PDA

View Full Version : Some people with Rhinos just don't take no for an answer

wsuwrhr
11-18-2006, 10:05 AM
A couple months ago I was asked to make some billet suspension arms for a company building custom Rhino's.
I thought it would be a cool idea, side by sides are booming right now.
He already had prints, which is always a plus, since I don't have to engineer the part for free it seems, just to get the job.
He shows me the prints and as I am looking them over they are WEAK. I don't mean styling weak.
They looked real nice for something for show, or something that wasn't going to go out in the dunes and be jumped.
3/4 thick bar/plate machined down on the sides with a cool design. Windows everywhere, real small spars too. He wouldn't change the design, wouldn't budge a 1/16 of an inch.
Anyhoooo.....I turned the job down. The money was there, and he even offered more money when I said I wouldn't build them. He wasn't very happy with me either.
I may be liable if something happened because of their malfunction, I may not. I am not sure. I just didn't have a good feeling about it.
So he shows up yesterday with a sweet looking Rhino in tow to show off his arms he found someone else to make. The picture I had in my head what they would look like when done was exactly what they looked like "in the flesh."
Whoever built them did a nice job, I couldn't have done better myself. But man do they look weak.
Brian

Daytona100
11-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Always go with your gut feeling. People like that are sue happy not worth it.

BIGRRNU
11-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Always go with your gut feeling. People like that are sue happy not worth it.
Daytona is right follow your gut. You know when you don't it always comes back to bite you in the butt. And you kick yourself for knowing better in the first place. You were wise to pass, let your instincts rule.

Forkin' Crazy
11-18-2006, 10:24 AM
I may be liable if something happened because of their malfunction, I may not. I am not sure. I just didn't have a good feeling about it.
I think you did right. Just cause you have money doesn't mean that you don't lack in common sense. You maybe reading about him and how shitty the control arms were... And you know he "told" the guy that made the parts to make them bigger and stronger, but you refused. :idea:
If you would have made them, you might have gotten into a lawsuit with a baller and a baller-trial-lawyer... and WE ALL KNOW how much trouble they can be!!! :mad:

socalmoney
11-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Integrity counts for a lot. You made the right choice.

ratso
11-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Liability???
The cheap asses are the first ones in line to sue you, or be the cause of you getting sued. :yuk:

Riomouse911
11-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Your rep building a quality product is gold. If you put your name on something you build, and it snaps the first trip out, who is eveyone gonna hear about? Certainly not the guy who asked for the flawed thing to be built, but the builder/fabricator who did it.
I've seen lots of folks (from the rhino nation to the raider nation) who'll go for the flashiest things out there, and then whine like a 3 year old when it fails or falls apart. I'd say you were right on when you turned it down.

Chipster27
11-18-2006, 12:35 PM
...I may be liable if something happened because of their malfunction, I may not. I am not sure. I just didn't have a good feeling about it....
Brian
If I had an ounce of common sense I'd register the domain IrolledMyRhino.com then sell it to Larry Parker. Of course if I had an ounce of common sense I would'nt have just posted this :cry:
In the long run you did the right thing. Even if you would have had the customer sign a limit of liability clause I'm sure you would have been burned. Some risks are not worth taking.

BreastManWins
11-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Musta been a baller who did the design. All show no go.

YeLLowBoaT
11-18-2006, 11:19 PM
I don't know about you, but if your machinest says something looks a little weak( and you don't have a engineer saying its plenty strong) It may be a good idea to double check everything.
Then again when it breaks you can always charge him double for one that won't.

SmokinLowriderSS
11-19-2006, 02:09 AM
I think you were wise to refuse the job.
Try to keep an eye out on the situation and see if/when the parts start failing, and watch what happens. Fortunately, you get to watch from the OUTSIDE on this one.
Best to ya wsuwrhr

RitcheyRch
11-19-2006, 07:19 AM
You did the right thing. Better to build a quality product that does the job it was intended to do than to build something for show only.

Itsahobby
11-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Now it is time to design some "strong" bling ones, build a few and wait for the others to start breaking :crossx:
$$$