PDA

View Full Version : Our 26 ft Ultra Shadow Test Ride

drejustice
11-14-2006, 07:49 AM
First I want to thank John and his wife for taking time out of their weekend to meeting us on Sunday. We flew out from the East Coast this past weekend to take a test ride in a 26 Shadow. All I can say is wow!!!! Conditions were NOT ideal in his view and he apologized but from my perspective, what better way to see what the boat could do then run it with crappy conditions.
Wind was blowing with gusts up to 30 according to the radio. The water was basicallly a white cap machine with 2-4 foot waves when we were out for our ride.
Our conclusion: We are sold! :cool: Let's just say, I'll be owning a tunnel by next May!!!! fyi...I now have a taylor jet boat for sale;)
But don't take our word for it as I did manage to shoot a little video on 1 of our runs. Now the quality isn't great as I was using the Video feature on my little digital still camera and I couldn't hold it that still, but you still get the idea that the ride in these conditions is Impressive.
To see Video :Click here (http://www.teamjustice.net/pics/ultratestride.wmv)
The only other boat we saw out was John's friend in a 27 Shadow.(That looked to handled the rough conditions even better). These conditions are rare back East on the Lake where we would use the boat so for us it was a good test to show how the boat would do if we were ever faced with bad conditions and still wanted to be able to boat.

andy01
11-14-2006, 08:08 AM
That is cool that the world famous John West took you for a demo. He's a good guy and builds some very nice boats. His 26's is a nice piece. Congrats on your purchase and a good time to get your deposit in before the LA Boat Show, at least your place in line isn't to far out.
Post pics during the build, unless your boat looks like Sigemoaucks then don't bother.......... j/k
What power?
Andy

sigepmock
11-14-2006, 08:18 AM
That is cool that the world famous John West took you for a demo. He's a good guy and builds some very nice boats. His 26's is a nice piece. Congrats on your purchase and a good time to get your deposit in before the LA Boat Show, at least your place in line isn't to far out.
Post pics during the build, unless your boat looks like Sigemoaucks then don't bother.......... j/k
What power?
Andy
See how those jealous DCB owners get..... :crossx:
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the Ultra Family. That 26 is an amazing boat but more important John, Lea, and the rest of the crew at Ultra are top notch and a pleasure to work with. I know you're gonna be happy with the boat, the build process, and the great customer service after the boat is done.
Hopefully you get the chance to drag the boat cross crounty and make the Regatta next year....there's a prize for the fartherest distance traveled :)
Congrats again and if you ever need anything from the local Ultra owners don't be a fraid to ask,
Chris Mock

shippingguy
11-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Congrats on the purchase. I am glad you enjoyed the ride. The conditions were definitely not the best, but the 26 handled it very well. I am gald we got to run the boats and burn some fuel off. Welcome to the Ultra Family! The Regatta is a must if you can pull it off.

andy01
11-14-2006, 09:19 AM
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the Ultra Family. That 26 is an amazing boat but more important John, Lea, and the rest of the crew at Ultra are top notch and a pleasure to work with. I know you're gonna be happy with the boat, the build process, and the great customer service after the boat is done.
Chris Mock
And here I thought that was mud from the Rhino run on Saturday... turns out it is from having your nose up Johns ass..... what a homo! John should be more pickie about who he lets buy his boats, you are a good example of a Gayliner owner. But I guess everybody has rights now days...
Andy

andy01
11-14-2006, 09:19 AM
Congrats on the purchase. I am glad you enjoyed the ride. The conditions were definitely not the best, but the 26 handled it very well. I am gald we got to run the boats and burn some fuel off. Welcome to the Ultra Family! The Regatta is a must if you can pull it off.
Your boat looked great in the water up at Topac, very nice ride. Congrats!
Andy

shippingguy
11-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Your boat looked great in the water up at Topac, very nice ride. Congrats!
Andy
Thank you very much for the compliment. We are very happy with the boat. Congrats on your new purchase as well. Keep us posted on the build.

LAFD
11-14-2006, 09:29 AM
looks like john had the sticks throttled. what speed where you seeing.what motor package did you go with??

shippingguy
11-14-2006, 09:35 AM
looks like john had the sticks throttled. what speed where you seeing.what motor package did you go with??
I was in my boat during the test drive John gave and we were cruising side by side for a bit in the rough stuff. John has the 525 in that 26 Deck. I think they may be going with a 496HO in that new 26 Deck.

sigepmock
11-14-2006, 10:11 AM
And here I thought that was mud from the Rhino run on Saturday... turns out it is from having your nose up Johns ass..... what a homo! John should be more pickie about who he lets buy his boats, you are a good example of a Gayliner owner. But I guess everybody has rights now days...
Andy
Just because you haven't been happy with any of your boats and have to sell them for a HUGE loss every year.....don't take it out on us that made some good choices..... :crossx:
When you get that little dingy of yours....if it even exists.....you can talk...until then you're just a boatless $hittalker begging for rides :yuk: :crossx: :D

andy01
11-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Just because you haven't been happy with any of your boats and have to sell them for a HUGE loss every year.....don't take it out on us that made some good choices..... :crossx:
When you get that little dingy of yours....if it even exists.....you can talk...until then you're just a boatless $hittalker begging for rides :yuk: :crossx: :D
I have been very happy with my boats in the past, they all have had a different use but all still faster and comfortable then yours, Mr. Water Pusher. Loss? You crazy? I did okay on my Ultra, John helped me sell it. I did good on my DCB, and I lost my ass on my Spectre. But hey 1 out a 3 I can live with. Your boat I could not.... :yuk:
Begging for rides? Shit I have guys like you begging me to drive thier boats so they can learn how. When I get my dingy I will pass you everytime we are on the same body of water, not because I am trying to show off for you but rather I can't drive 52 mph I will fall a sleep. But for the time I will enjoy beating on you homos from the sidelines.. :rollside:
PS if your not using your clunker err boat this weekend can I? I need a boat for the weekend ...... :cry:
Man it is going to be a rough winter around this place.

MR HARLEY
11-14-2006, 10:34 AM
PS if your not using your clunker err boat this weekend can I? I need a boat for the weekend ......
That was funny! :D

TOBTEK
11-14-2006, 10:57 AM
That was funny! :D
hey Mr H...... was looking for you on Sat, No did find U.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-14-2006, 11:20 AM
First I want to thank John and his wife for taking time out of their weekend to meeting us on Sunday. We flew out from the East Coast this past weekend to take a test ride in a 26 Shadow. All I can say is wow!!!! Conditions were NOT ideal in his view and he apologized but from my perspective, what better way to see what the boat could do then run it with crappy conditions.
Wind was blowing with gusts up to 30 according to the radio. The water was basicallly a white cap machine with 2-4 foot waves when we were out for our ride.
Our conclusion: We are sold! :cool: Let's just say, I'll be owning a tunnel by next May!!!! fyi...I now have a taylor jet boat for sale;)
But don't take our word for it as I did manage to shoot a little video on 1 of our runs. Now the quality isn't great as I was using the Video feature on my little digital still camera and I couldn't hold it that still, but you still get the idea that the ride in these conditions is Impressive.
The only other boat we saw out was John's friend in a 27 Shadow.(That looked to handled the rough conditions even better). These conditions are rare back East on the Lake where we would use the boat so for us it was a good test to show how the boat would do if we were ever faced with bad conditions and still wanted to be able to boat.
Did you decide you buy the Ultra 26? As I mentioned when we were communicating about the 26, the 26 truely is a boat that handles and performs well, even with 496HO power.
John M

talbert450r
11-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Congrats and Welcome to the Ultra Family (No black socks required to join) :boxed:
............Mike 80MPH with the 496H.O. .....................?

shippingguy
11-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Congrats and Welcome to the Ultra Family (No black socks required to join) :boxed:
............Mike 80MPH with the 496H.O. .....................?
Yes John (Ultra26#1) has seen 80.8 GPS with his. He does have the CMI's on it so that made a difference. Before that I would say he was seeing a solid 78 all day long.

FilthyHaBIT
11-14-2006, 01:14 PM
It's cool to see another Ultra owner or soon to be Ultra owner on the east coast. Bring it on down to Lake Norman NC and will have our own little regatta. The west coast is just too far. Don't see very many cats on this lake and especially not as beautiful as the ones John builds. He actually flew out to North Carolina to personally deliver our boat an show us how to run it. How many boat builders would do that? The local and only DCB dealer on the east coast I believe wouldn't even return our calls. I guess when you walk in wearing flip flops and a tank top they figure you can't afford one of there overpriced pontoon boats. Well I'm glad they operate that way because I was glad to hand John W a check for one of his works of art. Wer got a great boat made a good friend and will be definatly buying another Ultra in the future.

Deano
11-14-2006, 02:02 PM
The local and only DCB dealer on the east coast I believe wouldn't even return our calls. I guess when you walk in wearing flip flops and a tank top they figure you can't afford one of there overpriced pontoon boats. .
soon as Dave gets word of this....he is going to fly his private jet over there and slap that guy upside the head with a bottle of dippity doo.

