PDA

View Full Version : sandals resorts,vacation help

boatnam2
11-16-2006, 07:31 PM
anyone been to them?how was it?how was the flight?planning a vacation for feb. and thinking about going there.want to do a all-inclusive deal was thinking about cancun but have heard alot of bad stories about the place.any other ideal places you have been with a max flight of 6 hours and a budget of around 5k.2 adults

Havasu1986
11-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Sandals I've been to: Jamaica Dunns River and Negril, St Lucia Grand and the Royal Bahamian in the Bahamas. Been to Aventura in Cancun. All inclusive is the only way to go. 5k for 2 is about right. Book it now the snowbirds like it there. Jamaica is our favorite.

boatnam2
11-16-2006, 07:38 PM
yea i see that alot of the stuff for jan is booked so we moved to feb and alot of that is booked also.thanks

voodoomedman
11-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Stay out of Montego Bay. Go to a resort town.
Negril is supposed to be really nice but you have the guys bugging you on the beach. Ocho Rios it's hard for them to get to the water so they don't bother you. Also Whitehouse is the newest one and when my sister in law was there they weren't bothered one bit. Montego Bay and Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay are ratholes. Sandals Inn is also in the rathole Montego Bay and it is a tiny resort with little amenities. You have to go to the other resorts to use anything. They flight on Jamaica air is okay. Old Airbuses not super clean. Don't be all excited about the free beer. You'll get one with the beverage service and have to chase them down and kick their a$$ for anymore.

socalmoney
11-16-2006, 08:12 PM
We got to Cancun a lot and we love this place. The food is out of this world. The service is top notch and the beds are so comfortable, that is hard to say for a bed in Mexico.
http://www.leblancresort.com/
http://www.leblancresort.com/graphics/main_photo4_new.jpg

boatnam2
11-16-2006, 08:29 PM
i do not want to have to deal with the locals selling there stuff.they get to do that at sandals?i want to get some place kick it and not worry about nothing but where my next drink is.

boatnam2
11-16-2006, 08:33 PM
We got to Cancun a lot and we love this place. The food is out of this world. The service is top notch and the beds are so comfortable, that is hard to say for a bed in Mexico.
looks very nice,so no hidden fees or time share sells?what did it run for a week with flight?

voodoomedman
11-16-2006, 08:36 PM
i do not want to have to deal with the locals selling there stuff.they get to do that at sandals?i want to get some place kick it and not worry about nothing but where my next drink is.
Not on property but their will be a good six of them on surfboards on the water. Damn near ruined our time at Royal Carribean among other things. It's too far for them to swim in Ocho Rios so you don't get it and I think it's the same situation in Whitehouse (That and it's not really a resort town or anything-just a resort out in the middle of the country). Montego Bay is old and they are all there. Flankers neighborhood is nearby and used to be a really really bad part of town. We had a door in the front of the room and a door in the back and would always go in the back and not take advantage of moonlit walks on the beach back to our rooms because the aholes were out there til freaking midnight. If you go stay away from any resort in Montego Bay.

Havasu1986
11-16-2006, 08:42 PM
At the 4 sandals I have had stayed at the locals are not allowed on the property. But they are nearby. Once or twice a week they will bring in the locals and have booths set up around to sell there merchandise. But they know not to bug or they won't be back. Like the guy said before, the flight is usually a red eye there and avoid staying in Montego Bay. We found that the Jamaicians where the most freindly...YaMaan . But it is a 3rd world country. If you want to go sightseeing every day, go somewhere else. If you want to lay in the sun and enjoy what you have at your resort and maybe sightsee a couple days. Try it. Red Stripe tastes like Bud.

voodoomedman
11-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Another tip. Tell them not to add the sugarwater to your drinks. You will not get a bellyache and you will be able to actually drink and enjoy the included drinks. Or just stick to the Red Stripe.

