PDA

View Full Version : Banks turbo set up questions.

Jay321
11-10-2006, 10:44 AM
I have two gale banks twin turbo set ups and I am in the process of the first install on my Condor TX-19 and was wondering if anyone had an installation guide? How do the water hoses hook up? Which is best a single or dual plane intake? Does any one know the HP & TQ numbers for these systems? One system has new Ray Jay 301E-10 turbos with an internal bypass that is 5/8" and the others system has the same turbos with 1/2" bypass. The later needs the turbos rebuilt. How much boost can be expected? If new turbos where bought how big could I go with this system and still fit with in the turbo water cooled heat shields and how much power could this updated system make. Does the carb need to be boost referenced? Thanks for info you can give me. I would be happy to pay anyone the cost of copying and mailing of any old install manuals if they are out there.

Jay321
11-12-2006, 02:24 PM
any thoughts out there from anyone? Is there anyone running a gale banks twin turbo on there jet boat?

79centurion
11-12-2006, 02:51 PM
I have an old system on my daycruiser. It puts out 5 lbs of boost. It is on a all stocl 460 down to the cast iron intake. I turns a A impeller 4200 rpms.
Dan

Red Rocket
11-12-2006, 03:02 PM
I have a system on my deck boat, It's a 532" BBC with rajay 301e"s, large aftercooler, dual 850 carbs, no waste gates just by-pass holes in the ex housing. It makes 15lbs of boost and 1000plus HP and TQ runs on 100 octane fuel and spins AA impellar 6200 to 6300 rpm.

Jay321
11-12-2006, 03:42 PM
do you know the size of the bypass holes. My system is a single carb setup,though I saw a link to get carb adaptors to convert to a dual carb setup. From reading other posts, I understand that the carbs must be boost referenced. I'm putting the system on a 468" chevy. It has closed chambered rect. port heads on the motor know. I do have a set of brodix heads that I can use. I was going to try it with the Iron heads if the 5/8" bypass holes kept the boost down low enough to run pump gas. I am planning to build a 509 or larger motor in the future. The boat will run low 80's with a bronze B impeller at 5200 RPM. It will run mid 70's with a AA impeller and only 4400 RPM.

Red Rocket
11-12-2006, 07:06 PM
I have 1/2" by-pass holes, as far as boost ref. I only ref the secondaries on my set up. I would not count on being able to run pump gas with those closed chamber iron heads. There are alot of other factors to keep in mind, cam, static compression, and aftercooler, those systems aren't always very forgiving if the tune up gets away from you.

Jay321
11-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Red Rocket, Thanks for the info. I agree the closed chambered heads are probably not the way to go, esp. with a set of alum. open chamber brodix on hand. They have been worked by Kevin Self at Durant, OK.
I bet your Deck boat is flying with the numbers you stated on your 532" and AA imp. wow! How fast will it run?

GREENLEAF13
11-13-2006, 10:21 AM
I just recently finished a rebuild with banks turbos, 454 +.30, 990 open chamber heads, 8.5-1 forged pistons, engle tcs7 cam, rajay 370-E80 turbos with 1/2'' bypass holes, large banks intercooler. I've only run it twice, makes 12lbs boost at 5500ft elevation, and 10lbs at 7500ft, not sure exactly what it'll turn my impellar, i've seen 6000 rpm but havent stayed in the throttle for more than a few seconds, stainless berk A imp. I'm in the process of trying to tune it correctly, powervalves, referencing, jets etc, I think i am going to pull the turbo's and enlarge the bypass holes, to much boost for pump gas! Either way these systems seem to make pretty good power!

Jay321
11-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Greenleaf13, Thanks for the info. sounds like you have a great combo. I bet you would get 15lbs. boost if you got down to 3000 ft. Probably to much for pump gas. Do you have O2 sensor to tune by? One of my systems has the 1/2" bypass the other has 5/8" bypass. I wonder how the Ray Jay 370-E80 turbo compares to the 301-E10? I have a compressor map of the 370E turbo. I wish I could find one for the 301E. I don't know if the maps would be the same. Your map is in the HP Books
Turbochargers. I have a feeling I am going to be better off doing what you did and build my motor for the turbo set-up. I would hate to hurt the motor I have because it is working good for a single carb iron motor.

GREENLEAF13
11-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Jay 321, I'm not sure of the differences between the turbos, be interesting to know. I was completly green on this turbo stuff until about 7 months ago, I think i'm a believer now! Still not in the clear though until i can get the boost down, i really dont want to HAVE to run race fuel, motorcycles and my snowmobiles ok but not 40 gals at a time in the boat. I'm told 7-8lbs boost as long as timing is correct is safe for pump. I have a good portion of a banks manual with plumbing, fuel, and oiling diagrams i got from a board member here a while back it was really helpful, i'd be glad to pass it on to you, pm or post your fax # and i'll send it over.

