PDA

View Full Version : Hey, computer guru's & geeks

burtandnancy
11-14-2006, 11:07 PM
I was told today thats its better for the computer to leave it on all the time, don't turn it on/off many times per day. Same guy leaves his on 24/7, only turns off the monitor. As a comparative newby to computers, I don't know for sure. What is your opinion?

Cole Sanger
11-14-2006, 11:31 PM
I say leave it on if you can. I leave my home computer on all the time. My last couple of computers I turned on and off all the time and they ended up having power supply problems and motherboard problems. Not sure if the two are connected, but I have not had a problem in a couple of years with the new one.

YeLLowBoaT
11-14-2006, 11:34 PM
turn it off... it will save you more cash on power then the "wear and tear" of parts. also pcs don't like heat. the longer they are on the more heat they build up.( I don't care how many fans you put on them.)

Magic34
11-14-2006, 11:54 PM
From what I understand it is the getting hot and cooling off cycle that wears them down. I turn my on in the morning, it stays on all day, then I turn it off at night. It stays off for 6-8 hours at a time.
Turning it off evey hour or 2 I think would be rough on it.

Rexone
11-15-2006, 12:03 AM
I run the machines here at work 24/7. A few have been running since late 90's. (yes old stuff). I set the drives to rest after a certain # on minutes though so they don't run 24/7.
It is beneficial to reboot occassionally though but not necessary daily imo.
Techlically not sure which way is better but I've had good luck letting them run.

DelawareDave
11-15-2006, 02:41 AM
I let mine run 24/7 also. I set it to blank screensaver, power down the harddrive and the monitor after 30 minutes.

The Jerk
11-15-2006, 05:03 AM
depends. if its a laptop i always see more issues arise after being on for more than 20 hours or so. the memory seems to build up and never disipate. my 8 year old desktop at home stays on most of the time. but by 3rd or 4th day it needs to be turned off and back on.... just depend son the machine i guess. but i agree with what was said earlier. turn on in the morning and turn off at night...

sorry dog
11-15-2006, 05:26 AM
Which is better...Ford or Chevy...

Sleek-Jet
11-15-2006, 06:00 AM
We've got computers here at work that haven't been off in years... I turn the computer that I use for work (hahahaha) and ***boat off over the weekend.
Everything else is on a UPS and the only time they go off is when they break... which isn't often.
I turn the Desktop at home off every couple of days. I used to shut it down all the time, but started having hard-drive problems after about a year. Since I've been leaving it on, no such problems have arisen..

shueman
11-15-2006, 07:10 AM
Desktops on, Laptops off.

HocusPocus
11-15-2006, 07:14 AM
we have 5 computers at my home and approx 20 at the offices that are on 24/7. one of the computers at home is almost 8 years old and the kids still use it online.

ZBODaytona
11-15-2006, 07:16 AM
I was told once a day...need to clear the working memory.....this is just what i have come to understand....don't you know the first rule of computer problems..........Reboot then come talk to me iff the problem is still there. Most of the time it is gone.

Jyruiz
11-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Leave them on and let them go in to standby, they hardly use and power when in standby. I never turn my desktops or laptops off, I just let them go into standby.

dirty old man
11-15-2006, 08:18 AM
great question

Ziggy
11-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Mostly leave desktops on, although my office pc I shut down each eve.
I have several at work that stay on 24/7 and don't have unusual issues.
So which is better???? :idea: WTF knows for sure :rollside:

Jyruiz
11-15-2006, 08:30 AM
PC's, specially desktops are meant to run like refrigerators, you do, do more harm when you turn it off and on because it sends a spike every time you turn the PC on.

Caljamr
11-15-2006, 08:33 AM
Laptops have horrible cooling and should be turned off when not in use.
Desktops have good cooling and should be at least cycled off once a week to clear up memory. Or turn off when your not going to be using it for an extended time.
Servers cycle once a month if possible. Some of our servers can't be cycled and only get cycled when updates are run on it.
You can go into power mgmt and set it when to sleep and such which i like to do with my home computers.
From my 9 years of experience running an IT shop in a company of 2500 people in the end letting them run seems to be work better than turning them off.

Cheap Thrills
11-15-2006, 08:34 AM
What ? It's impossible to leave a Windows machine running for 24hrs with out a reboot :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1127o_e7833a2.jpg
T.

HocusPocus
11-15-2006, 08:37 AM
What ? It's impossible to leave a Windows machine running for 24hrs with out a reboot :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1127o_e7833a2.jpg
T.
funny... and sometimes so true! :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

BajaMike
11-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Desktops on, Laptops off.
I agree with this one.....a man of few words......but he's right! :idea:

deltaAce
11-15-2006, 09:12 AM
It depends on the use on the machine. If you are the sole user of a home PC & only access it after work, I'd leave it off for the 16 hours it's not used everyday. Iv'e never found harm in several on-off cycles per day, for years.

Totally IncapASSitated
11-15-2006, 09:20 AM
The colors on my monitor are all screwed up...I'm getting a funky tie-dye effect around pics.
Anyone have any idea what this could be or how to fix it?

uvindex
11-15-2006, 09:26 AM
The colors on my monitor are all screwed up...I'm getting a funky tie-dye effect around pics.
Anyone have any idea what this could be or how to fix it?If it's a CRT (not an LCD), the first thing I'd try is to degauss it (there should be a button for that in the monitor controls). Also, make sure there are no magnets (like unshielded speakers) near the monitor and make sure the cables are good and well-connected. Good luck!