PDA

View Full Version : gas tank question.

Riverat84
01-22-2006, 12:51 PM
is it possible to create a bigger gas tank system maybe in the bow....say 40 gallons instead of the twin 10's that i have? has anyone ever done this? i'd like to be on the boat a little longer than i've been able to be. i've just never heard of it yet. has anyone done this? thanx in advance...

Squirtcha?
01-22-2006, 01:46 PM
You can do it, but most guys are tearing em out of the bow.
From what I've read over the years (never had a bow tank
myself) it seems that they'll really throw off the weight and
balance thing. It'll cause the boat to ride bow heavy and scrub
off a considerable amount of speed.
I suppose if you just filled it when you wanted to take a lengthy
cruise and you weren't concerned about top end, it wouldn't be
a big deal.
If this is yours, you have a nice looking boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3267big_pic.JPG

Rexone
01-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Bow tank will definitely make the boat ride wet (bow heavy) when tank is full. Consider having a belly tank built for the center between the stringers under the floorboard. Many race boats utilize this system for weight distribution and large volume. I have a Hallett Vector twin outboard with a 90 gallon belly tank (actually 2 45's), works well. It would require removing the floor and a custom tank build though, not a simple bolt together deal.

Riverat84
01-22-2006, 03:36 PM
alright....yeah thats my boat...bought it in september, thanx. yeah that build sounds like it would cost SO MUCH money but the best idea i've heard yet. thanx for the info guys.

sanger rat
01-22-2006, 04:12 PM
What about having your ten's made longer? Cut a end off. wrap a new piece of aluminum around, then have the end welded back up.

Riverat84
01-22-2006, 04:14 PM
thats a damn good idea....i have a buddy that has a machine shop...you think they do that? or do you know of another place? thanx for the info bud.

sanger rat
01-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm sure they could. Be sure to take them to a radiator-gas tank place and have them flushed out before you have anybody welding on them.

Riverat84
01-22-2006, 04:29 PM
oh hell yeah! that'd be nice to have an explosion at my expense would'nt it?

Ken F
01-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Looks like you have quite a bit of room in your gunnels....
What I did when building my new cheyenne tunnel was make up a pattern of each end of the tank out of 1/4" plywood-faxed it to IMCO tank co. and they made custom tanks for my boat. Ended up holding 24.4 gal. on each side.
Ken F
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5520DCP_4124cr.jpg

Riverat84
01-22-2006, 04:34 PM
SICK!....how does your hull float after the bigger tanks? same? lower?.....how much did it realisticly cost you? that sounds like a great idea...they both do.

Ken F
01-22-2006, 06:40 PM
It doesn't really seem to make it sit lower in the water, but then again it was a new boat, so I never had smaller tanks!
Do a google search for IMCO fuel Tanks & give them a call. Believe they are located in Pheonix. Good part is, they are CG approved.
You wouldn't have to go that large, I just boat on a big lake, and like to be able to cruz all day without having to fill up on expensive marina gas!
KenF

455Rocket
01-22-2006, 07:24 PM
I had a 74 Tahiti... The previous owner had a custom bow tank make by IMCO... from what I remember the reciept showed about $400. The tounge weight on the trailer was unbelievable when full... like 300-400+ pounds, you can imagine what it did to the ride

maxwedge
01-22-2006, 07:51 PM
I had this large tank in the bow of my Sidewinder until a few days ago. It does make the boat extremely nose heavy, slower, and hard to steer at low speeds when it's full. The rest of the time it just pisses me off that I can't put my legs under the dash. It's older and looks like it's made of coated steel but it's really in very good shape. I don't do long distance runs in my boat so it's yours (or anybody elses?) free if you remove it from my garage in IL. I'll even throw in the gas that's in it. :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2890tank.JPG

Riverat84
01-22-2006, 07:52 PM
yeah for sure i didnt even think about the tounge increase....my trailer basically ballances itself so there's prolly only about 50-60 lbs. of weight on my tongue....the ride already sucks. thanx for the info ill look em up.

