PDA

View Full Version : ID theft Question

spectratoad
11-09-2006, 07:15 AM
I know it has been talked about here before so I am looking for some advice/answers from the multitudes of info in the Sandbar.
The bank called my wife yesterday about some wierd charges to her account. We looked this morning and there is a little over $300 in two charges down in Mexico. She is going to the bank this AM and probably closing the card or account. What are all the steps we need to take to see how far this goes? She hasn't lost any of her cards or purses or anything. I'm thinking about our mailbox?
I think we need to report it to the credit reporting agencies? Is there a central place for that or do you have to call all three?
Just want to try to stop this early if possible.
Thanks HB folks.

ratso
11-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Cut up the cards and pay cash... ID theft is just another headache I don't need... and I think ebays security issues are about to fukk everybody in the ass...

spectratoad
11-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Yep that is what I do. Her and I have kept seperate accounts since we got married (my ex issues) and I for the most part just do cash stuff.
I told her this morning though that she now has two legitimate fraudulent transactions in Mexico and week after next we are headed there for Thanksgiving. Told her we should party our a$$e$ off and say it's not our charges. :rolleyes: :)

beerjet
11-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Yep that is what I do. Her and I have kept seperate accounts since we got married (my ex issues) and I for the most part just do cash stuff.
I told her this morning though that she now has two legitimate fraudulent transactions in Mexico and week after next we are headed there for Thanksgiving. Told her we should party our a$$e$ off and say it's not our charges. :rolleyes: :)
Party your ass off and see what happens. Just make sure you dont get carded for id and sighn everything "donald duck"
I have an aunt whom I was "helping" out and she used to do my taxes and as it turns out she was using my social security number to get cell phones and open all of her utilities and who knows what else so I had to put a fraud alert out on my sh*t :mad:

andy01
11-09-2006, 08:15 AM
File a police report and put a fraud warning on your credit report. Those are the first two things to do.
Been through it, the police report will get the banks to work with you a lot easier.
Andy

Partycattin
11-09-2006, 09:43 AM
My wife has been a victim twice.
First was a similar situation to yours. She received charges that were down in Mexico. Apparantly this is pretty common. She called the bank and the reversed the charges instantly. Never had another issue on that account.
Second time, someone applied for a credit card, used an address down in Los Angeles. Card had a $300 limit but somehow the credit company let them charge up $1000. We didn't even know about the account until we were refinancing our home and it spit out on the credit report. We followed all the protocol (police report, letter, etc). We were assured that this would be removed from her credit report. Still hasn't been done. I challanged it with the credit reporting agencies and they deny our challange after doing whatever research it is that they do.
No I'm at the point of having to hire an attorney which will likely end up costing more than the debt. It's f'd up.
I think a large class action suit against a couple of creditors may be what is needed. In my wife's situation, they used a false address/info. We've been in the same house for 10 years in Simi Valley. I think that should have sent up a red flag on the credit application. The consumers are being held responsible for the irresponsible lending practicies/credit extensions by the banks.

ratso
11-09-2006, 09:52 AM
My wife has been a victim twice.
First was a similar situation to yours. She received charges that were down in Mexico. Apparantly this is pretty common. She called the bank and the reversed the charges instantly. Never had another issue on that account.
Second time, someone applied for a credit card, used an address down in Los Angeles. Card had a $300 limit but somehow the credit company let them charge up $1000. We didn't even know about the account until we were refinancing our home and it spit out on the credit report. We followed all the protocol (police report, letter, etc). We were assured that this would be removed from her credit report. Still hasn't been done. I challanged it with the credit reporting agencies and they deny our challange after doing whatever research it is that they do.
No I'm at the point of having to hire an attorney which will likely end up costing more than the debt. It's f'd up.
I think a large class action suit against a couple of creditors may be what is needed. In my wife's situation, they used a false address/info. We've been in the same house for 10 years in Simi Valley. I think that should have sent up a red flag on the credit application. The consumers are being held responsible for the irresponsible lending practicies/credit extensions by the banks.
Credit bureaus get off to screwing people too. They'll fukk you no questions asked, but takes an act of congress to get it removed...