PDA

View Full Version : K-boat news!

CircleJerk
01-21-2006, 12:23 AM
This may be old news for some of you. BUT!!! It's official: K boats can run APBA! Rule change #3 Capsules are now (recommended) not required for Ks! Also recommended for PS,SS, & cracker box!
If you have a reinforced cockpit or capsule a full time air system must be there, working!
This is not word for word but a general jErKs interpretation. (understandably confusing, but not entirely incorrect or misquoted)
Taken from the APBA web site:
Capsules cant be justified when you consider accidents, more fatalities are found in PS, SS, SK, and GN classes so KRRs have a better safety record! Eight fatalities within these classes have resulted since 1976 to 2004.
Further Facts: 1. SS and PS boats have run faster than Ks. 2. the length to power ration is higher in a Cracker Box. 3. IHBA presently has 11 Ks and APBA has 5. 4. cost to an inboard capsule is 10,000 as compared to 2-3,000 for a hydroplane. 5. You cant race with only 5 boats!
This should bring the Ks to Burley and many more race sites for 2006!
The BALL is in your court gentlemen! And the K427 is sold?! Let the celebration begin!
Sincerely, jErKinHein

wrath of cron
01-21-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm an east coastie so......will the powers that be reconsider the skiff cage rule????? 1) ps, ss, cracker, and about every racing class in apba has gone faster 2) power to length....right stock 305s in 16' bath tubs 3) in the HISTORY of skiffs Fred Holms is the only fatality 4) year before cage 25 (?) skiffs in valleyfield, since then there are not 25 in the nation. oh well just a late night fantisy

SGettmann
01-21-2006, 03:21 AM
Any resources for learning about the differences between the various classes. What's the seperators between GNs, SS, PS, K's, etc. Thanks
I think understanding this will make my race weekend in Burley more enjoyable as a spectator and fan.
Thanks!

superdave013
01-21-2006, 05:35 AM
looks like the APBA is after some of the IHBA pie. I will go out on a limb here and say that if it was not for the great IHBA K boat program the APBA would not have made that rule change.
What about the engines? I know the IHBA has cubic inch limits and the 8-71 @ so much over limit on alky. Are the APBA K's still going to be unlimited as far as engine size, blower size (& overdrive) and fuel?
Next question:
Can Tony win high points in both IHBA and APBA K classes. lol you know he is gonna try. :)

Riverkid
01-21-2006, 05:56 AM
Just saw the pics of Jim turning over the Miss Evil Ways K in HB. How did he come out of that? How bad was the boat?..

BILLY.B
01-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Just saw the pics of Jim turning over the Miss Evil Ways K in HB. How did he come out of that? How bad was the boat?..Jim's left arm got alittle banged up but he was back out with the boat for the final. Talk about dedication. He has my vote.

BILLY.B
01-21-2006, 07:00 AM
This may be old news for some of you. BUT!!! It's official: K boats can run APBA! Rule change #3 Capsules are now (recommended) not required for Ks! Also recommended for PS,SS, & cracker box!
If you have a reinforced cockpit or capsule a full time air system must be there, working!
This is not word for word but a general jErKs interpretation. (understandably confusing, but not entirely incorrect or misquoted)
Taken from the APBA web site:
!
Sincerely, jErKinHein Sounds like a Nascar statment. Nascar said the same thing about neck restraints until the Earnhardt incident at Datona. How many K's are back east?. Seeing as most of the APBA BIG EVENTS are back there maybe this will open the door to have more of them here....(NATIONALS). And if you really want to know the truth JeRkInHeIn the K's were pretty much a dead issue until the NKRA and all the talk on these forums came about. Just my .02. Hopefully this all works out for the best.

olbiezer
01-21-2006, 10:28 AM
hb had some really spectacular pics of the k 8 rolling over.....looked as if the seat was holding the driver in as it went over......glad he was ok......and of course little to no coverage of the cricle boats ( just a mention is all)

gnRacer98
01-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Jerk,
I think your a little ahead of yourself. What you read was a rule PROPOSAL. It won't be official until presented and voted on at the national meeting in Ft. Lauderdale, which isn't until next week.
Anybody that wishes to see this rule had better be at the meeting, I'm pretty sure it'll be an uphill fight. It will likely be a Hydro vs Runabout deal and the Hydro guy's usually show up in big numbers.

Moneypitt
01-21-2006, 11:00 AM
I heard some scuttlebutt about this at the PArker race in Nov of last year. It was kinda in the works then, but there was engine and overdrive restrictions mentioned along with the proposal, simular to the revised GN rules pertaining to the blowers. I'm with GN98 here, a proposed rule change has a long way to go, and I kinda doubt the part about the SS and PS boats running faster than the Ks...................MP

Riverkid
01-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Jim's left arm got alittle banged up but he was back out with the boat for the final. Talk about dedication. He has my vote.
Thanks for the info Billy. Jim's a ten. Glad he and the boat came out relatively okay. :)

Squirtin Thunder
01-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Sounds like a Nascar statment. Nascar said the same thing about neck restraints until the Earnhardt incident at Datona. How many K's are back east?. Seeing as most of the APBA BIG EVENTS are back there maybe this will open the door to have more of them here....(NATIONALS). And if you really want to know the truth JeRkInHeIn the K's were pretty much a dead issue until the NKRA and all the talk on these forums came about. Just my .02. Hopefully this all works out for the best.
Billy I agree with you on that statement.
I am hping for the same thing with the Comp Jets.

