PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel Vs. Pull behind

EmpirE231
11-08-2006, 09:55 AM
is the towing between the two night and day? what are the pro's cons?? I have pulled alot of regular pull behind toy haulers nd box trailers... and even with the sway control and weight distribution... it's never a fun time... always nerve racking!! are the fifth wheels easier to tow? less sway? etc? just looking for some input!!! thanks...
oh and the trailers I've towed range from just 22-26 foot, when I purchase a 5th wheel.. I'll be looking at atleast a 32 :)

Sleek-Jet
11-08-2006, 09:57 AM
No, not really from what I've found.
Especially with a good hitch on a bumper pull...
The only down side is you can't pull tandems with a bumper pull... gotta have a 5th wheel to do that.

Angry Inch
11-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Buy my pusher! You can tow whatever you want behind it....
See my sig....

79centurion
11-08-2006, 10:06 AM
If you are going with a 32" go 5th wheel. That is a big trailer, and will have alot of tounge weight for a pull behind. 5th wheels are also easier to manuver. The only bad part about a 5th wheel, is you cant just use anything to move it. You always have to have a truck with a 5th wheel around to move it.
Dan

Sleek-Jet
11-08-2006, 10:13 AM
If you are going with a 32" go 5th wheel. That is a big trailer, and will have alot of tounge weight for a pull behind. 5th wheels are also easier to manuver. The only bad part about a 5th wheel, is you cant just use anything to move it. You always have to have a truck with a 5th wheel around to move it.
Dan
I had a 38' bumper pull... 1000 lbs on the tongue... pulled just as well as the 37' 5th wheel I had before it... maybe even a little better, because I didn't have to deal with the height of the 5th wheel in cross-winds.

BoatFloating
11-08-2006, 10:13 AM
IMO 5th wheels are by far a safer choice when you get in the 30' range. pull behinds seem a little hairy to me above 30'...

SHOCKENYALL
11-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Not that you want a girlz perspective :rolleyes: BUT, My first trailer was a 32' Alpha Toy Hauler..... towed like a dream.... backed like a dream (even though was really long, with my long bed crew cab attatched). Never knew it was hardly there......
Two days before Memorial Day, picked up our new bumper pull, and left for the dunes the same day. Made it about 1 hour out, and was finding any trialer place that had stabalizer bars. That sucker was scary whippen all over the dam freeway!!! :yuk: Had to constantly use the trailer breaks to straighten it out. Good thing was.... Once the stabalizer bars were in place... not a problem at all!! :idea:
After towing the 5th wheel for soooo many years..... I still am more comfortable with how it tows better than the bumper pull.
Just my .o2

frosty
11-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I have had and towed lot of trailers, we bought a new 5th wheel 6 mons. ago and it pulls a lot better than the other trailers we had. the weight is or should be a little foward of rear end, weight is on truck springs and axels of trailer, I have very little sway pulls great. turns good, backs up great. have fun . frosty

soupersonic
11-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Not that you want a girlz perspective :rolleyes: BUT, My first trailer was a 32' Alpha Toy Hauler..... towed like a dream.... backed like a dream (even though was really long, with my long bed crew cab attatched). Never knew it was hardly there......
Two days before Memorial Day, picked up our new bumper pull, and left for the dunes the same day. Made it about 1 hour out, and was finding any trialer place that had stabalizer bars. That sucker was scary whippen all over the dam freeway!!! :yuk: Had to constantly use the trailer breaks to straighten it out. Good thing was.... Once the stabalizer bars were in place... not a problem at all!! :idea:
After towing the 5th wheel for soooo many years..... I still am more comfortable with how it tows better than the bumper pull.
Just my .o2
Did you say something? I couldnt seem to get past the avatar :)

BoatFloating
11-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Just my .o2
Well if you can back a trailer and that's your back in your avatar your perspective counts for me..... HELLO!!!!!! :D :messedup: :D

SHOCKENYALL
11-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Yes, that is me :) And you guys are very sweet!!
I've been towing/hauling/backing since I was 16..... lots of experience! Started with a 4 horse living quarter horse trailer..... my parents decided to send me on my own to horse shows once I was old enough to get my license.... I'll never forget my 1st time........ (towing a trailer alone of course :rolleyes: ) I was soooo afraid I was going to somehow kill my horses.... Then realized it was no different than when my Daddy was sitting next to me.
I know blah, blah, blah.... :rollside:

ZBODaytona
11-08-2006, 11:13 AM
i think there is a big difference with a 5th wheel...I would much rather have a 5th wheel or goosneck hitch any day over a bumper pull. i feel they are much more stable.
ahh horse girls aren't they great....

Dave C
11-08-2006, 11:19 AM
fifth wheel all the way. Distributes the weight much better. When its time to panic stop from all the jackholes on the road, you will notice the difference with the fifth wheel.