Deano
11-14-2006, 02:11 PM
welcome to the free world my friend. I was just kidding about the jet. I don't know if he has one.
As long as people will pay for "Art", the way I see it, Dave AND John will prospere. See you Saturday John.(my bro is looking at a deck) :)

phebus
11-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Yes John (Ultra26#1) has seen 80.8 GPS with his. He does have the CMI's on it so that made a difference. Before that I would say he was seeing a solid 78 all day long.
You're not talking about 496HO power here are you?

andy01
11-14-2006, 02:50 PM
The local and only DCB dealer on the east coast I believe wouldn't even return our calls. I guess when you walk in wearing flip flops and a tank top they figure you can't afford one of there overpriced pontoon boats. Well I'm glad they operate that way because I was glad to hand John W a check for one of his works of art. Wer got a great boat made a good friend and will be definatly buying another Ultra in the future.
So did you buy your Ultra from a dealer and John just delivered your boat to you? Or did you do your deal with John?
What type of pontoons does the dealer you look at offer? Never heard of a DCB Pontoon. Just DCB as in Daves Custom Boats.
Sorry I don't have that much experience with boat shopping, could you help me out?
Andy

Havasu1986
11-14-2006, 03:00 PM
So did you buy your Ultra from a dealer and John just delivered your boat to you? Or did you do your deal with John?
What type of pontoons does the dealer you look at offer? Never heard of a DCB Pontoon. Just DCB as in Daves Custom Boats.
Sorry I don't have that much experience with boat shopping, could you help me out?
Andy
Andy
I'm starting to think that the fire hydrant was for you, marking your territory and all. :crossx:
Bobby

Deano
11-14-2006, 03:18 PM
LMAO.... I went and looked at that 32 Skater, but passed because the tires were flat :)

andy01
11-14-2006, 04:18 PM
LMAO.... I went and looked at that 32 Skater, but passed because the tires were flat :)
Now you want to know something really funny, that trailer had one flat tire when we poled it out of storage. I didn't kick the tires on that though, I don't kick tires. I shop and buy. Now who ever forced you to buy your boat is who you should be mad at. :cry: :) j/k
Andy

unleashed
11-14-2006, 04:40 PM
I think were gonna need a new section called slow boats...that way you guys can all argue over there! :argue: :p
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Deano
11-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Now who ever forced you to buy your boat is who you should be mad at. :cry: :) j/k
Andy
:crossx: :yuk: Been a great boat for me. The sticks are getting bent though. Its for sale. I don't know what happened to the previous owner. I bought it from his dealer :cool:
drejustice....congrats on the new, or soon to be, Ultra deck. Very nice boats indeed.

shippingguy
11-14-2006, 05:24 PM
You're not talking about 496HO power here are you?
Yes w/CMI headers. I have actually driven this boat myself.

FilthyHaBIT
11-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Andy
Purchased directly from John....he wants to get more Ultras on the east coast so he came out to visit. There isn't very many west coast customs on the east coast. Has anyone ever asked John why he started Ultra.....cause when he went to DCB to buy a boat Dave didn't give him the time of day so he bought Ultra and started makin his own boats. Sorry I have a little chip on my shoulder about DCBs'....they are great boats"not pontoons". Extreme Marine... DCB's east coast dealer didn't pay much attention to some young people walkin into the showroom ready to write a check for one of there boats so they went elsewhere. I'm not talkin about alot of attention either....just a return phone call...they can't be that busy. I don't see how you can incease your market share and name recognition with service like that. DCB probably doesn't have to....guess why you really only see MTI's and Nortechs on the water out here and those pretty DCB's still sitting on the showroom floor.

andy01
11-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Purchased directly from John....he wants to get more Ultras on the east coast so he came out to visit. There isn't very many west coast customs on the east coast. Has anyone ever asked John why he started Ultra.....cause when he went to DCB to buy a boat Dave didn't give him the time of day so he bought Ultra and started makin his own boats. Sorry I have a little chip on my shoulder about DCBs'....they are great boats"not pontoons". Extreme Marine... DCB's east coast dealer didn't pay much attention to some young people walkin into the showroom ready to write a check for one of there boats so they went elsewhere. I'm not talkin about alot of attention either....just a return phone call...they can't be that busy. I don't see how you can incease your market share and name recognition with service like that. DCB probably doesn't have to....guess why you really only see MTI's and Nortechs on the water out here and those pretty DCB's still sitting on the showroom floor.
So John went to DCB to buy a boat and Dave wouldn't sell him one so he bought a entire boat company? If your going to post stuff like this you better do a little more home work then that.............
So you went to a "Dealer of DCB"? You didn't deal with the owner Dave like you did John West at Ultra? If you really wanted a DCB and had questions why wouldn't you call the builder/owner direct? I am sure Dave would have liked to heard from you about your experience at the dealer. I am sure he would have been more then happy to sell you a boat as well. I am sure someone with your weath of knowledge knows that not every business owner can watch every employee or dealer of thier product, if know one lets them know something is wrong they assume every thing is fine. I have recieved nothing but great service from DCB twice as far as a purchase goes. I don't think you are comparing apples to apples.
As for your Nortech and MTI comment, your telling me that people are buy 39 MTI's insteed of a Mach 26's? Or you were going to buy a Nortech but decided on a Ultra?
I by no means am degrading or saying something bad about Ultra, I just don't like it when people stereo type a builder. Good or Bad!
I know John West as a friend and have bought a boat from him as well, so before you let go of his nuts to post about what I don't know about him, I will say he is a great guy and I am sure you got a great boat. I just don't think it is fair to say "DCB's service sucks" with out having done business with Dave or Brian.
Congrats on your new boat, I don't think you could be happier then with what John put together for you, Ultra builds some very nice boats.
Andy

phebus
11-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Yes w/CMI headers. I have actually driven this boat myself.
Well, I'm not a hater, but I am a doubter. Here is your previous post:
I personally don't beleive 78 all day long with a stock 496HO powered 26' deck boat, and I'm also having trouble with 80.8 with a 496HO in the same boat, with CMI's.
I beleive it is a good bottom, but it sure seems out of line with what other 26' decks are running.

shippingguy
11-14-2006, 08:36 PM
I personally don't beleive 78 all day long with a stock 496HO powered 26' deck boat, and I'm also having trouble with 80.8 with a 496HO in the same boat, with CMI's.
I beleive it is a good bottom, but it sure seems out of line with what other 26' decks are running.
Doubt what you want, but I can tell you from personal experience that this deckboat has ran those numbers on GPS. I have driven the 26 and I have also ran with this boat side by side. Ultra 26 #1 is a personal friend of mine and we have run side by side at those speeds. I am not one to over exaggerate the #'s.

talbert450r
11-14-2006, 08:37 PM
If Shippingguy says it does 78MPH, It does 78MPH. He knows his Ultra's very well and has driven and ridden in a few in his day and he has no reason to lie about the top speed of someone elses boat. :rollside:

98 Vector 21
11-14-2006, 08:50 PM
I thought the trade Mags reported the 496Ho in a 26foot at 85+ :rolleyes:

Havasu1986
11-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Phebus...Wake up there talking about you.. :crossx:

andy01
11-14-2006, 10:39 PM
You must also remember with advancement comes other changes. The way they lay these boats up now is totally different. The weight alone could give you 5 mph easy.
Just something to thing about in saying "the bottom isn't that good", it might be a great bottom with the latest lay up or most advanced lay up technics to date.
Andy

Magic34
11-14-2006, 10:52 PM
I think were gonna need a new section called slow boats...that way you guys can all argue over there! :argue: :p
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:
Oh... I can be in that forum. Like less than 65 MPH right?

Magic34
11-14-2006, 10:56 PM
So John went to DCB to buy a boat and Dave wouldn't sell him one so he bought a entire boat company? If your going to post stuff like this you better do a little more home work then that.............
So you went to a "Dealer of DCB"? You didn't deal with the owner Dave like you did John West at Ultra? If you really wanted a DCB and had questions why wouldn't you call the builder/owner direct? I am sure Dave would have liked to heard from you about your experience at the dealer. I am sure he would have been more then happy to sell you a boat as well. I am sure someone with your weath of knowledge knows that not every business owner can watch every employee or dealer of thier product, if know one lets them know something is wrong they assume every thing is fine. I have recieved nothing but great service from DCB twice as far as a purchase goes. I don't think you are comparing apples to apples.
As for your Nortech and MTI comment, your telling me that people are buy 39 MTI's insteed of a Mach 26's? Or you were going to buy a Nortech but decided on a Ultra?
I by no means am degrading or saying something bad about Ultra, I just don't like it when people stereo type a builder. Good or Bad!
I know John West as a friend and have bought a boat from him as well, so before you let go of his nuts to post about what I don't know about him, I will say he is a great guy and I am sure you got a great boat. I just don't think it is fair to say "DCB's service sucks" with out having done business with Dave or Brian.
Congrats on your new boat, I don't think you could be happier then with what John put together for you, Ultra builds some very nice boats.
Charley
You guys have your screen names mixed up. Nice post though Charley. :D
John and the Ultra team build a great boat and I would not hesitate to buy one, and my dealing with DCB have been great. I mainly deal with Bryan, and he is a great guy, even though I have not bought a DCB.... yet. :crossx:

