PDA

View Full Version : Who's bird is better !

beerjet
11-10-2006, 07:06 PM
How do you guys (or girls) make a juicy turkey ! Cough up grandma's secret .

riverroyal
11-10-2006, 07:08 PM
How do you guys (or girls) make a juicy turkey ! Cough up grandma's secret .
precooked,all you do is heat.Leaves more time to drink

beerjet
11-10-2006, 07:12 PM
I'll do that for christmas since I'll be spending it alone this year again .

JB in so cal
11-10-2006, 07:13 PM
We may have a better solution for you :) Just gotta get there with your drinking shoes on :cool:

Jbb
11-10-2006, 07:14 PM
A quart of Scotch....a bottle of Valium......a box of Kleenex.....and a vintage Marilyn Chambers movie on 8 mm......is how Brown spends the Holidays....

slowinhavasu
11-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Deep fry...nothin else like it..I'm going to try something new this year, gonna shoot it up first...let you know how it turns out....

Tom Brown
11-10-2006, 07:22 PM
A quart of Scotch....a bottle of Valium......a box of Kleenex.....and a vintage Marilyn Chambers movie on 8 mm......is how Brown spends the Holidays....
Sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly kinky, I like to pretend I'm Elvis by pulling a hand gun from the end table and shooting the TV.
BJ, to bake a perfect turkey, make an incision just under breast, close to the wing, and stuff ice cubes under there. Normally, the tits cook first and then dry out. The ice slows the cooking and keeps the rack from drying too much.
I second the recommendation to deep fry. No need for ice then and always delicious.

beerjet
11-10-2006, 07:42 PM
I've heard about deep frying and it sounds good but.......

slowinhavasu
11-10-2006, 07:50 PM
I've heard about deep frying and it sounds good but.......
But what ???????????

GasGuzzler
11-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Deep fry...nothin else like it..I'm going to try something new this year, gonna shoot it up first...let you know how it turns out....
Only way to do it is shoot it up just before frying. Sears in the juices. Mix a can of chicken broth with the seasoning and shoot him up till he looks like he is going to explode, then cook' er up.

riverroyal
11-10-2006, 08:25 PM
We may have a better solution for you :) Just gotta get there with your drinking shoes on :cool:
already

beerjet
11-10-2006, 08:38 PM
But what ???????????
I'll save that for someone to show me first.

SHOTKALLIN
11-10-2006, 10:11 PM
I deep fry with Emeril's recipe

All-Star
11-10-2006, 11:02 PM
What about beer -butt Turkey.....??? :idea:
We do it to Chicken, so why not Turkey?
Maybe I will give it a test try this wek and let you know??? :)
Colt-45??? maybe it will be big enough. :rolleyes:

whiteworks
11-10-2006, 11:40 PM
the best way I have found to a turkey or a few hundred at a time is in a pit. I have been involved with a group that feeds homeless/transitional families on thanksgiving. last year we cooked 350 turkeys. first you dig a pit, then you start a fire, you have to get the coals really going. our pits were 3' x 3' x 8' you need to get the coals about a foot deep so just keep throwing wood on. as far as turkey prep you load up the inside of the turkey with seasoning and a cube of butter place in a cooking bag then wrap it in foil "the thick kind" twice then wrap the turkey in a wet gunny sack and wrap some wire around it and make some handles. when your fire is down and the coals are blazin you throw the turkey or turkeys in the pit and cover with a steel plate and quickly put dirt around the perimiter of the steel plate to smother out the flames. you then need to pile dirt over the whole thing so no air gets in and gets the flames going. we usally cook 15lbs birds for eight hours. be prepared its will not be the picture perfect turkey for the table display. instead you will have a turkey that is moist and falls off the bone. I really think that this is the best turkey I have ever had.

