PDA

View Full Version : remanufactured 454

killerbeez
11-23-2006, 04:12 AM
I was thinking instead of rebuilding the one I have,just buying a reman. long block.The problem I have though is I do not know what rotation to buy.Please advise.What are your experiences with reman. engines.Are they worth it?

slotracer
11-23-2006, 07:53 AM
you have to make sure it is set for a boat.
the rings have more gap in them. not sure
how big a difference it makes.

Glencoe MiniDay
11-23-2006, 08:20 AM
There is alot of other clearances that have to be looked at as well.
The whole bottom end in a boat has differt clearences than a car does.
The crank is usuall ground no less than 10 under.
The cylinder bores usually have more clearance
The reason for this is that a boat does not have a closed cooling system to allow the clearances to be as close in a car.

Heatseeker
11-23-2006, 09:59 AM
A jet uses a standard rotation engine. The only time you'd need a reverse rotation is if you had twin engines, then the Starboard engine would be reverse rotation if at all(I'm not sure if the big offshore racer types do this or not).
Like mentioned above, the clearancing would be different on a boat engine.

Wicked Performance Boats
11-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Why take a chance on a cheap or inferior reman. Take your's out and rebuild it. Or upgrade to a new higher power one. Budlight :idea:

DUECE'SDAD
11-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Why take a chance on a cheap or inferior reman. Take your's out and rebuild it. Or upgrade to a new higher power one. Budlight :idea:
This would be my exact advice AS LONG AS . . . You have a reputable machine shop. My first few engines built were all a loss b/c of inadequete machine shop so i did by a few crate engines and reman blocks from oreillys and such. However if you have a machine shop you can very well trust you can build a much better engine with a few perfomance goodies (better pistions w/ more compression, bigger valves etc.) and it is actually a good feeling to build your own engine and have good results. If you dont know a good machinest order that reman engine QUICK !!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Rebuild is the only way to go. You have pleanty of time, summers out for a bit;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Plus do some homework. You may get more HP with more knowledge. Start asking questions in the gearheads forums. THere is great info in there along with great knowledgable guys. Also, do a search and you will be suprised;) Good luck...

SmokinLowriderSS
11-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Rebuild is the only way to go. You have pleanty of time, summers out for a bit;)
That's my choice of where to go. You know exactly how it's assembled, to what tollerances, and you learn a lot along the way (as long as you TRY to learn along the way). They're not really all that complicated, run by magic or powered by voodoo, nad one heck of am sense of pride to have a solid, strong-running engine you built yourself.
Plus do some homework. You may get more HP with more knowledge. Start asking questions in the gearheads forums. THere is great info in there along with great knowledgable guys. Also, do a search and you will be suprised;) Good luck...
VERY definitely true. We've all in here seen lots of HP, sometimes badly wasted in a badly thought-out fit for the intended use. Heck, it only costs double to build it twice. :cry:
Like DD said tho, if you have one built FOR YA, get someone who has experience in boat performance engines. The needs of a boat engine for location of muscle in the powerband are far more stringent and unforgiving than those of a car on the street or track.

LakesOnly
11-24-2006, 12:26 PM
I was thinking instead of rebuilding the one I have, just buying a reman. long block. Please advise. What are your experiences with reman. engines. Are they worth it?If you are talking about a local parts store remanufacutred longblock or a specialty engine exhange rebuilder that does motors by the thousands each month, forget it. They are built generically as low performance engines that will run on the crappiest fuel out there, are hastily put together (often in assembly line fashion by people who are not engine builders), and your boat will be DOG slow. Further, the abuse that the passenger car engine recieves in a boat--combined with the shoddy build practices--will result in a short engine life, let alone the disappointing performance. Your boat value will go down.
Instead, consider what you like about your current build, consider what you want to improve with your motor rebuild, and then take your motor apart, see what you got and build it just as needed to get the results you're after.
LO