Moneypitt
01-21-2006, 06:04 PM
I see that there is a proposed rule change to allow ROLLER CAMS in SS motors!!!.655 max valve lift, but rollers..........!...................MP

Moneypitt
01-21-2006, 08:11 PM
From APBA inboard site
(Note: Duff drives 2 capsuled boats...K and PS)
Safety Equipment (Rule 3)
Author: Duff Daily
Effected Class: KRR
Rule No. 3.17
Page number of rule: 4
Effected Rule:
Effective May 1, 2005, RESTRAINT CAPSULES are mandatory for all boats
competing in the K Racing Runabout class. Restraint capsules are highly
recommended for all boats competing in Pro Stock, Super Stock, and Cracker
Box classes. A bottom hatch is not required for any type restraint capsule
used in these classes.
Proposed Rule:
Restraint capsules are highly recommended for all boats competing in the K
Racing Runabout, Pro Stock, Super Stock, and Cracker Box classes. A bottom
hatch is not required for any type restraint used in these classes.
Reason for Change:
The rule as written hasn’t had the effect of large numbers of capsulized K
boats. K boats still exist, but are racing with other organizations. K boats, at
most races, turn lap times very similar to uncapsulized Pro Stocks and Super
Stocks.
The mandatory capsule requirement cannot be justified if you consider the
that there have been more accidents, including fatalities, in the other flat bottom
classes: PS, SS, SK, and GN classes. KRR’s have a better safety record
than PS, SS, and GN.
Please read below:
MAJOR K RACING RUNABOUT ACCIDENTS
1985 ? Jay Ellington Burley, ID Leg laceration
1990 Duff Daily Meridian, MS Torn quad muscle
1996 Gordon Jennings, Jr. Tri Cities, WA Multiple serious injuries,
mainly due to being a hemophiliac
1996 Victor Roth Both ankles broken
2000 Jim Clauss Ankle injury
MAJOR SS/SK/PS/GN ACCIDENTS INCLUDING FATALITIES
1976 Dick Sutton SK Morgan City, LA Fatality
1977 Terry Bilbrey SK Raleigh, NC Paralysis
1979 Dickie Webb SS Western U.S. Fatality
1981 Steve Jones SK Soap Lake WA, fatality
1995 Tom Connant PS Parker, AZ Fatality
2001 Brian Ohlis SS Raleigh, NC Loss of fingers
2001 Mike Hoban GN Parker, AZ Fatality
2001 Lance Faulkner GN Parker, AZ Fatality
2001 Jessy Stieger SS Fatality
2003 Bryan Bergeron SS Serious leg injury
2003 Paul Brockhauser SS Fatality
2004 Doug Jancura PS Western U.S. Fatality
2004 Gus Shade PS Fatality
Other facts:
1. COMPARABLE SPEEDS OF SS/PS/KRR: most races PS speeds are faster,
and occasionally SS speeds are faster than K’s
2. COMPARE LENGTH TO POWER RATIO OF CRACKER BOX (DOES
NOT REQUIRE CELL): Cracker Box length minimum is 13’6" with 700 HP;
K boat length is 18' with 1,200 HP
3. IHBA at present time has 11 K Racing Runabout boats registered with the
association because capsules are optional. APBA, on the other hand, has only
5 registered KRR boats due to the mandatory restraint capsule.
4. HYDRO CELLS = $2,000 - $3,000
RUNABOUT CELLS = $10,000 and up
5. Making the capsule mandatory on the K boats has caused a membership
of less than 10 boats, which in turn, has put the K class on probation.
6. LIST OF RACE SITES THAT WANT THE KRR’S (at the time of this writing)
BURLEY PARKER MORGAN CITY
HAMPTON LONG BEACH FIREBIRD
CAMBRIDGE TONAWANDA ROCKY FORK
In order to have a better competition, you need more than a few boats.

stickmann
01-21-2006, 08:18 PM
MAJOR SS/SK/PS/GN ACCIDENTS INCLUDING FATALITIES
1976 Dick Sutton SK Morgan City, LA Fatality
1977 Terry Bilbrey SK Raleigh, NC Paralysis
1979 Dickie Webb SS Western U.S. Fatality
1995 Tom Connant PS Parker, AZ Fatality
2001 Brian Ohlis SS Raleigh, NC Loss of fingers
2001 Mike Hoban GN Parker, AZ Fatality
2001 Lance Faulkner GN Parker, AZ Fatality
2001 Jessy Stieger SS Fatality
2003 Bryan Bergeron SS Serious leg injury
2003 Paul Brockhauser SS Fatality
2004 Doug Jancura PS Western U.S. Fatality
2004 Gus Shade PS Fatality
You missed one: 1981 Steve Jones SK Soap Lake WA, fatality

Moneypitt
01-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Stickmann, no disrespect intended, however, I just copied the info from the APBA inboard site. Not a good list by any stretch of the imagination. Capsules DO save lives, and I hope more racers voluntarily install them. It is very hard to convince some "open air" drivers, and it is, afterall, their choice. Lets hope this rule change goes into reality. Remember that will mean that the KRRA has won! It was their departure from APBA that changed the PS and SS rules to read "recomended" instead of "mandatory" capsules. I am reminded of the true competitor that Duff Daley truly is and I'm sure the oversight on the list was purely accidental...........MP

stickmann
01-21-2006, 09:54 PM
It's a good thing to remember those who have passed. I appreciate your research into how capsules can save lives. Seeing the numbers brings it home.

