PDA

View Full Version : Boat Builder

v-drive
09-16-2002, 06:14 AM
Who knows where Al Lavey is?
v-drive :cool:

Riptide01
09-16-2002, 06:31 AM
Circle Jerk may know. Send him an E-mail.

old rigger
09-17-2002, 07:00 AM
v-drive,
why don't you give the brothers that bought Lavey craft a call. They might still have a contact #, or at least be able to tell you if Al's still around.

v-drive
09-17-2002, 07:33 AM
You know I have contacted them by e-mail twice
and called once. no e-mail response and when
I called I was told to e-mail them. This is
there products heritage you would think they
would at least be some what interested.
V-drive :cool:

old rigger
09-17-2002, 09:07 AM
v-drive,
sorry to hear that.
One of my dads friends still runs a Lavey. It's the only brand he ever owned, all flatties through the 60s, 70s and part of the 80s and then he got one of Laveys whalers, an I/O, for a family boat. He knew Al pretty well, as well as a loyal customer could I guess. I'll give him a call and see if he stayed in touch with him, or knows his whereabouts.
I disagree with you about it being their products heritage. That's Al's heritage. They started a new chapter when they bought the rights to the name, and have built their own reputation, a great one at that. I bet if you called them with a question about one of their early tunnels, they'd talk you ear off.
The've probably answered more questions and heard more stories about Al Lavey and guys running his flatties then they though they ever would. I like hearing about the early boats and the builders, seeing the old canoes restored. And, obviously, you'd like to hear it too, but they're probably sick of it.

CircleJerk
09-17-2002, 09:34 AM
Lavey guy. I'm the other Lavey fan and there are many others. I emailed you what I believe to be true but I will further add that Harlan Orrin is one of the BEST craftsman-tooler around. He is definitely a WEALTH of knowledge and a fan of our Nostalgia circle boats since he drove all the way to Banks lake Wa. to view our reunion race. There was a ski-drag boat there that had come from Ca. in the 80s and the owner thought it was a Slayer-Craft made in 62. Harlan took one look at it and informed him to his disbelief that it was a Lavey. That made sense since it had such classic lines and style that I thought it must be a copy of something famous and I had never heard of Slayercraft but that didnt mean a thing since I am a relative 'baby' when it comes to v-drives. Harlan is the 'Man' when it comes to flats since he started in about 56 with Mandella and built just about all the molds. If you sent him a picture or two from different angles he would respond I'm sure. He and his wife Mary live in Fallbrook, Calif 92028, 2574 Douville Ranch Road. He also was the guy Hot Boat featured as one of the premier boat toolers. A great guy with unbelievable memory, unlike me the: JERK!!!!!!!!PS if any one out there wants a new wood deck and you are fortunate enough to have money, he is the man and he has a brand new 58 Mandella for sale as well as others........... eek!

v-drive
09-17-2002, 02:23 PM
You might be right old rigger but there still
calling it a Lavey craft. :cool: V-drive

old rigger
09-17-2002, 04:15 PM
v-drive,
It's just a name. They still call them a Howard, Ultra, Tahiti, Warlock, or who ever, but the new (or current) owners have nothing to do with the original builders. I agree with you, it would be nice to call them up and get a little info on a certain boat, but sometimes you have to do a little detective work to find out what you need.
I was hoping that the guys at Lavey would be able to steer you in the right direction, but I guess it's a no go.
Circle Jerk mentioned Harlan, great lead. He did everything but give you his #, so here it is 760 723 0767. I talked to him a few weeks ago at the races, loves to talk about the history of the boat biz......good luck. Try him in the evenings, he won't answer during the day.

09-17-2002, 06:32 PM
Also try John Sofilos of Unlimited Marine in Burlingame, Ca. His number is 650-343-3262. He claims to have the orig. molds for Rayson Craft 20' G.N. and 18' LP flat. This guy has been around since 1957 so I think he might be able to answer some questions you may have.