Havasu1986
11-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Apparently VooDoo didn't have a good time. That is the thing . Alot of people that we met either hated it or loved it. I go for the free golf and drinks. My wife goes to lay on the beach and not have 50 calls a day for work. Negril has the best sunsets.

voodoomedman
11-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Apparently VooDoo didn't have a good time. That is the thing . Alot of people that we met either hated it or loved it. I go for the free golf and drinks. My wife goes to lay on the beach and not have 50 calls a day for work. Negril has the best sunsets.
Yes and no. I've been twice. Loved it in Ocho Rios. Had some issues in Montego Bay at Sandals Royal Carribean. Just trying to offer some help. I am the grandfunkmaster of fun so we still had a good time. But..... It cost us less to go the year before to Ocho Rios and have a better time.

boatnam2
11-16-2006, 08:59 PM
so ocho rios is one of the better spots.like to golf,wife like to sun.

Havasu1986
11-16-2006, 09:03 PM
THe 1st time we went there. We get off the plane after the red eye flight and we see the people at the airport and then take the 2 hour bus ride to Ocho Rios and we look at each other and say what did we get ourselves into. Then the bus pulls into the Sandals Resort and the awesome lobby. And they greeted us with champagne, we were so relieved. Our wedding was also included with the deal. To bad for me so was all the drinks.

Havasu1986
11-16-2006, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=boatnam2]so ocho rios is one of the better spots.like to golf,wife like to sun.[/QUOTe)
You have to check if they still have the golf package in O.R. The course is very nice and you have to rent a caddy. The 2 times I played my caddy was Winston. He knew the course like the back of his hand. I asked him at the turn if he wanted something to drink, he said a Heineken. If my caddy is drinking ..then so am I. The back 9 was alot of fun.

boatnam2
11-16-2006, 09:08 PM
THe 1st time we went there. We get off the plane after the red eye flight and we see the people at the airport and then take the 2 hour bus ride to Ocho Rios and we look at each other and say what did we get ourselves into. Then the bus pulls into the Sandals Resort and the awesome lobby. And they greeted us with champagne, we were so relieved. Our wedding was also included with the deal. To bad for me so was all the drinks.
sounds like fun.how is the bus ride is it only people going to sandals or locals and tourists.

Havasu1986
11-16-2006, 09:10 PM
sounds like fun.how is the bus ride is it only people going to sandals or locals and tourists.
Resort people only. Mostly Sandals people. They do stop 1/2 way for beer or sodas

boatnam2
11-16-2006, 09:10 PM
dont mean to sound paraniod but i know how bad it can get,i want to be on vacation not save the homeless as bad as that sounds.we did a cruise in costa rica last year and on all the day excursions the guides keep everyone away from you and it was kinda nice.

voodoomedman
11-16-2006, 09:11 PM
so ocho rios is one of the better spots.like to golf,wife like to sun.
Yes. They just redid that resort too. Combined it with the Beaches next door and updated everything. When we stayed there you tripped on people cleaning stuff. Royal Carribbean was poorly managed, unclean (Hurricane hit a month before but they said it's fine come on down we fixed everything, yeah right) and those $hits on the surfboards just don't stop. You think you buy something they will leave you alone. Nope now they know you have money and that you will spend it if they bug you enough. They now get worse.
Ocho Rios was great. We had the same feeling that first year riding there on the bus. It was scary but when you pull in and it's beautiful and they start wiping your a$$ from the first second it is all worth it.

Havasu1986
11-16-2006, 09:14 PM
dont mean to sound paraniod but i know how bad it can get,i want to be on vacation not save the homeless as bad as that sounds.we did a cruise in costa rica last year and on all the day excursions the guides keep everyone away from you and it was kinda nice.
Same there mostly. If you go to Dunns River falls there is a outdoor mall for sovenirs where they try very hard, but you just say no thanks and then move on. They don't want to lose there space.

Havasu1986
11-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Yes. They just redid that resort too. Combined it with the Beaches next door and updated everything. When we stayed there you tripped on people cleaning stuff. Royal Carribbean was poorly managed, unclean (Hurricane hit a month before but they said it's fine come on down we fixed everything, yeah right) and those $hits on the surfboards just don't stop. You think you buy something they will leave you alone. Nope now they know you have money and that you will spend it if they bug you enough. They now get worse.
Ocho Rios was great. We had the same feeling that first year riding there on the bus. It was scary but when you pull in and it's beautiful and they start wiping your a$$ from the first second it is all worth it.
We had a problem when we stayed in the Carribbean at the Sandals to after a hurricane. We complained so loud that they gave us 3 free nites on our next visit.

98 Vector 21
11-16-2006, 09:18 PM
We done Cozamel & Cancun w/Apple vacations all inclusive had a great time except for Cozumel and Wilma....Cancun we stayed at the Grand Palladium..they have some great place's to eat that are included but you need to make a resv when you first check in....

voodoomedman
11-16-2006, 09:21 PM
We had a problem when we stayed in the Carribbean at the Sandals to after a hurricane. We complained so loud that they gave us 3 free nites on our next visit.
That's the ticket. Complain loudly when you are there and you will get results. Wait until you get home and they won't do a darn thing for you. Delta did and Pleasant Holidays did but Sandals didn't even respond. I would like to go back in a few years to a Beaches with the Kids.

Havasu1986
11-16-2006, 09:26 PM
That's the ticket. Complain loudly when you are there and you will get results. Wait until you get home and they won't do a darn thing for you. Delta did and Pleasant Holidays did but Sandals didn't even respond. I would like to go back in a few years to a Beaches with the Kids.
Actually we did wait until we got home. It took awhile but my wife was relentless. Saved us about a 1k

voodoomedman
11-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Actually we did wait until we got home. It took awhile but my wife was relentless. Saved us about a 1k
Who'd you book through. I let AAA handle it and my agent was out sick so by the time it got taken care of it was because I called back months later so Sandals never responded. While we were there we got room upgrades and my in laws were allowed to come to the signature guest party with us but there was still too many things wrong. Delta gave us some plane vouchers though and Pleasant Holidays gave us $430 travel voucher each and $50 bucks credit back on our credit cards.

boatnam2
11-16-2006, 09:41 PM
so you booked sandals through pleasant holidays.that would work out great we have a credit from them.

voodoomedman
11-16-2006, 09:42 PM
so you booked sandals through pleasant holidays.that would work out great we have a credit from them.
I did but I don't think they carry the carribbean anymore. Check with them though.

boatnam2
11-16-2006, 09:48 PM
I did but I don't think they carry the carribbean anymore. Check with them though.
your are right no more carribbean!

Sotally Tober
11-16-2006, 09:52 PM
I would highly recommend Cancun. We stayed here Moon Palace (http://www.palaceresorts.com/Resorts/MoonPalace/Index.asp). It was the best. It is such a large resort we rarely left. There is so many restaurants that have incredible food onsite. You get an arm band and you can go to any of the other Palace Resorts around and get all the food and alcohol there too. It was awesome.

Havasu1986
11-16-2006, 10:01 PM
I would highly recommend Cancun. We stayed here Moon Palace (http://www.palaceresorts.com/Resorts/MoonPalace/Index.asp). It was the best. It is such a large resort we rarely left. There is so many restaurants that have incredible food onsite. You get an arm band and you can go to any of the other Palace Resorts around and get all the food and alcohol there too. It was awesome.
I played golf there twice, great course. A $500 add for the golf package. We were down at the Aventura. Really nice but no beach. Does the Moon Palace allow kids. We always go with adults only.

Sotally Tober
11-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Yes Moon Palace is great for kids. We took our first son when he was one. I wish it was just the mrs. and me though. They do have an adults only place farther south. When we went they gave both the wife and I a free round of golf. We did not even use it. Should have given it to you.

