AM
my 22 daytona has some fairly deep scratches on the bottom hull from the previous owner beaching it. what do i use to fill these in or should i just try to sand them out with some heavy grit sandpaper then wet sand and buff. they are under the boat and are not very visible and is just in the plain white part of the gelcoat. thanks!
Give me a call I will be in La Mirada next Wed. I will be more then happy to swing by and take a look to see what direction to point you in. Mark

dschifan
11-08-2006, 10:05 PM
hey thanks alot guys. hey mark i appreciate the offer and just might take you up on it if i go down and get the boat from havasu this weekend. there are some other places on the corners of the bottom of the hull that has been puddied in but not sanded so i'm not sure what to do with ther either. i'm just doing some winter resto projects on it and want everthing done right... i'm getting ready to replace all the bezels and hardware on the boat as well as get the back hatch and rear seat re upholstered. cant wait!

tntperformance
11-08-2006, 10:39 PM
hey thanks alot guys. hey mark i appreciate the offer and just might take you up on it if i go down and get the boat from havasu this weekend. there are some other places on the corners of the bottom of the hull that has been puddied in but not sanded so i'm not sure what to do with ther either. i'm just doing some winter resto projects on it and want everthing done right... i'm getting ready to replace all the bezels and hardware on the boat as well as get the back hatch and rear seat re upholstered. cant wait!
If the boat is in lake havasu save yourself a trip dragging it back.
Call Details,Details,Details! you don't even have to be there.
They pick up and deliver,do gel work,install keel gaurds,service work,and all kinds of other stuff.Keith from conquest boats knows them.
Conquest boats (928) 680-1400
Details (928)453-2833