PDA

View Full Version : power lineman

creepingcharlie
11-13-2006, 08:03 PM
I looking to get in this field of work. Just woundering if theres any that vist these forums.

diggler
11-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Where are you located?
(Specifically city and state)

creepingcharlie
11-14-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm located in Fresno, CA. I have looked for some kind of apprenticeship program here but didn't find any.

full throttle
11-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Me Lineman..... Actually a Supervisor now. Doing it for near 20 yrs now. What do you want to know, other than chicks dig lineman!

creepingcharlie
11-14-2006, 06:50 PM
What it takes to get to be come one.

bordsmnj
11-14-2006, 10:09 PM
http://www.fresnojatc.org/
go here and then click "career paths" then "outside lineman". site also has all the contact info. if your serious,good luck! :cool:

full throttle
11-15-2006, 04:37 AM
Thats a start. Our Lineman Apprenticeship is done in-house 3.5 to 4 yrs. Newbies spend a year minimum as a groundman/grunt prior to school start. We will be hiring 8 more soon. Excellent line of work, but not for everyone! If you want more info, email me @ azlineman52@msn.com

creepingcharlie
11-15-2006, 08:07 AM
E-mail sent.
bordsmnj, I have tryed CNJATC but out of all the applicant i was one not chosen.

diggler
11-15-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm an engineer for PG&E and I know they are hiring linemen. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll give you the "insider" info you need.

Sleek-Jet
11-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Thats a start. Our Lineman Apprenticeship is done in-house 3.5 to 4 yrs. Newbies spend a year minimum as a groundman/grunt prior to school start. We will be hiring 8 more soon. Excellent line of work, but not for everyone! If you want more info, email me @ azlineman52@msn.com
You either have to be nutts or have nutts... :D
This would be my suggestion.... Good to see you guys make the grunt for a year or so, I've seen to many wash out of the first year because they have no idea what is in store for them. Especially when they come right off the street.
Check with the bigger contractors... Sturgeon Electric is one.. there's a few others, the union hall will usually have a list of who is looking for grunts. Check with the local utility and see what job openings they've got. Most likely you aren't going to get an apprenticeship right off the street, but get on as a meter reader, wharehousemen, groundmen or what have you and bid into an apprenticeship from in house.
I always wanted to be a lineman... but didn't want to get the labotomy... :eek: :eek: :D

DAVEO
11-15-2006, 09:23 AM
I was a construction electrition in the CB,s. went through the schooling and training then was kicked out for being a young idiot. Now Im an old idiot and am kicking my self in the azz for not going into that feild. Training was not fun but the work is. Good luck with this and get a hold of diggler.

deltarat
11-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the siggy DaveO

DAVEO
11-15-2006, 10:33 AM
well your welcome

creepingcharlie
11-15-2006, 07:12 PM
diggler, pm sent

kanedog
11-19-2006, 11:20 AM
I am a lineman for 15 years now. The pay is great and the retirement packages kick ass. Usually the company matches u dollar for dollar or far better.
If you want you can work almost anywhere in the world. There is a shortage of lineman everywhere in North America right now.
Pay can easily be 10k/month if you have the ambition and want to work.
Those are the upsides.
Now for the downsides:
1. Working with grumpy old guys who talk sentences that include arr, arr,growl
2. Working with drug addicted or drunk guys(some, not all) in very close proximity to 25,000 volts.
3. Divorce rate is second only to cops.
4. You can die easily if you are not careful.
5.Sore knees if you climb a lot.
6.Screamers and guys in general who may have little or no social skills. This is prolly like a lot of other trades anyway.
7. After 10 years of working outside your skin will resemble a leather like surface.
8. you will develop a high tolerance for alcohol.
9. Your 10k a month paycheque(lots of overtime of course)will cause you to get accustommed to a lifestyle that then causes you to keep working to pay off all your cool new stuff.
10. 8 out 10 lineman have rather large alimony payments.
good luck grasshopper.

shaffewm
11-20-2006, 07:59 AM
If you have a commercial drivers licence, you can go to our hall...local 47...and get hired as a groundman with the contractors...I would imagine its the same up there with whoever p.g.e. uses for contractors...I think the local up there is 1245...

