PDA

View Full Version : Am I Crazy?

atxwrangler
11-13-2006, 10:48 PM
It Seems That Some Blower Motors Have Harmonic Balancers On Them And Some Don't?what Gives???should They All Have Them??

P-Money
11-14-2006, 04:35 AM
I may be wrong, but no balancer means the motor is internally balanced, therefore you can just run a hub.

atxwrangler
11-14-2006, 05:08 AM
o.k. now that does make sense, now that i think about it! thanks! mine is internally balanced and i panicked when i saw a pic of a motor with the harmonic balancer,mine doesn't have one! http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2686HPIM0767.JPG

gn7
11-14-2006, 05:02 PM
no need to run a harmonic damper if you don't like your main bearing or don't mind changing them often. Some people will tell that the blower belt dampers the harmonics but in reality it makes it worse. Solid blower hubs were originally made for drags, short bursts and into the lower end often. For a pleasure boat, you can't beat GOOD damper for longivty.

atxwrangler
11-14-2006, 07:45 PM
thanx, do you know anyone running their boat setup like mine,without dampner?mine has the hub,could i use the harmonic balancer i had on it before?thanx in advance!

IMPATIENT 1
11-14-2006, 07:48 PM
if its balance mill, no balancer goes back on it, it'll thru balance off

IMPATIENT 1
11-14-2006, 07:54 PM
i bought a nice balancer for my blower mill, gonna send it with the crank and flexplate for balancing. i've always herd its better to run a balancer for harmonics from the rotors. don't know if its true, but it made sense to me so i figured what the hell.its doesn't cost me anymore to balance this way.
i used to build dirt track sbc'c for my boss's modifieds. i always told the machine to try to add weight to the flexplate 1st then balance them out for me. we had a claim rule that allowed our motors to be bought for 350.00. our claimer mills had at least 3k in em, and everyone new it. we got bought 4 times the 1st season. the next season all we herd was how the mill we got claimed for had bad vibrations and didn't last 2 races,lol. in the claim rule, we got to keep our flywheels, the pricks who'd claim on us saw balance work but never got to see flywheels. :crossx:

GofastRacer
11-14-2006, 08:14 PM
no need to run a harmonic damper if you don't like your main bearing or don't mind changing them often. Some people will tell that the blower belt dampers the harmonics but in reality it makes it worse. Solid blower hubs were originally made for drags, short bursts and into the lower end often. For a pleasure boat, you can't beat GOOD damper for longivty.
Well, I drive off the front and the front of the crank is internally balanced so I run a hub, I been doing that for 25+ years and I run the shit out of them and never yet have wasted any bearings, maybe I'm just lucky??..

atxwrangler
11-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Well, I drive off the front and the front of the crank is internally balanced so I run a hub, I been doing that for 25+ years and I run the shit out of them and never yet have wasted any bearings, maybe I'm just lucky??..
that is what i was looking for,ral experience.don hampton set mine this way and knew it was going in a boat.i tink at this point,i will take my chances!thanks for the input guys! :)

gn7
11-15-2006, 07:20 AM
if you are running off the snout, and (and you are and so am I) the damper doesn't do a whole lot because the crank snout is tied down by the prop. The best thing there is to run the HARMONIC damper off the flywheel end. ATI makes an adapter just for boats to do this, but I believe this guy is running a jet. Call ANY crank manufacture and ask them, and they will tell you to run a DAMPER and they have nothing to gain by telling you this.

atxwrangler
11-15-2006, 08:33 AM
gn7 ,yes i am running a jet.thanx for the info.i will see what the vibration is like when i fire it for the first time.if i need to, the next time i pull it down,i will get one and have it balanced for my motor!

gn7
11-16-2006, 07:41 AM
iam not trying to shake you up with all this, I have run blower motors with just a hub before with no dyer problems, but I run run one when ever I can. Just so you know, you cannot feel harmonics, frequency is way to high, but your crank knows. Also, they are not balancers, (unless you call the counter weight that 454, 400 etc. have) they are harmonic dampers. They have nothing to do with internal or external balance. They are there to damper harmonic vibrations. Like trying to ring a bell with your finger on it. Thud. They also help to over come some of they crank deflection the crank goes thru every time a cyl. fires. Nobody ever hurt a motor by putting on a Good damper.

Havasu47
11-16-2006, 08:34 AM
iam not trying to shake you up with all this, I have run blower motors with just a hub before with no dyer problems, but I run run one when ever I can. Just so you know, you cannot feel harmonics, frequency is way to high, but your crank knows. Also, they are not balancers, (unless you call the counter weight that 454, 400 etc. have) they are harmonic dampers. They have nothing to do with internal or external balance. They are there to damper harmonic vibrations. Like trying to ring a bell with your finger on it. Thud. They also help to over come some of they crank deflection the crank goes thru every time a cyl. fires. Nobody ever hurt a motor by putting on a Good damper.
Not totally true. An externally balanced engine uses a damper that has a counter wieght, is balanced with the rotating assy. and is an important part of the balancing. Internally balanced engines use a neutral balanced damper with no counter weight. Put the wrong damper on your engine and you will create huge problems.

