PDA

View Full Version : 460 oil capacity

460Dave
12-10-2002, 04:36 AM
My 1975 Southwind jet, 460, with stock oil pan, filter and no oil cooler, has the oil level marked on the dip stick by a single hand made mark.
How many quarts should the 460 require so I can verify the mark on the dip stick?

Brendella
12-10-2002, 05:24 AM
If it a stock pan factory spects should apply,
If it is a square or after market then the usually start at ten for marine.
try adding one at a time to and let it settle to the bottum and keep measuring till it hits your mark.
but to be safe figure out the pans make or shape and give a description and then someone could help you more. :rolleyes:

12-10-2002, 09:36 AM
If you are running a stock car pan on a jetboat you are asking for trouble. Not only a car pan is 5 qts. its in the front of the engine. When you accelerate where does that 5 [or less] qts. of oil go? To the rear of the pan of course and away from the pick up, engine sucks air and soon enough you are pricing a new crank and bearings. So before you need to buy the crank spend the money now for a good 10qt [or more] jetboat pan and rear pick up. Make sure you get a pan for jetboat use as the doors in a v-drive pan open the other way. Pay a little now or alot later.

460Dave
12-10-2002, 02:24 PM
The oil pan on the 75 Southwind is a stock jet boat pan with the deep end at the rear.
I do not have specs for oil capacity, that is why I am asking.
My dip stick has a hand scratched level mark (looks like it was scratched on by a nail or sharp object). The dip stick has also been shortened. My thinking is that is was a chrome aftermarket car dip stick and had to be shortened to fit the factory jet boat 460.
I am trying to verify if the previous owners calibriated the dip stick correctly when they scratched in the full level mark.

bmff
12-10-2002, 04:23 PM
Stock oil pan bbf is 5 qts., front or rear. CJ's and a few others used 6 qts. in the same pan.

Berryessa Billy-Bob
12-10-2002, 04:49 PM
Ya'll ain't got this fingered out yet. :confused: It's jest a Ford. 5 qts + 1 for the filter....+/- 2 qts..Jest in case..

Kindsvater Flat
12-10-2002, 04:51 PM
Well not to be a smart ass but a kid at worked changed the oil in a dumptruck with a 460 and he was able to get 8 gallons in before it ran out of the valve cover......
Note: He no longer changes oil in vehicles.

12-10-2002, 05:26 PM
460Dave:
The oil pan on the 75 Southwind is a stock jet boat pan with the deep end at the rear.
I do not have specs for oil capacity, that is why I am asking.
.As far as I know Ford never made a stock jetboat pan. If you have a rear sump & p/u it could be from a Bronco, Econoline or truck and be 5 to 8 qts. If it is an origonal FoMoCo rear sump pan the dipstick should be in the pan and not the front cover.