Red Rocket
11-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Red Rocket, Thanks for the info. I agree the closed chambered heads are probably not the way to go, esp. with a set of alum. open chamber brodix on hand. They have been worked by Kevin Self at Durant, OK.
I bet your Deck boat is flying with the numbers you stated on your 532" and AA imp. wow! How fast will it run?
It runs low 90's, but I'm most impressed with fuel mileage if you keep it out of boost. I went on trip from lake mohave to Hoover Dam about 100 miles on the amount of fuel the boat holds.

Jay321
11-13-2006, 07:22 PM
That sounds great Red Rocket. It would be hard for me to stay out of boost!!
I wonder how a person can tell what stage of Banks system he has. GreenLeaf sent me some cool info. Thank You GreenLeaf. I didn't see anything about boost levels, was more engine specs etc. as it relates to stage level. I wonder how many stages banks made. Both of my systems have the larger intercooler!!
From reading the info I can see I might as well count on starting fresh vs. just adding the system on the motor I have in my TX-19. My race motor in my cheyenne is 15:1 CR no chance of slapping it onto it. It already makes 990Hp and 787 tq. with tunnel ram and 2-4s. A close friend at Westech Perf. built the race motor for me. It runs high one teens and mid to high 8's. Still this turbo thing has got under my skin. I would love to get my TX going faster and still live on 93 gas. This hid under a motor cover would make a killer sleeper. I wonder if a guy could put wastegates on this system use some TO4's with a boost dial and switch for pump gas to race gas when you had the need for speed. There is a guy on Texoma that did this with a banks system (I think) in a 20ft. Youngblood and it will run in the teens from what I have heard. I don't want to go near as far as unchained did with his awesome set-up. Man that thing is wicked and is nice to look at as well.

Red Rocket
11-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Are you talking about Steve Brule from westech? I'm good friends with Steve he dynoed the turbo motor for me. I race at NJBA with Steve. What motor did he build for you? He was working on a 555 with AFR heads for someone I believe in Oklahoma back when we ran my turbo motor.

Jay321
11-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Wow, it sure is a small world. Yes, Steve is the one and yes that was my 555. Man I'm glsd I didn't BS the dyno #s or you could have nailed me on that one. I have talked with Steve about your boat. In fact he said he would ask you some stuff for me. I guess I am getting some of my answers now. I still haven't put the spray on my 555. Can only imagine. I was waiting until I get my new Cheyenne. I am the guy that got the cheyenne molds out of captive! A good friend of mine, Ervin Capps, the old Condor Boats guy, is building them now. He builds an awesome boat. Still got my Papp Cheyenne also, to good of a boat to let go of. I guess I'm boat poor when you consider the the jets and the master craft ski boat. Crap I can't believe my wife hasn't run me off over them. Well Red Rocket its good to meet. Tell Steve hi if you talk to him before me. I am sure I will have more questions as I progress with this turbo motor. Hope ya don't mind! Jay

wahweap
02-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I am looking for info, set-up, etc. for a 460 with twin Banks and another poster said that you had provided him with some sort of info ? Thanks, Mike.I just recently finished a rebuild with banks turbos, 454 +.30, 990 open chamber heads, 8.5-1 forged pistons, engle tcs7 cam, rajay 370-E80 turbos with 1/2'' bypass holes, large banks intercooler. I've only run it twice, makes 12lbs boost at 5500ft elevation, and 10lbs at 7500ft, not sure exactly what it'll turn my impellar, i've seen 6000 rpm but havent stayed in the throttle for more than a few seconds, stainless berk A imp. I'm in the process of trying to tune it correctly, powervalves, referencing, jets etc, I think i am going to pull the turbo's and enlarge the bypass holes, to much boost for pump gas! Either way these systems seem to make pretty good power!

maustin
02-05-2007, 09:51 AM
I have a Rajay maintenance and repair manual I can email to anyone intersted.Just send your email address to maustin195@aol.com.

FASTJTBT
02-05-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a complete 540 ci set up for sale built by Bill Dunsmore low hours big hp

Jay321
02-08-2007, 12:01 PM
FastJTJB, How much do you want for your system? Do you have any pics you can post of your system. What big numbers are you talking about? Can you give more info on the system? Jay

sstjet
09-14-2007, 07:26 PM
would you be interseted in selling your 2nd kit?