RiverOtter
11-15-2006, 04:09 AM
I want one :cool:

phebus
11-15-2006, 07:29 AM
If Shippingguy says it does 78MPH, It does 78MPH. He knows his Ultra's very well and has driven and ridden in a few in his day and he has no reason to lie about the top speed of someone elses boat. :rollside:
My only comment is, that I have a GPS, and I'm in Havasu full time.........So, prove it. Oh, and prove it in a fully rigged boat with some fuel in it......And, I'll be on here eating crow, and singing the boats praises.

sigepmock
11-15-2006, 07:43 AM
My only comment is, that I have a GPS, and I'm in Havasu full time.........So, prove it. Oh, and prove it in a fully rigged boat with some fuel in it......And, I'll be on here eating crow, and singing the boats praises.
I was sketical at first too until we ran down to steamboat with John's 26 and the 496 with CMI's. I have the GPS Speedo in our boat and we were cruising at 75mph and John was right there with us and actually pulling away a little, we weren't racing just taking a fast cruise down the lake but he was moving along pretty good. He had two people in the boat and a fair amount of fuel, he runs from Needles all the way down and back. I'm a believer.
Chris

BoatFloating
11-15-2006, 08:22 AM
You guys have your screen names mixed up. Nice post though Charley. :D
John and the Ultra team build a great boat and I would not hesitate to buy one, and my dealing with DCB have been great. I mainly deal with Bryan, and he is a great guy, even though I have not bought a DCB.... yet. :crossx:
I was thinking the same thing. I quess you get a script and training once you order a DCB. Here is the 1st rule. If any one says boo and they mention DCB jump in and defend the company to the death.... Man that Kool Aid is good stuff.
Here I come to save the day......... AnCharleydy

andy01
11-15-2006, 08:27 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I quess you get a script and training once you order a DCB. Here is the 1st rule. If any one says boo and they mention DCB jump in and defend the company to the death.... Man that Kool Aid is good stuff.
If he had said Eliminator I would have posted the very samething, or if it was he bought a DCB and said that about Ultra I would have said the samething. It is hard to beat a company up over bad showroom service when it is a dealership for the builder and not the builders showroom. DCB or any builder.
Andy

andy01
11-15-2006, 08:29 AM
Have you always been this upset with the boat you bought? You feel the need to make the rest of us or try to make the rest of us look bad for sticking up for a well built product? Sell your hopping joto wagon and buy something nice, Im sure with what you could sell your boat for you could cover t&l on a new ride..... :rollside: Now beat it and DON'T touch anybody on your way out...

BoatFloating
11-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Have you always been this upset with the boat you bought? You feel the need to make the rest of us or try to make the rest of us look bad for sticking up for a well built product? Sell your hopping joto wagon and buy something nice, Im sure with what you could sell your boat for you could cover t&l on a new ride..... :rollside: Now beat it and DON'T touch anybody on your way out...
Tra La la!!!!!!! Capt Underpants is here to save the day.............
One moment your posting a picture granted for only 2 minutes before you pussed out of a flaw on a DCB be and next you are so high on Dave's nut sack that you should get a razor so you can make some room for some other cult memebers.....
Flip, flop, flip, flop..... What's that it's Andy on the boards....... man do a search on you and DCB and you'll see what I mean....
:idea:

Havasu Carrera
11-15-2006, 09:29 AM
I met a guy last year at Havasu who's Carrera 257 496 mag Ho ran 76mph ALL day long Open bow to!! and BONE stock. Full cooler one passenger. I called him out and wanted to see under his hatch! He opened it and welp?? Stock intake exhaust etc etc. Not eaven one of those bling covers.

phebus
11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
I met a guy last year at Havasu who's Carrera 257 496 mag Ho ran 76mph ALL day long Open bow to!! and BONE stock. Full cooler one passenger. I called him out and wanted to see under his hatch! He opened it and welp?? Stock intake exhaust etc etc. Not eaven one of those bling covers.
Again, not being a hater, just a doubter (with a GPS), but I've got the same bottom, and same motor, but rather then an open bow, it's a deck. I don't think that the deck version costs me 10mph, but again, I'm here (Havasu) if anyone wants to verify their speed claims.

Cole Trickle
11-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Again, not being a hater, just a doubter (with a GPS), but I've got the same bottom, and same motor, but rather then an open bow, it's a deck. I don't think that the deck version costs me 10mph, but again, I'm here (Havasu) if anyone wants to verify their speed claims.
I think the weight difference is pretty big between your Deck and the 26 Shadow deck.
I don't know what a Carrera deck weighs but I have been told the 26 Deck is alot lighter than the 27 shadow.
Also Ultra is now starting to infuse there boats.(JW estimated that the boats are right at 33% lighter)
I don't think Ultra26#1's boat is infused.

shippingguy
11-15-2006, 11:37 AM
The exact boat I am talking about is fully rigged and I drove it the first weekend it ever saw water. I gave about 15 test rides in this boat loaded with fuel at the regatta. I put about 8-10 hours on the boat myself personally. The boat now has around 65 hours on it. I have no reasons to make up numbers. I will let the owner of the boat come on here and tell you himself if he chooses to. You may be eating crow and singing praises and if not I really could care less.

EmpirE231
11-15-2006, 11:57 AM
these 26 ultra shadows are nice looking boats!! anyone know the $$$$ numbers on it? what do they start at and how much with the H.O?
another question... I could be off.... but what makes this a deck over just a cat.... except for the carpeted step bow? and do they make these in a crawl through?
thanks.......

ULTRA26 # 1
11-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Honestly, I don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone regarding how fast my 26 actually has runs If we happen to see each other in Havasu or on the river, I have no problem making a run side by side with you. When shippingguy stated my boat GPS's 80.8 he exactly correct. I was running up river, into a headwind, myself and Son on board, a full cooler, over 60 gallons of fuel, fully rigged and spinning a Merc Labbed 28 at 5050 rpm's. I have no reason to hype a boat with an HO in it. It is what it is. The CMI headers increased my top speed, 4 mph. Fact is, it's hard for me to believe too.
Hope to see you out there as soon as Ultra finishes my upgrades.
John M

sigepmock
11-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Honestly, I don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone regarding how fast my 26 actually has runs If we happen to see each other in Havasu or on the river, I have no problem making a run side by side with you. When shippingguy stated my boat GPS's 80.8 he exactly correct. I was running up river, into a headwind, myself and Son on board, a full cooler, over 60 gallons of fuel, fully rigged and spinning a Merc Labbed 28 at 5050 rpm's. I have no reason to hype a boat with an HO in it. It is what it is. The CMI headers increased my top speed, 4 mph. Fact is, it's hard for me to believe too.
Hope to see you out there as soon as Ultra finishes my upgrades.
John M
Ough oh John...all that weight from the wind flaps and other upgrades are really going to slow you down... :crossx:
We better get you a Whipple Supercharger for that thing :D
We'll be back out for Thanks Giving and if the weather is nice we're gonna put the boat in and run up your direction.
Chris

andy01
11-15-2006, 02:22 PM
We'll be back out for Thanks Giving and if the weather is nice we're gonna put the boat in and run up your direction.
Chris
I thought you guys were done for the season and took your shit home? If your going to be out let me know.....

FilthyHaBIT
11-15-2006, 02:30 PM
these 26 ultra shadows are nice looking boats!! anyone know the $$$$ numbers on it? what do they start at and how much with the H.O?
another question... I could be off.... but what makes this a deck over just a cat.... except for the carpeted step bow? and do they make these in a crawl through?
thanks.......
27 shadow $130 decked w/ merc 525, gauges, probably some interior upgrades. The 27 shadow IS a deck boat.....thats what i've told the insurance man. Believe me...you want them to think it's a deck boat when they plug your make and model into their computer to give you a quote. Ohhhh thats right 27 Shadow denied due to hull type and speed. Wish it showed up as a 27 Shadow DECK boat.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Ough oh John...all that weight from the wind flaps and other upgrades are really going to slow you down... :crossx:
We better get you a Whipple Supercharger for that thing :D
Chris
Chris,
How ya doin' Not sure why there's all of the interest in how fast my boat does or doesn't go. With an HO, it's obviously not a racer. Those that I have run with know that I'm not making anything up and I know that I have not made anything up. It's really all that matters BTW Your little girl is sure a doll. I saw a pic that was recently posted. What a cutie.
Funny you mention a Whipple. I have givin it a great deal of thought and have concluded that without going to forged pistons, a Whipple is out of the question. I'm going to wait until my warranty is up and until the end of next season, before considering a power upgrade. Not sure how long John will have the boat as he is making some changes other than the flaps and painted rubrail. Hope you and the family have a good time over the holiday. I may have the boat back for the Dec 2nd event in Havasu. We'll have to see.
John M

sigepmock
11-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Chris,
How ya doin' Not sure why there's all of the interest in how fast my boat does or doesn't go. With an HO, it's obviously not a racer. Those that I have run with know that I'm not making anything up and I know that I have not made anything up. It's really all that matters BTW Your little girl is sure a doll. I saw a pic that was recently posted. What a cutie.
Funny you mention a Whipple. I have givin it a great deal of thought and have concluded that without going to forged pistons, a Whipple is out of the question. I'm going to wait until my warranty is up and until the end of next season, before considering a power upgrade. Not sure how long John will have the boat as he is making some changes other than the flaps and painted rubrail. Hope you and the family have a good time over the holiday. I may have the boat back for the Dec 2nd event in Havasu. We'll have to see.
John M
I think people are just amazed at the number and have a hard time believing it....JW has a real winner on his hands. I think your boat with a 496 HO is a perfect combination of speed, comfort, and affordability. As soon as more of them are on the water poeple will start to believe...I don't think it's a dig at all just hard for some to believe.
Thanks for the compliments....the baby takes after her mother...thank god :crossx:
When I was at Whipple they had a 496HO with their SC that had like 300 hours of hard Dyno time and was still running strong :) It's a big jump and hard on the drive.....plus with another 15 to 20 MPH and you'd have to get a pilot's license :crossx:
Chris

sigepmock
11-15-2006, 03:10 PM
I thought you guys were done for the season and took your shit home? If your going to be out let me know.....
We just made the decision to head to Havasu for T-day instead of Glamis. We can ride the bikes and take the boat out. Coming in Wed. night or Thursday morning and staying till Sunday.
I may need to borrow a tow vehicle to launch the boat if we decide to put it on the water.....I don't want to try it with the moho and I'm not gonna try it with the Rhino :crossx:
Chris

phebus
11-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Chris, you're right on with your post. It's not that I don't beleive the posts, it's just that I have a hard time beleiving that a 26' deckboat with a stock 496HO, can go over 78mph all day long, and I have never heard of a 496HO spinning a 28P prop over 5000rpm.
If the boat does do that (and I'm not doubting your word), it's an amazing bottom, and layup.
Congratulations

shippingguy
11-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Chris, you're right on with your post. It's not that I don't beleive the posts, it's just that I have a hard time beleiving that a 26' deckboat with a stock 496HO, can go over 78mph all day long, and I have never heard of a 496HO spinning a 28P prop over 5000rpm.
If the boat does do that (and I'm not doubting your word), it's an amazing bottom, and layup.
Congratulations
It is a MERC Labbed 28 which will spin about the same as a stock 26 believe it or not. Bigger prop more speed. The MERC Labbed props are way different than just labbing a standard prop. The bottom is a good one and it is the same bottom as the 27, but the deck is alot lighter.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Congratulations
Phebus,
The boat has a great bottom, no doubt. Part of the increase in speed came from the CMI's and the other part came from the prop. I happened to be driving by Teague and deceided to stop and look around. One of Teague's sales reps, Dino, told me that I could spin a Merc Labbed 28 the same rpm as a stock 26. From past experiance, I was confident that everyone at Teague, knew their stuff, so I spent the $900 on a prop. (crazy I know). Prior to installing the headers, the 28 was too much prop. this was not the case after the CMI install. If you do the math, a 28 pitch prop, 1.5 gears in the drive, 5050 rpms at 10% slip, = slighly over 80. Running into a stong headwind, also helped.
I agree that Chris's post was spot on. Hopefully, we get the chance to meet early next season.
John M

phebus
11-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Phebus,
I agree that Chris's post was spot on. Hopefully, we get the chance to meet early next season.
John M
Wait, this season isn't over yet :)
Definately looking forward to meeting up,
Rick

ULTRA26 # 1
11-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Wait, this season isn't over yet :)
Definately looking forward to meeting up,
Rick
Rick,
I know this season isn't over. I just don't have a boat and not sure when I will be getting it back from Ultra. Hopefully soon enough for one more Havasu trip.
John

drejustice
11-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Woot, signed contract and deal/check sent out today!!! :cool:
I went with the 496Ho package for insurance reasons.
Full coverage w/500.00 deductible with 300K liability for 56.42 per month :)
This was deal was made even better when after driving back to Vegas from our test ride at Havasu, the craps table gods were good to us. How good? Good enough to win our down payment!!!
So our long weekend trip out West was Success.
1) Got to see the Rolling Stones from the 5th row!:crossx:
2) Got to party hard with my wife:cool:
3) Got a test ride in a sweet boat
4) Won Money
5) Best of all, used said winnings to pay initial payment of above
mentioned boat.
I feel like Xmas came early for me this year :p
Only part that sux is i'm 3000 miles away so i won't be able to drop in and see how things are going. I will say that working with John up to this point and the ease of communication are factors i'm counting on for making this long distance build come out smooth and to my expectations.

shippingguy
11-16-2006, 01:37 PM
This was deal was made even better when after driving back to Vegas from our test ride at Havasu, the craps table gods were good to us. How good? Good enough to win our down payment!!!
4) Won Money
mentioned boat.
Only part that sux is i'm 3000 miles away so i won't be able to drop in and see how things are going. I will say that working with John up to this point and the ease of communication are factors i'm counting on for making this long distance build come out smooth and to my expectations.
Congratulations. Things seem to be going very well. Glad you had a safe trip back home as well. Keep us posted on the build.