78Southwind
01-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Imco is in San Dimas California. I was just there picking up some gas tank brackets good guys give them a call.
http://www.imcomarine.com/calindex.html

robk
01-22-2006, 10:33 PM
I had a 74 Tahiti... The previous owner had a custom bow tank make by IMCO... from what I remember the reciept showed about $400. The tounge weight on the trailer was unbelievable when full... like 300-400+ pounds, you can imagine what it did to the ride
Haha... I removed that tank (for some rework) and expected the tongue to be lighter -- nope.
By the way, (not to threadjack, here) does anyone in the Orange County CA area have the correct setup to weld aluminum? I need two of the fittings moved on my tank -- all the prep work is done (tank de-gassed, holes drilled, etc), all that needs to be done is lay down no more than a foot of weld. I've already contacted IMCO and might as well buy a new tank for how much they want to do it. It kills me, I'm set up do just about any type of welding, except aluminum of course.
Rob

maxwedge
01-22-2006, 11:04 PM
To bad your not in CT.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103223

robk
01-22-2006, 11:12 PM
To bad your not in CT.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103223
Yeah, I saw that. I've been going back and forth about buying a high-freq unit for my Miller... but just can't justify the cost.

1tricky1
01-22-2006, 11:15 PM
is it possible to create a bigger gas tank system maybe in the bow....say 40 gallons instead of the twin 10's that i have? has anyone ever done this? i'd like to be on the boat a little longer than i've been able to be. i've just never heard of it yet. has anyone done this? thanx in advance...
Riverrat84, that is a very nice looking ride! If your concerned at all about top speed Sqirtcha is right, the bow tank will definitely scrub speed and affect handling. I have a friend with a 77 witchcraft with an aftermarket bow tank that he wants to get rid of due to it making the boat plow in the front. These jets are super sensitive to weight. It might actually help it turn better, (if you like that sorta thing :confused: )
I have 2 side tanks, 20 gallons ea. and i can definitely tell it sits lower in the water with full tanks. I can almost read the fuel level on how low it sits in the water. I am also about 4 mph faster on a 1/4 tank compared to full. Although I might be more sensitive since I'm a tunnel. Sounds like the extension of your current tanks is the hot ticket! :idea:

old rigger
01-23-2006, 07:13 AM
By the way, (not to threadjack, here) does anyone in the Orange County CA area have the correct setup to weld aluminum?
Rob
Hey Rob,
It's not in the OC but here in Long Beach on Signial Hill theres a GREAT llittle shop that I've used a bunch called 'weld temp'. Last time I had anything done it was to relocate some fittings on my tanks and also to weld up a crack on a exhaust manifold that had been in a freeze. Guy's really good at alum stuff.
Don't have a number, but he should be in the book.

robk
01-23-2006, 07:28 AM
Hey Rob,
It's not in the OC but here in Long Beach on Signial Hill theres a GREAT llittle shop that I've used a bunch called 'weld temp'. Last time I had anything done it was to relocate some fittings on my tanks and also to weld up a crack on a exhaust manifold that had been in a freeze. Guy's really good at alum stuff.
Don't have a number, but he should be in the book.
Thanks, I'll give them a call!

455Rocket
01-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Haha... I removed that tank (for some rework) and expected the tongue to be lighter -- nope.
Say what??
I don't belive ya!

Riverat84
01-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Riverrat84, that is a very nice looking ride! If your concerned at all about top speed Sqirtcha is right, the bow tank will definitely scrub speed and affect handling. I have a friend with a 77 witchcraft with an aftermarket bow tank that he wants to get rid of due to it making the boat plow in the front. These jets are super sensitive to weight. It might actually help it turn better, (if you like that sorta thing :confused: )
I have 2 side tanks, 20 gallons ea. and i can definitely tell it sits lower in the water with full tanks. I can almost read the fuel level on how low it sits in the water. I am also about 4 mph faster on a 1/4 tank compared to full. Although I might be more sensitive since I'm a tunnel. Sounds like the extension of your current tanks is the hot ticket! :idea:
yeah sounds to me like its the most practical pricewise and when it comes to functionality...anyone know where i can get this craft done? i dont even know what kind of metal my tanks are..they have to be aluminum cuz stainless just sounds too heavy...rich do you have a clue?. thanks everyone.

robk
01-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Say what??
I don't belive ya!
I didn't believe it either. It made me think of my jet ski racing days, when everybody glassed lead into the bows of their skis to keep the noses from porpoising.
I swear, there must be a few thousand $$$ in gold bars glassed into the floor of the bow or something....
Rob

robk
01-23-2006, 10:14 PM
yeah sounds to me like its the most practical pricewise and when it comes to functionality...anyone know where i can get this craft done? i dont even know what kind of metal my tanks are..they have to be aluminum cuz stainless just sounds too heavy...rich do you have a clue?. thanks everyone.
Old Rigger suggested Weld Temp in L.B. (closed to you) and another place I'm trying out is Pendarvis Manufacturing (714) 992-0950 in Anaheim who specialize in aluminum work.