PDA

View Full Version : debating on pump rebild or replace???

socalmoney
11-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Thinking of rebuilding this pump. Or should I just run it till I get what I need to convert it to a split bowl? If I do change it, what would I need to do to it and what would something like that run me.
Here is what I have now. I am pretty sure it is a 12JC and I want a 12JG. Correct me if I am wrong.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7935DSCN1326.JPG

Jetaholic
11-18-2006, 01:13 PM
I say rebuild it, but change the bowl over to a 12JG bowl. I do believe you can put a split bowl onto a JC suction housing. In the long run, rebuilding would be cheaper than buying a new pump.

Oldsquirt
11-18-2006, 01:13 PM
You have a JC. The only difference between that and a JG is the split bowl of the JG. If the pump needs to be rebuilt, just do that and install a split bowl at the same time. Keep in mind the only reason for going with a split bowl is to allow the installation of droops, snoots, wedges etc. If you dont plan on that, then the JC bowl will be just fine.

Nucking futs
11-18-2006, 01:48 PM
You have a JC. The only difference between that and a JG is the split bowl of the JG. If the pump needs to be rebuilt, just do that and install a split bowl at the same time. Keep in mind the only reason for going with a split bowl is to allow the installation of droops, snoots, wedges etc. If you dont plan on that, then the JC bowl will be just fine.
I also hear the jc bowl is better with the longer vains.

socalmoney
11-18-2006, 01:50 PM
I do want a droop and divirter so I guess I should get the JG bowl. What parts would I need then to do this conversion.
Bowl
Nozzel Housing
Droop Snoot
Nozzel.
I could use my impeller, reverse gate, rudder etc?

Oldsquirt
11-18-2006, 03:01 PM
JC and JG are exactly the same except for the bowl. All other parts interchange.
Since you don't have a diverter, I would suggest putting your money into that before the bowl swap or addition of a droop or straight snoot. The ability to trim the boat out for varying water conditions would be a better "bang for the buck" than those other mods. Even with a droop or snoot, you would want the diverter, so you might as well start there.
Have you ever run this boat? From a couple of your other posts it sounds like it is new to you and hasn't been used in years. Might not be a bad idea to give it a water test and get some actual performance numbers before getting into pump rebuild or modifications. You may also want to check with some of the pump shops to find out if they have any real world experience with adding a droop or snoot on that hull to see if it will even respond to the change.

socalmoney
11-18-2006, 05:34 PM
JC and JG are exactly the same except for the bowl. All other parts interchange.
Since you don't have a diverter, I would suggest putting your money into that before the bowl swap or addition of a droop or straight snoot. The ability to trim the boat out for varying water conditions would be a better "bang for the buck" than those other mods. Even with a droop or snoot, you would want the diverter, so you might as well start there.
Have you ever run this boat? From a couple of your other posts it sounds like it is new to you and hasn't been used in years. Might not be a bad idea to give it a water test and get some actual performance numbers before getting into pump rebuild or modifications. You may also want to check with some of the pump shops to find out if they have any real world experience with adding a droop or snoot on that hull to see if it will even respond to the change.
The boat has been sitting since 99. I just put a new trailer under it and rebuilt the carb. I need to drain the gas, prime the motor, charge the batt and fire her up. I will most likely make no changes to the motor or jet for a season or two. The glass and gel are in great shape and I want to get some decent interior in first before I start dumping money into the motor.
I think a diverter is a good place to start when I am ready. I hope to have the motor turning in the next few weekends. I want to make sure it will crank at home and then take it to Elsinore and submerge it and tune it up a bit. If all is well, I will be boating. I need to trace some wiring and make sure my blower and bildge pump is working. I think those need some attention from what I remember. Thanks for the advise

beerjet
11-18-2006, 06:08 PM
I was always led to believe that a droop wont benefit a boat that big unless you have 700 hp . A straight snoot makes more sense to me but I have no eperience with either . I would definatly get a diverter for it though. That will definatly help. I just stuck a fresh jg pump on my cruiser and tommorrow I might see what it does. Definatly rebuild it though , get on the water so you can see if any mods are actually working or harming your performance. I've personally never seen a cruiser with a droop on it . (I'm sure someone has or has one) Start with what you got .
-beerjet-