PDA

View Full Version : Paging all HB chefs...

BshyBvrGirl
11-14-2006, 06:35 AM
I need some help!
I'm throwing a get together for some friends who, because of their jobs as direct support professionals for the local children's residential treatment center and women's domestic violence shelter, don't get to go home for Thanksgiving or Christmas and spend time with their families.
I need some really good appetizer/hors d'oevres ideas...you know, above and beyond the whole chips and dip standards, since this will not be a sit down dinner event (and I figure they deserve to be treated special for the work they do everyday)
Looking forward to some great ideas!

Pheelin Phroggy
11-14-2006, 06:57 AM
slice 2-3 different block cheeses into small blocks, get colored toothpicks, attach a variety of grapes to the small cheese blocks utilizing the toothpicks. garnish with some veggies and ranch dip..... simple, good

Tom Brown
11-14-2006, 07:34 AM
How about smoked salmon on triscuits?
If you want to do something really special, put the cream cheese based dip on the cracker and then arrange two slices of salmon per cracker like labia. A tiny piece of olive makes a convincing cliterous. There you a delicious vulva. There's nothing more special than that.

v-drive
11-14-2006, 07:38 AM
To bad you didn't ask for a cheese cake recipe. I make a killer one

NOTALENT
11-14-2006, 07:44 AM
A Catered Life....this has your name all over it. :rollside:

BshyBvrGirl
11-14-2006, 07:49 AM
Desserts are totally welcome :D

HocusPocus
11-14-2006, 07:52 AM
little smokies with brown sugar wrapped in bacon. it doesn't matter how many of those things we make they are always the first things gone.
:rollside:

NOTALENT
11-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Meatballs made with grape jelly...mmmm they also go quick! :p

Powerquestboy
11-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Bacon wrapped water chessnuts rule and they are easy, just bake on a cookie sheet until golden brown. I do shrimp wrapped in bacon and marinade in tequila and lime then grill them. Brie, crackers and summer sausage is great. Cream cheese with Salsa poored over it is good to have laying around and takes 6 seconds to make.

a catered life
11-14-2006, 08:32 AM
A Catered Life....this has your name all over it. :rollside:
lmao...two of my best selling appetizers...stuffed spicy chicken pockets and roman tomatoes stuffed with crab salad
both are easy and not to pricey :p season a couple of chicken breast (on the spicy side) and grill them, place the chicken in a food processer and grind down to a medium texture (do not puree it) sautee some, red,yellow and green bells, brown onions adding garlic at the last minute, add you sauteed veggies to the processer and blend, place mixture in a bowl and add diced green chilies, and any spicy salsa, .....take a few sheet of puff pastry or filo dough (either works fine) using a cookie cutter cut the dough up into circles...next place a small amount of the mixture on one of the circles and top with a second circle, using a fork pinch the ends down, brush with a egg wash and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown at 325....serve immediatly yum...the secert to this recipe is how well you season your meat mixture...make sure its zesty and has a lot of flavor
cut roman tomatoes in half scoop out 60% of insides....cut the bottoms of the tomatoes so they will sit on your serving dish without moving now stuff with either your own crab salad mixture or store bought...homemade taste better if you make it but make sure it includes small shrimp or bay shrimp (larger shrimp are ok just cut them up, celery, diced green ionion, lump crab meat and mayo, lemon, pepper, and a dash of caynne pepper.....top with a small drop of any red cavier, a small lemon wedge, and a sprig of parsley
new send me a invite so i can eat...i hope this helps have fun and good luck

a catered life
11-14-2006, 08:34 AM
little smokies with brown sugar wrapped in bacon. it doesn't matter how many of those things we make they are always the first things gone.
:rollside:
lil smokies wrapped in biscuit dough taste awesome also :p

All-Star
11-14-2006, 08:59 AM
you want fast and easy...
Costo frozen meatballs... throw it in a slow cooker with a ton of Bar-B-Que sauce over it... turn it on and you are done
Large platter... put a block of Philly cream cheese in the center of it and pour some salsa over the top of the block and then spread wheat thins around it. You can dress it up to with other garnish or sprinkle shredded cheese over the top.
I will get back to you with a few others.

Sleek-Jet
11-14-2006, 09:14 AM
I vote for the tomato ones... :D
I think Bushy should make those, lots of them... :D :D :D

a catered life
11-14-2006, 12:28 PM
I vote for the tomato ones... :D
I think Bushy should make those, lots of them... :D :D :D
a party favorite...fancy and priced right :p

Sleek-Jet
11-14-2006, 12:42 PM
a party favorite...fancy and priced right :p
Of course... I mean, who doesn't like tomatos??? :idea:

BshyBvrGirl
11-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Of course... I mean, who doesn't like tomatos??? :idea:
I stand firmly on my position that tomatos...of all kinds...are poop :D
I realize that's pretty much an anti-american statement, cuz I mean, who doesn't like pizza, spaghetti, lasagna, salsa, and the likes, right? However, because of my love for friends and family and others who do enjoy tomatos, I will be cooking what seems to be a lovely appetizer that a catered life has offered up :rollside:

