PDA

View Full Version : Major Scratch in my boat today

moneypit
01-21-2006, 06:25 PM
I felt sick to my stomach today when i went outside today to check out the boat. I was going to start getting it ready for the boating season until i noticed a big score above the rub rail.
I have the boat under a big canopy cover that I ordered this year. I never thought the f'ing bolts that go throught the canopy would get anywhere near my boat. The wind blew hard and pushed the sucker up against the boat. It ripped open the boat cover and ran a fiberglass deep score along the boat for about 10 inches.
I almost puked up my eggs. FOCK!!!! The kids ran needless to say.
I called Nordic. They said they can fix it.. I have no idea what it will look like when they are done. Anyone have similiar work done to their boat?
I will be down to the river next weekend to drop it off.
Sorry no pics yet.

moneypit
01-21-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm having some similar beauty marks "buffed out" at Warlock as we speak. I'll let you know when they hit me up with the bill. :D
Im worried because of it being a gel coat.. Im not a boat builder, but i think it will be fixed with paint.
Im scared of the bill.

JetBoatRich
01-21-2006, 06:34 PM
THAT SUCKS, sorry to hear it :yuk:

Rexone
01-21-2006, 06:34 PM
If it's gel and you want it to look good it should be fixed with gel. There's plenty of talented guys out there to do it right. A quality job and you won't know it was ever fixed.

moneypit
01-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Warlock indicated to me that it would be fixed with gel. They said it was "no big deal" because it was all on the white, but I'm pretty much prepared to B.O.A.T. :rolleyes:
Mines all in the red... The amount that clicked in my head was a Grand also. I am getting a step on the trailer repaired also. Could be spendy.

al cole'holic
01-21-2006, 06:41 PM
..you may want to get the insurance co. on the horn :cry:
Sorry to hear that, it has been pretty damn windy here today for sure..I had some damage through the gel before even through color fades, after it was fixed though you couldn't tell...it'll be fine when fixed at least :)

moneypit
01-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Im glad that it can be fixed with gel. Yea, I might break out the boat policy. It all depends on the invoice.

Focker
01-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Im glad that it can be fixed with gel. Yea, I might break out the boat policy. It all depends on the invoice.
YA REMEMBER MY MALIBU
3 DIFFERENT INCIDENTS OF GEL COAT REPAIR WITH MY TEENAGER
NEVER A CLUE AS TO WHERE THE DAMAGE WAS DONE AFTER THE REPAIR
JUST MAKE SURE THE GEL COAT GUY IS GOOD
YA DONT NEED NORDIC TO DO IT

al cole'holic
01-21-2006, 07:01 PM
..too bad havasubarney isn't doing repairs anymore, he was pretty good. There's actually a guy around us that did the repairs for Cole, I'll have to dig for his number..

moneypit
01-21-2006, 07:02 PM
YA REMEMBER MY MALIBU
3 DIFFERENT INCIDENTS OF GEL COAT REPAIR WITH MY TEENAGER
NEVER A CLUE AS TO WHERE THE DAMAGE WAS DONE AFTER THE REPAIR
JUST MAKE SURE THE GEL COAT GUY IS GOOD
YA DONT NEED NORDIC TO DO IT
I think I will start back at nordic. Since im getting the trailer fixed there. Im so bummed... you going to the desert heat run?

olbiezer
01-21-2006, 07:07 PM
ive seen gel guys do miracles with gel .........anyone that knows what he is doing will make it so u never knew it was hurt at all........

GHT
01-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Ask Kilrtoy about scratches... I think he has someone in line to fix a potential scratch someone said they may put in his boat.. :cool: :rolleyes:

Hardly Satisfied
01-21-2006, 07:21 PM
THAT SUCKS, I feel for you

Havasu Hangin'
01-21-2006, 07:23 PM
I've had ALOT of fiberglass and gel work done over the years. As long as the scratch isn't in faded gel (hard to match), you'll never know it was there when they're done.

superdave013
01-21-2006, 07:26 PM
TRG fiberglass aka Toddnjuzz here on the forums does fantastic work!
And he's a cool dude to boot.

HavasuBarney
01-21-2006, 07:28 PM
..too bad havasubarney isn't doing repairs anymore, he was pretty good. There's actually a guy around us that did the repairs for Cole, I'll have to dig for his number..
Actually, I am doing some repair work in Havasu. I'm only in Havasu on the weekends right now but smaller jobs are no problem.
702-238-3429

Partycattin
01-21-2006, 07:39 PM
My buddy banged up his new boat pretty good when he first got it. Took it to Advantage and they had someone come in fix the glass and regel the area. Looks great and I think it cost $500-600.

al cole'holic
01-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Actually, I am doing some repair work in Havasu. I'm only in Havasu on the weekends right now but smaller jobs are no problem.
702-238-3429
..wassup Barn, glad to see you're at least lurking :)
We gonna run into you in Laughlin again..??

Hal
01-21-2006, 07:47 PM
702-238-3429
There you go...

Focker
01-21-2006, 08:12 PM
I think I will start back at nordic. Since im getting the trailer fixed there. Im so bummed... you going to the desert heat run?
WHEN IS IT

Magic34
01-21-2006, 08:24 PM
People fix stuff like this all the time. Don't sweat it too much. It can be fixed and a lot easier than you think. You won't even notice it.

moneypit
01-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Cool.. Thanks for all the mental support. I still had to dip into the Hendricks's Cucumber Gin and boy is it smoove!
Barney- If i take some quality photos, could you give me some ideas what you think it would cost?

C-2
01-21-2006, 09:17 PM
WHEN IS IT
:D :D :D

firebadge
01-21-2006, 10:00 PM
I had billet swimsteps relocated on the transom. the holes were filled and gel work was done. You could not even notice any work was done.

Kilrtoy
01-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Ask Kilrtoy about scratches... I think he has someone in line to fix a potential scratch someone said they may put in his boat.. :cool: :rolleyes:
I do have 9 attorney's backed by 16 years.

cola
01-22-2006, 06:28 AM
I have used Rod @ Boat Body & Repair in Havasu. I think he's been there 17 or 18 years. He knows his s*it.
Late, Mike

HavasuBarney
01-22-2006, 06:32 AM
..wassup Barn, glad to see you're at least lurking :)
We gonna run into you in Laughlin again..??
Yes, we'll be out there all week.
I'll track you down a little earlier in the week this year and we'll kick up some dust.

SDLifesaver
01-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Like Mike (Cola) said, Rod at Boat/Body on Industrial/Bahama is really good and very reasonable. Quick turn around. I am really picky and was very pleased. Nick

cola
01-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Like Mike (Cola) said, Rod at Boat/Body on Industrial/Bahama is really good and very reasonable. Quick turn around. I am really picky and was very pleased. Nick
Your picky ?

Havaparty
01-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Im worried because of it being a gel coat.. Im not a boat builder, but i think it will be fixed with paint.
Im scared of the bill.
As long as the area scratched isn't in the middle of a fade it should be a pretty easy deal. If done correctly it will be filled with gel and then sanded and buffed. It shouldn't cost much and will not that a long time to finish

KoolPop
01-22-2006, 07:04 AM
Im scared of the bill.
Daves fiberglass, at the south end of Lake Havasu. He does great gel coat repair.

cola
01-22-2006, 07:08 AM
Yes, we'll be out there all week.
I'll track you down a little earlier in the week this year and we'll kick up some dust.
Would you do a lite color sand & buff my boat. :)