PDA

View Full Version : Old military hummers?

Riverat84
11-16-2006, 06:11 PM
so ive heard, from a few people that heard from a few people that there is a list that you can put your name on to receive an old HUMMER once the military reitires them? this sounds so sweet even though it'll probably be trashed... :crossx:

Riverat84
11-16-2006, 06:13 PM
anyone know of a website or anything?
thanx,
Reid

2Driver
11-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Dont bother

Riverat84
11-16-2006, 06:15 PM
why not? just curious**

riverracerx
11-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Can't do it. They won't sell a military version to you. I looked into it. There was a place that did them for awhile, but not anymore. If you DO find a place, make sure they are completely legit or you might get it repossesed by the govt!
I am sure they are out there. But it it didn't look easy, nor could you get one street legal, as they don't meet DOT safety requirements.
seach "for sale military Humvee" on google

Jordy
11-16-2006, 06:21 PM
I heard that once upon a time as well, did the search and never came out with anything solid as far a leads. I know my company does a bunch of repowers back on the East Coast and runs through all the drivetrain while they're at it. Think they'd notice a few missing??? :D :D :D

riverbound
11-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Can't do it. They won't sell a military version to you. I looked into it. There was a place that did them for awhile, but not anymore. If you DO find a place, make sure they are completely legit or you might get it repossesed by the govt!
I am sure they are out there. But it it didn't look easy, nor could you get one street legal, as they don't meet DOT safety requirements.
seach "for sale military Humvee" on google
Pretty much sums it up. they used to sell the to the public but now they all get dismantled. and parted out.

NOTALENT
11-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Reid...not possible, now shut up and be @ Tracys by 7:30pm not flaking this time! :yuk: :crossx:

2Driver
11-16-2006, 06:32 PM
I drove an H1 for a while on and off road and it was great. All that said it was made to be maintenanced by a large tax base :rollside: If you have all the tools, inside line on parts and can do it yourself or have a small country of tax payers behind you go for it.
On my Civilian H1 I figured it took $400 a month to keep it rolling and it had a bumper to bumper warranty! Yes I would bet the military ones are beat to living $hit. Most I think are from the 80's. I have also heard they are only retitled for civi sale after they have been hard scrapped so any military H1 is really a reassembled ( not to be confused with reconditioned) H1. ie front of one back of another etc.
Break down in Moab or between the river and try to find a split rim or run flat replacement or final drive line part. The engine and tranny are stock but most everything else is custom stuff. Its ability as a war machine is its achilles heal in civi life. You'd be better off finding a Jeep TJ 97, 99 or so with a Dana 44 and having fun with it. More dependable and parts and aftermarket parts galore.
IF it's cheap and you are real handy with tools then I would say you would have a lot of fun but prepare for some costly upkeep. Enough for now See ya

HocusPocus
11-16-2006, 06:33 PM
last time i checked into one at a govt auction the body and frame had to be cut in half and everything else dismantled before you could even remove it from the auction site.
i found this on one of the old letters i use to get from military auctions.
Unlike the WW II jeeps which were sold as surplus to the general public by the Government, the policy regarding the HMMWV has put them mostly off-limits to civilians. The reasons for this policy are not completely clear. Officially, the problem is DOT. The US Department of Transportation has a lot of requirements for what a civilian motor vehicle has to be and the HMMWV (military model) does not meet them. Things like doors with side-impact protection (basic HMMWV has just a web strap), lighting (military lighting falls short), and padded impact-absorbing dashboard (Army issues bare metal).
however there are a few real HMMWVs floating around various collectors.

racecar.hotshoe
11-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Look here..
http://motors.listings.ebay.com/Other-Vehicles_Military-Vehicles_W0QQfclZ3QQfcoZ1QQsacatZ80765QQsocmdZList ingItemList