PDA

View Full Version : Who says you can't fight city hall??

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-21-2006, 07:46 AM
. . . or in this case the county of Riverside.
As some of you know, we're in a battle with the county over an eminent domain issue regarding our ranch. They want to take part of it for the developers to dump their storm drain runoff onto. We finally got the press to come out and take notice. We had a community meeting last week in which about 40-50 of our neighbors showed up to also voice their opposition to the project for various reasons.
We did have good news yesterday. Jeff went to a meeting at RC Flood Control and convinced them to survey other possible routes that would not negatively impact us and our neighbors.
The fight is not over yet, but we seem to be making a little headway.
Californian Article (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/01/21/news/californian/22_38_561_20_06.txt)

MagicMtnDan
01-21-2006, 07:48 AM
I wish you the best of luck and success with your fight!
There is nothing more sacred than our freedoms and one that I hold dear to me is the rights we SHOULD have as property owners! We own it - it's ours - no one should be able to touch it or take it away!

Hardly Satisfied
01-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Good luck, sorry to hear what you are going though with your family.Keep us posted

fat rat
01-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Sometimes you got to stand up and fight...........good luck!

Debbolas
01-21-2006, 09:01 AM
.............Crossing our fingers for you guys!!
Will we see you tonight?
:)

HocusPocus
01-21-2006, 09:07 AM
"eminent domain".. i hate those words! good luck on the fight to keep what is yours.

C-2
01-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Great job guys, you just lit a fire under their arses! Sounds like you two have been doing your homework and it has paid off. Keep up the fight, you are making good progress, I love the common sense tax argument.....DOH!
Outstanding pro-active approach.

Brooski
01-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Good luck on your fight, and dont give up. Looks like you are slowing cutting into the red tape of government. Typical government bull, we are going to put it there, but you will be responsible for it, but you cant change it... :mad:

Dave C
01-21-2006, 10:48 AM
That whole thing is a bunch of bull.... they should be protecting your property rights but instead they are obliged to rule in favor of "new tax base"...... total B.S!!
Good luck with your fight
This is classic B.S.:
"Stone, whose district includes Menifee, has never heard of the project, said Ron Roberts, a Stone staffer who handles water issues. Roberts said he also is unfamiliar with the case.
But county records show that in December, Stone voted to approve moving ahead with condemnation proceedings."

CARLSON-JET
01-21-2006, 12:56 PM
My first instinc is to follow your love of your ranch, Fight Fight Fight. But what is happening around you? is the "Ranch" feeling soon dissapearing, which you have NO control over? Unfortunatly times/places change. Opportunity?? Can you Get them to build a really nice large pond. Subdivide the land. sell off the lots as waterfront property. move a little farther out.. sounds like the ranch is getting closed in. I hate proggress that detracts from the feeling of rural living, but I guess I'm just getting old. they have razed every farm/ranch they could around my neck of the woods and all the superstores and strip malls are popping up in a disporportionate amount to the population. "They" are moving in and cleaning up. We (the little guy) should not be stolen from, and this is what this type of action amounts to. Good luck in what ever path you take. R.B.

Scream
01-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Good luck Angie and Jeff... I wonder how much the developer has contributed to the coffers of the council members that are championing thier cause. It seems really unbelieveable that they would consider holding you liable for any contamination that is caused by this. Seems like a new breed of Robber Barrons.
Scream

HCS
01-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Nothing is sacred anymore.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Good luck Angie and Jeff... I wonder how much the developer has contributed to the coffers of the council members that are championing thier cause. It seems really unbelieveable that they would consider holding you liable for any contamination that is caused by this. Seems like a new breed of Robber Barrons.
Scream
You would not believe the stuff that they put in that "contract". It is absolutely unreal. I can't believe they expected us to sign that. C-2, thanks for your advice on the subject matter that you gave. We haven't won yet, but I think we have made them realize that just because we are country bumpkins, we are not idiots. Forecast has been ready to build and waiting for us for around a year now, and cannot move forward until it is resolved. That is costing them a LOT of money every single day. :p

Tinkerer
01-21-2006, 01:38 PM
If that was on my property the drain line would keep getting plugged up.
BOOM :mad:

Sportin' Wood
01-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Great job guys, you just lit a fire under their arses! Sounds like you two have been doing your homework and it has paid off. Keep up the fight, you are making good progress, I love the common sense tax argument.....DOH!
Outstanding pro-active approach.
Thanks C2, You have been a great help. I don't think I could have gotten this far with out your 2 cents along the way. I think I ruffled a few feathers because an associate that is the self proclaimed voice of Menifee called me today to tell me he got an a$$ chewing from an unnamed member of the county. They wanted to know what he had to do with all this. He said it was the greatest feeling to say nothing!
I'm going to keep fighting as long as I can. The internet is the greatest tool for this kind of thing. I may not win the war but I'm gonna win a few battles along he way. Hell when its all said and done I may run for Supervisor!

Moneypitt
01-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Find a mating pair of spotted owls, or some kind of endangered frogs and "adopt" them onto your land. That alone could take the developer decades to get around..........Good Luck, MP

Brooski
01-22-2006, 12:28 AM
Find a mating pair of spotted owls, or some kind of endangered frogs and "adopt" them onto your land. That alone could take the developer decades to get around..........Good Luck, MP
EXCELLENT IDEA!!! :idea: :idea:

havasu5150
01-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Yesterday 09:34 PM
That area is famous for the Kangaroo Rat isn't it?

Ultrafied
01-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Good luck with your fight. I work with RC on a lot of their storm drain projects (for relocation of our electrical facilities) and I know it can be a long, argues battle. Remember though, as people move into new demographics, this type of action can and will be necessary. If not today, then tomorrow. Although I don't believe in eminent domain, I do feel the developer that has this project should be in discussion with you for compensation for your loss. Flood control is necessary for all as developments come in. :D

lewiville
01-23-2006, 02:40 PM
. . . or in this case the county of Riverside.
As some of you know, we're in a battle with the county over an eminent domain issue regarding our ranch. They want to take part of it for the developers to dump their storm drain runoff onto. We finally got the press to come out and take notice. We had a community meeting last week in which about 40-50 of our neighbors showed up to also voice their opposition to the project for various reasons.
We did have good news yesterday. Jeff went to a meeting at RC Flood Control and convinced them to survey other possible routes that would not negatively impact us and our neighbors.
The fight is not over yet, but we seem to be making a little headway.
Californian Article (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/01/21/news/californian/22_38_561_20_06.txt)
I know a awsome realestate attorney that could kick the county's a$$. He is a personal friend of mine and has sued Cal Trans several time for eminate domain and won millions. PM me and I can give you his Name

Sportin' Wood
01-23-2006, 04:45 PM
I know a awsome realestate attorney that could kick the county's a$$. He is a personal friend of mine and has sued Cal Trans several time for eminate domain and won millions. PM me and I can give you his Name
PM sent. Thanks