MAXIMUS
11-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Not totally true. An externally balanced engine uses a damper that has a counter wieght, is balanced with the rotating assy. and is an important part of the balancing. Internally balanced engines use a neutral balanced damper with no counter weight. Put the wrong damper on your engine and you will create huge problems.
Ok.... there you go getting all technical n shit! I am running a mopar alternator pulley on my lawn mower for a main balancing device & it seems to work fine so I don't see a problem with GN7 having social issues as a dampner dealer for ati... :rolleyes: What say you now you bald headed freak! :devil:
And by the way Bob you say you can't feel harmonics... Clearly you have never been with an african/puertorican large headed women from canada... :notam:

MAXIMUS
11-16-2006, 04:21 PM
o.k. now that does make sense, now that i think about it! thanks! mine is internally balanced and i panicked when i saw a pic of a motor with the harmonic balancer,mine doesn't have one! http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2686HPIM0767.JPG
I am running a 540 with no dampner & the focker is externally balanced! :messedup: Vibrates at about 8k but not too bad! :220v:
Your set up should be fine. :)

gn7
11-16-2006, 05:11 PM
go back and read what I posted. if it has a counter wieght then I guess you could call it a balancer, but the correct term for all of them is harmonic damper, damn this is a tuff thread.

gn7
11-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Ok.... there you go getting all technical n shit! I am running a mopar alternator pulley on my lawn mower for a main balancing device & it seems to work fine so I don't see a problem with GN7 having social issues as a dampner dealer for ati... :rolleyes: What say you now you bald headed freak! :devil:
And by the way Bob you say you can't feel harmonics... Clearly you have never been with an african/puertorican large headed women from canada... :notam:
look here my dear friend, I am not trying to be a dick about this, it is just that I am a little anal retentive, as opposed to you who are very anal receptive. Looked that up in your websters.

Havasu47
11-16-2006, 05:46 PM
go back and read what I posted. if it has a counter wieght then I guess you could call it a balancer, but the correct term for all of them is harmonic damper, damn this is a tuff thread.
You missed my point. I am not debating the proper terminology of a torsional damper. :D An externally balanced engine uses a Torsional Damper commonly refered to as a Harmonic Balancer. I was pointing out that you stated They have nothing to do with internal or external balance and they do. They use completely different dampers. If atxwrangler picks up his Summit catalogue and orders the wrong damper thinking they are all the same, he will be screwed. :cry: :D
OH and Maximus bald is beautiful :rollside: Notice that not one of the smilies have hair!

atomickitn
11-16-2006, 08:06 PM
ooooooooooohhh :rollside: ooooooooooooooooooooohhh !!! hey now that you mention it (sp) them smileys dont have hair .......hugh! :rollside: :rollside:

MAXIMUS
11-17-2006, 05:29 AM
Bob when did you get all sensitive n shit... :rolleyes: Havabung47 is a homo so don't take him to serious.... He runs a dampner on his unit & thinks this wins him over with the other havasu squirrels...
I believe you are both saying the same damn thing here but what the f*** do I know... I am a Big gay jesus formerly known as A circus monkey & I own a jet! :idea: :hammerhea

gn7
11-17-2006, 06:43 AM
Bob when did you get all sensitive n shit... :rolleyes: Havabung47 is a homo so don't take him to serious.... He runs a dampner on his unit & thinks this wins him over with the other havasu squirrels...
I believe you are both saying the same damn thing here but what the f*** do I know... I am a Big gay jesus formerly known as A circus monkey & I own a jet! :idea: :hammerhea
yeah well I was only on this thread for your personal entertainment(or abuse) anyway, and actually thought that the guy who started this really wanted the help, stupid me. And I see you brought some help from some one who actually knows what he is talking about,(B&D). Now go back to your gay friends on v-drive.

Havasu47
11-17-2006, 09:20 AM
yeah well I was only on this thread for your personal entertainment(or abuse) anyway, and actually thought that the guy who started this really wanted the help, stupid me. And I see you brought some help from some one who actually knows what he is talking about,(B&D). Now go back to your gay friends on v-drive.
Maxipad and his Dad have been drinking C-16 straight up on the rocks! :220v: I agree, Maxigoo, go back to Bench fags and leave the technical stuff to people who's driveways don't resemble Sanford and son! :D

gn7
11-17-2006, 11:30 AM
I've never seen that driveway, but have had visions. You just know it can't be pretty

MAXIMUS
11-17-2006, 03:31 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :devil:

gn7
11-17-2006, 04:13 PM
wow maxi I didn't know you were a multi tasker, you can type and annoy the hell out me at the same time.