PDA

View Full Version : Duramax mechanic's question

Havasu47
11-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Yesterday I took my '06 Duramax in to the dealer for a "reprogram glow plug control module". It was a recall. My question is the dumbass service manager couldn't tell me what the reprogramming was supposed to change. His answer was... "uhh it reprogrammed the glow plug control module". Just curious... anyone know?

uvindex
11-15-2006, 09:08 AM
"reprogram glow plug control module".I don't have any info on this, but I found this on the Diesel Page (http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/dmaxservicebulletin0406.htm):
In an effort to reduce cold-start induced white smoke, GM has upgraded the glow plugs, the glow plug controller and the ECM programming on a continuing basis since first introducing the first Duramax 6600 in the fall of 2000. The 2006 Duramax, identified as either RPO code LLY (early '06 models) or LBZ (late '06 models), saw another glow system upgrade. Faster-acting glow plugs and shorter cycle times combine to further reduce white smoke after a cold start, while helping to make diesel engine operation more transparent to those more familiar with starting a gas engine. However, there have been a few bumps in the road regarding the 2006 glow system.
Service Document ID #1797239 was released in March of 2006 addressing a possible concern about the glow plug system and a need to reprogram the Glow Plug Control Module #06522. It was discovered that some number of 2006 vehicles equipped with either the RPO code LLY (VIN code 2) or LBZ (VIN code D) (eighth digit in the VIN) Duramax 6600 may need to be returned to their dealer to have the glow plug control module re-programmed. While we here at The Diesel Page haven't heard of any glow system problems resulting in engine damage, some of these 2006 LLY/LBZ equipped vehicles have experienced failure of the glow plug(s), which could (in the worst cases) result in more serious engine damage due to glow plug tip ingestion.
There's more info, plus a table and picture, at the link above. :)

Havasu47
11-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info! Exactly what I was looking for. The last paragraph is what applied to mine.