PDA

View Full Version : Bottom of Boat Polished??????

Budman13
11-13-2006, 04:55 PM
I was wondering if it was standard practice by boat builders to not fully polish the bottom of the boat like the sides and deck. My new boat has a brilliant shine on the top but the bottom is dull. Anyone have an answer?

Riverat84
11-13-2006, 05:52 PM
i did it once by crawling under the trailer and doing everything except for the bunks(of course) ill never do it again, not worth the time 4 me hehe....ill wait till i pull the engine someday then ill just flip it w/ some engine hoists i guess
Reid

BrendellaJet
11-13-2006, 09:14 PM
speed coat it.

Nucking futs
11-13-2006, 09:23 PM
The Ideal bottom would have dimples in it. :D
It almost set the tunnel boat jump record.
tunnel boat jump record........ (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66146&highlight=dimples)
Its winter time again...

DUCKY
11-13-2006, 09:44 PM
I think it's fairly common practice to make the bottom of the hull mold just smooth enough to pop out hulls, as shiny bottom = slow and no one ever looks down there anyways.

Ken F
11-14-2006, 02:07 AM
Budman, that would be a no-no.
If anything, get under there with some sandpaper. It'll run faster.
The little "scratches" hold or trap little air bubbles, almost like running on little ball bearings.
I used to race Hobicat sailboats which is very competative. Each boat is exactly the same, no mods allowed. I went over the hulls on ours with some 400 wet/dry sandpaper. Next weekend we were way faster than everyone else.
Oftentimes the running surface on jetboats are "roughed up" with 80 grit on a grinder, then speedcoated.
Ken F