MudPumper
11-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Yes, that is me :) And you guys are very sweet!!
lots of experience! Started with a horse ..... my parents decided to send me on my own once I was old enough.... I'll never forget my 1st time........ (alone of course :rolleyes: ) I was soooo afraid.... Then realized it was no different than when my Daddy was sitting next to me.
I know blah, blah, blah.... :rollside:
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Just playing....but really, tell us about your first time...LOL :rollside: :crossx:

SHOCKENYALL
11-08-2006, 11:22 AM
tell us about your first time...LOL :rollside: :crossx:
My 1st time with which person?? : :rollside: tongue: ..... (there were only two)

racecar.hotshoe
11-08-2006, 11:28 AM
My 1st time with which person?? : :rollside: tongue: ..... (there were only two)
Dam I thought this was leading to one of those horse storys :crossx: :p

SHOCKENYALL
11-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Dam I thought this was leading to one of those horse storys :crossx: :p
No donkey shows here! :yuk:
Unless you consider that I call my husband a jackazz sometimes..... :p

racecar.hotshoe
11-08-2006, 11:35 AM
No donkey shows here! :yuk:
Unless you consider that I call my husband a jackazz sometimes..... :p
So you get a 1/2 point. :p

SHOCKENYALL
11-08-2006, 11:39 AM
So you get a 1/2 point. :p
Better than none at all! :)
Being enexperienced as I am here.... Is this considered "jacking a thread"? We are waaaaay off subject! And if it is ...... my apologies.
Back to the original programming! :)

racecar.hotshoe
11-08-2006, 11:42 AM
5th wheel Vs. Pull behind = 2 pages
Girl Vs Horse = 1000's
:coffeycup :D .....Carry on!

Jim W
11-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Trust me racecar....
Ive been through the whole cow girl thang.
Not a whole lot of fun, and it wasnt a pretty ending.....
Women who have their own spurs, well.....you figure it out!!!
Be good, Jim

wright27
11-08-2006, 02:35 PM
No, not really from what I've found.
Especially with a good hitch on a bumper pull...
The only down side is you can't pull tandems with a bumper pull... gotta have a 5th wheel to do that.
That is what I thought also, but last weekend coming back from a desert trip a guy was towing a 10ft enclosed trailer behind a 23-25 foot towalong. I was baffled.

Fire Angler
11-08-2006, 04:57 PM
5er all the way! If you have a tripple axle, it like nothing is back there at all.

riverroyal
11-08-2006, 05:47 PM
tow behind,now I have a 37ft fifth wheel.My wife likes the 5er because I can actually talk to her while towing,instead of shiating my pants.Tow behinds are fine,until the wind blows 5mph sideways,or you are in heavy traffic at 65mph.I will NEVER go back

catman-do
11-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Our new 5th wheel pulls 100x nicer that the tongepull. Thats 28 feet vs. 39 feet too!

Zaairman
11-09-2006, 08:56 AM
5th wheels are much easier to tow than a bumper pull. Like SHOCKN, I learned how to pull/backup/etc on my own with horses (mmm cowgirls) when I was 14 or 15. I also think that the ride is a lot smoother with a 5'er.
Hey EmpirE, what kind of truck will you be using to pull this trailer? Please don't say a half-ton...

a catered life
11-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Buy my pusher! You can tow whatever you want behind it....
See my sig....
lmao thats about as close to spam as you can get without it being called spam

NOTALENT
11-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Anyone got any places local that will install stablaizer tow bars for a pull behind??? The dealer quoted us $1500!!!! :mad: parts included :rolleyes:

SHOCKENYALL
11-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Anyone got any places local that will install stablaizer tow bars for a pull behind??? The dealer quoted us $1500!!!! :mad: parts included :rolleyes:
We bought everything for ours around 450.00, brand new. Installed ourselves.... really easy..... but might depend if your inclined to do that. :rollside:

Bense468
11-09-2006, 09:33 AM
There is no comparison between a 5th wheel to a bumper pull. Only downside with the 5th wheel is you lose a little space for the same size trailer...BUT you can go a little bigger and feel comfortable towing it.
I won't tow a bumper pull over 26 foot and I am amazed that people do. Good luck on those brakes.

EmpirE231
11-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Zaairman: nope... no 1/2 ton... I have an 05 4x4 durumax .... but I've done my fair share of towing with my old 00 1500 .... and those were some not so fun times!! prob had alot to do with the 36" swampers.... alot of flex inthe sidewall
Notatlent: try empire accessorries in corona right of the 91 & serfas club 951-737-2618 ask for tommy and tell him pat sent you... see if his pricing is any better.
thanks for all the replies!! def leaning on the 5th when it comes time to getting a new trailer.... and I know what you mean about shiatin your pants while towing the tounge pulls.... it's frickin nerve racking!!! both hands on the wheel tunnle vision.. :boxed:

NOTALENT
11-09-2006, 09:49 AM
We bought everything for ours around 450.00, brand new. Installed ourselves.... really easy..... but might depend if your inclined to do that. :rollside:
Nice...Im sure the install will be basic....$450 isnt bad either...which weight capacity did you get???

SHOCKENYALL
11-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Nice...Im sure the install will be basic....$450 isnt bad either...which weight capacity did you get???
This is what hubby said:
"I got them at rv & trailer parts warehouse in medford (Oregon) & they will handle more than the truck can".
Didn't understand what you meant by "which weight capacity did you get"? It was his understanding they don't sell them by that...?
He told them make and model of our new trailer, and they took care of it from there.
We tow 29' , with 2 banshees, and 2 80's... fuel station pretty full most the time, and trailer packed to the gills, with whatever.....
Sorry for being no help at all, when it comes to "weight capacity".

Zaairman
11-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Zaairman: nope... no 1/2 ton... I have an 05 4x4 durumax .... but I've done my fair share of towing with my old 00 1500 .... and those were some not so fun times!! prob had alot to do with the 36" swampers.... alot of flex inthe sidewall
Phew... I'm over on F150Online all the time, and usually 2 - 3 times per week we get some guy who is either wanting to tow a huge 5th wheel, wondering why a shop won't install a 5th wheel on his halfton, or wondering why his transmission went out at 40K from towing a huge fifth wheel.