PDA

View Full Version : Linksys wireless router help..

al cole'holic
11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
...I used to be able to connect to the internet with the SBC dsl router, then unplug the cable real quick and connect the Linksys and it would work fine..now at the new pad everytime I try to do the quick swap the computer disconnects itself from dsl and I don't have a way to connect thru the Linksys dealio..?..any suggestions? btw I don't have any software for it either :cry:

shueman
11-13-2006, 08:33 PM
You can get the Linksys config software on-line at their website....
Why not run the DLS router into the Linksys.....??

al cole'holic
11-13-2006, 08:38 PM
..thats what I meant...I would connect with the sbc dealio, then plug it into the Linksys..so I do use both. Before it would just say a network cable was unplugged then fix itself when I put it back, but now I get "dsl connection lost" on top of the unplugged cable... :hammerhea

racecar.hotshoe
11-13-2006, 08:39 PM
...I used to be able to connect to the internet with the SBC dsl router, then unplug the cable real quick and connect the Linksys and it would work fine..now at the new pad everytime I try to do the quick swap the computer disconnects itself from dsl and I don't have a way to connect thru the Linksys dealio..?..any suggestions? btw I don't have any software for it either :cry:
I have DSL It goes from the DSL box to my Linksys and everything works fine.Sometime I shut everything down unplug the power to the boxes.Wait 30 secs and plug DSL in first then the Linksys then power up the puter and alls well..

BajaMike
11-13-2006, 08:40 PM
I don't understand....why "unplug the cable real quick and connect the Linksys"....doesn't make sense, you are making this way to hard.
Plug the DSL in, connect the DSL WAN port to the Linksys WAN port, then plug the computer into the LAN port on the Linksys.....keep it that way forever.
There should never be a need to "unplug the cable real quick"...etc.
Maybe I'm missing something.
:rollside:

BajaMike
11-13-2006, 08:42 PM
You don't need the Linksys software, it's in the Linksys box, just set your browser to "http://(ip address of router lan port).
easy.

racecar.hotshoe
11-13-2006, 08:46 PM
You don't need the Linksys software, it's in the Linksys box, just set your browser to "http://(ip address of router lan port).
easy.
Dang your all smart and shia :p t..

al cole'holic
11-13-2006, 08:57 PM
...maybe it's cause I have to connect with a password/username or something..??..

Cole Sanger
11-13-2006, 09:15 PM
You can push the reset button back to the original (linksys and password if I remember right - get it off the linksys website) if you forget the password.

phebus
11-13-2006, 09:53 PM
...I used to be able to connect to the internet with the SBC dsl router, then unplug the cable real quick and connect the Linksys and it would work fine.
Maybe your just getting old and slow :)

Patyacht
11-13-2006, 11:04 PM
I don't understand....why "unplug the cable real quick and connect the Linksys"....doesn't make sense, you are making this way to hard.
Plug the DSL in, connect the DSL WAN port to the Linksys WAN port, then plug the computer into the LAN port on the Linksys.....keep it that way forever.
There should never be a need to "unplug the cable real quick"...etc.
Maybe I'm missing something.
:rollside:
BajaMike is corrrect. Go to the linksys site and look up your product on their site and download their instructions. Here's the link: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115417027773&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper
If i recall I think linksys uses 192.168.1.1 to access the router and they use admin as the pw. If not try 192.168.0.1. You should be able to enter your internet user name & password to maintain the connection.

bigq
11-13-2006, 11:16 PM
You posted on ***boat which is on the Internet, so your internet is working just fine....duh! :rolleyes:
J/K, like Mike said why disconnect at all. When yo connect the DSL from the system to the router it has to assign an IP to the WAN interface and then when you connect the computer to the router it need to do the same. When you hit repair on the computer connection it renews the IP from the router. Once you connect to the router as described above log into the router and renew the IP on the WAN side of the router.

TexasChopper
11-14-2006, 05:05 AM
Call their customer service and ask to speak to Raghand or Habib. They are all in India so I would suggest calling around 10pm so you will only have to sit on hold for about 40 minutes....
I was calling Linksys for a while more then I called my own family. My laptop will get a "very low" signal as soon as I get 20plus feel away from the router. I finally gave up after about 25 hours of my life was wasted talking to them.

rrrr
11-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Hmmmm....
I think you are sposed to have a crossover cable between the DSL modem and Linksys router. But if it worked before, you must have one...
http://192.168.1.1 should get you to the config menu for the router as someone suggested. Get that open and configure the router for DHCP protocol. Should work. If not, throw it all away and buy new stuff. :crossx:

roostwear
11-14-2006, 08:24 AM
The Linksys routers I've had were accessed at 192.168.0.0
The default username was "Admin", and the password was left blank. Once in the user utility, you'll need to enter your ISP username and password, then save. Launch your browser and see what happens.
Or not.....

boatnam2
11-14-2006, 09:52 AM
always have same problem,call sbc get to there tec line they will walk you thru it.we have the sbc 2 wire router but use lynksystem network adapters.

voodoomedman
11-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Hmmmm....
I think you are sposed to have a crossover cable between the DSL modem and Linksys router. But if it worked before, you must have one...
http://192.168.1.1 should get you to the config menu for the router as someone suggested. Get that open and configure the router for DHCP protocol. Should work. If not, throw it all away and buy new stuff. :crossx:
Negative. You would use the crossover between a router and switch.

al cole'holic
11-14-2006, 11:27 AM
..thanks for the help, I got it fingered out! Used the tech tool download and it got dialed in....now the problem is I loose a good signal right outside the room :mad:

Beer-30
11-14-2006, 11:51 AM
http://www.officedepot.com/pictures/SK/MD/774920_sk_md.jpg
Increase the range of your Linksys wireless devices.
High-gain, omnidirectional antennas attach to your Linksys wireless router or access point. Peak gain: 7 dBi.
Increases both the effective strength of the outgoing signal, and the reception sensitivity for incoming signals.
Improves close-range communication reliability by reducing the need to retransmit due to errors from a weak signal.
Easy to install: just unscrew your current antennas, and attach the high-gain antennas in their place. No drivers, no configuration needed.
Cost-effective way to extend a wireless network.
For R-TNC connectors. Works with these Linksys models: WRT54GS, WRT54G, WAP54G, BEFW11S4, WAP11 and AS2TNC (antenna stand).
Kit includes 2 antennas and 1 antenna stabilizer. Antenna dimensions: 11 1/4" x 9/16".
Backed by the manufacturer's 3-year limited warranty.