SmokinLowriderSS
11-11-2006, 01:06 AM
8 hours in my gas smoker, covered with a cloth (or several layers of cheesecloth) saturated with olive oil, the water pan filled with a mixture of water, Ezra Brooks Bourbon, and a touch of mustard, mixture of well-soaked Jack Danniels oak barrel chips and Mesquite wood chips and chunks in the bottom for smoke.

pm069
11-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Agree with you on deep frying. Best thing to happen to turkey. Haven't done a junkie turkey, just season well and fry. Trying to talk my sister on loading the bird with some whole and crushed garlic and cook. Made a chicken in the oven with 20 cloves of garlic and everyone loved it, just stuff the garlic under the skin and inside the bird (that part might be hard for frying). The best part about frying, is you tell everyone that you have to watch the bird while it cooks (saftey reasons,lol), so if people come out to see how its doing, have them bring a beer for you a you're set to kick back and enjoy. BTW where's A Catered Life for some input on this thread? His recipes are great! Happy Holidays to All. :cool: paul

beerjet
11-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Tons of great ideas . The deep fryed turkey is something I've been hearing about for a while and I hear it is spectacular . If there is a way to fock it up though , I will so I'll need a little training before I do one on my own .
Catered gave a real good recipe for ribs so I am curious to see what he's got.
Thanks a bunch veryone.

HCS
11-11-2006, 12:18 PM
I post these pics alot lately. :rolleyes:
But hey it's turkey time.
I love to BBQ my turkerys.
If you want a little extra flavor and juices drape bacon on top while cooking.
Notice how juicy!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/637IMG_0228.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/637IMG_0229.jpg

GHT
11-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Here it is:
Cure it for two days with curing salt in a Plastic bag. On the second day (the day before you cook it) Inject it with seasoning and let it absorb for a day. Make a rub and rub the turkey with olive oil and the rub. Then Smoke the turkey. By far the best...

pm069
11-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Tons of great ideas . The deep fryed turkey is something I've been hearing about for a while and I hear it is spectacular . If there is a way to fock it up though , I will so I'll need a little training before I do one on my own .
Catered gave a real good recipe for ribs so I am curious to see what he's got.
Thanks a bunch veryone.
Frying is really quite easy , if you're smart about it. Get a set-up that has all the stuff for cooking. big pot, burner, thermometer, hoses and regulator (if you go propane), and as I found out after the fact, a turkey lifter (basket style), that you can hang on the edge the pot, so the bird drains without you having to hold it. Score a couple jugs of peanut oil and make sure you have a full tank of propane, if needed. Get a bird that's not too big for the pot (about 10-15#, check instructions, if unsure), Unwrap the bird, thawed of course and take out all the gizzards, neck, heart, and whatever other stuff that came inside the bird (remove the little pop-up thing if so equipped) and clean well (no soap). Place the bird in the basket or on the hook and place it in tha pot. Fill pot with water to about 1 inch above the bird, check to make sure you have clearance around the bird in the pot (1 inch is good). Now take the bird out and make a mark inside the pot where the water level is. Dump the water, dry pot, dont wipe off your mark, and set-up the burner and pot. A large piece of cardboard under the burner, helps the clean-up of any oil that may splash out, while cooking. Add peanut oil to the mark you made in the pot and start heating the oil. Now dry off the bird and start seasoning it inside and out with whatever herb and spices you like, if your signifa**** other hasn't done so already. Maintain a steady 325 F on the oil and your about ready. Get a old long sleved flannel shirt (might be cold out) and the big BBQ mitts (the oil does bubble rather violently) Place the bird in the basket/on the hook, and take out to the pot and gently lower into the HOT OIL. BE CAREFUL! I hate hearing bout some ass, that thinks he knows everything on the news, cause his set-up, effed-up. A 15# bird only takes about one hour to cook, or 3 1/2 minutes per pound plus 5 minutes. When times up, shut off burner, and lift the turkey out of pot and allow to drain into back into pot. Have a roasting pan ready to set the bird into, bring it inside the house to rest a bit. When you carve the stately bird remember... the worst part to eat (skin), tastes the absolute best. Snag-it or lose it. It's spectacular. Sit down with your Family and Friends, thank God, and enjoy some of the best turkey you ever ate! IT'S NOT THAT HARD. :cool: Paul

