PDA

View Full Version : Neovane Water Pump???????Help

DansBlown73Nordic
07-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Can I just change the pump or do I need to change the drive on cam? I have had my fill of this Neovane deal. I changed impellers and the new one is missing a blade already..... burningm
I have a new style....Magna flow. Will the old drive work???

Cole Man II
07-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Before you give up, give it one more try. The new impeller could have been old, or maybe you didn't use enough lube on the blades.
Good luck,
Cole Man.

dmontzsta
07-07-2003, 03:36 PM
I went through this same thing a couple of weeks ago...I was told you do not have to change gears...although I ended up going back to the belt driven pump, since I have always had the best of luck with it. I went through two brand new neovanes and they basically just cracked and fell apart.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-07-2003, 03:51 PM
It was a brand new impellar from Rex. It seams good and soft and I lubed with some WD-40 like the directions said. I don't very often read directions... :D

dossangers
07-07-2003, 04:04 PM
Dans66Stevens:
Can I just change the pump or do I need to change the drive on cam? I have had my fill of this Neovane deal. I changed impellers and the new one is missing a blade already..... burningm
I have a new style....Magna flow. Will the old drive work??? pull the old one off and compare if its the same go for it. Ive had good luck with the neovane the only thing they dont like is runing DRY!!

AzDon
07-07-2003, 04:11 PM
I've got two neovanes that I retired for good after problems like yours. The shaft will actually wear to the point that it will suck air from the back side and your first indication is a near-meltdown! Magnaflow moves double the water, has excellent impeller, and isn't very expensive, when you consider the value of your engine! It's foolish economy to afford patience and understanding to a tempermental neovane while risking an engine. One more thing: Be sure to retrieve ALL the missing impeller pieces or you WILL have overheating problems!!

GofastRacer
07-07-2003, 06:22 PM
I sure can't understand all these problems that everyone has with the Neovane, just don't make sense. I bought my first boat in 73 and it had a Neovane on it and it wasn't new then, since then it has been on 4 boats and I just put my 3rd impeller in last September!. :rolleyes:

SK48
07-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Gofast, you are a lucky man. I never run stuff dry, and I can't make a neovane last just sitting in the boat during storage. I have never had a problem in the last ten years (knock on wood) since I changed to Magnaflow pumps. The impeller blades are huge compared to a neovane. My new v-drive has a big mercruiser stern drive pump that is belt driven and puts out gallons of water.
If you have the Magnaflow pump already get the parts and put it on. It is cheap insurance.

LeE ss13
07-07-2003, 07:38 PM
The Neovane in my ski boat is 9 years old. Never ever start it dry. MOST important, remove the cover if you park it for more that a week and spray it with WD-40. The Magnaflow on the Race Boat has never been changed or uncovered since 1994. They seem to be very tough. I think they pump too much water myself.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-07-2003, 07:53 PM
I've had good luck with the neovane also. After extended down time, I prime it up with a garden hose (holding it to the exit port) and let her rip!!! Those magnaflows are just too expensive for my cheap-ass!!! :D

AzDon
07-07-2003, 07:58 PM
A Magnaflow is cheaper than a weekend trip to the river and certainly cheaper than risking a meltdown!

superdave013
07-07-2003, 08:08 PM
AzDon:
One more thing: Be sure to retrieve ALL the missing impeller pieces or you WILL have overheating problems!! That's some good advice there!

GofastRacer
07-07-2003, 08:52 PM
SK48:
Gofast, you are a lucky man. I never run stuff dry, and I can't make a neovane last just sitting in the boat during storage. I have never had a problem in the last ten years (knock on wood) since I changed to Magnaflow pumps. The impeller blades are huge compared to a neovane. My new v-drive has a big mercruiser stern drive pump that is belt driven and puts out gallons of water.
If you have the Magnaflow pump already get the parts and put it on. It is cheap insurance. Thanks SK but I don't see where luck has anything to do with it. If I don't run it for a week or so, before I fire it up I squirt some WD in there so it ain't dry. Now if I'm going to let it sit for over a month, I take the cover off until I'm ready to use it again and I know several people that have the same pump and have no problems either!. BTW, depending on the type water you run in, you can get a buildup of alkalye in the cover and that will destroy an impeller especially when it's dry. The Magnaflow has an impeller same as a Neovane so what makes it better??. It is a good pump but that sucker is for a fire boat to put out fires!.Just my experience!.. :rolleyes:
BTW, I have a Magnaflow with drive for sale!.. :D

dossangers
07-07-2003, 09:11 PM
before i go to the water i always put the hose to it then fire it also magnaflo is way to much water flo to run any heat in the motor.

ssmike
07-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Well,
I use and like the Neovane pumps also.....(I have never tried the Magnaflow)
I surely don't need the water pressure from the Magnaflow!!
Anyways, I have a Neovane for sale if anyone is interested :D :D !!
[ July 07, 2003, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: ssmike ]

DansBlown73Nordic
07-07-2003, 10:28 PM
I did find a couple small pieces floating in the pump. eek! I thought I was very careful when I had it apart last time.
Can anyone tell me where I can buy a kit to rebuild these Neovane pumps? I need seals and bearings....Bearings aren't a problem but the seals?????

stump
07-08-2003, 03:31 AM
dan a guy named Dante in florida www.dragboatcity.com (http://www.dragboatcity.com) has a complete kit.Includes shaft, bearings, and seals.I think it cost about 135.00 It might be better to put the money towards a magnaflow pump.Or maby you could get the seals out and cross them over to something.