Rexone
09-15-2007, 12:21 AM
You might contact Obnoxious001, he used to work at Banks during that era.

obnoxious001
09-15-2007, 12:52 AM
You might contact Obnoxious001, he used to work at Banks during that era.
Hmm,, that makes me sound ancient, but then again, I worked at Rex Marine before you bought it too.
I do have pretty good recall on the Banks information, even though I don't have printed instructions, happy to share what I know.

obnoxious001
09-15-2007, 12:58 AM
, I think i am going to pull the turbo's and enlarge the bypass holes, to much boost for pump gas!
I would try going to a 5/8" bypass, not quite sure why you are making so much boost with a 1/2" hole. I don't recall Banks sending out anything larger than 5/8" bypass when I worked there, and you are running the same TCS 7 cam and 990 heads that would have been run and/or suggested at the time. Some of the kits went onto "stock" marine LS6 engines that had forged pistons, 8.8-1 compresson, but his higher performance level engines had Arias 7-1 reverse deflector pistons installed.

Hass828
09-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Dr. Jay , I'm the guy who is running the banks set up at lake Texoma. I'm running them with two waste gates that can be turned down to 10psi or up to 25psi. I've changed out the rayjay turbos for T04'sfrom turbonetics because the are less expensive and are easier to find and have been very durable. I've had this set on this engine for 6yrs with no failures.I'mcontroling the waste gates with a Gretty computerized controller. The real kicker is that I also use a 400hp shot of nos. I'll also add that Ive never hurt a Piston, rod,crank or any other piece of the bottom end in the 10 plus years that Ive been racing this engine. I've recently bought the unchained boat from Mark . So far its proving to be quite a bit faster than my old tx20 youngblood. I have all of the information on plumbing and history on the old banks system call me and I'll share it with you and mail you some coppies of literature that I have.580-564-7242

Hass828
09-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi Dr. Jay , I'm the guy who is running the banks set up at lake Texoma. I'm running them with two waste gates that can be turned down to 10psi or up to 25psi. I've changed out the rayjay turbos for T04'sfrom turbonetics because the are less expensive and are easier to find and have been very durable. I've had this set on this engine for 6yrs with no failures.I'mcontroling the waste gates with a Gretty computerized controller. The real kicker is that I also use a 400hp shot of nos. I'll also add that Ive never hurt a Piston, rod,crank or any other piece of the bottom end in the 10 plus years that Ive been racing this engine. I've recently bought the unchained boat from Mark . So far its proving to be quite a bit faster than my old tx20 youngblood. I have all of the information on plumbing and history on the old banks system call me and I'll share it with you and mail you some coppies of literature that I have.

old runner
09-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Red rocket..are you still running the banks exhaust on your 532?? I did't think they would work that good on a big cubed motor! A guy told me that someone had made some nice after market exhaust for these set ups that made alot more power ! "LEE" maybe...I never seen anyone make 1000plus out of a set up like this! Just as I was thinking of going bigger cubes! It's good to hear! Mine makes 12 lbs with the single 850! I love it...it's been a great set up! I have merlin heads...and I use a vr jr intake and a comp cam! I still have the dual plane intake that it came with...I assume it would probably make some better low end power! I might give it a whirl,...! No matter what gears...in my v-drive is spins 6000rms...in a day criuser...6000rpms in a flat with a 2 speed powerglide and 38..6000! It idles sweet...It's alot of fun...and good on fuel!

paul2112
02-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Hey does anyone know if Hass828/ Jay321 or greenleaf13 is still around? I am looking for any if on these older banks twin turbo systems,,Thanks

Hass828
02-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Hey does anyone know if Hass828/ Jay321 or greenleaf13 is still around? I am looking for any if on these older banks twin turbo systems,,Thanks

I'm still here, I'll pm you my phone # for any more questions.

78_Tahiti
03-18-2011, 09:05 PM
WOW! Hi Hass828! I wondered if any of you guys still checked in. I as well have run into an old Banks system. Im thinking about installing it on my 460, 20 Jet. Any info you have on these systems would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Steve Mac

Hass828
03-19-2011, 02:59 AM
I have recently sold my old draw through deal and stepped the program up a tad. Here's the new deal, 555cid twin turbo , blowthrough C&S carb, aluminum brodix block, brodix BB2 xtra c&c'd heads , intercooler,cam designed by Steve Morris
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Hass828/HPIM2519.jpg

78_Tahiti
03-20-2011, 04:28 AM
That looks sweet man! That setup looks like it really cooks!