Moneypitt
01-21-2006, 10:07 PM
I can not take credit for someone elses research. Duff Daily wrote the proposal to APBA, so either he, or someone working with him compiled the lists. I have had PMs saying the decisions have already been made, but APBA sites show nothing of these decisions. Maybe Boyd has ears at the national meeting? If the meeting has even taken place yet. I am all for the Ks coming back, they were there when I started going to boat races, and APBA races just aren't the same without those blown alcohol flats in the pits and on the water...........MP
PS: National meeting Jan 26th-29th...........not yet!

CircleJerk
01-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Jerk,
I think your a little ahead of yourself. What you read was a rule PROPOSAL. It won't be official until presented and voted on at the national meeting in Ft. Lauderdale, which isn't until next week.
Anybody that wishes to see this rule had better be at the meeting, I'm pretty sure it'll be an uphill fight. It will likely be a Hydro vs Runabout deal and the Hydro guy's usually show up in big numbers.
Yes, you are correct, I jumped the gun. You know, cant sleep and must surf boat stuff while half asleep late at night! The APBA rule meeting is next week and what you read here is just a proposal. Sorry.............. Let's keep thinking positive, if that's possible..

CircleJerk
01-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Sounds like a Nascar statment. Nascar said the same thing about neck restraints until the Earnhardt incident at Datona. How many K's are back east?. Seeing as most of the APBA BIG EVENTS are back there maybe this will open the door to have more of them here....(NATIONALS). And if you really want to know the truth JeRkInHeIn the K's were pretty much a dead issue until the NKRA and all the talk on these forums came about. Just my .02. Hopefully this all works out for the best.
So true, so true, man, you really looked good at over 140, but, tonight sharing RRII with JD, Robbie, Blonde, and George. Mr. Nordling made an interesting observation: Your runs were very short, say maybe 1/4 mile it appears and if you were on a real race course your speed should have been faster! Unless that was trick photography! Nice passes even with the mixed up cylinders, that thing is a rocket! Thanks again Californian boaters for keeping us eskimos warm in January. Great job Jerry!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
01-22-2006, 09:13 AM
So true, so true, man, you really looked good at over 140, but, tonight sharing RRII with JD, Robbie, Blonde, and George. Mr. Nordling made an interesting observation: Your runs were very short, say maybe 1/4 mile it appears and if you were on a real race course your speed should have been faster! Unless that was trick photography! Nice passes even with the mixed up cylinders, that thing is a rocket! Thanks again Californian boaters for keeping us eskimos warm in January. Great job Jerry!
Remember, its just a "river" boat. :)
and thanks CJ! :cool:

Sked
01-22-2006, 09:16 AM
The K boat capsule issue is being debated within the Inboard Race Commission as we speak. With the listing of flatbottom accidents/fatalities included in Duff's proposal, it has also resparked the debate of mandating capsules for all flatbottom classes. The proposal will be discussed further and voted on at the national meeting which takes place at the end of this week. Beside getting the IRC to approve Duff's proposal, it will also need to be approved by the APBA's Board of Directors, which is highly unlikely.

dossangers
01-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Even if the apba allows open K's there are so few ''COMPETITIVE '' K drivers out there nothings going to change! I think we run faster on the river than most of the K races anyway! But the Key thing is its just Fun not the hard core COMPETITIVE edge that takes you over the top!! I think its all about the SHOW anyway! Glad we can help JeRkiNhiEmEr!! :) :)

BILLY.B
01-22-2006, 09:35 AM
So true, so true, man, you really looked good at over 140, but, tonight sharing RRII with JD, Robbie, Blonde, and George. Mr. Nordling made an interesting observation: Your runs were very short, say maybe 1/4 mile it appears and if you were on a real race course your speed should have been faster! Unless that was trick photography! Nice passes even with the mixed up cylinders, that thing is a rocket! Thanks again Californian boaters for keeping us eskimos warm in January. Great job Jerry! It wasn't trick photography JeRk. But i'd be the first to tell anyone that I really don't care how fast the deal runs I drive it as fast as I have to go. It does pull a 54 gear with an 11 x 16 at 7600 rpm. And when at the river I always keep in mind that if something did go wrong I don't want to be to far out of sight. As far as the mixed up cylinders I run the engine pretty fat. It cleans up on the big end and would probably be quicker if I leaned the engine out. Problem being that my pockets aren't as deep as yours... :rollside:

Moneypitt
01-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Billy, like I said from the first post, 140+ in a short run, no where near the Kilo that Gordie ran setting the record. I have seen the area, up close and personal, and you my friend were hauling the mail in a very short distance. I think Gordies record is in trouble if APBA goes with the Duff rule change, and Wayne,buddy, you would be surprised at the drivers that will come out of the woodwork IF the rules are changed. Where are they now you may ask, IHBA drag venues are quite different than APBA races where the boats compete on a real circle boat course. No one would expect an immediate full blown class, but if you have a K race within APBA, they will come........Got any shoes in mind for the K50???? That would be just too cool, a full field of NKRA boats setting the standard for the western division. Burley with Ks, what a concept.....Ray

BILLY.B
01-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Gordy & I go round and round all the time (at each other). And he's a great friend. But by no means do I have the experience that it would take to be a competitive driver in a K-boat. Running fast at the river is a totally different deal then in a race and I know that. That said... going to Burley to be competitive just wouldn't be fisable. Now going to Burley to have fun and run the boat would be a different story. I've been in the sport long enough to know that going into a corner with 6 or 7 different boats at one time is tough. Not to mention worrying about getting my boat SCRATCHED!!!! :rollside: .