Rexone
07-08-2003, 03:37 AM
I never had problems with Neovanes but for the bucks I'd just go with a Magnaflow since Neovane parts are so rare. Magnaflow's do pump too much water for the typical flat that's not running long distance stuff. I'd just dump some of it off before it goes into the motor. They work great on 21's though. More load = need more water. :) We still sell a ton of Neovane Impellers and have had no impeller related quality problems that I'm aware of.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-08-2003, 12:39 PM
I can't imagine this pump will make to much pressure.Im running it through the motor then into the Stellings headers and then it dumps into my S pipes.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Mike, I didn't mean to sound like it was your fault...or that the part was bad. It may have gotten screwed up from the old piece floating around inside.

Rexone
07-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Dans66Stevens:
Mike, I didn't mean to sound like it was your fault...or that the part was bad. It may have gotten screwed up from the old piece floating around inside. Understood, just wanted to let you know I haven't seen any impeller problems. Usually if we get a bad batch of rubber or something we get "lots" of complaints. This hasn't happened in about the last 10 years though. :)

Thunderbutt
07-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Dan, I've had mine for 31 years, had to replace some impellers until I put on a sea strainer. This impeller has been ever since. (7 years). Like they say, don't run them dry, and lube it with w-d once in a while. Can I ask you why you go through the motor first? I go through the headers first to pre-heat the water.

spectras only
07-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Same here. I run a large neovane ["O" ringed model] with no prob, but carry a spare just in case.

ColeTR1
07-11-2003, 05:43 PM
I had problems with my Neovane pump every year. I never ran it dry. I have a Magnaflow now, its 5 years old, and have only replaced the impeller once for insurance. I restrict where the water leaves the block to get about 15lbs of backpressure in it. I used a AN pipe plug and drilled it out so its works like a jet. Then put it inside of the AN exit from the block. You can play around with the size of the jet to get the right temp. Works great!

DansBlown73Nordic
07-12-2003, 02:18 AM
I would much rather go through the headers first, however the way these Stellings headers are set-up it would look funny running a hose from the back of the header at the top and then another for the dump.
By the way these headers sound so Cool. I could win a contest at a Street Rod show... smile_sp

ss wannabe
07-13-2003, 10:11 AM
a thin layer of wheel-bearing grease on the inside of the cup has kept my neovane impeller working great for years. i also take the cover off when the boat is going to sit for long periods.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-13-2003, 11:57 AM
I ran the boat yesturday. It ran 150 temp at idle and 100 wide open. Now I need to get the temp. up. What is the best way?

DansBlown73Nordic
07-13-2003, 11:58 AM
I ran the boat yesturday. It ran 150 temp at idle and 100 wide open. Now I need to get the temp. up. What is the best way?

CircleJerk
07-14-2003, 08:49 PM
OK, now if you all are ready to simplify your system, here's what works.
One or two 90degree pickups on the cav plate.
# 10 or larger line to electric water pump {bait or camper pump or Moroso drag racing pump}.
One-way check valve before engine water intake.
#6 exit line at thermostat housing.
Final results 160-175 degrees cruising without electric pump {force feeding}
Towing skiiers or boats with pump on = 160 water temp! The Blonde towed a sick boat for 5 miles and never overheated at 5 mph! Throw the impeller pumps away I say, but then I'm the JeRk and you'll do it your way anyway! smile_sp

GofastRacer
07-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Simple hmmmm, I been running a Neovane forever!. A #12 from the pickup to the cooler, #12 to to the pump, 2 #8's to the motor, 2 #8's to a junction 1 #8 dump! Temp is 170 idling or cruising all day, run laps at 7500 temp goes to 190 max!..Bout as simple as it gets!.. :)
BTW, NO milkshakes either!! :D

CircleJerk
07-14-2003, 09:14 PM
IM confused! frown

GofastRacer
07-14-2003, 09:23 PM
Why! :D :D

DansBlown73Nordic
07-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Mr Jerkness.... :p I think you hit the nail on the head. The electric pump works the best. I have one in my Stevens. It runs 170 all the time. I even left the pump running dry once for a couple hours.... eek! And still works like a charm. smile_sp

CircleJerk
07-15-2003, 09:39 PM
why....Indeed! Ooh, I sense converts! Yes Dan, and you can start the dang motor anytime you want anywhere you may be for example: WalMart parking lot, laudromat, Drive-In, PTA meeting, etc, you get the picture! Big block tunes whenever you need a pick-me-up! And....it's cheaper!!!!! smile_sp

CircleJerk
07-15-2003, 10:00 PM
GofastRacer:
Why! :D :D Professional Plumbing should be left in the hands of a Professional....not a JeRk. smile_sp Force feed it, you'll never hydraulic it with too much water down the pipes at idle...no fancy valves...no extra rubbers to buy and carry onboard...no grease to smear...no broken impeller fins stuck in your L88 causing hot spots and overheating and cracked heads...no embarassing tows back to the ramp...and no problems MAN smile_sp ...and start the beast without a lake around or a hose bib!!!Ah....Life is good,,,no worries mate! DundieJeRk :D

DansBlown73Nordic
07-16-2003, 01:21 PM
yup I love to take the Stevens to the local Hot Rod hang out on Saturday night. Start it for the boys to get a feel for the great Big Block Tunes.... wink