Trailer Park Casanova
11-20-2006, 09:51 AM
This is the best place to start:
http://personline.lacity.org/job_list/index.cfm?FuseAction=Showspec&CC=3870
Most appren. earn over $106K the first year out of the basic training with OT, meals and zone pay.
When you promote to line mechanic, your pay will average about $170.000 + OT and meals and zone pay and annual bonus and longitivity pay at 5 years and 10 years,, easily make considerably more $$.
Pay raises are about 4% per year, and it's cash on the barrelhead.
You see the whole raise on your paycheck.
Bennies are negotiated seperately.
Ya have to be willing to take a basic electricity course before they will consider you for employment.
Anyone not willing to at least do that first isn't worth hiring in their opinion,, and it's a good opinion.
The whole third world and every flake out there was applying for the job until they started this good policy.
The work is very hard, very regimented, usually is dangerous.
If you don't have a head for heights and a thick skin,, this isn't for you.
Not telephone pole heights, but 90 feet and above, and sometimes swinging from a helicoptor, or on lines over canyons/valleys that are super high from the canyon floor.
I just retired young from LADWP with a pension in the six figures, full bennys, and my wife will get a 100% continuance on these bennies & pension with 3 % raises annually.
My retirement is 87% of my gross pay. If I worked 5 more years it would be 100%.

diggler
11-20-2006, 12:56 PM
If I have the figures right, PG&E loses 9 out of every 10 apprentices. They tend to either flunk themselves out of the tests, or they take themselves out of the program due to the "riskiness" of the work (such as pole climbing, manhole entering, etc...) :D
Seriously though, only 10% or less make it.

DAVEO
11-20-2006, 01:02 PM
as diggler put it if you are not into pole climbing and manhole entering this is not the job for you. As you see he has been with pg&e a long time. WTF Dirk Does your wife know you are a pole climbing manhole entering freak?

diggler
11-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Sheee-ot! I'm not a lineman! I'm in the office all day! I get to tell the lineman to go pole climbing and manhole entering anywhere else but myself!
Wasn't it Terry that said his shit was packed and he was pulling out?

DAVEO
11-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Sheee-ot! I'm not a lineman! I'm in the office all day! I get to tell the lineman to go pole climbing and manhole entering anywhere else but myself!
Oh damn I forgot about that. LOL

creepingcharlie
11-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Casanova, that would be a great start but I have no schooling, training. If I can't get in as a groundsman some where I am looking to enroll in Northwest Lineman College in Oroville, CA. Its about 10 grand to attend. Dose any one know how recognize they are.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Casanova, that would be a great start but I have no schooling, training. If I can't get in as a groundsman some where I am looking to enroll in Northwest Lineman College in Oroville, CA. Its about 10 grand to attend. Dose any one know how recognize they are.
It's an apprentice program.
You take a basic elect class at a local JC and you can start the program at full pay.
You don't need any formal schooling.
The apprentice program IS the formal schooling.
You work as an apprentice,, then you promote to full lineman, then foreman.

brianwhiteboy
11-20-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm going into my fourth year as a Inside wireman apprentice with Local 11 here in SoCal. It's alright work, but I heard that Lineman make a lot more $$. For all you lineman out there, will my training as an inside wireman be of any benefit to me if I try to pursue a lineman career? . :220v:

mexrunner
11-20-2006, 06:49 PM
northwest linemans college isnt all it cracked up to be. know a few that whent to northwest and the la trade school and it may have helped them. however we dont see that many at edison and they didnt get any better of a job hiring on. i would try to enter as groundman or meter reader in the utilities. i know edison just stoped hiring groundman off the street but, you can now hire as a project meter reader and have instant transfer rights, the day you start. if you really wanted in fast i would get your class A liscense then sign the books, as groundman at our hall and you'll be working the next day.

Sleek-Jet
11-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Sounds like we have similiar jobs... :idea:
Like was said before... it ain't for everybody. The lineman schools are good to get you through the book work and expose you a little to what you are going to be doing out in the field. You'll still have to do 4 years in the field before you can take the Journyman test and get your card.
Personally, I think eveyone should start out as a grunt and work their way up... but that's just me.

deltarat
11-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Sheee-ot! I'm not a lineman! I'm in the orfice all day! I get to tell the lineman to go pole climbing and manhole entering anywhere else but myself!
I swear that when we were at the lake this spring you said that you always liked climbing in to damp dark manholes, help me out here Norm did I miss quote that? Besides when I read between the lines here is what I see you posted

diggler
11-21-2006, 01:08 PM
I swear that when we were at the lake this spring you said that you I always liked climbing in to damp dark manholes, Please help me out here Norm did I miss quote that? Besides when I read between the lines here is what I see you posted
Terry!!! What are you saying!!!???

deltarat
11-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Terry!!! What are you saying!!!???
Yep just like you quoted it is how YOU said it, thanks for clearing that up for me; I didn't want to miss quote you! :)

78Anthonyjet
11-21-2006, 04:17 PM
I swear that when we were at the lake this spring you said that you always liked climbing in to damp dark manholes, help me out here Norm did I miss quote that? Besides when I read between the lines here is what I see you posted
That is what the man said, right in front of his wife, he like damp dark man holes, and he wears a dress, Derk you are starting to worry me. Are you the acting president of the HEMAN WOMEN HATERS CLUB?
Come to think about it Derk, where you not the guy that brought the Miata driver to the lake?

blackcloud75
11-21-2006, 11:21 PM
If I wasn't a Water Fairy(fireman) I would be a lineman, kick ass job!!!
Both my best friends are both troubleman for SCE and I thought fireman had all the toys, it's those damn "Bolt" jugglers that have everything!!!!!!!

full throttle
11-22-2006, 04:27 AM
Kanedog hit the nail on the head! Good description! Do you work for BC HYdro? Two things to add..... As a Lineman, you need to function near 100% ALL the time. You NEED to be very receptive to your surroundings, and have to develop the ability to, in a sense, read your coworkers minds, body language, etc. I know this sounds obscure, but those who do it understand! There IS no room for error! 1/60th of a sec. and it's OVER. I know, I've been there.

creepingcharlie
11-22-2006, 06:47 PM
I got a lot of good info on becoming a lineman,thanks guys. Well my next step is going to enroll into truck driving school to obtain class A license. then go and but my name on the uions list for groundsman. Well maybe I'll do that first. If theres any thing else I shounld do tell as I do think this hight risk, hight demanding career if me, I like having the coolist toys. thanks and have a happy Thanksgiving.

derail
11-22-2006, 10:47 PM
IBEW local 1245 is looking for men also san diego water and power is looking for men in a bad way I have good contacts for down there drop me a note if you want more info
Derail IBEW LU 640

buzzaro
11-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Kanedog hit the nail on the head! Good description! Do you work for BC HYdro? Two things to add..... As a Lineman, you need to function near 100% ALL the time. You NEED to be very receptive to your surroundings, and have to develop the ability to, in a sense, read your coworkers minds, body language, etc. I know this sounds obscure, but those who do it understand! There IS no room for error! 1/60th of a sec. and it's OVER. I know, I've been there.
This is like one of those statements your parents told you when you were a kid and didnt make any sense until 20 years later. Its very true though, Im not a lineman but I was in the ironworkers and saw bad things happen to people who didnt pay attention and some that were paying attention. Very rewarding and satisfying kind of work though.

Hammer
11-23-2006, 08:24 AM
I got a lot of good info on becoming a lineman,thanks guys. Well my next step is going to enroll into truck driving school to obtain class A license. then go and but my name on the uions list for groundsman. Well maybe I'll do that first. If theres any thing else I shounld do tell as I do think this hight risk, hight demanding career if me, I like having the coolist toys. thanks and have a happy Thanksgiving.
The only way to apply is on line. http://www.pge.com/careers/ PG&E is a closed shop, meaning you would have to join the IBEW 1245 shortly after you hire on. You don’t need to go to them, they will find you. The apprenticeship is not 4 years. You will not get an A card upon completion of the apprenticeship However, the pay is equal to the market rate of a journeymen with great benefits.
There are two choices, title 300 and 200. General Construction or Division Maintenance and Construction. The first is the feeder pool for division. Title 300 pays more due to the fact that the company can move you around the service territory to where the work is.
Keep in mind when making your decision, fear of heights are not most peoples issue, you can’t be hook shy. Being a Lineman is not just a job, it’s a lifestyle. If you’re thin skinned and look at it like a 9 to 5 job, you will wash out of the program. You have to love what you do and be passionate about your work.

sandblasted
11-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Some good info here....
I am a manager with SCE and can tell you that we are hiring apprentices like crazy...about 140 per year. We can't handle more than that because of the ratio of Journeymen Linemen to Apprentices...We are currently in about 6-7 year plan to fully automate our meter reading so our meter readers are scrambling for linemen jobs....We require all of them to attend a 3 day climbing school and many of them drop out or realize they don't like climbing a 45 ft pole with 2 little gaffs. ..In addition we are only hiring "temporary meter readers" but once in they can sign bids and transfer like regular employees. It's a good way to get your foot in the door and then transfer to a Groundman job. Here is the website to apply...
http://www.edison.com/careers/default.asp
The entry level job for our apprentices is called a "Groundman A". after 6 months you can sign an apprentice bid...generally in the district you are in...In addition we have trouble geeting applicants for our transmission department. You have to like climbing 100 foot poles and traveling alot...
Regarding "Troubleman", probably the best job in SCE if you like overtime....Generally work by yourself doing service calls and switching and they get the 1st call on all trouble orders and storms..You can easily make $150,000 a year or more...
Good luck! :)

Hammer
11-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Some good info here....
I am a manager with SCE and can tell you that we are hiring apprentices like crazy...about 140 per year. We can't handle more than that because of the ratio of Journeymen Linemen to Apprentices...We are currently in about 6-7 year plan to fully automate our meter reading so our meter readers are scrambling for linemen jobs....We require all of them to attend a 3 day climbing school and many of them drop out or realize they don't like climbing a 45 ft pole with 2 little gaffs. ..In addition we are only hiring "temporary meter readers" but once in they can sign bids and transfer like regular employees. It's a good way to get your foot in the door and then transfer to a Groundman job. Here is the website to apply...
The entry level job for our apprentices is called a "Groundman A". after 6 months you can sign an apprentice bid...generally in the district you are in...In addition we have trouble geeting applicants for our transmission department. You have to like climbing 100 foot poles and traveling alot...
Regarding "Troubleman", probably the best job in SCE if you like overtime....Generally work by yourself doing service calls and switching and they get the 1st call on all trouble orders and storms..You can easily make $150,000 a year or more...
Sounds like we work for the same company. Our Meter Readers are scrambling as well. The only difference is that the entry level position in the line department is T&D Assistant, and the pre-curser for getting an Apprentice position is passing the ACT test and 10 day climbing school.

shaffewm
11-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Your definition of "easily" and mine are probably a little different.... :)

SHOTKALLIN
11-23-2006, 11:24 AM
:idea: :idea: :idea: thanks for the thread

mexrunner
11-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Your definition of "easily" and mine are probably a little different....
i dont know of a troubleman that hasnt made over 150
but i dont like the troubleman job to many get up at 2am for 2hrs of work
Sanblasted do you work in the av yard

Kachina26
11-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Takes a special breed,even the training can be hazardous ouch (http://stupidvideos.com/video/just_plain_stupid/Pole_Top_Rescue/)

sandblasted
11-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Your definition of "easily" and mine are probably a little different.... :)
"Easily" might be a bad choice of words....A Troubleman has to work alot of overtime to earn that $150,000 a year but some guys are gluttons for punishment...If you like overtime and time away from the family then you can make the $$....

sandblasted
11-24-2006, 08:41 AM
i dont know of a troubleman that hasnt made over 150
but i dont like the troubleman job to many get up at 2am for 2hrs of work
Sanblasted do you work in the av yard
I worked there for several years.....Now I work in Kernville, by Lake Isabella....

creepingcharlie
11-26-2006, 09:41 PM
IBEW local 1245 is looking for men also san diego water and power is looking for men in a bad way I have good contacts for down there drop me a note if you want more info
Derail IBEW LU 640
Yes i would like some info. you can pm me or email me creepingcharlie@sbcglobal.net thanks.

creepingcharlie
11-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Some good info here....
I look but did find no openings for meter reader. Is there any other ways to get in that you might know of.thanks

creepingcharlie
11-26-2006, 09:52 PM
The only way to apply is on line. http://www.pge.com/careers/ PG&E is a closed shop, meaning you would have to join the IBEW 1245 shortly after you hire on. You don’t need to go to them, they will find you. The apprenticeship is not 4 years. You will not get an A card upon completion of the apprenticeship However, the pay is equal to the market rate of a journeymen with great benefits.
There are two choices, title 300 and 200. General Construction or Division Maintenance and Construction. The first is the feeder pool for division. Title 300 pays more due to the fact that the company can move you around the service territory to where the work is.
Keep in mind when making your decision, fear of heights are not most peoples issue, you can’t be hook shy. Being a Lineman is not just a job, it’s a lifestyle. If you’re thin skinned and look at it like a 9 to 5 job, you will wash out of the program. You have to love what you do and be passionate about your work.
I have already applied for groundsman, but have not gotten contacted yet. Looking forward to that as this is the utilites provider in my area.

kanedog
11-27-2006, 09:17 AM
So your waiting for someone to phone you?
Just pick up the phone and givem a call to see where you stand. Maybe you might have been misplaced in hr or something.
A call from you might just be what gets you to the top of the list

wedge44
11-27-2006, 02:50 PM
This is the best place to start:
http://personline.lacity.org/job_list/index.cfm?FuseAction=Showspec&CC=3870
Most appren. earn over $106K the first year out of the basic training with OT, meals and zone pay.
When you promote to line mechanic, your pay will average about $170.000 + OT and meals and zone pay and annual bonus and longitivity pay at 5 years and 10 years,, easily make considerably more $$.
Pay raises are about 4% per year, and it's cash on the barrelhead.
You see the whole raise on your paycheck.
Bennies are negotiated seperately.
Ya have to be willing to take a basic electricity course before they will consider you for employment.
Anyone not willing to at least do that first isn't worth hiring in their opinion,, and it's a good opinion.
The whole third world and every flake out there was applying for the job until they started this good policy.
The work is very hard, very regimented, usually is dangerous.
If you don't have a head for heights and a thick skin,, this isn't for you.
Not telephone pole heights, but 90 feet and above, and sometimes swinging from a helicoptor, or on lines over canyons/valleys that are super high from the canyon floor.
I just retired young from LADWP with a pension in the six figures, full bennys, and my wife will get a 100% continuance on these bennies & pension with 3 % raises annually.
My retirement is 87% of my gross pay. If I worked 5 more years it would be 100%.
TPC where did you work .....I left DWP East Valley underground back in 89....my dad just retired from them for the second time.......love that 34.5 when it makes your hair stand up.....the 110 kv under oxnard street bugged the sh*t out me...wedge

Trailer Park Casanova
11-27-2006, 07:33 PM
TPC where did you work .....I left DWP East Valley underground back in 89....my dad just retired from them for the second time.......love that 34.5 when it makes your hair stand up.....the 110 kv under oxnard street bugged the sh*t out me...wedge
I left the power system when Carl Cary grounded the HOT 230KV transmission line at Scattergood. All 3 legs.
Blew glass insulators into downtown El Segundo.
That was just after Tom LeJuness hung his amprobe on a hot 4kv leg.
Everyone exploded like an overdone Hot Dog in a Microwave oven.
Both incidences I came just feet from getting annihalated while doing other duties.
This was just after they blew up the unit 2 180 Megawatt cap boiler.
I missed getting toasted in that fiasco by about 60 feet.
Did a lateral transfer into HVAC.
Same money, a bit safer conditions,, and usually home at nite and weekends.

creepingcharlie
11-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Well I looked into get my class A. There are a couple schools here in the area. Quality college of transportation I think is the one that i going to us. Its the most expensive one at $4 grand, but that covers DMV fees and physical exam. The other are $1500 and that don't cover DMV fees and physical exam. One of my coworkers went to quality and only payed $2500 cash. do these pieces sound right or should I bargain with them.

creepingcharlie
12-06-2006, 06:17 PM
alright I have found anther JATC program it is Northwestlinejatc.org. Any one know what kind of recognition they have.

creepingcharlie
12-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Shotkallin you might wana try them to I'm going to.
www.northwestlinejatc.org

SHOTKALLIN
12-06-2006, 10:44 PM
I'd go to Az before going up north. I prefer the desert.

creepingcharlie
12-07-2006, 08:02 AM
Me to but what ever it take to become a lineman I will try and do.

SHOTKALLIN
12-07-2006, 09:04 AM
there are 9 jatc's in the U.S. take your pic.

creepingcharlie
12-07-2006, 10:39 AM
there are 9 jatc's in the U.S. take your pic.
but only northwest and calnevjatc have apprenticeship in cali.

SHOTKALLIN
12-07-2006, 11:10 AM
oh ok

SHOTKALLIN
12-07-2006, 11:12 AM
what city in cali?

creepingcharlie
12-07-2006, 11:46 AM
northwestlinejatc is in portland OR, covers nor cal, orgn, wash, idao.calnevjatc covers all of cali and nev.
or if you ask what city i'm in, fresno ca.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Who encouraged you to enquire here in HB?

carteaco
12-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Creepingcharlie check your PMs.I'm an Elect Contractor in Fresno. Do you want to be a Lineman( PG&E) or a construction electrician.

creepingcharlie
12-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Who encouraged you to enquire here in HB?
Nobody just thought that I give it try.

shaffewm
12-11-2006, 05:21 PM
You can also check out powerlineman.com....its the ***boat of linework, only no boats or boobs...:(...errr, my bad, I mean no rhinos...

GABACHOS_LBC
12-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Watch www.sce.com in the next upcoming months. I have heard several Lineman positions available.

jungledave
12-22-2006, 07:39 AM
I looking to get in this field of work. Just woundering if theres any that vist these forums.Well I am new to this sight and glad to see there are lineman here. I am a journeyman at a large REA just east of Colorado Springs. There is one websight that comes to mind, "www.powerlineman.com" go to the employment section and search west. Find your local union hall and talk to them. There are a lot of big contractors out west. California is probably the highest paying state in the country. It is a great line of work to get into. If you are older I hope your back, shoulders and knees are in good shape. Unless you are planning on just doing transmission be prepared for underground. Here at Mountain View Electric we spend more time, "working in holes than hooking poles". Fortunately we still do a lot of overhead though. If you have a good mechanical sence you will do good, if you don't you will be someones boss someday. Linework is kinda like being a well paid boyscout with all the rigging and stringing and pulling and climbing ect. David L.

Sleek-Jet
12-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Well I am new to this sight and glad to see there are lineman here. I am a journeyman at a large REA just east of Colorado Springs. There is one websight that comes to mind, "www.powerlineman.com" go to the employment section and search west. Find your local union hall and talk to them. There are a lot of big contractors out west. California is probably the highest paying state in the country. It is a great line of work to get into. If you are older I hope your back, shoulders and knees are in good shape. Unless you are planning on just doing transmission be prepared for underground. Here at Mountain View Electric we spend more time, "working in holes than hooking poles". Fortunately we still do a lot of overhead though. If you have a good mechanical sence you will do good, if you don't you will be someones boss someday. Linework is kinda like being a well paid boyscout with all the rigging and stringing and pulling and climbing ect. David L.
How did you guys do during the storm???
I worked for nearly a decade for La Plata over in Durango, storms like those were always "fun".... :D

SHOTKALLIN
05-16-2007, 05:46 PM
I just got a job as a groundman yesterday. Just trying to work my way into the aprenticeship. I was denied my first time around and I get to reapply after 1000 hours.:D

creepingcharlie
05-16-2007, 06:08 PM
thats great news. I am still trying. what company did you get on with?

Kachina26
05-16-2007, 08:17 PM
I just got a job as a groundman yesterday. Just trying to work my way into the aprenticeship. I was denied my first time around and I get to reapply after 1000 hours.:D
I thought you were a pig, career change?

SHOTKALLIN
05-17-2007, 08:48 AM
thats great news. I am still trying. what company did you get on with?
I got picked up with Asplundh. I was extremely lucky. Finally some some stars starting to line up for me.:D

SHOTKALLIN
05-17-2007, 09:09 AM
I thought you were a pig, career change?
I was a Custody assistant for L.A. County. Started with the Dept in 89'. I went to their Deputy academy in 99. I broke my leg in the academy so I didn't graduate. I'm actually happy I was forced into a career change. It was never enough money before and county government Always gives themselves raises, but screws the employee when it comes to getting a raise.
Sheriff Baca(who makes 500k a year) actually said "If you want a raise then sell your 50K trucks, boats and Jet Ski's. Drive a Volkswagen like I did." What a F U C K I N G asshole. You don't tell your troops that. That was the day I no longer desired to go back to the Deputy academy.
I lateraled to Santa Ana Jail and hated the Country Club way of treating inmates so I bounced to Riverside County as a Correctional Deputy. My third week with Riv. Co. I put hands on this inmate who had a pin in his arm and the arm snapped. Because I was new to the department. The County threw me under the bus and terminated me. Then they denied me unemployment.:mad: This was really disturbing after being in the business for 16+ years. Their loss, I was the hardest working team player in the jail. I am still going to court on one of their damn cases on my dime.:mad:
It has been a rough year but finally I'm working again.:D

Sleek-Jet
05-17-2007, 09:22 AM
I got picked up with Asplundh. I was extremely lucky. Finally some some stars starting to line up for me.:D
Congrats, I didn't know Asplundh had any line crews. We used them for some of our tree trimming back in Colorado.

Kachina26
05-17-2007, 10:12 AM
I was a Custody assistant for L.A. County. Started with the Dept in 89'. I went to their Deputy academy in 99. I broke my leg in the academy so I didn't graduate. I'm actually happy I was forced into a career change. It was never enough money before and county government Always gives themselves raises, but screws the employee when it comes to getting a raise.
Sheriff Baca(who makes 500k a year) actually said "If you want a raise then sell your 50K trucks, boats and Jet Ski's. Drive a Volkswagen like I did." What a F U C K I N G asshole. You don't tell your troops that. That was the day I no longer desired to go back to the Deputy academy.
I lateraled to Santa Ana Jail and hated the Country Club way of treating inmates so I bounced to Riverside County as a Correctional Deputy. My third week with Riv. Co. I put hands on this inmate who had a pin in his arm and the arm snapped. Because I was new to the department. The County threw me under the bus and terminated me. Then they denied me unemployment.:mad: This was really disturbing after being in the business for 16+ years. Their loss, I was the hardest working team player in the jail. I am still going to court on one of their damn cases on my dime.:mad:
It has been a rough year but finally I'm working again.:D
Wow, sounds rough. Good luck on the new career then :D Oh yeah, I've heard Baca saying some cornball shit about how others should manage their finances on the Jon and Ken show once. He's an ass.

SHOTKALLIN
05-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Wow, sounds rough. Good luck on the new career then :D Oh yeah, I've heard Baca saying some cornball shit about how others should manage their finances on the Jon and Ken show once. He's an ass.
Sherman Block always stood up and refused his raise until the county gave the line staff a raise. Baca would never do that. Besides that he has Asian mafia ties.;) It's funny how some people have the media in thier pocket and their dirt never leaks out.