beerjet
11-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Frying is really quite easy , if you're smart about it. Get a set-up that has all the stuff for cooking. big pot, burner, thermometer, hoses and regulator (if you go propane), and as I found out after the fact, a turkey lifter (basket style), that you can hang on the edge the pot, so the bird drains without you having to hold it. Score a couple jugs of peanut oil and make sure you have a full tank of propane, if needed. Get a bird that's not too big for the pot (about 10-15#, check instructions, if unsure), Unwrap the bird, thawed of course and take out all the gizzards, neck, heart, and whatever other stuff that came inside the bird (remove the little pop-up thing if so equipped) and clean well (no soap). Place the bird in the basket or on the hook and place it in tha pot. Fill pot with water to about 1 inch above the bird, check to make sure you have clearance around the bird in the pot (1 inch is good). Now take the bird out and make a mark inside the pot where the water level is. Dump the water, dry pot, dont wipe off your mark, and set-up the burner and pot. A large piece of cardboard under the burner, helps the clean-up of any oil that may splash out, while cooking. Add peanut oil to the mark you made in the pot and start heating the oil. Now dry off the bird and start seasoning it inside and out with whatever herb and spices you like, if your signifa**** other hasn't done so already. Maintain a steady 325 F on the oil and your about ready. Get a old long sleved flannel shirt (might be cold out) and the big BBQ mitts (the oil does bubble rather violently) Place the bird in the basket/on the hook, and take out to the pot and gently lower into the HOT OIL. BE CAREFUL! I hate hearing bout some ass, that thinks he knows everything on the news, cause his set-up, effed-up. A 15# bird only takes about one hour to cook, or 3 1/2 minutes per pound plus 5 minutes. When times up, shut off burner, and lift the turkey out of pot and allow to drain into back into pot. Have a roasting pan ready to set the bird into, bring it inside the house to rest a bit. When you carve the stately bird remember... the worst part to eat (skin), tastes the absolute best. Snag-it or lose it. It's spectacular. Sit down with your Family and Friends, thank God, and enjoy some of the best turkey you ever ate! IT'S NOT THAT HARD. :cool: Paul
I will be saving this for future references.

LUVNLIFE
11-12-2006, 08:45 AM
I reecieved a new Cabbella's catalog in the mail the other day and they are selling a Turduckin in there. Just like John Madden eats. Any takers? :)

lalhc
11-12-2006, 10:39 AM
I like to deep fry two birds about 10-12 pounds each. I inject one w/a spicy souce and the other w/something non-spicy. Three and a half minutes per pound and they're done!

Riomouse911
11-13-2006, 12:20 PM
My Mom always soaked the bird in a brine of broth and other stuff for a day before it was cooked. I'll see if I can pry the ingredients from her and get back to the thread...

a catered life
11-13-2006, 12:56 PM
its a adventure and they taste dam good..the only bad part i have found is they arent as juicy the next day..and everyone knows that thankgiving leftover are the best leftovers :p
ok here the secert to a great :p roasted turkey
cook it slow about 350, handle the turkey like a new born DON'T break the skin, try not to buy a frozen one if possible (if you do deforst in the frig) but if you have too check the wing tips and leg ends if their really red :crossx: thats a old turkey generally the natural juices are started to dry out.......buy your self something to take the temperture and use it between the thigh and breast (not touching the breast) and not touching the liquid on the bottom of the pan...dont use one of those fancy-pancy roasting racks your turkey need to re-asborb its natural juices...and the best advise i tell everyone..cause most people puck with the dam thing to much......keep it covered for the first hour DO NOT OPEN THE LID OR FOIL for one hour...do not open it at all...... baste throughly every 30 minutes after that and recover tightly....when its reaches about 150-155 remove the cover and let it start to brown....it doesn't matter the seasonings you put if you follow these simple rules every turkey will come out right
good luck two years ago i roasted over 25 turkeys for clients and friends and each and everyone was perfect :p

707dog
11-13-2006, 01:04 PM
well whet and visited some of my country azz family for thanksgiving along time ago and they turned me on to the deep fryer and have been hooked ever since...deep frying for me!... and damn that bbq bird looks good too..post the insides on the bbqin instructions...thanx

Nautitwins2
11-13-2006, 01:09 PM
its a adventure and they taste dam good..the only bad part i have found is they arent as juicy the next day..and everyone knows that thankgiving leftover are the best leftovers :p
cook it slow about 350, handle the turkey like a new born DON'T break the skin, try not to buy a frozen one if possible (if you do deforst in the frig) but if you have too check the wing tips and leg ends if their really red :crossx: thats a old turkey generally the natural juices are started to dry out.......buy your self something to take the temperture and use it between the thigh and breast (not touching the breast) and not touching the liquid on the bottom of the pan...dont use one of those fancy-pancy roasting racks your turkey need to re-asborb its natural juices...and the best advise i tell everyone..cause most people puck with the dam thing to much......keep it covered for the first hour DO NOT OPEN THE LID OR FOIL for one hour...do not open it at all...... baste throughly every 30 minutes after that and recover tightly....when its reaches about 150-155 remove the cover and let it start to brown....it doesn't matter the seasonings you put if you follow these simple rules every turkey will come out right
good luck two years ago i roasted over 25 turkeys for clients and friends and each and everyone was perfect :p
Thanks for that. So red bones are not good? If you do find a fresh turkey how long can she be kept in the fridge prior to cooking?

One Particular Harbor
11-13-2006, 03:06 PM
...try not to buy a frozen one if possible...
We have found over the years that starting with a good quality, farm fresh turkey really improves the quality of the meat and the flavor of the bird when you are done roasting it. We have a great meat market for steaks and asada and they also bring in farm fresh birds for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Good cooking starts with good ingredients. :)

Debbolas
11-13-2006, 03:30 PM
A fresh Turkey is a MUST!!
:D
try..............Sheltons (http://www.sheltons.com/)

pm069
11-13-2006, 05:58 PM
I can't say that about the fried birds that I've done, but it does make some sense, not too many leftovers around our place.

a catered life
11-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for that. So red bones are not good? If you do find a fresh turkey how long can she be kept in the fridge prior to cooking?
not necessary really red bones arent good check out the wing tips...a older bird will be really red and kinda dryer looking on the ends....
defrost as long as it takes but keep it cold...you want to put your hand inside to make sure there no ice inside...and dont forget to take the guts out
OPH is right if you look around you can find a good meat market who will carry fresh turkeys this time of the year.....if you are forced to but a frozen one wait until the last minute and get one... their generally fresher than the one's available for sale now and early next week...........a frozen bird is ok and will do just fine but like OPH and debbolas said start with quality products and end with a quality products

C-2
11-13-2006, 07:17 PM
BRINE BRINE BRINE
Brine it then cook it anyway which pleezes you. Traditional, fry or smoke, it's hard to mess up any bird (or pork) after a good brine.
I think fresh is way overated, just another way to jack up the price. I stopped using fresh and went back to a good quality frozen - much more predictable and easier to work with.

Chromegorilla
11-13-2006, 07:22 PM
I use to like oven roasted until I moved to the south.... all I can say is fry that somebitch!

beerjet
11-13-2006, 07:28 PM
this year is lookin like a bird in the oven . I'm still gonna go buy a fryer though .

67weimann
11-13-2006, 07:30 PM
If you want to try something new and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but, try cooking one in a garbage can. I saw it done at the Dunes (St. Anthonys) up in Idaho a few years ago and tried it for myself last year...Works great and taste wonderfull
Turkey in the garbage (http://camping.about.com/od/recipes/r/ucrec109.htm)

pm069
11-14-2006, 09:35 PM
If you want to try something new and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but, try cooking one in a garbage can. I saw it done at the Dunes (St. Anthonys) up in Idaho a few years ago and tried it for myself last year...Works great and taste wonderfull
Yeah. I hear they do a lot of weird stuff like that in Idaho. LMAO! :cool:

beerjet
11-14-2006, 09:39 PM
I've had corn out of the garbage . Turkey :idea: I'm gonna look into it.