PDA

View Full Version : Computer 911...I'm a dumb-ass

Outnumbered
11-21-2006, 09:22 AM
Well, a while back I posted about my HD acting up. So I went and bought a back-up HD external unit. Well, dumb-ass me put-off backing up the unit and sure enough it crashed this AM while laoding the IE 7.0 Updates.
I cannot get the computer to start windows XP in the last known working configuration from the recovery menu. It just keeps rolling back to that count down clock screen with the DOS boot options.
I have a tech company coming out this afternoon for $100 per hour but I would gladly pay someone on the boards to get me up and running again sooner than 3pm.
I'm off to buy a new machine (need one anyway) and I will be back in a few hours. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks,
Out#

TexasChopper
11-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Your machine may have a "go-back" feature where it will re-start the machine in the same status as it was say 2 days ago. check that out...otherwise lets the pro's do there thing. lost data can be a nitemare. I have have external i back-up everything too

Nord
11-21-2006, 10:27 AM
you might be able to start up in "safe mode" and delete anything that is new that might be conflicting and causing the problem.

6 Dollar Boat
11-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Sorry, but why do you use IE ? I only use FIREFOX (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/)....

Outnumbered
11-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Sorry, but why do you use IE ? I only use FIREFOX (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/)....
'cause I don't know much about computers and that is what all teh machines come with. How much is that Firefox?

Outnumbered
11-21-2006, 11:39 AM
It won't go into safe mode and the last good configuration will not load. So I guess I am fukced. :cry:

6 Dollar Boat
11-21-2006, 12:30 PM
'cause I don't know much about computers and that is what all teh machines come with. How much is that Firefox?
It's FREE.

Jyruiz
11-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Get a USB hard drive enclosure, put your HD in there, hook it up to the new PC, retrieve your data. Might not be able to get all of it, but something is better than nothing.

Shibby
11-21-2006, 12:46 PM
It won't go into safe mode and the last good configuration will not load. So I guess I am fukced. :cry:
Might not be as bad as you think. In the past a corrupted version of windows would trash your system requiring a format and reinstall, but if you happen to have XP and the original CD you can perform a "repair" install that will save all your existing data on the hard drive and rebuild the operating system.

Outnumbered
11-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks for all the help. I had an excellent techy company come out and hook up my HD to their laptop and transferred most of my files to my external HD. Cost me $200 and it was money well spent. My new machine now has an external HD back-up in use :D