C-2
11-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
It's not cheap - but will make you famous, and you can make it the day before your party (in fact, it's better after sitting overnight).
Cut the portions in half for an appetizer amount and to save money.
And I also agree on bacon wrapped anything, and anything soaked in the chili sauce/grape jelly mix.
------------------
20 oz Ketchup (1 lbs)
4 Lemons
4 Limes
Regular/Med Size Red Onion
1 lbs Imitation Crab Meat
2 lbs. Shrimp
2 Cans Baby Clams (and use the juice too).
3 Tomatoes
1 Bushel Cilantro
2 or 3 Cucumbers
Avocados to taste
3 Green Chiles (less seeds)
3 Yellow Chiles (less seeds)
Salt/Pepper to taste
Garlic powder
Serve in a bowl or cup with Saltines and Tapatio hot sauce.
This is an unreal cold appetizer, or even a meal. It has two downfalls though; it can be expensive if you don’t find a good deal on shrimp, and the other is you’ll have to pick and choose your parties since after bringing this dish – you’ll be invited to them all!
Some ingredients in the dish make it better or worse. Find good tomato’s, vine ripened if possible. If you have a strong onion – scale it back some. Make sure cucumbers are crisp – not spongy. Shrimp is also a key player. Preferably I like to cook my own, cool them, and then add them to the dish. But you can also use the ready to eat cooked shrimp with equally good results. If you cook your own shrimp and sear them in butter, garlic and parsley like I do – be sure to drain the shrimp before adding to the dish. Do not deglaze the pan and add it to the dish – the butter will float to the top and put a film on the dish since it’s served cold, which looks yucky.
Be sure to add the exact ingredients – don’t leave out cilantro, chilies (not bell peppers!) or onion. Trust me, they are in there in the right amounts and even people who normally can’t stand cilantro or onion won’t notice they are in there. Be sure to keep the Chile seeds out – you can always add heat later.
Finely chop the following – Cilantro, chilies, and onion.
Coarse chop the tomatoes, avocados and cucumbers, you want somewhat bite size chucks.
Juice the lemons and limes.
Cut/shred the crab meat.
I usually chop all the vegetables first, throw them in a large salad bowl, add the lemon/lime juice, salt and pepper, and garlic powder and mix it real good. Then I’ll add the crab meat, shrimp, clams/juice; finish it by adding the ketchup. Normally you need about a cup or two of water to bring the liquid level up – and use good water, bad tap water can destroy this dish.
This dish is like a good spaghetti sauce – the more you stir it, the better it tastes. And it gets even better after refrigerating it overnight. Throw some on a cracker with a dash of Tapatio ~ and you’ll be in culinary heaven.

BshyBvrGirl
11-14-2006, 03:52 PM
great suggestions. thanks everyone! I think just based recipes from here, my party will be a hit :D
of course, feel free to add to the list...I like to entertain...

pm069
11-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Can't go wrong with the little smokie links and/or mini dogs (you can cut regular ones [bite size]) in barbque sauce, heated up well. Serve in chafing dish or fondue pot to keep warm, have toothpicks on the side, and let them have at it. Cheap, quick and really easy. :cool:

Tom Brown
11-14-2006, 09:33 PM
How about sharing anyway?

beerjet
11-14-2006, 09:36 PM
lmao...two of my best selling appetizers...stuffed spicy chicken pockets and roman tomatoes stuffed with crab salad
both are easy and not to pricey :p season a couple of chicken breast (on the spicy side) and grill them, place the chicken in a food processer and grind down to a medium texture (do not puree it) sautee some, red,yellow and green bells, brown onions adding garlic at the last minute, add you sauteed veggies to the processer and blend, place mixture in a bowl and add diced green chilies, and any spicy salsa, .....take a few sheet of puff pastry or filo dough (either works fine) using a cookie cutter cut the dough up into circles...next place a small amount of the mixture on one of the circles and top with a second circle, using a fork pinch the ends down, brush with a egg wash and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown at 325....serve immediatly yum...the secert to this recipe is how well you season your meat mixture...make sure its zesty and has a lot of flavor
cut roman tomatoes in half scoop out 60% of insides....cut the bottoms of the tomatoes so they will sit on your serving dish without moving now stuff with either your own crab salad mixture or store bought...homemade taste better if you make it but make sure it includes small shrimp or bay shrimp (larger shrimp are ok just cut them up, celery, diced green ionion, lump crab meat and mayo, lemon, pepper, and a dash of caynne pepper.....top with a small drop of any red cavier, a small lemon wedge, and a sprig of parsley
new send me a invite so i can eat...i hope this helps have fun and good luck
You keep this up , and the little lady is gonna have a pretty bad ass cook book .:D

Tom Brown
11-14-2006, 10:02 PM
who doesn't like tomatos??? :idea:
Losers. That's who.

a catered life
11-15-2006, 07:31 AM
You keep this up , and the little lady is gonna have a pretty bad ass cook book .:D
just make sure i get some of the publishing credits