Morg
01-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Gordy & I go round and round all the time (at each other). And he's a great friend. But by no means do I have the experience that it would take to be a competitive driver in a K-boat. Running fast at the river is a totally different deal then in a race and I know that. That said... going to Burley to be competitive just wouldn't be fisable. Now going to Burley to have fun and run the boat would be a different story. I've been in the sport long enough to know that going into a corner with 6 or 7 different boats at one time is tough. Not to mention worrying about getting my boat SCRATCHED!!!! :rollside: .
Come on cheif, what are you thinking??
You know there is not enough time to detail your boat betweem heats, much less get a snack before you go out again.

Moneypitt
01-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Billy, there is no man or beast that would dare scratch your boat.....And I wasn't refering to you driving competitively, you've already explained your reasons not to. I was just saying that IF the Ks do come back, technology has marched forward and Gordie ran that fast all those years ago, it is quite possible that his record could fall, not saying it would be easy, but possible. Even if the NKRA boats could only give the crowd something to get excited about at APBA races, something that hasn't been possible since the capsule rule. I know you guys like to show your boats, and the fans love to see them. Even if just playing around, it would be a gas........Again, I foresee K drivers coming thru the ranks of APBA, just like it use to be........This attempt by Duff to revive the K class may take awhile, even if the rule does change, AND you are well aware of the money for racing situation, which will make it even tougher to attract the existing west coast Ks when IHBA has been there for them when APBA said NO OPEN BOATS..........I just hope this works into something in the future, it has to help the sport all across the board....Ray

dossangers
01-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Ray phoenix is a real circle race course ! Pin course just like the beach! Also my boats TOO SLOW to compete!! :rollside: :rollside:

Moneypitt
01-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Wayne your boat could compete, hell its all there, and loves to run in the shit, what else does it need?.........And the only IHBA circle deal I've seen was Red Bluff, with the drag bouys all over the short course. I haven't seen the course at Firebird since 90 or 91, So I didn't know the course. I figured it would be something like Red Bluff, mixed in with the drag course. I also lost alot of respect for IHBA after the way they handled the K711 deal. As I've said, I just hope this works out, and the Ks run a few APBA venues along with their IHBA deal. And of course the NKRA guys showing off as well........Ray
PS : How about a cacklefest on the grass in front of the Burley INN?
(no covered wagon races though)

DAVEY B
01-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Billy, like I said from the first post, 140+ in a short run, no where near the Kilo that Gordie ran setting the record. I have seen the area, up close and personal, and you my friend were hauling the mail in a very short distance. I think Gordies record is in trouble if APBA goes with the Duff rule change, and Wayne,buddy, you would be surprised at the drivers that will come out of the woodwork IF the rules are changed. Where are they now you may ask, IHBA drag venues are quite different than APBA races where the boats compete on a real circle boat course. No one would expect an immediate full blown class, but if you have a K race within APBA, they will come........Got any shoes in mind for the K50???? That would be just too cool, a full field of NKRA boats setting the standard for the western division. Burley with Ks, what a concept.....Ray
I don't think Gordies record will be broken especially in an open cockpit boat. Running 140 in a short distance is a hole lot easier than running a k boat flat out for well over a mile and then turning around and doing it again! This means you will have to run over 150 mph for 5/8 mile in each direction. Can you say BIG BALLS :220v: . I love speed more then anybody but i don't think I could run a K wide open for that long?
Just my opinion. :argue:

uclahater
01-23-2006, 07:24 AM
Even if APBA approves it I dont think it will change much. There was only 2 to 3 K's showin up when there wasnt a capsule rule :idea:

BILLY.B
01-23-2006, 07:34 AM
I love speed more then anybody but i don't think I have the BIG BALLS :220v: to run a K wide open for that long?
Just my opinion. :argue: Like we already didn't know that :rollside: :)

Moneypitt
01-23-2006, 07:38 AM
Even if APBA approves it I dont think it will change much. There was only 2 to 3 K's showin up when there wasnt a capsule rule :idea:
Hater, What year was that? I know the KRA left APBA looking for greener pastures sometime in the early 90s. But I also remember 7 or 8 western Ks at Burley in 91. Only time will tell and getting APBA to change the rule will be an uphill battle. As far as Gordie's record goes, I never said it would be easy, or a sure thing, but records are made to be broken.

dossangers
01-23-2006, 09:23 AM
I concur with this COMMENTGordy & I go round and round all the time (at each other). And he's a great friend. But by no means do I have the experience that it would take to be a competitive driver in a K-boat. Running fast at the river is a totally different deal then in a race and I know that. That said... going to Burley to be competitive just wouldn't be fisable. Now going to Burley to have fun and run the boat would be a different story. I've been in the sport long enough to know that going into a corner with 6 or 7 different boats at one time is tough. Not to mention worrying about getting my boat SCRATCHED!!!! :rollside: .

Sked
01-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Sorry to report that Duff's proposal failed miserably in a preliminary IRC polling. (10 to 4 against the proposal) It's not the final vote on the matter, that will come at the national meeting. But after seeing the preliminary results, I'm positive that capsules will remain mandatory for the APBA K boats.
It would be nice to have an organization capable of promoting circle boat racing unlike the APBA who puts promoting safety equipment ahead of promoting the sport.

CircleJerk
01-23-2006, 10:56 AM
It wasn't trick photography JeRk. . As far as the mixed up cylinders I run the engine pretty fat. It cleans up on the big end and would probably be quicker if I leaned the engine out. Problem being that my pockets aren't as deep as yours... :rollside:
OK....I know about FAT! In 1984 we ran our BBC 6.84 at 210 when other BADs Hemis were 6.00s at 250! If we had 2-3 threads of heat we fattened the main and high speed! Does anyone run a high speed lean out at all? We used to have a 9 volt battery that activated a high speed solenoid. When the driver had control in high gear, he would hit the button! This eliminated the diaphram lean out question. Sorry if this is old fashioned sounding but consider the source! We would burn about 3 gallons in a 1/4 if memory serves with 500 cubes.
Now the race boat is so FAT, I use three gallons in a 3 mile race!! NO BROKEN STUFF FOR ME! Paalease

CircleJerk
01-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Sorry to report that Duff's proposal failed miserably in a preliminary IRC polling. (10 to 4 against the proposal) It's not the final vote on the matter, that will come at the national meeting. But after seeing the preliminary results, I'm positive that capsules will remain mandatory for the APBA K boats.
It would be nice to have an organization capable of promoting circle boat racing unlike the APBA who puts promoting safety equipment ahead of promoting the sport.
ONce agAin, I loOk stuPiD, but i am uSed to it By nOw! :) Thanks MR. SKEDSTER

gnRacer98
01-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Please tell me I'm reading this wrong? You think that promotion should have priority over safety? Do you honestly think that death and injury will help promote boat racing and encourage new participants? From my experience the recent tragedies have driven more people from the sport more than anything else I know. Whether capsules are the answer or not remains to be seen, but the hillbilly attitude of "you know the risk" is what is killing this sport.

Moneypitt
01-23-2006, 12:58 PM
It was good while it lasted, too bad, it would've been great to see um back........MP

mcfrance
01-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by JSSK88
...It would be nice to have an organization capable of promoting circle boat racing unlike the APBA who puts promoting safety equipment ahead of promoting the sport.
What sport is there to promote if the racers are dead? This is one of the most stupid statements I have ever heard or read.

FlatStupid
01-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Without getting too uppity here. I think safety is the issue here. It's one thing to go and lay down a buckforty pass in a thirty year old hull. ( not that isnt way ballsy!) It's entirely another matter to go run 18 to 20 4 lap RACES a year with 4 to 6 other boats in the water! Let somebody else get hurt in one of these boats and see how long the line is to promote them. We have to make it as safe as possible or all will be lost as far as the racing end of it goes! Is a capsule the end all, be all, probably not, but it's a place to start. Just my opinion and we all know about those. :p BUT the discussion is great and yes BB kept the K'S alive!

Moneypitt
01-23-2006, 05:49 PM
I think the rule change was based on factual statistics. I don't think they are promoting safety over boat count, I agree with Duff that the K flats are unfairly singled out when compared to the other flatbottom classes. I don't buy the idea about the lap times being equal to the SS and PS boats because I have eyes and can see the difference in straightaway speeds. That said, I still think there could be some sort of compromise, a shorter front/back straight, 5 laps instead of 4 to cover the same distance, blower OD restrictions like the GNs, etc. I don't think anyone here is discounting safety, maybe just venting a little with a poor choice of words................MP

downunder race fan
01-24-2006, 12:00 AM
guys i have a solution to all your problems ! just pack all those non capsule k- boats onto a big boat bound for AUSTRALIA ,bring all your friends and come racing downunder ! No capsule rule,no cubic inch limit,no blower limits PSI/rootes/ whipple who cares .flat bottom/v-bottom it dont matter . no length limit ,no fuel rule, Turbos ? bring em on ! want the chance to race against GP hydros and F1 outboards all in the one race ? guys come on down the weathers great , the women are hot ,and the Beers the best you will ever get !! The place to be is a little town called Taree NSW about 3hr drive north of Sydney, for the EASTER POWERBOAT CLASSIC. so guys pack em up and head downunder we would love to have you and your boats. did i mention how good the beer is ??

Moneypitt
01-24-2006, 08:41 AM
D U R F.........Now that is a pleasure to read. What a great idea, head down under to race anything and everything in bitchen weather, very few if any rules, hotest women, liberal bikini laws, and the beer, he did say beer... I would do it in a heart beat right after I hit the lottery. MP

DAVEY B
01-24-2006, 02:29 PM
guys i have a solution to all your problems ! just pack all those non capsule k- boats onto a big boat bound for AUSTRALIA ,bring all your friends and come racing downunder ! No capsule rule,no cubic inch limit,no blower limits PSI/rootes/ whipple who cares .flat bottom/v-bottom it dont matter . no length limit ,no fuel rule, Turbos ? bring em on ! want the chance to race against GP hydros and F1 outboards all in the one race ? guys come on down the weathers great , the women are hot ,and the Beers the best you will ever get !! The place to be is a little town called Taree NSW about 3hr drive north of Sydney, for the EASTER POWERBOAT CLASSIC. so guys pack em up and head downunder we would love to have you and your boats. did i mention how good the beer is ??
Went there 3 years ago and had a great time. The people where great! We went to Dargle and Melburn and had a great time watching the BAD boats and 6.ol unlimited. Love to go again just don't like sitting 15 hrs. on a plane. :cry:

Stab-n-Steer
01-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Downunder,
Sign me up! How about throwing in some crackers for good measure? I went "downunder" a few times in the late eighties to race sprint cars with Jeff Gordon and his dad. You guys know how to host a party!!! The women ARE hot and the guys are "men's men". Best of all, you Aussie's like Americans. I've never had so much fun in my life! Drank a tanker load of Swan Lager and forgot to sleep the whole time I was there... Jeff was just 15 the first trip in '87. Danny "The Dude" Lasoski, Jimmy Sills and me took him to the nude beach without his Dad's knowledge. I thought his eyes were going to pop out of his head! We still laugh about that today...
S&S

downunder race fan
01-25-2006, 02:13 AM
Start buying those lottery tickets guys , i will organise the women ,the beer and the boats just get down here !! This Easter will be a huge race meeting 10 gp hydros,15 or more BAD boats and full fields of 6 litre injected and 6 litre carb boats,nostalgia hydros the list goes on ! 90mph to 180mph action and the only thing better than the beer is the BUNDABERG RUM !!
remember the exchange rate $ 1.00 US is about $1.25 AUS so you guys actually make money just by flying down here ! ya cant get a better deal than that.

Moneypitt
02-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Ross has enlightened the BRF board with some news about the non capped Ks returning to APBA competition. I'm sure he'll post it over here as well, but just let me say YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAWWWWWWWW..............Welcome back from Ft Lauderdale Ross......................Ray

rossdbos
02-01-2006, 03:40 PM
To all:
The K issue that Duff raised at that IRC meeting Ft. Lauderdale was with the support of myself, Dave Rankin, Jeff Wooton, Mark Maier(sp?) (Burley, ID Chair) and believe it or not Bob Wartinger (the Safety authority for APBA himself). We presented a concise business plan/roadmap to get to full encapsulation and put restrictions on the open cockpit K's (a modified IHBA rule)- max 470 c.i. with max 8-71 blowers, drivers must wear Kevlar suits. These measures do not apply to the encapsulated K's. After the proposal was massaged and reworked it was presented on Saturday Morning to the commission and it was voted in by 12 or 13 to 4 vote. Now, it has to go before the APBA BOD but if this is adopted it will go into effect immediately and I will have them on at March Bakersfield, April Parker and Long Beach in August. Some good news, on the West Coast, Tony Scarlata has built one (an encapsulated K), and another one imported from the East Coast (Pat Eason's) is here and may be participating and I'm told others are leaning that way. Clearly the issue of forced mandate only drove the K boats out of APBA over to either the NKRA or IHBA. Regardless, the IRC was reminded of it's primary duty to "promote and grow the sport of boat racing" in a safe and effective manner. The K's have a better track record than some of the other Inboard Flatbottom classes but the K's were the "sacrificial lamb" a few years ago when the SS and Pro Stock mandate was overturned. As a capsule driver myself I would love to see every boat over 85 mph be encapsulated but alas that is just my opinion and has no bearing on this or any inboard business. If the rules are adopted, and we should know within a week or so, half the battle is over and the open cockpit K's will be back however this class will be heavily monitored with reports that I, Dave Rankin, Mike Allen and Duff Daily have to report on and send in after every APBA K event to the IRC. If it looks like too much exposed liability the IRC has the ability to "pull the plug". The future rests on the BOD and then the driver's themselves. IHBA has been successful and their data proves it. The K's are a great crowd pleaser let's all work to make it better, safer and more exciting!
Sincerely,
Ross Wallach, SCSC/RPM RACING ENT. :cool:

ColeTR2
02-01-2006, 04:48 PM
To all:
The K issue that Duff raised at that IRC meeting Ft. Lauderdale was with the support of myself, Dave Rankin, Jeff Wooton, Mark Maier(sp?) (Burley, ID Chair) and believe it or not Bob Wartinger (the Safety authority for APBA himself). We presented a concise business plan/roadmap to get to full encapsulation and put restrictions on the open cockpit K's (a modified IHBA rule)- max 470 c.i. with max 8-71 blowers, drivers must wear Kevlar suits. These measures do not apply to the encapsulated K's. After the proposal was massaged and reworked it was presented on Saturday Morning to the commission and it was voted in by 12 or 13 to 4 vote. Now, it has to go before the APBA BOD but if this is adopted it will go into effect immediately and I will have them on at March Bakersfield, April Parker and Long Beach in August. Some good news, on the West Coast, Tony Scarlata has built one (an encapsulated K), and another one imported from the East Coast (Pat Eason's) is here and may be participating and I'm told others are leaning that way. Clearly the issue of forced mandate only drove the K boats out of APBA over to either the NKRA or IHBA. Regardless, the IRC was reminded of it's primary duty to "promote and grow the sport of boat racing" in a safe and effective manner. The K's have a better track record than some of the other Inboard Flatbottom classes but the K's were the "sacrificial lamb" a few years ago when the SS and Pro Stock mandate was overturned. As a capsule driver myself I would love to see every boat over 85 mph be encapsulated but alas that is just my opinion and has no bearing on this or any inboard business. If the rules are adopted, and we should know within a week or so, half the battle is over and the open cockpit K's will be back however this class will be heavily monitored with reports that I, Dave Rankin, Mike Allen and Duff Daily have to report on and send in after every APBA K event to the IRC. If it looks like too much exposed liability the IRC has the ability to "pull the plug". The future rests on the BOD and then the driver's themselves. IHBA has been successful and their data proves it. The K's are a great crowd pleaser let's all work to make it better, safer and more exciting!
Sincerely,
Ross Wallach, SCSC/RPM RACING ENT. :cool:
Ross, As a spectator that is great news for us to!

CircleJerk
02-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Yee of little faith! Saw it coming in my crystal helmet weeks ago!

MAXIMUS
02-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Does this mean that zoomies would be allowed at long beach?

Moneypitt
02-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Aren't some of the GNs running zoomies? Or are they still required to have the 45* extension. Boy I hope the Ks can run their ZOOMIES, it won't be the same they can't.............MP

GofastRacer
02-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Aren't some of the GNs running zoomies? Or are they still required to have the 45* extension. Boy I hope the Ks can run their ZOOMIES, it won't be the same they can't.............MP
I remember the K's running headers with Flomasters at Long Beach!..

Moneypitt
02-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Art, I think those mufflers were from Wilkes Marine, and back then all the inboards had to have them. Mike has a set we never used because I refused to put them on, big, gray and ugly.....Since the re birth of LB marine stadium, the noise limits are on an event basis. So many minutes of noise on a given day. It is a wierd standard but has been working. Now, how the blown Ks are handled may not be the way we want it, ie: headers instead of Zoomies, I don't know. Hey Ross, jump in here anytime with the straight poop......Ray

V-DRIVE VIDEO
02-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Does this mean that zoomies would be allowed at long beach?
The last 2 times with any K's at the beach (01 and 02) they ran zoomies.

GofastRacer
02-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Art, I think those mufflers were from Wilkes Marine, and back then all the inboards had to have them. Mike has a set we never used because I refused to put them on, big, gray and ugly.....Since the re birth of LB marine stadium, the noise limits are on an event basis. So many minutes of noise on a given day. It is a wierd standard but has been working. Now, how the blown Ks are handled may not be the way we want it, ie: headers instead of Zoomies, I don't know. Hey Ross, jump in here anytime with the straight poop......Ray
Yes they were but he made them up from Flomasters!.. Was kinda interesting on the K's when the mufflers got a load of alky in them!.. :D

MAXIMUS
02-03-2006, 07:10 AM
The last 2 times with any K's at the beach (01 and 02) they ran zoomies.
Thats cool... :)

LeE ss13
02-03-2006, 09:17 AM
I still have a set of those FloMaster/Headers from the Wilkes COBRA days. One time I took the race boat to a local lake for testing with them on. When the guy in the registration office asked if I had mufflers, I just pointed to the boat. He did know what to think and had to call someone. I got to run it, but with the high compression and big camshaft, it was still loader than the average inboard. I was thinking of taking them to Parker this year just to see what Boat Cop would say about them.

FlatStupid
02-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Zoomies at the Beach!!!!!!!!! Thats what I'm talkin bout! Hope Scarlata gets that capsule boat built. :rollside: :)

GofastRacer
02-03-2006, 12:41 PM
I still have a set of those FloMaster/Headers from the Wilkes COBRA days. One time I took the race boat to a local lake for testing with them on. When the guy in the registration office asked if I had mufflers, I just pointed to the boat. He did know what to think and had to call someone. I got to run it, but with the high compression and big camshaft, it was still loader than the average inboard. I was thinking of taking them to Parker this year just to see what Boat Cop would say about them.
That would be interesting!..

Norseman
02-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Yes they were but he made them up from Flomasters!.. Was kinda interesting on the K's when the mufflers got a load of alky in them!.. :D
:crossx: :crossx:
Sounds like you need to put a sparkplug in them to keep them clear....... :220v:

GofastRacer
02-03-2006, 06:34 PM
:crossx: :crossx:
Sounds like you need to put a sparkplug in them to keep them clear....... :220v:
I don't know, that might just add to the kaboom, LOL...

CircleJerk
02-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Low rider flame throwers! Why not boats?

rossdbos
02-08-2006, 08:54 AM
2/8/2006-Just got the word, the APBA Board Of Directors has approved the rules and recomendations as approved by the Inboard Racing Commission from Ft. Lauderdale Nat'l Convention. The non-encapsulated K's are legal to race again in APBA under the following rules and restrictions:
Max. 470 C.I. with max. 8-71 Blower and Kevlar Driving Suit (Cut Suit).
Encapsulated K's are still Unrestricted.
I look forward to a great year of racing starting at the Season Opener in Bakersfield on March 4 & 5 then the Bluewater Spring Classic Invitational April 22 & 23 followed by the Long Beach Sprint Nationals at the famed historic Marine Stadium on August 12 & 13.
Let's have a safe and successful season the future now rests in the driver's hands.
Ross Wallach, SCSC/RPM Racing Ent. :cool:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
02-08-2006, 09:09 AM
2/8/2006-Just got the word, the APBA Board Of Directors has approved the rules and recomendations as approved by the Inboard Racing Commission from Ft. Lauderdale Nat'l Convention. The non-encapsulated K's are legal to race again in APBA under the following rules and restrictions:
Max. 470 C.I. with max. 8-71 Blower and Kevlar Driving Suit (Cut Suit).
Encapsulated K's are still Unrestricted.
I look forward to a great year of racing starting at the Season Opener in Bakersfield on March 4 & 5 then the Bluewater Spring Classic Invitational April 22 & 23 followed by the Long Beach Sprint Nationals at the famed historic Marine Stadium on August 12 & 13.
Let's have a safe and successful season the future now rests in the driver's hands.
Ross Wallach, SCSC/RPM Racing Ent. :cool:
Woo Hooo!

Jetboatguru
02-08-2006, 09:13 AM
nice!!!!