MrsSigEpMock
11-16-2006, 03:24 PM
The exact boat I am talking about is fully rigged and I drove it the first weekend it ever saw water. I gave about 15 test rides in this boat loaded with fuel at the regatta. I put about 8-10 hours on the boat myself personally. The boat now has around 65 hours on it. I have no reasons to make up numbers. I will let the owner of the boat come on here and tell you himself if he chooses to. You may be eating crow and singing praises and if not I really could care less.
We were there that weekend too and on Friday in crappy conditions John's 26 was right next to us, with JW driving, while we were riding in Dan's 27. And if you know how Dan drives.... Well, I am also a believer (actually a knower). John's 26 hauls ars. and yes they are lighter than the 27s.
Just a chick's .02 :rollside:

dicudmore
11-16-2006, 07:15 PM
We were there that weekend too and on Friday in crappy conditions John's 26 was right next to us, with JW driving, while we were riding in Dan's 27. And if you know how Dan drives.... Well, I am also a believer (actually a knower). John's 26 hauls ars. and yes they are lighter than the 27s.
Just a chick's .02 :rollside:
what is this about Dan's driving??
I was just trying to show you what the boat was capable of--in perfect test conditions :wink:

dicudmore
11-16-2006, 07:16 PM
4) Won Money
mentioned boat.
Congratulations :D
Good people over at Ultra, and they put out a VERY nice boat :D

Kilrtoy
11-17-2006, 12:18 AM
while we were riding in Dan's 27. And if you know how Dan drives.... e:
I thought he had no clue how to drive that is why he lost a few weeks back
:boxed:

dicudmore
11-17-2006, 09:43 AM
yeah, this is my first boat--I've never driven a boat before :220v:

vmjtc3
11-17-2006, 01:38 PM
I think some where there is a 100+mph gps recall photo from a certain white boat with twin 300's on it. :idea: And if I didnt think Dan could drive a boat my 14 year old son would not have been in the back seat at the time :cool:
I dont know who is faster but at 100+ does it realy matter :D

andy01
11-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Yes, at 120 yes, at 150 yes. It all depends on whos field your playing on....... :)

Kilrtoy
11-17-2006, 04:23 PM
I think some where there is a 100+mph gps recall photo from a certain white boat with twin 300's on it. :idea: And if I didnt think Dan could drive a boat my 14 year old son would not have been in the back seat at the time :cool:
It matters at 5MPH
it matters as soon as you get behind the wheel and turn the key

Kilrtoy
11-17-2006, 04:26 PM
It's cool to see another Ultra owner or soon to be Ultra owner on the east coast. Bring it on down to Lake Norman NC and will have our own little regatta. The west coast is just too far. Don't see very many cats on this lake and especially not as beautiful as the ones John builds. He actually flew out to North Carolina to personally deliver our boat an show us how to run it. How many boat builders would do that? The local and only DCB dealer on the east coast I believe wouldn't even return our calls. I guess when you walk in wearing flip flops and a tank top they figure you can't afford one of there overpriced pontoon boats. Well I'm glad they operate that way because I was glad to hand John W a check for one of his works of art. Wer got a great boat made a good friend and will be definatly buying another Ultra in the future.
YEAH and I went to a Ultra shop and they tried and sell me all kinds of extra stuff, that was standard on the boat, they tried to charge me 3500 for a stock paint job, they tried to sell me a prop saying it was not included..
So whats your point here...
OH BY THE WAY, JW FINALLY GOT WISE TO THESE ASSHOLES AND SHIT CANNED THEM, THEY ARE IN SAN FERNANDO AND STILL PULLING THE SAME CRAP....
So does that mean ULTRA SUCK..... Not by any means.... all it means is the DEALER SUCK

ULTRA26 # 1
11-18-2006, 08:06 PM
4) Won Money
mentioned boat.
Congratulations on the new boat. The 26 Deck is a nice boat.
John M

MR HARLEY
11-19-2006, 06:55 PM
I dont know who is faster but at 100+ does it realy matter
YES.

dicudmore
11-20-2006, 10:28 AM
YES.
:220v: :argue: :p

MR HARLEY
11-20-2006, 10:36 AM
:220v: :argue: :p
Where were you the whole weekend? :crossx:

dicudmore
11-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Where were you the whole weekend? :crossx:
haulin' azz :cool:
saturday down at the springs then steamboat for a while.
sunday topock, channel, springs etc.

Brian
11-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Nice to see some Ultra Cats running good. Always been one of my favorite single engine cats and I often think I should have gone that way instead of the slug Magic. Good stuff!
:cool: