PDA

View Full Version : Rhino or sandrail

marty722
11-13-2006, 05:15 PM
I've been saving up for a Rhino but have ran across some pretty good deals on sandrails at about half the price of a rhino...... How about the pros and cons of each.The wife hates to drive so she just wants to ride so I'm thinking maybe a sandrail would do the job and I would be able to save some money in the mean time..... I have found a couple or prowlers that are in very good shape with lots of add-ons for about 7grand......So give me your input. I just thing the rhino craze will be going away soon.... Lets hear it!!!! Thanks
PS we are still keeping the quads just in case....

Havasu1986
11-13-2006, 05:18 PM
I seen a commercial that said the 07 Rhinos will be available in automatic. Is this a big deal.

Phat Matt
11-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I seen a commercial that said the 07 Rhinos will be available in automatic. Is this a big deal.
They are only forward and reverse now. :confused:

RiverRatMike
haha all rhinos are automatic :idea:

EmpirE231
most rails that are cheaper than rhinos.... have crappy suspension compared to a rhino! would be a super rough ride compared to how some rhinos ride... but if you use it just for duning or fire roads... you'll be OK with the rail... I personally wouldn't buy anything less than a mid-travel rail!
the + side to rhinos is that they're convienient!! they can usually fit in the bed of most full sized trucks.... dont use much gas... will fit in the garage.. and go through tighter trails!
if non of that appeals to you... I'd say look into a baja bug! you can get one with some decent setup suspension for around that 7k mark.... it'll do what most rails in that price range will do... but ya got windows!! deff a big + when it comes to the wind and dust :)

Havasu Carrera
11-13-2006, 05:22 PM
NOT RHINO"S WITH STD"S lol
Rhino's are all automatics are they not??

marty722
11-13-2006, 05:24 PM
most rails that are cheaper than rhinos.... have crappy suspension compared to a rhino! would be a super rough ride compared to how some rhinos ride... but if you use it just for duning or fire roads... you'll be OK with the rail... I personally wouldn't buy anything less than a mid-travel rail!
the + side to rhinos is that they're convienient!! they can usually fit in the bed of most full sized trucks.... dont use much gas... will fit in the garage.. and go through tighter trails!
if non of that appeals to you... I'd say look into a baja bug! you can get one with some decent setup suspension for around that 7k mark.... it'll do what most rails in that price range will do... but ya got windows!! deff a big + when it comes to the wind and dust :)
Thanks for the info. I think the others got alittle off topic :cry: :cry:

riverroyal
11-13-2006, 05:30 PM
NOT RHINO"S WITH STD"S lol
Rhino's are all automatics are they not??
the have a low,high,reverse,then they have 2wd,4wd and 4wd diff lock all on one button :rollside:

Ziggy
11-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Buggies have been around for 50+ years.
Rhippo craze is a few years old. I'm betting that regulations will bring them down to earth.
Ask any woman if staying power is good or bad ;) :D
Buy two buggies instead.

2Driver
11-13-2006, 05:43 PM
If you have quads already and plan to use the Rhino or Rail mainly at the Dunes then I would definitely get the rail. You can have more fun and go a lot more places. As far as a fad, I see them becoming the land PWC.
I just got my Rhino and so far it's just ok. But I haven't gotten any wood from it. If it werent for the Mrs and 5 year old it might be in the trader already. I should hold judgement until I get it out in the desert some.

Garrddogg
11-13-2006, 05:48 PM
I was saving for a buggie and then opted to get a Rhino,and I have to say they are SO FOWKING MUCH FUN!! Im so glad I got the Rhino..

H20 Toie
11-13-2006, 05:57 PM
rails are cheaper and have better suspensions than a rail? what kind of rail are you looking at.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2573Buggy_1.JPG

BigDoug
11-13-2006, 06:01 PM
We take our Arctic Cat out everywhere, store, gas station, wal-mart etc. We just came off that rhino ride this past weekend and let me tell ya it was a blast hangin with everyone. :)
We had a Manx - Meyers and loved it but we got stuck alot in the sand dunes and we would have to lift it out (muscle) we got tired of that so we baught the Cat with 4whl drive and don't get stuck anymore..........whewww !! we drive this thing everywhere, we love it !!
I don't think this will be a fad but instead a form of transportation out here in Havasu, as a matter of fact i see alot of the elderly now giving up their golf carts and jumping into one these rhinos, cats, rangers, mules etc.
Some of my customers have them in the garage and love them, it all depends on your needs and what you want to do or where you want to go with them. :)

marty722
11-13-2006, 06:20 PM
rails are cheaper and have better suspensions than a rail? what kind of rail are you looking at.
Can't afford one like that. I'm looking at a couple of prowlers.....

Cole Trickle
11-13-2006, 07:20 PM
He is looking for a rail cheaper than 10K (He said half)
I would much rather have a rhino than a 5K no travel 1600cc rail.
If your willing to let the one posted above for 7-10K let me know:D :crossx:

Danhercules
11-13-2006, 09:07 PM
I have a rail thats standard travel. It is an IRS trans not a swing axel. My buddy had his rino, he could not even come close to keeping up. I was a bit impressed how fast he was going, but than again, not even close to the rail. This is on the flat stuff. Duning, there is no way a 10k Rino and keep up with a 5k rail.
I say, get the rail. The rino is fun around camp!!!!

djunkie
11-13-2006, 09:13 PM
I was saving for a buggie and then opted to get a Rhino,and I have to say they are SO FOWKING MUCH FUN!! Im so glad I got the Rhino..
I agree!!!! :crossx: :crossx:

Goodtime$
11-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Find a nice VW powered buggy with a Beam front end. Down the road, buy a bigger beam front arms, steering and some nice 10" coilovers. Rear will need more love, but can all be done for under $5k.

hallettman
11-13-2006, 09:51 PM
thats not totaly true i bought a sandrail a few years ago for cheaper than you would pay for a rhino ($4700) and i can pound through the woops and jump with the best of them you just gotta pay attention and know what your buying

hallettman
11-13-2006, 09:53 PM
and mid travel IS the way to go and its cheape to convert to mid from standard

lil man wayne
11-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Go for a rail.
The rhinos are nice and i have seen them in the dunes going pretty good but they take more driver skill to go on the bigger steeper dunes.Plus they are pretty much turn key.
A rail will cost less and go farther and easier in the dunes plus they are faster.Can also get a decent 4 seater standard travel maybe a mid travel for same price as a rhino.(yes rhinos can have 4 seats too but riding 4 adults aint as safe vs a buggy)will require more maintainance but its not hard to do keep it simple and it will last longer more power more trannies to buy$$$$$.

EmpirE231
11-14-2006, 09:42 AM
I was saying most rails for around that price range (5k) have some pretty crappy suspension, compared to a stock rhino! now maybe take 5k x 15 = 75k and you are close to the one you pictured! I'm talking about the 1600cc mini sand arm or beam cars!! and even to that.. there are some exceptions out there.
on the other hand... my buddy had a 8-9k rail (small travel, little car with a crazy olds V8 screaming monster in it!!) and he recently spent the weekend in glamis with his buddies rhino.... and claims there's not much fun in them... they dont have that punch that gets the adrenaline going.... but they will put through the dunes and maybe hit mid 30's on sand highway with a cooler and 2 people. he said the rail (which was even cheaper than a new rhino) was wayyy more fun!! you might have a lil headache by the end of the day!! but you had a F'n blast!

sigepmock
11-14-2006, 09:56 AM
I've had the VW powered beam car and it was fun. It got around great in the dunes, went much faster through the dunes than my Rhino but I couldn't use it many other places than the dunes.
The big downfall was the upkeep. Even with realatively new parts in/on the buggy it was a lot of work to upkeep and it broke alot. So far the Rhino has been turn key. I ended up with the long travel suspension on the Rhino and it's a ton more fun but a stock set-up with some aftermarket shocks does pretty well.
I think it comes down to what you want to use it for. If it's just for cruising around the dunes...the buggy will be better suited as long as you are preparred for the up keep that goes along with it. If you want a go anywhere, starts everytime, put it away and forget about it till next trip....then the Rhino is the way to go. They really are a lot of fun and with the 4x4 they do it all well.
Good luck,
Chris