PDA

View Full Version : Tow vehicle trouble

infotraker
07-01-2002, 05:54 AM
Need some quick advice on my local tow vehicle (86 Nissan 6cyl 4wd). Towed boat 200 miles ok, stopped, now will start ok and stop (starts stumbling then dies) after about 5 minutes. Wont start again for about 10 minutes. Gas to injection ok and has spark to plug. Changed plugs, cap, rotor and filter (all were old). No change, no loose wires or hoses. Need to tow again soon !!! Thanks for any ideas.

Sangster 79
07-01-2002, 06:28 AM
Buy a FORD

SWW
07-01-2002, 06:42 AM
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003040.html

Costello
07-01-2002, 08:36 AM
Infotracker, Sounds like it may be vapor lock. I had a Shovelhead 15 years ago that did that to me when it was real hot outside.

superdave013
07-01-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by SWW:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003040.html
That one is sold.
Infotracker, I have no idea what's wrong with your truck. But I hope you're pulling a very small boat with it. I used to tow a flat with a Ford Ranger. It pulled it ok but stopping was the problem. If I hit the brakes hard the boat all most ran over the truck. I think the smallest tow rig should be a full size 1/2 ton pickup.

rrrr
07-01-2002, 11:14 AM
May be the fuel pump. It is either in the tank or mounted on the frame rail. You will need to put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail to see what you have, it should be at least 35 PSI with the engine running.

HAVASANGER
07-01-2002, 05:36 PM
Change the fuel filter, if you already did recently, do it again.

HammerDown
07-01-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Costello:
Infotracker, Sounds like it may be vapor lock. I had a Shovelhead 15 years ago that did that to me when it was real hot outside.
A ShovelHead and a Nissan, thats quite a comparison...now thats funny. And I'm not busting on anyone...I have a ShovelHead and way back when, I also had a Nissan...but never admit to the Nissan!

Costello
07-02-2002, 08:14 PM
Hammerdown, I wouldn't admit to the Nissan either. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Under a huge load for that truck, towing in hot weather MAY be causing Info's Nissan to vapor lock. The signs and symptoms are the same.

Sangster 79
07-03-2002, 06:06 AM
My sons 2000 Chevy/4x4/4 door/dually w/454 is doing the same frickin thing..At first it would begin to miss/try to die then clear out and run fine..Took it to the dealer, they can't find the problem. Last night while at work he tried to start it, would not start at all.. Poped the hood and looked around, wiggled acouple wires and it started up and ran fine...We think it's the coil wire / coil. At first we thought it was the fuel pump. The distributer is near impossible to get to see in that thing let alone get the cap on and off. Had to make a few special tools jest to get the cap off.I'll let ya know if it worked.. I'll never bitch about having to lean over the side of the hydro to change jets again......Good luck
[This message has been edited by Sangster 79 (edited July 03, 2002).]

infotraker
07-03-2002, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info. Now getting back to working on the problem. Parts houses say it may be the ignition control module, $150 and no return. I might just need to get it towed to a dealer for diagnosis as just changing parts can get really expensive. The truck works fine for local towing of the hydro and the flat bottom, do not go up many hills. I'll let you know what finally fixes the problem.