PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on Sabre jet V drive

V tach
11-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Please help. Im looking into buying a 1980 Sabre Jet V drive 19' with a 460, velvet drive, known as a 'circle runner'. Its a nice looking boat but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these hulls. Is it a solid boat, how is the ride, any info would be greatly appreciated.

DUCKY
11-12-2006, 08:28 PM
I have never heard of it, but some pics would help. There are lots of people that will try to pass off any small v-drive as a circle boat, but I think you can be sure that having a Ford and a velvet drive in it, it's no race boat...

V tach
11-13-2006, 03:38 PM
The owner called it a circle runner bottom. Its not flat however, it has a pretty deep V hull for a V drive. I will try to attach a photo. Not the most computer savy individual here.

gn7
11-13-2006, 03:57 PM
between the name and the design of the boat (delta pad) I would say it was originally designed as a jet, that they also rigged as a v-drive. could make a nice ski boat, but don't recommend a lot of (race) power.

Marty Gras
11-13-2006, 08:16 PM
It looks like a 19' Hornet hull with a "pad" bottom. What does the VIN # say?

GofastRacer
11-13-2006, 08:47 PM
It looks like a 19' Hornet hull with a "pad" bottom. What does the VIN # say?
Hey George, check your PM's!..

DUCKY
11-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Here is a link to the Coast Guards MIC database. Enter the first 3 letters of the ID number from the transom (or registration) in the box labeled "MIC", and it will give you some info.
That boat was definitely a ski boat with the motor that far back..... Nice ride though!
USCG MIC Database (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_database.htm)

lilrick
11-14-2006, 08:17 AM
it's definitely unique. It's cool.

InKahntrol
11-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Nice looking hull...

V tach
11-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the info, don't know what the VIN is but I will try to get it from the owner and look it up. He is also going to send some pic's of the rigging so that should help out a little as well. Does anyone know how this hull would handle at say...70 mph? Or what its hull speed limit might be. I imagine it might be a little squirly at higher speeds. OK... 70 is not really a higher speed but still fun.

V tach
11-17-2006, 06:26 PM
I would like to test drive it but it is out of state and and a bit of a commitment to travel that distance. Just trying to get as much inside info prior to taking the plunge. Sounds like it might not handle well with that delta pad at upper speeds, and no its not dirt cheap. Thanks again to all replyed I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
Tom

Marty Gras
11-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Why would the pad make it "ride or run badly?" The pad (if done correctly) is just a nice flat "false rocker" that would stabilize the boat on glass and small (12" or less) chop. Long ago a friend of mine purchased the "Hornet 19" molds from Len Metz the original owner. We built a few of them with V- drives. I did a 13" wide x 1 degree insert in the jet boat bottom mold. One I rigged with 7 degree shaft angle and the Casale was 8' 6" from the transom. With a 461", 10 to 1 BB, tunnel ram motor, it ran low 80's. 22 gear, T400, and a 11" X 15 three blade. If the pad is wide enough the carry the entire boat, and the shaft angle is less than 9 degrees, the boat can be made to run very well.