PDA

View Full Version : Engine combo questions....

26ftSleekcraft
11-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Ok, so I just picked up this 26' sleekcraft day cruiser project. I've never built an engine for a boat before, but I've built many for automotive drag racing. In my garage, I have a freshly bored 454 block. Now, I don't want to go all out on this motor, just 10 to 1 comp, Speed pro pistons, tunnel ram intake(2 600cfm carbs), Stock heads, and the biggest cam possible. I don't expect triple digit speeds out of this boat but I would like to get as much performance as possible while using the parts I already have. My questions are as follows:
The hull has a Volvo 280 outdrive. How much power can these units handle?
How many of RPM's will the motor be turning at full throttle?
What cam would you recommend? Or what power band should I try to get into?
Thanks for any help you can give.
George

HTRDLNCN
11-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Hope this helps..
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110262&goto=nextnewest

SmokinLowriderSS
11-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Ok, so I just picked up this 26' sleekcraft day cruiser project. I've never built an engine for a boat before, but I've built many for automotive drag racing. In my garage, I have a freshly bored 454 block. Now, I don't want to go all out on this motor, just 10 to 1 comp,
Would be a good call on the CR IMO, and run premium.
Speed pro pistons,
Powerforged, I don't think you can do better on a budget.
tunnel ram intake(2 600cfm carbs),
You'll run stronger with a free-breathing dual-plane like a Edelbrock Performer RPM, Air Gap model or not.
Stock heads, and
what heads do you have? Large oval port open chambers I hope. 353049 castings are fairly comon and good performers up to a point, where they respond well to porting. Their predecessor, the '781 castings are getting scarce these days but are identical (within a few cc's).
the biggest cam possible.
Watch your duration, I would stay, especially with an outdrive at most 280* seat to seat (I think that's arround 240* @ .050") to keep the idle managable, as well as peak the HP right arround 5,000 RPM or a bit above.
I'm really happy with the responsiveness and power I am getting from a .565" lift Isky hydraulic I am running. Mine is an Isky 280H (sorta) but it's a custom grind for faster ramp speeds that has worked very well in lake jet-boats for DuaneHTP's experience, and works great in mine. I think the powerband would fit you very well.
I don't expect triple digit speeds out of this boat but I would like to get as much performance as possible while using the parts I already have. My questions are as follows:
The hull has a Volvo 280 outdrive. How much power can these units handle?
How many of RPM's will the motor be turning at full throttle?
What cam would you recommend? Or what power band should I try to get into?
Thanks for any help you can give.
George
PM me all the info on your motor you have and I can build engines on an electronic dyno program, but I need good info, including exhaust, intake, and head castings.