FlatStupid
02-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Class Bully will be there to lend our support! :D

Rattle Can Lou
02-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Burley oughta be great. Idaho will treat ya right. Naked girls. A keg a beer under every tree. Bands playing in the campground. Golf carts for every ass. Stoli on tap. Free coffee every morning. High flying smoke from the Hudster. Free custom paint from Belly B. This is going to be memorable....RCL

FlatStupid
02-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Can we make margeritas there too? :rolleyes:

Jetboatguru
02-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Burley oughta be great. Idaho will treat ya right. Naked girls. A keg a beer under every tree. Bands playing in the campground. Golf carts for every ass. Stoli on tap. Free coffee every morning. High flying smoke from the Hudster. Free custom paint from Belly B. This is going to be memorable....RCL
Probably where we will find Lou every morning! :p

Moneypitt
02-08-2006, 12:47 PM
It looks like RCL may have gotten too much So Cal Sunshine, maybe smuggled some back to the potato state for use behind closed doors. They don't have free coffee in the morning at Burley!!!!!!..........Ray

Sked
02-08-2006, 01:49 PM
In this instance I don't mind at all being wrong. :wink:
Would be nice to see the K's swap coasts for some races, especially for the APBA Nationals as well as some of the major West Coast events.

dossangers
02-08-2006, 04:51 PM
followed by the Long Beach Sprint Nationals at the famed historic Marine Stadium on August 12 & 13.WOW!!!!

Sked
02-08-2006, 09:18 PM
followed by the Long Beach Sprint Nationals at the famed historic Marine Stadium on August 12 & 13.WOW!!!!
That's what I'm talking about!
I know for the teams the time and the traveling gets costly, but it sure would be nice to get nearly every K boat in the country competing at the same race even if for only one time a year on each coast. With a little coordination between all the teams it could become a reality. One race in the middle of the country would be nice too, but with the exception of Morgan City, LA, which won't be run this year anyway because of Katrina, no other major events come to mind.

CircleJerk
02-09-2006, 12:06 PM
That's what I'm talking about!
I know for the teams the time and the traveling gets costly, but it sure would be nice to get nearly every K boat in the country competing at the same race even if for only one time a year on each coast. With a little coordination between all the teams it could become a reality. One race in the middle of the country would be nice too, but with the exception of Morgan City, LA, which won't be run this year anyway because of Katrina, no other major events come to mind.
That's it, I'm getting reservations, RCL is too! Billy, my driving suit will pack well! How's your guest room??? Is it hot in August? Air Conditioning? Pool? I dont think Jerry has any room left!
Sked, unlike anything you have heard here before, Thank you very much for your continued support of the Nosties, Flatbottom Racing, and now Ks and Es, and for your lifetime of inovative competitive boat building and the shared technology! You and your involved friends deserve a big AttaBoy from everyone! Horray APBA!

Flat Hall'N
02-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!! :rollside:

lilrick
02-09-2006, 07:20 PM
so whats up with a kevlar suit?? sounds expensive!!!

kipperps28
02-09-2006, 07:57 PM
A cut suit is cheaper than your ass. Call Security Race Products- they will hook you up (even can build a torso suit into the cut suit) 425-557-6508 is their #. Hey, by the way, last time I saw K's at Black Lake on a 1 1/4 mile record course, it was bitchin. Everyone is welcome to camp at my house (except Kenner...)

Chris Kenner - PS681
02-09-2006, 07:58 PM
The kevlar suit is a full length arms & legs cut resistant suit with built in flotation to protect the drivers torso, arms & legs. One of the best ideas to come into open cockpit boat racing in a long time & something all open boat drivers should have. I have had one for 2 years now & would not test or race a boat without it period!!!! You can even get it with a six point helmet restraint system built in to it, parachute etc...Call Scott or Tracy at SRP Race Products on 425 557 6508. Cost should not be a factor when something can you keep you safe & protected well. Quality safety equipment should always be high priority.

kipperps28
02-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Quit stepping on me, you lanky bastard.

Chris Kenner - PS681
02-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Dude I got my reservation in the spare room already booked in at the PS28 Manor for Lake Lawrence & Black Lake!! :)

Wildchild80
02-09-2006, 08:41 PM
A cut suit is cheaper than your ass. Call Security Race Products- they will hook you up (even can build a torso suit into the cut suit) 425-557-6508 is their #. Hey, by the way, last time I saw K's at Black Lake on a 1 1/4 mile record course, it was bitchin. Everyone is welcome to camp at my house (except Kenner...)
SS 80 team will be at Black Lake we will have about 7 1/2 people (Gordy) count us in as long as Kenner is not there

kipperps28
02-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Bring a blown Pfaff motor. I've got an orange boat that would look sweet with a hat...

Sked
02-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Sked, unlike anything you have heard here before, Thank you very much for your continued support of the Nosties, Flatbottom Racing, and now Ks and Es, and for your lifetime of inovative competitive boat building and the shared technology! You and your involved friends deserve a big AttaBoy from everyone! Horray APBA!
Thanks for the kind words. It's especially gratifying coming from such a great supporter and promoter of flatbottoms such as yourself. There are many others though that equally deserve credit, if not more so. People like Ross Wallach, Jeff Wooton, Julian Rucki, and Duff Daily, just to name a few, along with the many supporters within the flatbottom classes. Hopefully, together we can all work to move flatbottom sprint boat racing to the forefront of all powerboat racing, where it belongs.