Sotally Tober
11-16-2006, 10:07 PM
The beach was not perfect. They would rake it every morning. The pool was so big and where the action was. It is better than the beach. It had swim up bars. It was hard to leave the pool.

socalmoney
11-16-2006, 10:08 PM
looks very nice,so no hidden fees or time share sells?what did it run for a week with flight?
We went there for 7 days and it was about 5k for both of us including air. We book with Apple Vacations. No pressure and they always include a transfer from the airport. I don't think they have time share there, we were never bothered with that. The room are superb. Large Jacuzzi tub for two, walk in shower with dual shower heads, wireless internet, premium liquor all inclusive including a wine list that wasn't too shabby. There is a butler on every floor to help you with ironing, bed turn down, booze in the room etc. The food like I said for an all inclusive was the best we have ever had. The gym and spa was great. When we went, our stay was cut short by Hurricane Wilma. We plan on going back again in May.

MayDaze
11-17-2006, 09:15 AM
We went there for 7 days and it was about 5k for both of us including air. We book with Apple Vacations. No pressure and they always include a transfer from the airport. I don't think they have time share there, we were never bothered with that. The room are superb. Large Jacuzzi tub for two, walk in shower with dual shower heads, wireless internet, premium liquor all inclusive including a wine list that wasn't too shabby. There is a butler on every floor to help you with ironing, bed turn down, booze in the room etc. The food like I said for an all inclusive was the best we have ever had. The gym and spa was great. When we went, our stay was cut short by Hurricane Wilma. We plan on going back again in May.
You lost me what place was this? Planning a Honeymoon in June...

MayDaze
11-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Has anyone been to The Sandals in Antigua, St. Lucia or Bahamas? I also heard Turks and Caicos with Club Med is pretty nice?

gmocnik
11-17-2006, 09:48 AM
The Aventura Spa Palace in Cancun was outstanding...Adults only...
B+ food...more than adequate but not 5 star, pools were nice, rooms great, fun night club (mostly techno crap but booze fixes that) they say no tipping but a few $$$ gets you a much better drink!!!
Access to the other Palace Resorts by shuttle..Aventura did not have a "beach" but we went down the road to the sister resort and the beach was awesome...
stopped at the Moon Palace on the way back to the airport...yikes!!! kids everywhere!!!!

socalmoney
11-17-2006, 10:04 AM
The Aventura Spa Palace in Cancun was outstanding...Adults only...
B+ food...more than adequate but not 5 star, pools were nice, rooms great, fun night club (mostly techno crap but booze fixes that) they say no tipping but a few $$$ gets you a much better drink!!!
Access to the other Palace Resorts by shuttle..Aventura did not have a "beach" but we went down the road to the sister resort and the beach was awesome...
stopped at the Moon Palace on the way back to the airport...yikes!!! kids everywhere!!!!
When you stay at LeBlanc you have access to all Palace resorts but they do not have access to LeBlanc.

EmpirE231
11-17-2006, 10:31 AM
If you don't want to worry about anything but your next cocktail... and dont mind not doing sandals.... you should look into the fiesta americana @ grand los cabos!! best relaxing time of my life!! look into it... they should have some all inclusive packages! don't have to worry about anyone bothering you except for the guy asking what your next drink will be... and it's just a 10 minuet cab ride into town to cabo san lucas... and hit all the fun spots (cab wabo, gigillin marlin, squid roe) :)

Havasu1986
11-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Has anyone been to The Sandals in Antigua, St. Lucia or Bahamas? I also heard Turks and Caicos with Club Med is pretty nice?
I have been to Sandals in the Bahamas and St. Lucia. Bahamas was ok. It took 3 planes to get to St. Lucia from LAX. I prefer Sandals Negril or Ocho Rios in Jamaica.

MayDaze
11-17-2006, 11:12 AM
I have been to Sandals in the Bahamas and St. Lucia. Bahamas was ok. It took 3 planes to get to St. Lucia from LAX. I prefer Sandals Negril or Ocho Rios in Jamaica.
Thanks for the info

RUSHIN ROULETTE
11-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Couples Negril in Jamaica is really nice, they also have three other locations all around Jamaica.

