PDA

View Full Version : Intalling gas tank brackets

78Southwind
01-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Well I got the tanks out and I am now ready to install the new brackets. I am thinking there might be a better way to install these brackets any ideas? I have seen others use stringer washers under the hull but I thought that might be a bit over kill.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1676Through_Bolt.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1676Bracket.jpg

Greaser
01-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Something about drilling holes in the bottom of my Southwind is a lil unnerving.

sleekcrafter
01-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Something about drilling holes in the bottom of my Southwind is a lil unnerving.
Dang! shave those screw heads down a little :D Then Brooski will never catch you :rolleyes:
Sleek

78Southwind
01-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Dang! shave those screw heads down a little :D Then Brooski will never catch you :rolleyes:
Sleek
Brooski has to catch Dan first. :argue: :)

Brooski
01-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Brooski has to catch Dan first. :argue: :)
You suck! lol
I was never behind Dan, so I dont need to catch up. Plus I always have Coors Light in my boat, so Dan will NEVER pass me...... :p

78Southwind
01-21-2006, 10:52 PM
BTW BAR SUX :D

shaun
01-22-2006, 12:16 AM
78Southwind, in my boat their was a peice of plywood that was glassed to the sides that the tanks mounted to. This way they didnt have to drill through the bottom. It worked great for 15+ years while my parents owned and used the boat (probably longer since somebody used it like that before). I ripped out the old wood and plan on reglassing new wood in. Here's a old pic of the old wood that was glassed in, dont be tricked by glass that looks to be comming off, those ****ers were hell to get out, no way the tanks where going to pull that off... I had a post about this same thing on here a while back, a lot of mixed emotions on this board about it, guess it comes down to doing what you feel works best.
http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/6737-2/IM001248.jpg

78Southwind
01-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Shaun
That looks like a good idea however, the holes were already drilled through the hull from Southwind. I just wanted ideas about the bolts and washers. I have seen some that have used stringer washers but I thought that might be a little over kill. I will probably just use what I have because it worked for the last 27 years. :)

Brooski
01-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Shaun
That looks like a good idea however, the holes were already drilled through the hull from Southwind. I just wanted ideas about the bolts and washers. I have seen some that have used stringer washers but I thought that might be a little over kill. I will probably just use what I have because it worked for the last 27 years. :)
What are you, the Jerry Brown of boating? Can you imagine where we would be today if everyone had that attitude. It has worked good for 27 years, so why change it. Think NEW AND IMPROVED.
Just messing with ya, Jer. Even though you still look good in your leisure suit.

78Southwind
01-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Roger
Since you have your engine out you might want to check your bolts too. Most of the silicone was disolved on mine causing the brackets to rust pretty bad. You also might want to check the lifting strakes that are about 10" just outside of your stringers.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/167678Southwind_AfterGrinding.JPG

Brooski
01-22-2006, 10:20 PM
I will check it out. The last time I was under the boat, I believe they were still sealed well. Everything looked good. I am changing out the carpet, so everything will be inspected.

Nucking futs
01-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Jerry, your glass guy sucks !!! If you would of said something earlier maybe you could of had wood glassed to the floor with studs to mount them too.
:yuk:

78Southwind
01-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Jerry, your glass guy rocks !!! If you would of said something earlier maybe you could of had wood glassed to the floor with studs to mount them too.
:yuk:
What cha talking about Willis. That would have been nice but then I would have had to worry about eight leaky holes. :mad: :D
Tim
I don't know how most of the Southwind's gas tanks were mounted but mine were bolted to the bottom of the hull. However, they used flat bottom brackets not the V bottom brackets which has made it a little more difficult installing them.

Nucking futs
01-25-2006, 07:55 PM
then I would have had to worry about eight leaky holes. :mad: :D
Could of fixed those too. Just seal them up real good, you will be ok. Get new SS bolts.
The rust you were seeing could also be water that was splashed in and settled where the brakets bolted and rusted the bracket from the inside of the boat, Just a thought. When you gonna do some burn out in the boat? Get that thing done.

Nucking futs
01-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Nice quote by the way, way to put words in my mouth. :)

Brooski
01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Nice quote by the way, way to put words in my mouth. :)
Maybe he is just trying to balance things out, since words never stop coming OUT of your mouth. lmao.
j/k with ya Tim. Couldnt resist that one.......lol

Nucking futs
01-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I got a couple of words for ya ............. :argue:
Boat show beer fest this year? let me know.......
Oh, your going to need every inch of that 540 too !!!!

78Southwind
01-25-2006, 08:12 PM
BTW BAR SUX
I got first round if you two are going to be at the Boat show on the Saturday the 4th.

Nucking futs
01-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Going to Irvine on the 4th to watch the k boats run and Hurcs on the 5th for the big SB party.

Brooski
01-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Dont know if I am gonna make it this year. Cant go Saturday, Sunday may be a possibility. Following weekend is pretty much free cept for Kim cant go. Can you imagine how dead it will be there during the Super Bowl? No crowds!!

78Southwind
01-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Sunday is a no go for me. I will be a Lisa's parents celebrating her b-day and watching the Superbowl with her pops. :)

Brooski
01-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Well, I am glad to see she will finally be 18. I have been worried about you getting popped for being a child molester. :skull:
I hope buying the new engine and a fresh pump for the boat was her present. lol

rich
01-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Well I got the tanks out and I am now ready to install the new brackets. I am thinking there might be a better way to install these brackets any ideas? I have seen others use stringer washers under the hull but I thought that might be a bit over kill.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1676Through_Bolt.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1676Bracket.jpg
i used a 3"x8" x1/4" alum plate drill tapped and threaded 2- 5/16 studs in ea. plate then fiberglass them in the floor of my boat been there for three yrs no problems works and looks good if you need a picture i'll try to get one for you hope this helps.i have a v-drive dragoncraft tanks are 8"x50"