PDA

View Full Version : stereo system upgrade

quadracr
11-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Looking to upgrade a little and need a little advice. I've picked out some pieces that I think will work well together. Obviously I am on a budget and just want a nice system, doesn't need to be heard 3 miles away. Let me have it
JVC KD DV6200
Polk Audio DB650 8 of these
Kicker Comp VR104 2 of these
JBL GTO 75.4 II 3 of these 1 will be bridged for the subs
And some kind of 10 monitor for the receiver

thmper321
11-19-2006, 09:59 PM
I really don't know too much about Polk speakers but my opinion would be to use 6x9's as much as possible. They are more efficient than 6.5" speakers. JBL Amps are good but I would use a mono amp for the subs. Kicker VR10.4 subs will yield a 1 ohm load which will work good with a monoblock amp not a 4 channel amp. So two 75.4 amps and a 600W mono amp would do the job better. If you are having the work done by a stereo shop I would recommend having them build a ported or bandpass box. Both of these enclosures work well in open environments such as a boat the bandpass being the best. They are more difficult to build because they have to be done correctly to work best and that is why I would recommend having a professional build the box for you. If you are doing it yourself and building a sealed enclosure then load the woofers under the bow or under the dashboard. This will help with the acoustical loading.

ROZ
11-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Bandpass for a boat? Only if he likes street bass and plans to run it within narrow fq range...

h2oski2fast
11-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I really don't know too much about Polk speakers but my opinion would be to use 6x9's as much as possible. They are more efficient than 6.5" speakers. JBL Amps are good but I would use a mono amp for the subs. Kicker VR10.4 subs will yield a 1 ohm load which will work good with a monoblock amp not a 4 channel amp. So two 75.4 amps and a 600W mono amp would do the job better. If you are having the work done by a stereo shop I would recommend having them build a ported or bandpass box. Both of these enclosures work well in open environments such as a boat the bandpass being the best. They are more difficult to build because they have to be done correctly to work best and that is why I would recommend having a professional build the box for you. If you are doing it yourself and building a sealed enclosure then load the woofers under the bow or under the dashboard. This will help with the acoustical loading.
Maybe you should stop recommending. I agree with ROZ, but what do I know anyway.
A sealed enclosure will yield the most output over the widest frequency band, including a higher output at lower frequencies. It will also have better control of the speaker, when pushing it to the limits of the amps dampening factor, w/ a much more musical sound.
If you are going to run a bandpass enclosure make sure you have them put a window in it where you can see the speaker. You can't aesily hear the distortion, so the window will let you watch the speaker when it starts to smoke the voicc coil.

quadracr
11-20-2006, 06:03 PM
OK guys, I'm thinkin your disagreeing with the whole idea of a bandpass for the boat :crossx: Cool, wasn't going to go that in depth anyway. So any thoughts on what I picked out?

thmper321
11-20-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm not in total disagreement with anybody. If a bandpass is not done right, all you would do is fry speakers and have a crappy sounding stereo. Quadracer if you live in Southern California talk to The Audio Shoppe in Riverside or Audio Innovations in Glendora. Both of these shops are well versed in boat systems. I have heard boats from both these shop and they both know what they are doing.

quadracr
11-21-2006, 06:13 PM
I thought my location was there, I'll have to fix that. I'm in Phoenix, AZ

ROZ
11-21-2006, 10:38 PM
I thought my location was there, I'll have to fix that. I'm in Phoenix, AZ
There's a good shop near the corner of stapley and elliot... PM magic34 and a good refrence.. I believe he knows the owners....

Cole Sanger
11-22-2006, 12:10 AM
There's a good shop near the corner of stapley and elliot... PM magic34 and a good refrence.. I believe he knows the owners....
Stapley turns into Cooper south of the 60 (at Baseline). Trust me, unless it is someone's house, it is not near Cooper and Elliot. I live one block south at Cooper and Warner. The closest shops I know of are at Elliot and Mcqueen or north of the 60 at Gilbert and Southern. I can't recommend either of them. Magic34 knows everyone. Good advise to PM him.

ROZ
11-22-2006, 02:17 AM
Stapley turns into Cooper south of the 60 (at Baseline). Trust me, unless it is someone's house, it is not near Cooper and Elliot. I live one block south at Cooper and Warner. The closest shops I know of are at Elliot and Mcqueen or north of the 60 at Gilbert and Southern. I can't recommend either of them. Magic34 knows everyone. Good advise to PM him.
I know there's a shop somewhere around there...lol.. West of that private ski lake... Everytime I drive by, which is not that often ( I'm in San Diego), I see a Hummer or two out there..
My uncle lives in your general area. In the housing on the southeast corner.. of cooper/elliot..

riverroyal
11-22-2006, 07:50 PM
I know there's a shop somewhere around there...lol.. West of that private ski lake... Everytime I drive by, which is not that often ( I'm in San Diego), I see a Hummer or two out there..
My uncle lives in your general area. In the housing on the southeast corner.. of cooper/elliot..
:rollside:

Magic34
11-26-2006, 12:12 AM
There are 3 that I would recommed.
First, if you have not purchased your mids/highs, I would look at Focal. Also, I am a fan of the 6.5" round speakers. I think they sound better being round, not oval. The 4 pairs of 6.5" Focal in my boat now are much more loud and clear than my 6 pairs of MB quart in my last boat with similar power.
The first shop is Arizona Auto Werks. They have an extensive list of clients. They just moved into a huge new building they built off of McClintock and University. It can fit 40'+ boats in the bays. They are a little on the pricey side, but they do most of my stuff because they are really good and I never have an issue getting anything taken care of. Many of my friends use them. A good firnd just got a sick system put in his 38' Top Gun from AAW. I am tight with the owners there and they do really good work. Call and talk to Kris, and he will shoot you straight if you let him know what you are looking for and what your budget is. They are boaters as well so they know what sounds good in boats. Kris will tell you if they can help or not within your budget. http://www.azwerks.com/ 480-517-1111 Tell him Michael with the 34' Magic sent you.
Next is Total Auto Pros. They are probably the best bang for the buck of the 3 I am listing. I know the owners well and they are boaters too. I buy all of my wheels and accessories from them and they take good care of me and people I send there. Last time I was down there I saw a Denali with a very nice and custom system they were just finishing. Talk to Scott, and tell him Michael (same info above) sent you and he will take great care of you. 602-280-7767 http://www.totalautopros.com/
Last would be Unique Car Audio on McQueen and Elliot. The owners are nice guys. Ask for Sean there. They have done 1-2 things for me, but my ex biz partner uses them for everything. They have done some really nice stuff, but I have also seen some so-so stuff come out of there as you would from many shops. This will probably be in the middle of the road of the 3 I listed. They are a great shop and have a nice facility. They have been around a long time in the valley as well. http://www.uniquecaraudio.net
For the impressive audio/visual shops AAW would be #1, then Unique, but for budget TAP is probably the way to go. I would still call the others and see what they could do to get a feel for what you are looking for and if they can do it in your budget.
On the ported or sealed deal, the sealed will sound better in the boat, but if you want everyone to hear your bass, go with the ported. Sealed will make all types of music sound better, expecially rock. For hip hop, ported is what most like. In my mind, it is a toss up depending on what your boat is like, but 7 times out of 10 a sealed box is better for the application.
Good luck. Oh, and dont forget, you are going to need more battery.

Magic34
11-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Did you call any of the 3?