Kilrtoy
11-17-2006, 12:17 PM
AGREED, Cancun is way nicer

Waist Deep
11-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Heading out to Beaches Negril tonite for 8 days. Love the place. That Red Stripe beer gets a little old though.

boatnam2
11-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Heading out to Beaches Negril tonite for 8 days. Love the place. That Red Stripe beer gets a little old though.
shoot me a pm when you get home and let me know how it was.

Havasu1986
11-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Don't forget on Thanksgiving day, the people that are staying at Hedonism down at the end of the beach have a Spanksgiving day parade. They walk along the beach in skimpy costumes. Kinda funny, but not a pretty sight for some of them.

ULTRA28
11-17-2006, 01:01 PM
We're heading to St. Lucia in a couple of weeks. We've never done a Sandals vacation before. I'll take the lap top and post some pics from there.

boatnam2
11-17-2006, 01:04 PM
sounds good john thanks.

Havasu1986
11-17-2006, 01:07 PM
We're heading to St. Lucia in a couple of weeks. We've never done a Sandals vacation before. I'll take the lap top and post some pics from there.
Which Sandals. We stayed at the Regency St Lucia

Waist Deep
11-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Damn, we were there two years ago and didnt even know about the parade. I'll be on the lookout this year.

ULTRA28
11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Which Sandals. We stayed at the Regency St Lucia
The tickets Sandals Grande St. Lucian, Ultra Luxury Beach Rondoval Suite. I'm not sure if that tells what one it is. We had our travel agent book it. I haven't really done any research on this whole vacation. I'm wanting to just kind of kick it around the pool and do some scuba diving.

Havasu1986
11-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Damn, we were there two years ago and didnt even know about the parade. I'll be on the lookout this year.
They may not make it down that far down to Beaches.

blender over
11-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Sandals I've been to: Jamaica Dunns River and Negril, St Lucia Grand and the Royal Bahamian in the Bahamas. Been to Aventura in Cancun. All inclusive is the only way to go. 5k for 2 is about right. Book it now the snowbirds like it there. Jamaica is our favorite.
Wow, i went to Sandals in Jamaica, and it sucked baddddddddddddddd!!!
Left after 2nd day, and we were susspose to be there for 7 days.
VERY DIRTY :mad: Had to wear sandals in the shower :yuk:

Havasu1986
11-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Wow, i went to Sandals in Jamaica, and it sucked baddddddddddddddd!!!
Left after 2nd day, and we were susspose to be there for 7 days.
VERY DIRTY :mad: Had to wear sandals in the shower :yuk:
It depends on what Sandals you go to. The couple around the Airport are old. The newer ones are really nice. Jamaica isn't for everyone.

AirtimeLavey
11-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Did Sandals Negril this past June, and loved it. Ate, drank, zip lined through the jungle canopy, ate, drank, snorkled through caves, ate, drank, cliff jumped at Rick's Cafe during a sunset cruise, ate, drank, got a spa massage that was awesome after some brief moments of intense pain, ate, drank, sailed, ate, drank, played v-ball on the beach and in the pool, ate, drank, met a lot of cool people from everywhere around the world (mostly Americans), ate, drank, climbed and dove under beautiful waterfalls.
The Jamaican cities/towns are very poor. You almost feel like you're in T.J., but in English. Drives through the countryside are beautiful. Incredible scenery. Scuba is included, but I had a head cold, and couldn't dive. You'll love it. I talked to others that had been to other Sandals, and they said they liked Negril as one of the best. We'd go back, for sure, but we'll try some others first. Can't beat the all inclusive thing.
If you go, hit up the Italian restaurant on the beach and the beach grill (11p - 6a). AT the grill, go for the jerk chicken quesadillas. You'll get hooked. Watch out for the rumrunners. Them seem harmless and frufru...but they'll sneak up on you.
Ya Mon! It's no problem, mon. Just don't have a situation, mon. :cool:
Also, don't buy the ganja from the guy selling in front of the cop. The cop won't pop him, but he'll sure as shiz pop you!
Don't worry, they don't come onto the Sandals property, but they are at each end, just over the line! Have a good trip! :cool: