PDA

View Full Version : enderle on start up?

flattie
05-28-2003, 07:16 PM
How much gas should I prime this enderle set up with? also will this monster rev real high on start up. This is all new to me. I had carbs on it last year and was thinking about putting them back on to set the timing then put the enderle set up back on. What do you think?
Flattie

ACCEPTENCE
05-28-2003, 09:13 PM
Give it a good shot of fuel, just as though you did when you mashed the gas before making the squirters prime the motor, course you'll be giving it a bigger shot, maybe two seconds squirt from a shampoo bottle or whatever your using.
It shouldn't rev real high. If you had enderle flow it and set it up, you should be pretty close when you fire it.
You may need to fine adjust the barrel valve and butterflies, we're talkin fine adjustment.
I would think you might put the carbs back on just to make it easier to set the timing, or set it about where it will be at then set the idle speed and then time it as usual. Either way should work out.
You should be all set, hope it helps at least a little.

flattie
05-29-2003, 06:43 AM
I will put the carbs back on tonight and set the timing them try the enderle again. seems like alot of work just to set timing hope this fuel injection is worth it. Yes I did have it flowed so it should be close.

GofastRacer
05-29-2003, 08:41 AM
If you had it all flowed it should be ready to go except maybe a little slight adjustment on the barrel valve, just start it up and set the timing, no need to put the carbs on. If you're worried about it revving to the moon, check the throttle plates with a feeler guage, shouldn't be more than .002 clearance!.. :cool:

superdave013
05-29-2003, 08:56 AM
Don't give up on it just yet. Just give it a big shot of fuel, start it up and bottle feed it until the fuel pump picks up. It takes some getting used to but it's not to bad.
Gofast, I ran more clearance then that on my bird.

T-Bag
05-29-2003, 09:10 AM
If enderle set it up start it up and set the timing it will be close don't go adjusting butterflies of barrel until you get it started. the clearence on the butterflies will depend if it is gas or alky.

flattie
05-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Its gas. Last night I fired it up with enderle on it and it reved about 3500 rpm and scared the shit out of me I had the zoomies on it this thing was fricken loud my ears are still ringing so I just shut it off I didn't know if the where the timing was. because when I retarded the timing it shut off. When you say feed it with the bottle you mean just keep spraying it at the hat with the butterflies closed?

burbanite
05-29-2003, 11:08 AM
I have a question, do these systems have a non return valve either in the pump or after it? We have used them in the past to keep fuel up to the rails.

GofastRacer
05-29-2003, 11:38 AM
superdave013:
Gofast, I ran more clearance then that on my bird. I'm sure it's not enough but this way it was sure not to rev up to the moon and scare the shit out of him!. I'd sure hate to see him put the carbs back on because of that!.. :)

T-Bag
05-29-2003, 11:39 AM
flattie:
Its gas. Last night I fired it up with enderle on it and it reved about 3500 rpm and scared the shit out of me I had the zoomies on it this thing was fricken loud my ears are still ringing so I just shut it off I didn't know if the where the timing was. because when I retarded the timing it shut off. When you say feed it with the bottle you mean just keep spraying it at the hat with the butterflies closed? The high idle is one of two things either the pump hasn't picked up yet or the butterflies or idle speed is set too high to adjust idle speed. with the engine off use the Idle set screw on the side of the hat should be on either side and close the butterflies just remember a little is a lot with injection I think my butterflies are .012-.015 open with a gas deal hope it helps. when the pump picks up the engine should surge and you should a slight amount of black smoke on idle if not the barrel needs to fattened a little.
[ May 29, 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: T-Bag ]

flattie
05-29-2003, 12:58 PM
When set up properly will the drivabiltiy of this be ok or suck? I have to idle out of a channel about 1/4 mile & sometimes have to shut the boat off to wait for other boats in my way because mine idles alot faster than other boats will I have to use the squirt bottle to start it again?
Flattie

T-Bag
05-29-2003, 01:53 PM
On a blown applicaion I think there is a night and day difference between inj. and carbs. It is more of a "race" deal but since you have it already. Might as well try it. Some people say it is like a light switch either on or off. I sent you a P/M call me if you want and we'll go in to detail.

CircleJerk
05-29-2003, 11:56 PM
Hasnt anyone ever banged a blower using this method? Here's my .02. Crank the motor with ignition off until oil pressure starts to move with butterflies all the way open! If your pump is fresh you should see fuel at the nozzels through the open doors. We always had a crew member with flash light watching for fuel. Every pump is different so it takes some experimenting. Soon as you see fuel, gas or alcohol, give it a squirt. Then ClOSE the throttle and crank for a few seconds and hit the mag. You may starve it the other way with the squirt bottle while the pump hasnt picked up the prime, especially on the first start thats when you need LOTS of prime. There is a possibility , you can bang the blower with too lean a mixture and that can send your expensive injector into the air or scare the ____ out of ya when it singes your eyebrows! We lost a polished magnesium bird square door enderle using the other method! Ever start a car on a cold morning without a choke and it pops or bangs? This is much more serious with a puffer.... smile_sp PS: A high idle can also be caused by a vac leak at the injector or intake gasket and can add to probable explosions. Good luck,, and its WORTH it! smile_sp
[ May 30, 2003, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]

scottys
05-31-2003, 05:17 AM
I pull plugs and wires.crank over with starter to set initial timeing

flattie
05-31-2003, 08:44 AM
Ok I figured out how to get it to start up on the first try now. I just needed a better squirt bottle and needed to keep feeding it gas. Now the next question is how much black smoke should I have at idle? It sounds like its ready to fowl the plugs I have the plates set at .009 to get it to idle down & I have adjusted the barrle valve 2 flats on the turnbuckle leaner and it still looks rich to me.