PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on spring boat market??

FREIND OF AA AND TA
11-15-2006, 08:38 AM
I feel like dumping the price on my 30 Daytona but part of me just says wait till spring after the show. What do you guys think? Blow it out or wait. It will be another year older then though.
It seems like people can't give away boats right now. I don't remember it being this bad in a long time.

Jyruiz
11-15-2006, 08:46 AM
I say drop it now till the 1st of the year, if it does not sell, then raise it back in Feb, right before the boat show.

Havasu Carrera
11-15-2006, 08:54 AM
But you have to warranty it for life and store it and can you make it blue and pink?? Thats about the best offer I have had on my boat. I would keep it and use it in Glamis before I would sell it for as little as I have been offered. The thing is barely 6 years old and new boats costing 100k won't touch it. The body style is Current etc etc. I could use another axel on my trailer but......
Keep it (Friend) I am selling a boat for a buddy that MUST sell and he is going to take a beating. A BIG one. Good luck and see ya on the water. (nice boat by the way. I figure if someone goes to the boat show and is looking at comperable boats to yours they will spend DOUBLE!! for new. (I am sure it will sell just after spring boat show)

boatnam2
11-15-2006, 08:54 AM
dude crusie by a few of the boat mfg's there not building anything well im sure dcb is.your right it hasnt been this bad in around 8 or 9 years kinda funny just like real estate.

Froggystyle
11-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Advertise big in the trader during the boat show. Big ad, clean kick ass photo etc... Put in a description that includes all of the stuff they will be shopping for in a new boat. Lastly... offer financing assistance. There are enough people on here slinging loans that you can help your client and them out at the same time. Many people incorrectly see the inability to finance a used boat as a barrier to purchase.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
11-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Advertise big in the trader during the boat show. Big ad, clean kick ass photo etc... Put in a description that includes all of the stuff they will be shopping for in a new boat. Lastly... offer financing assistance. There are enough people on here slinging loans that you can help your client and them out at the same time. Many people incorrectly see the inability to finance a used boat as a barrier to purchase.
Good idea! I wonder if I can buy their rate down to a new boat loan rate.

cdog
11-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Stick to your guns. It's all about timing and the right price. Even the right price won't motivate people while it's christmas season.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
11-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Stick to your guns. It's all about timing and the right price. Even the right price won't motivate people while it's christmas season.
You would think that would be perfect!! I want a new boat for x-mas!!! :rollside:

Froggystyle
11-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Guaranteed. I can offer 1% right now if I wanted to... just buy down the rate. I just figured that people were smart enough at my end of the business to see right through that and realize it is just money from a different pile. You pay more for the boat, less for the interest... Same thing.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
11-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Cool thanks I will remember that.

Chipster27
11-15-2006, 10:06 AM
There are some awesome boats for sale right now, yours, Tobteks, the blue and silver Ultra 26 that JW just built. All incredible boats. I think most people are tapped out. I think most pulled money from their homes and now there is no money left to pull.
I'd love to buy any of the boats above, but the wife is nervous about the economy. We have the money, just not willing to cut it loose. Those that don't have the $$$ can't get it, and those that have it don't want to part with it. It's tough, and there are some SMOKIN' HOT BOATS for sale.
Good luck with the sale of yours. I'm sure in time it will sell. As you well know, it's the "off season". Froggy had some great advice as did jyruiz. It's all about price, perceived value and timing. You gotta find the guy with the desire to own, ability to say yes, and the $$$.

Cole Sanger
11-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Hold your price. Eventually someone will buy it. You just have to be willing to wait.

Singleton
11-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Drop it (50% of what you were thinking of dropping it) until 2 weeks before Boat Show then go back up.

Havasu1986
11-15-2006, 02:02 PM
What do you think the insurance would be on the boat he's selling, the 30 Daytona w/ twin 496. I am 46 and have been with the same insurance carrier in Havi since 1986. I've have a 98' 25 Eagle w/502 now, and the insurance is very low.

grads2112
11-15-2006, 02:03 PM
I'd wait until after the boat show to do anything...after people go to the show and realize they can buy your boat for 1/3 of what a new one cost.

ChumpChange
11-15-2006, 02:08 PM
I think the spring boat market is going to be great. I think people will start bidding on our boats and we'll probably get double what we're asking for. With the Chinese population looking to get into boating, they will start to export boats to China and will create a shortfall on watercraft here in the U.S. We will have the advantage as you can buy one of ours now instead of waiting the three years to get a new one.
Trident will be so backed up, they will actually create four more molds of the revolution in order to keep up with demand.
It will be great.

SOCALDETAIL1
11-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Yea and remember to get it DETAILED it will sell faster and you will make the money back on the sale. Trust me.

Dan Lorenze
11-15-2006, 02:31 PM
I'd wait until after the boat show to do anything...after people go to the show and realize they can buy your boat for 1/3 of what a new one cost.
That's kind of what I think too... Go big in the Boattrader like Froggy said..

Parker Dreamin
11-15-2006, 02:55 PM
I would hold on too....
we are...

plaster dave
11-15-2006, 03:09 PM
I would wait till spring Mike, then anyone that looks at Ricks I would tell them for alittle more you could have this. :rollside:

mbrown2
11-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Hold out....and start really advertising Jan 1st....Boats sell better around the boat show...mine sold in a 1.5 weeks three weeks before the show....aggressively priced from the outset...

NashvilleBound
11-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Whats up big guy..... Why worry about it. Just buy another boat and then you'll have two....with your money it should not be a problem.

plaster dave
11-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Hold out....and start really advertising Jan 1st....Boats sell better around the boat show...mine sold in a 1.5 weeks three weeks before the show....aggressively priced from the outset...
Yea but Mike that was the best writen advertisement I have ever seen on the boards. Nothing left to ask the seller except cash or check.

RandyH
11-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Pull it to the boat show, park it out front and put a sign on it, For Sale, Boat show special Price, Give em your phone number.
Randy

Jyruiz
11-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Pull it to the boat show, park it out front and put a sign on it, For Sale, Boat show special Price, Give em your phone number.
Randy
You can also probably print out some flyers with details and pics and pass them out during the boat show.

acatitude
11-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Don't drop the price if its fair, just wait for the right buyer. Ive had my howard for sale for a while I wont drop the price it wont be worth any less next year.

Chipster27
11-15-2006, 04:57 PM
I'll add photos - many of them - and marketing.
Every vehcile I've sold I ended up creating a webpage for. Lots of photos and details on condition and maintenance history.
Here are a few I've done
http://www.webs4racers.com/trd/
http://www.webs4racers.com/zx9/
http://www.webs4racers.com/330i/
http://www.webs4racers.com/raptor350/
http://www.webs4racers.com/bmw/ - I sold this BMW to a guy 100 miles away just because of the website and the detail.
It's worked for me every time.
Good luck!

acatitude
11-15-2006, 04:59 PM
chipster maybe you should be a car salesman lol

grads2112
11-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Don't drop the price if its fair, just wait for the right buyer. Ive had my howard for sale for a while I wont drop the price it wont be worth any less next year.
I have no idea why your boat isn't selling with pictures like this floating around ***boat. You might want to re-think the "I won't drop the price" attitude. :rollside:
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8586/kenandboys2dc5ph6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

FREIND OF AA AND TA
11-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Classic!!!!
OK Thanks guys kinda what I thought.
New price $210,000 firm!!! Boat show special $109,000 Firm! Only during show. LOL!!!!

Chipster27
11-15-2006, 05:46 PM
chipster maybe you should be a car salesman lol
Maybe I should stop buying cars! :rollside:
Spent a number of years in sales and managing sales reps. It's all about creating the desire to own the product and setting your self apart from the rest. Then get that message out to your target market that includes the ability to spend money and make decisions.
My perception is: the "toy" market is weak, right now the desire is not strong (not the season), and people don't want to seperate themselves from their cash or commit to more debt.

Chipster27
11-15-2006, 05:47 PM
New price $210,000 firm!!! Boat show special $109,000 Firm! Only during show. LOL!!!!
Ah crap now I have to wait until Feb to get it for $109,000 :rollside:

TheCarDudes
11-15-2006, 05:53 PM
I would absolutely wait until the boat show. Keep your price where it is. Its not like you have distressed merchandise. As a recent buyer of a boat in the last 30 days, it was my full intention to go to the boat show, price boats, then look for what would be on the market around that time. I figured the best selection of boats would be available to pick from at that time. It was only the smoking deal that I got on this Howard Sport Deck that made me change to plan "B". So I jumped on this deal.
Good Luck

FREIND OF AA AND TA
11-15-2006, 05:59 PM
I would absolutely wait until the boat show. Keep your price where it is. Its not like you have distressed merchandise. As a recent buyer of a boat in the last 30 days, it was my full intention to go to the boat show, price boats, then look for what would be on the market around that time. I figured the best selection of boats would be available to pick from at that time. It was only the smoking deal that I got on this Howard Sport Deck that made me change to plan "B". So I jumped on this deal.
Good Luck
That was a smokin deal!!! I was there the day before you picked it up!!

FREIND OF AA AND TA
11-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Ah crap now I have to wait until Feb to get it for $109,000 :rollside:
Holly molly it's working already!!!

