PDA

View Full Version : What a crock of sh*t this is

LAND_LOVER69
11-14-2006, 01:24 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/14/toy.jesus.ap/index.html

RiverDave
11-14-2006, 02:06 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/14/toy.jesus.ap/index.html
I'm curious as to how you would react if you had kids, and one day you came home to find them playing with a talking Koran or budha? What if that talking toy said "The only way you'll receive 50 virgins in the after life is to be born again into the muslim religion!" You'd be ok with that?
In other words.. tell me why it's a crock of shit? Becuase it was the christian religion toys that weren't accepted? Or becuase the toys were religious in nature.
Seriously I'd like to hear the logic behind this?
RD

Debbolas
11-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Toys for Tots is a great organization!!
and it's easy....boy = fire truck or boat, girl = barbie or science set ;)

Run_em_Hard
11-14-2006, 02:14 PM
I hate to say it but I agree with turning them down...what Debbolas said hits it prefectly.

LAND_LOVER69
11-14-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm curious as to how you would react if you had kids, and one day you came home to find them playing with a talking Koran or budha? What if that talking toy said "The only way you'll receive 50 virgins in the after life is to be born again into the muslim religion!" You'd be ok with that?
In other words.. tell me why it's a crock of shit? Becuase it was the christian religion toys that weren't accepted? Or becuase the toys were religious in nature.
Seriously I'd like to hear the logic behind this?
RD
""The idea was for them to be three-dimensional teaching tools for kids," La Roe said. "I believe as a churchgoing person, anyone can benefit from hearing the words of the Bible.""
No logic just my personal opinion. If I found my child playing with a Koran or budah I would simply send it back to the Marines and say thanks but no thanks. I certainly wouldn't be offended because someone was trying to send a message to kids.

SB
11-14-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm a Christian but, that "toy" doesn't sound like much fun.
Like one of those educational presents from a crazy aunt that "makes learning fun."

socalmoney
11-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Toys for Tots is a great organization!!
and it's easy....boy = fire truck or boat, girl = barbie or science set ;)
Debbolas, aren't you giving our young girls a mixed message with Barbies and Science sets. You are telling them they can be a Mommy and a Scientist at the same time, when it is clear that they must choose to be one or the other.

Debbolas
11-14-2006, 02:23 PM
""The idea was for them to be three-dimensional teaching tools for kids," La Roe said. "I believe as a churchgoing person, anyone can benefit from hearing the words of the Bible.""
No logic just my personal opinion. If I found my child playing with a Koran or budah I would simply send it back to the Marines and say thanks but no thanks. I certainly wouldn't be offended because someone was trying to send a message to kids.
I work with these kids all day and believe me all they want is a decent toy to play with.
If you want to spread a message, do it a different way.
I realise it's Christmas, but the kids just want a toy. My family participates in the Target toy give away. Each elementary school (secretly) gives the names to Target, then the boy scouts show up to help the kids shop, at 6am before the store opens. You get every extreme, from kids buying for everyone in their family BUT them, to the kid that already has everything and nothing will make him happy (how did he get on the list :rolleyes: )

Her454
11-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Isn't that basically what they did? They didnt accept it, as you wouldn't either. I have my own beliefs and stand by them and I dont want someone else trying to three-dimensionally tempt me with a toy LOL.
When I read this my first thought wasn't even about religion, it was "I wouldn't have wanted to play with a Jesus doll when I was a kid". And thats coming from a Bible Thumper, just ask Kilr. ;)
Debbolas, aren't you giving our young girls a mixed message with Barbies and Science sets. You are telling them they can be a Mommy and a Scientist at the same time, when it is clear that they must choose to be one or the other.
PLEASE tell me you are joking..................... :rolleyes:

Debbolas
11-14-2006, 02:30 PM
He HAS to be. joking............right? :rolleyes:

LAND_LOVER69
11-14-2006, 02:31 PM
I work with these kids all day and believe me all they want is a decent toy to play with.
If you want to spread a message, do it a different way.
I realise it's Christmas, but the kids just want a toy. My family participates in the Target toy give away. Each elementary school (secretly) gives the names to Target, then the boy scouts show up to help the kids shop, at 6am before the store opens. You get every extreme, from kids buying for everyone in their family BUT them, to the kid that already has everything and nothing will make him happy (how did he get on the list :rolleyes: )
I like that kind of idea as well as Toys for Tots. But I think the Marines turned the doll away for all the wrong reasons. If someone is celebrating Christmas then why should they get offended by a Jesus doll? I completely understand where everybody is coming from, Christmas is all about toys when it comes to the kids, and family getting together for the adults.

Her454
11-14-2006, 02:33 PM
But I think the Marines turned the doll away for all the wrong reasons. If someone is celebrating Christmas then why should they get offended by a Jesus doll
Thats the point! Not everyone celebrates Christmas for the same reason.....so why not let kids be kids and enjoy the holidays without drawing lines in the sand so to speak.

socalmoney
11-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Yes, I forgot the smilies again.

Debbolas
11-14-2006, 02:36 PM
I like that kind of idea as well as Toys for Tots. But I think the Marines turned the doll away for all the wrong reasons. If someone is celebrating Christmas then why should they get offended by a Jesus doll? I completely understand where everybody is coming from, Christmas is all about toys when it comes to the kids, and family getting together for the adults.
Are you old enough to have watched the Waltons? One of their Christmas specials was very good. The Walton children were poor. (but happy) and if they walked in the snow down the mountain to the church and recited a bible verse the church lady would give them a toy. They marched down there and I still remember Mary Ellens bible verse was "Jesus wept" and they get their presents, they open them and the toys are all broken and beat up. The kids were so disapointed.
If you are truely interested in bringing the word of god to children, there are better ways to do it. I realise it's Christmas, but they are little kids, they just want a toy. Their parents can't provide for them. This isn't the way to spread the word. I can just see their disapointed faces, and they would probably be very angry.
You can probably think of a better way..........

Her454
11-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Yes, I forgot the smilies again.
That could easily get you tarred and feathered around here. :rollside:

Her454
11-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Are you old enough to have watched the Waltons? One of their Christmas specials was very good. The Walton children were poor. (but happy) and if they walked in the snow down the mountain to the church and recited a bible verse the church lady would give them a toy. They marched down there and I still remember Mary Ellens bible verse was "Jesus wept" and they get their presents, they open them and the toys are all broken and beat up. The kids were so disapointed.
If you are truely interested in bringing the word of god to children, there are better ways to do it. I realise it's Christmas, but they are little kids, they just want a toy. Their parents can't provide for them. This isn't the way to spread the word. I can just see their disapointed faces, and they would probably be very angry.
WOW, I remember that episode. Very well said Deb.

socalmoney
11-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Perhaps this would be a more fun Jesus to play with.
http://www.preisvergleich.org/pimages/Actionfigur-Buddy-Jesus_41__H-691850_20.jpg
This is an interesting report on 20/20 on working Moms. Not to stir the pot but it is something we should be looking at as a nation.
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2649809

LAND_LOVER69
11-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Everyone has a right to their own opinion and I appreciate yours. Maybe mine would be different if I indeed had children but I don't. I never intended to upset anyone I just wanted to express my opinion and wanted to hear others as well.

Chromegorilla
11-14-2006, 03:04 PM
I got no problem with the marines turning down the offer.
Amen to that! :)

little rowe boat
11-14-2006, 03:09 PM
I got no problem with the marines turning down the offer.
Amen to that! :)
I do, after all according to the Marine Corps anthem the streets of heaven are protected by The United States Marines. :cool:

Chromegorilla
11-14-2006, 03:12 PM
This is an interesting report on 20/20 on working Moms. Not to stir the pot but it is something we should be looking at as a nation.
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2649809
What the hell does this have to do with the toys for tots story? Just wondering?

socalmoney
11-14-2006, 03:19 PM
What the hell does this have to do with the toys for tots story? Just wondering?
I made a sarcastic remark about girls receiving Barbies and Science Kits as gifts. See above. Not sure if I could get tared and feathered for making a joke about women in the work place or the fact that I did not use smilies in my post. I refuse to do so by the way.

Her454
11-14-2006, 03:23 PM
I made a sarcastic remark about girls receiving Barbies and Science Kits as gifts. See above. Not sure if I could get tared and feathered for making a joke about women in the work place or the fact that I did not use smilies in my post. I refuse to do so by the way.
I meant for not using smilies. I'm not even going to acknowledge the women in the workplace dealio. :rolleyes:

Sleek-Jet
11-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Everyone has a right to their own opinion and I appreciate yours. Maybe mine would be different if I indeed had children but I don't. I never intended to upset anyone I just wanted to express my opinion and wanted to hear others as well.
Yeah you did... otherwise you wouldn't have titled the thread the way you did... pot stirrers are well appreciated around here... just don't go to far with it one day... :idea:
I agree with the Marines by the way... God has no place in Christmas... :D

mbrown2
11-14-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm a Christian but, that "toy" doesn't sound like much fun.
That's an understatement :)

socalmoney
11-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I meant for not using smilies. I'm not even going to acknowledge the women in the workplace dealio. :rolleyes:
Please read all my posts with sarcastic tone. I am here to entertain and I promise to make all my posts as interesting as possible, that is my pledge to you and all the ***boat community.
When I am serious, I will say so. It won't happen often.

Her454
11-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Please read all my posts with sarcastic tone. I am here to entertain and I promise to make all my posts as interesting as possible, that is my pledge to you and all the ***boat community.
When I am serious, I will say so. It won't happen often.
Sarcastic is my middle name. :rolleyes:

clownpuncher
11-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Sarcastic is my middle name. :rolleyes:
So you wouldn't mind if I said "why are women asking for BBQ'd turkey advice when everyone knows that BBQ'ing is a mans job" :) :p

clownpuncher
11-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Tell me when to duck

LAND_LOVER69
11-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Yeah you did... otherwise you wouldn't have titled the thread the way you did... pot stirrers are well appreciated around here... just don't go to far with it one day... :idea:
I agree with the Marines by the way... God has no place in Christmas... :D
Consider the title changed. :rollside:

Her454
11-14-2006, 04:19 PM
So you wouldn't mind if I said "why are women asking for BBQ'd turkey advice when everyone knows that BBQ'ing is a mans job" :) :p
I'd say "When will dinner be ready"? :crossx: :rollside:
Tell me when to duck
Yea right, you should know me better than that. I like the sneak attack.

beerjet
11-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Can I get a bigger copy of this------->http://www.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar15180_2.gif:D

unleashed
11-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Whats the big deal...this could be a fun toy for sures. Wheres everyones imagination. When I was a kid I used toy figures to create fun scenes granted mine were with ken and Barbie but....With Jesus theres all kinds of fun to be had...you can raise yourself from the dead, turn a fish and loaf of bread into a feast for 1000's, part the red sea, Beat the shiat our of Judest...the amounts of fun are endless...Geeezzzzz no imagination! Kids are spoiled!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
11-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Whats the big deal...this could be a fun toy for sures. Wheres everyones imagination. When I was a kid I used toy figures to create fun scenes granted mine were with ken and Barbie but....With Jesus theres all kinds of fun to be had...you can raise yourself from the dead, turn a fish and loaf of bread into a feast for 1000's, part the red sea, Beat the shiat our of Judest...the amounts of fun are endless...Geeezzzzz no imagination! Kids are spoiled!
Deano
Moses was a tad before good 'ole JC and the boys... he parted the red sea... :idea: JC walked on water though... so he has that going for him...

unleashed
11-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Moses was a tad before good 'ole JC and the boys... he parted the red sea... :idea: JC walked on water though... so he has that going for him...
I figured if Moses could pull it off so could Jesus...hey there goes my imaginatino again! :)
Deano

socalmoney
11-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Could I get a bigger copy of this ---------->http://www.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar12896_5.gif

Debbolas
11-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Dude, I'm not upset :)
I thought I was pretty diplomatic about my side :D
and to upset me, you'd have to insult my boat :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
or.......call Topless an identity w h o r e :crossx: :crossx: or tell Traci she is a witch :D
:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-14-2006, 05:38 PM
what about an ak-47 and a rambo knife for christmas :crossx:

deltaAce
11-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Well thats 4000 less toys for poor American kids. Maybe they should send them (talking Jesus dolls)to the poor Iraq kids & help fight terrorism at the roots. Or they can dress Jesus in G.I. Joe clothes & air drop them into Syria.

ECeptor
11-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Some dirt-poor kid is excited opens up his present from the Marines and it's a Jesus doll. Tell me one kid in the situation who wouldn't think that was the suckiest gift ever.
Good for the Marines for recognizing that and looking out for the kids.

little rowe boat
11-14-2006, 07:05 PM
Some dirt-poor kid is excited opens up his present from the Marines and it's a Jesus doll. Tell me one kid in the situation who wouldn't think that was the suckiest gift ever.
Good for the Marines for recognizing that and looking out for the kids.
A kid that otherwise wouldn't be getting anything.

beerjet
11-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Could I get a bigger copy of this ---------->http://www.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar12896_5.gif
Check your e-mail.:D

ECeptor
11-14-2006, 07:20 PM
A kid that otherwise wouldn't be getting anything.
You mean it's a Jesus doll or nothing? Or you mean a gift from the Marines or nothing?

little rowe boat
11-14-2006, 07:23 PM
You mean it's a Jesus doll or nothing? Or you mean a gift from the Marines or nothing?
Does it matter? Toys for tots is typically for needy children, that will not have any Christmas gifts. When a child has gone without, believe me they appreciate anything they can play with.

ECeptor
11-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Does it matter? Toys for tots is typically for needy children, that will not have any Christmas gifts. When a child has gone without, believe me they appreciate anything they can play with.
To me, yeah it does matter. If someone is going to take the time to do a "charitable" act then it need to be just that - no one that is self serving like the promotion of ones personal belief. That same organization could have spent the money on gift that would have put a huge smile on the kids faces and not be something they would be disappointed in.
Trust me, I'm not expert on this. But have worked a few Christmas' at the childrens home it make you want to do whatever it takes just to give those kids a few moments where they can feel truly like a kid and not like the weight of the world is on their shoulders.

Mandelon
11-14-2006, 07:54 PM
What do you want to bet that Plastic Jesus was made in China....... :rolleyes:

vmjtc3
11-14-2006, 07:59 PM
I dont get it. The only way to get toy's from toy's for tot's is to put in for them right? And if you are putting in for toy's for Christmas then you must belive in God,right? So why would Jew's or rag head's put in to get toys for Christmas. That just dont add up. :220v:

deltaAce
11-14-2006, 08:05 PM
I dont get it. The only way to get toy's from toy's for tot's is to put in for them right? And if you are putting in for toy's for Christmas then you must belive in God,right? So why would Jew's or rag head's put in to get toys for Christmas. That just dont add up. :220v:
Very good observation, I agree. It doesn't add up & it never will, when people try to ban Christianity from America.

ECeptor
11-14-2006, 08:22 PM
So I guess that means both of you good christians will be buying your kids only jesus dolls and other christian related gifts for christmans, right? If not, then you are a hypocrite.

vmjtc3
11-14-2006, 08:26 PM
So I guess that means both of you good christians will be buying your kids only jesus dolls and other christian related gifts for christmans, right? If not, then you are a hypocrite.
Ummm.....no I never claimed to be a good christian or any kind of christian.
I was simply saying there reasoning does not hold water. And what would buying something other than Jesus doll's have to do with being a hypocrite.
:rolleyes:

ECeptor
11-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Ummm.....no I never claimed to be a good christian or any kind of christian.
I was simply saying there reasoning does not hold water. And what would buying something other than Jesus doll's have to do with being a hypocrite.
:rolleyes:
Buying something for someone else's kid that you would buy for your own kid makes one a hypocrite.
The point the Marines were trying to make is Toys for Tots is about kids in need. It is not about religion. Get it yet? If not, visit your local Marines and maybe they can explain it to you.

vmjtc3
11-14-2006, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=ECeptor]Buying something for someone else's kid that you would buy for your own kid makes one a hypocrite.
I dont get it how does buying something for someone elses kid that I would buy my own kid a make me a hypocrite?

vmjtc3
11-14-2006, 08:51 PM
And again ALL I was saying was the argument that they might get sent to a Jew or a rag head does not hold water. nothing more nothing less.

WUTWZAT
11-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Deano
Oh c'mon guys you know if ole JC was around he'd be sportin a lifted Hummer on 24's towing his long travel rhino behind it with Unleashed stickers on the back window. :crossx: Jason

Tom Brown
11-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Maybe the Marines rejected the dolls because the only phrase the dolls can say is, "Serve Satan." :idea:

Kilrtoy
11-14-2006, 10:56 PM
And thats coming from a Bible Thumper, just ask Kilr. ;)
..... :rolleyes:
Dont get me started....
Once I find out where all these 3 day adventist and Jehovah Witness live
Im gonna start door knocking them at my time
4 In the morning explaining the law of ALCOHOL to them :idea:

bignet
11-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Dont get me started....
Miguel, Coors Light doesn't count as alcohol! Just kidding doggy, c'mon I'm just stirring the pot! :crossx:
bignet

SHOTKALLIN
11-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Christmas is not the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. It is a day when a fat man in a red suit flys around the world in a sleigh with reindeer giving toys to all the kids everywhere. Don't get confussed here.

SHOTKALLIN
11-14-2006, 11:15 PM
I would rather give my daughter a Bratz doll so she can learn to dress like a stripper at age 6. http://www.bratz.com/

Tom Brown
11-14-2006, 11:24 PM
I wonder if that Jesus doll is anatomically correct. :idea:

Chromegorilla
11-15-2006, 03:18 AM
I think the issue is when TFT doles out the toys, all they know is boy or girl. The concern is they don't wanna hand out a Jesus doll to a Jewish kid, muslim kid, hindi or any other religion....

vmjtc3
11-15-2006, 05:37 AM
I think the issue is when TFT doles out the toys, all they know is boy or girl. The concern is they don't wanna hand out a Jesus doll to a Jewish kid, muslim kid, hindi or any other religion....
I dont think Jew's muslims or hindu's are going to be lining up on CHRISTMAS,
a holiday none of them celebrate, to get there kids toy's of any kind.

deltaAce
11-15-2006, 09:53 AM
The concern is they don't wanna hand out a Jesus doll to a Jewish kid, muslim kid, hindi or any other religion....
There aren't any poor Jewish kids, muslim kid, hindi etc. Most of them work in the family business, either in advertising-media, 7-11 store or restaurant business. The 4000 poor little white, black or Hispanic kids would have loved an additional toy, whether it was a stupid purple dinosuar or a talking doll.

Her454
11-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Dont get me started....
LMAO..... a few weekends ago I was out washing the car in the driveway and a couple walked up...straight out of church. They handed me a pamphlet and asked me if I would take the time to read it...... My sister can't resist the chance to offer them the COORS LITE SHE HAS IN HER HAND. You should have seen the look on their faces.
I wanted to crawl in a hole but it was funny.

Her454
11-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Christmas is not the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. It is a day when a fat man in a red suit flys around the world in a sleigh with reindeer giving toys to all the kids everywhere. Don't get confussed here.
Reindeer fly? I was confused before, but now Im really confussed. :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
11-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Reindeer fly? I was confused before, but now Im really confussed. :crossx:
I think some penicillan should clear that up... :idea:

Her454
11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
I think some penicillan should clear that up... :idea:
:yuk: Thanks for that visual this morning. :rollside: