PDA

View Full Version : what winter mods to do

Natedog
11-14-2006, 09:49 AM
hey there that i would ask you guys how to spend some money,looking to add a little something to the boat this winter.I have a 21 open bow commander with a stock 454.It only has a electronic egnition,edelbock rpm manifold,holly 750 vac sec carb and a je pump with a loader.I don't know if i should add some heads,cam or build the pump,add a diverter and droop.I know this thing will always be a cruiser so i am thinking of just adding the diverter and leaving the motor as is.Any ideas are welcome thanks.

roostwear
11-14-2006, 10:10 AM
If it's just a cruiser, I'd just get the diverter and enjoy. If you want a little more speed, the first thing that pops out is the carb. Ditch the vac secondary carb and put on a mechanical secondary Holley. You should feel it with better throttle resonse, and (hopefully) more top end. You would also more than likely feel it in your pocket, as the new carb will use more fuel and you'll probably have your foot in it more.
So, what do you REALLY want to get out of it?

El Prosecutor
11-14-2006, 11:27 AM
hey there that i would ask you guys how to spend some money,looking to add a little something to the boat this winter.I have a 21 open bow commander with a stock 454.It only has a electronic egnition,edelbock rpm manifold,holly 750 vac sec carb and a je pump with a loader.I don't know if i should add some heads,cam or build the pump,add a diverter and droop.I know this thing will always be a cruiser so i am thinking of just adding the diverter and leaving the motor as is.Any ideas are welcome thanks.
Natedog, try the diverter first. There is no question in my mind it is the best bang for the buck on a jet boat. You will probably still feel the more power bug eventually but try it first, it just might get you where you want to be.
BTW - are you related to N8Dawg?

Natedog
11-14-2006, 01:25 PM
thanks the diverter was what i was thinking i would love more power and speed but for the amount it is going to cost it doesn't pan out to go another 5 to 10 miles an hour.I am running about 50-53 right which is good with no motor problems at all.I have a feeling once i start taken the motor apart i will constitly be messing with it and tuning it,I just want to run all day with no problems and no n8tdog is another user.Thanks for the input

SmokinLowriderSS
11-14-2006, 04:18 PM
IMO, if you carefully select parts, you can fairly easilly approach 500HP and have a turnkey runner that does not require weekly tuning or other "babying". Yes, it will cost money, but also does not have to break the bank. IMO, that is about a $5000 to $6000 build on a 454, perhaps less since you already have a good manifold and depending on what shape the ignition is in, probably just fine.
What was said about the carb change is about right. The Mech seccondary will likely net a slight performance gain, at a cost in fuel.
Yes, the diverter is hands down the most valuable mod to a jet IMO.

TRG
11-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Build A Fukkin Boat!

IMPATIENT 1
11-14-2006, 06:44 PM
i'd get a shoe and ride plate kit, after the divertors bought of course :) feed the pump more and add more hp, good way to get another 5-7mph outta the boat!

watergun4u
11-14-2006, 11:10 PM
a friend of mine had a boat just like yours, they are a very bow heavy boat, we did some changes to the motor, and got little to no gain, so we put a droop snoot, and a 7 degree wedge(up ) in it and a place diverter and gained 7 to 10 mph,and about 600rpm,s, and the boat was much better out of the hole as well as top end, so thats what i would do if i where you!!!!!!! :cool:

DelawareDave
11-15-2006, 02:34 AM
Save the money you would spend on parts to buy more beer and gas! :)

killerbeez
11-15-2006, 04:25 AM
I have pretty much the same boat except with the diverter.I think you should get the diverter and then use the boat for what you specifically bought it for,just a cruiser.