HP350SC
11-15-2006, 06:30 PM
I have no idea why your boat isn't selling with pictures like this floating around ***boat. You might want to re-think the "I won't drop the price" attitude. :rollside:
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8586/kenandboys2dc5ph6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
LMAO!
You know, all I ever see is threads about Norcal "lunch runs". Well that and "meet for breakfast". WTH are you guys referring to? :coffeycup :D

4DAY4PLAY
11-15-2006, 06:40 PM
I know for me personally, i just liquidated everything ( a boat, 2 trailers, 3 motorcycles) in preperation of purchasing some more real estate as prices drop. I kind of saw the writing on the wall and sold my boat during summer, cause i kinda figured cash would be king. I did not want to have any debt other than the money i owe on my home now, to better qualify for real estate loans if that time should ever come.....im still waiting i dont think the housing market is done dropping. IMO gas prices are going back up again, and if they raise rates, with all the adjustables coming due, i think big ticket item purchases(suchs as boats/rv's/cars) may slow down for the next few years. Money just isnt as cheap anymore, and probably wont be for a while.(years)
then again there will ALWAYS be BALLERS that have money to burn on toys, you may just have to be patient.

phebus
11-15-2006, 06:46 PM
I know for me personally, i just liquidated everything ( a boat, 2 trailers, 3 motorcycles) in preperation of purchasing some more real estate as prices drop. I kind of saw the writing on the wall and sold my boat during summer, cause i kinda figured cash would be king. I did not want to have any debt other than the money i owe on my home now, to better qualify for real estate loans if that time should ever come.....im still waiting i dont think the housing market is done dropping. IMO gas prices are going back up again, and if they raise rates, with all the adjustables coming due, i think big ticket item purchases(suchs as boats/rv's/cars) may slow down for the next few years. Money just isnt as cheap anymore, and probably wont be for a while.(years)
then again there will ALWAYS be BALLERS that have money to burn on toys, you may just have to be patient.
I agree with your post, but feel as interest rates rise, creativity with loans will also rise, allowing those dumb enough to keep buying, to keep buying.

NashvilleBound
11-15-2006, 06:59 PM
I know for me personally, i just liquidated everything ( a boat, 2 trailers, 3 motorcycles) in preperation of purchasing some more real estate as prices drop..
Excellent idea....good luck.

jrgaudettes
11-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Personnaly I think its always slow this time of season. Mind you it may be slower now than previous years. I would hold firm on the price. We just purchased a new Ultra so there are porple out there looking. It killed us but we waited a year in a half after selling our Essex to purchase a new boat. Smart buyers will buy now when the deals are there. Just my .02

4DAY4PLAY
11-15-2006, 09:07 PM
I agree with your post, but feel as interest rates rise, creativity with loans will also rise, allowing those dumb enough to keep buying, to keep buying.
I agree with this statement...just like 50 year mortgage loans!!!

riverroyal
11-15-2006, 09:16 PM
I agree with this statement...just like 50 year mortgage loans!!!
went UP $9000 last month.Inventory went down 3%.

acatitude
11-15-2006, 09:31 PM
LMAO!
You know, all I ever see is threads about Norcal "lunch runs". Well that and "meet for breakfast". WTH are you guys referring to? :coffeycup :D
Aw Mike its just greg playin with photoshop after my po lil grocery getter handed his(200k big bad twin daytona's ass to him at Bridge to Bridge.. he will get over it, well maybe not . lol :D :D

Boatandrvloanguy
11-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Mike, bye what rate down? We do not charge a finace charge or up the rate on loans.....only guys in the mortgage bussiness do that...wait I am doing mortgage loans now, only boat and rv loans guys do that..
Chris

C-2
11-15-2006, 10:35 PM
This time last year we were eyeballing some used Fountains and there were about 90-100 to choose from.
The other day, a quick search turned up 225 of the same models we were looking for last year.
Roll the dice, this years boat show will be interesting for sure.

Tequila-John
11-16-2006, 10:18 AM
I would hold on too....
we are...
Hope she is gone soon

4DAY4PLAY
11-16-2006, 12:16 PM
went UP $9000 last month.Inventory went down 3%.
Most homes are not going up still. If yours is good for you. It may be going up on "paper" but try selling it right now...good luck unless you drop well below comps. Im no RE agent but i do know i see more price reduced signs than sold signs in fron of houses right now.

HocusPocus
11-16-2006, 12:47 PM
i found some boat traders from a year ago, there were very few boats listed that were 2 years old or newer. now there are alot of same model year boats for sale and some are actually pretty good deals but people just wont buy them. i think there is much more to it then just being the wrong time of year to sell. come spring time there will be a flood of used high end boats on the market because so many are thinking of holding off until the warmer weather to try and sell.
if you want to sell a boat better do it now and do some of the homework for your buyer, find out what a lender will loan on the boat and set up in advance with with a loan company. make the purchase easy and painless for the buyer.
good luck and i hope you sell it soon :rollside: