PDA

View Full Version : Tires and air pressure

DILLIGAF
11-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I usually run my tires at the max 50lbs but when I got them rotated today the guy suggested when I am towing to run the front at 40 and keep the rear at 50 and it should smooth it out a bit. He said that I was showing some unevn wear up front and he thinks it is because of running 50 up front while towing. I forgot to ask but when not towing should I get back to 50 on the front?
I thought you just run it right on the button on the max....
Any comments on this?

rrrr
11-16-2006, 03:46 PM
I run 38F/45R on my diesel Ex.....Boat and trailer are around 6,500#. Seems to ride better than 50 and the wear is even front-to-back....

voodoomedman
11-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Maybe I am stupid but I am not understanding what you are saying here. You run 50 front and back or 40? What is the max recommended pressure on your tires?
Looks like he is saying he runs 38 in front and and 45 in the Rear. Hence 38F/45R

Havasu Luvr
11-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Tom, this is how it works, outer edge wear on the tread is under-inflation....center tread wear is over inflation. For some you Big Ballers with a 36" - 40" tires it takes much less psi to maintain even tread wear..however you will have to increase pressure under load/when towing.

slink
11-16-2006, 04:06 PM
LOL...I thought maybe that was his tire size or something like that :)
OK...I am stupid
I think that was proven with your signature avatar :)

HavasuSelect
11-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Tom, this is how it works, outer edge wear on the tread is under-inflation....center tread wear is over inflation. For some you Big Ballers with a 36" - 40" tires it takes much less psi to maintain even tread wear..however you will have to increase pressure under load/when towing.
What do you think would be a good psi for a 35 inch tire? I rotate every oil change and seem to be getting decent/even tread wear. I'm running full 50 pounds right now.

rrrr
11-16-2006, 04:12 PM
LOL...I thought maybe that was his tire size or something like that :)
OK...I am stupid
I guess that was sorta cryptic.....I'll 'splain better next time.... :)

Havasu Hangin'
11-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I run 5lbs higher in the front when not towing, since there is more weight in the front.
When towing, I jack all of them up to the max to keep the heat down.

acatitude
11-16-2006, 04:32 PM
I think that was proven with your signature avatar :)
LMAO whos in 1st place in the west

MudPumper
11-16-2006, 04:45 PM
If you want even tread wear, take a piece of chalk and make a few horizontal lines across the tires, drive straight down the steet, stop and look to see where the chalk has worn off. If the chalk is still on the edges of the tread, your tires are over inflated. Release some air and repeat until the chalk wears off.
Remember the tire PSI's on the door and tire are recommended, not necessarily what is correct.

rrrr
11-16-2006, 05:11 PM
If you want even tread wear, take a piece of chalk and make a few horizontal lines across the tires, drive straight down the steet, stop and look to see where the chalk has worn off. If the chalk is still on the edges of the tread, your tires are over inflated. Release some air and repeat until the chalk wears off.
LOL....if I saw someone doing this, I'd hafta be thinking "WTF is wrong with this idiot?"...... :D :D

Havasu Luvr
11-16-2006, 06:13 PM
What do you think would be a good psi for a 35 inch tire? I rotate every oil change and seem to be getting decent/even tread wear. I'm running full 50 pounds right now.
HH has it right, more psi in the front then the rear tires. You are getting good tread wear due to the fact that you are rotating often. I have always run 5lbs under reccommeded psi on the front and 25lbs in the rear (empty). Although when loaded I have max psi in the rear only.

uvindex
11-16-2006, 06:17 PM
I usually run my tires at the max 50lbs but when I got them rotated today the guy suggested when I am towing to run the front at 40 and keep the rear at 50 and it should smooth it out a bit. He said that I was showing some unevn wear up front and he thinks it is because of running 50 up front while towing. I forgot to ask but when not towing should I get back to 50 on the front?
I thought you just run it right on the button on the max....
Any comments on this?Are these stock tires? (and I'm assuming this a pickup) If they're stock, what does the sticker on the door jamb say? (Typical for a truck is 5psi more for the rear axle, because of additional weight in the bed [not to exceed max rated for the tires, of course].) For example, the factory sticker on my 1/2-ton Silverado is 30 front, 35 rear. :)

Jordy
11-16-2006, 06:19 PM
The second paragraph makes sense
:rollside:
You off your meds or something??? Everyone knows that thru-transom will give you the 5mph gain as you have 2 pipes trusting those hot exhaust gasses out the back like rocket boosters and propelling you forward. IDIOT.... GOSH!!!! :D :D :D

Jordy
11-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Thats why it made sense....lol
Thru-hub is restrictive and only gives you one exhaust thruster though and 2 is way better than one. Think about it. :idea: :D