PDA

View Full Version : So how many of you have..

shaun
11-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Thought i would do a fun little poll. I dont know how many times i've done this but you think i'd learn... or maybe i like it :)
How many of you have pulled the battery out of your boat while half your body is in the watter and went to disconnect the positive first (ya ya negitive should be first..) and wonder why every time you touch the wrench on the nut that your arm starts to tingle :p

inwo
11-25-2006, 08:09 AM
You must be the sensitive type. :)
I would remove the positive terminal with my tongue, while p**ing my pants in the water, and not feel a thing. :rollside:
Now you've got me thinking! I'll have to try it. :cry:

4trax
11-25-2006, 09:12 AM
You must be the sensitive type. :)
I would remove the positive terminal with my tongue, while p**ing my pants in the water, and not feel a thing. :rollside:
Now you've got me thinking! I'll have to try it. :cry:
Same here.Never been shocked. (By the battery anyway)

eek-a-RAT
11-25-2006, 11:03 AM
i have pulled a battery out while standing in water @ the dock.
nothing happened. im jelous,i want to get shocked! :220v:
the story goes, i got to the lake & didnt give the battery a check before i left the house. i got her dipped into the water, gave the key a crank &
CLICK is all i heard.
so, i snag the battery outta my truck(tow vehicle) & did the swap while standing in the water. nothing happened but the boat fired up on the first click & scared the shiat outta everyone with 4 grand rev on the dock. hehe!

Ken F
11-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Standing in the snow out hunting one time with wet boots I peed on an electric fence........does that count for tingle?
Ken F

YeLLowBoaT
11-25-2006, 02:40 PM
I got it one time in a friends Day crusier trying to pull the battery out. it was 110 degree day and I was covered in sweat. Laying on my belly I got a little to close to bother termals.
Now I have been zap by 12 volt, 110, 220, but the worst I ever had was trying to adjust the timing on my fiat. I had one hand on the fender and as a I reached for the dist I got arced by the coil( they are very close you have to lean way over to get to both of them.) that SOB hurt like a mofo.

SmokinLowriderSS
11-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Never that particular situation, but I've been buzzed before wrenching on something, sweaty in summer, and realized the sparks from my arm to the exhaust log were perhaps not the best thing.
110 isn't too bad, had that more times than I should have.
220 was a MF-er as it was across my sweaty hand in a hot apt, while diagnosing a stove back in the '90's. THAT hurt, as much as an ignition, but different.
So far, I've managed to avoid airplane electrocution, Hi-amperage 28VDC and 110-400hz AC. I hear THAT one is truly nasty.

Squirtcha?
11-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Slightly off topic here. Never been shocked (by a battery anyway).
I was a linesman for 8 years though.
Used to get shocked from trees all the stinkin time. Get up in one to
help the line through, tree sways a bit and touches power and BAM!
power travels right down the tree trunk and into you sorry ass. Talk
about a wake up call.
Ahh memories..........
What was the question again? :220v:

wet77
11-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Battery never got me but on my first jet boat I had a olds with a stock HEI and I went to turn the distributor while the motor was running to adjust timing :220v: :220v: Never do that again :crossx:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Battery never got me but on my first jet boat I had a olds with a stock HEI and I went to turn the distributor while the motor was running to adjust timing :220v: :220v: Never do that again :crossx:
Thats funny:) I was helping 460 jus getn it time his boat. I had my hand on the dist and told him NOT to crank it. What does he do????? Cranks it!:220v: Mind you he had a msd dist,msd wires,and a msd 6al box. I have never felt voltage like that before in life:eek:

DUCKY
11-25-2006, 07:28 PM
I was taught at an early age that the ground cable comes first and last.....

DUCKY
11-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Thats funny:) I was helping 460 jus getn it time his boat. I had my hand on the dist and told him NOT to crank it. What does he do????? Cranks it!:220v: Mind you he had a msd dist,msd wires,and a msd 6al box. I have never felt voltage like that before in life:eek:
MSD ignitions and Mercury outboard ignitions = OUCH!!!! Both feed 150+ volts AC into the igniton coils

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-25-2006, 07:53 PM
MSD ignitions and Mercury outboard ignitions = OUCH!!!! Both feed 150+ volts AC into the igniton coils
I could only imagine:eek:

shaun
11-26-2006, 12:43 AM
I've never been shocked by it, when i say the term shocked i mean you jump up going "god f#@king damit, holly sh#t"
It's more of just a tingle or a buzzing feeling going through your arms.
As for the MSD, i think they put out more than 150V dont they? Shit if not i've had worse by those disposible camera capasitors, i measured those things at 350V... When i was a teenager we'd cut them off, charge them and then toss them to classmates/buddies saying "catch"... talk about a shock to remember!!!

SB
11-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Never like that.
I got shocked by a lawnmower plug wire, trying to ground it to turn it off.
In shop class we had a stripped wire we'd plug in to shock ourselves.

FOURQ
11-28-2006, 02:31 PM
never needed to pull my battery out while in the water so nope.. but i have been hit by 110 single phase-better than coffee , 230 three phase(standing in a puddle of water)-OK thats a wake up call , and 480 three phase-holly shit why did i fly 10 ft head first into that machine.

Heatseeker
11-28-2006, 02:53 PM
When i was a teenager we'd cut them off, charge them and then toss them to classmates/buddies saying "catch"... talk about a shock to remember!!!
When I was in high school shop class, we'd do the same thing with an ignition condensor(remember those?). Charge it up and toss it to the closest guy. I hated catching those things! We had a guy in there that used to do power drop tests(pull individual plug wires while running)bare handed. He liked the zap that he got from it. He never was right after that!
I stuck a nickel in a wall socket when I was 4 1/2 years old. I was pretending to start the car. I ended up getting blasted to the other side of the living room. The memory of that event to this day makes me very cautious around any kind of electricity!

460 jus getn it
11-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Thats funny:) I was helping 460 jus getn it time his boat. I had my hand on the dist and told him NOT to crank it. What does he do????? Cranks it!:220v: Mind you he had a msd dist,msd wires,and a msd 6al box. I have never felt voltage like that before in life:eek:You said crank it, so i did. HAHA, you ran down the street like a chicken with its head cut off......LMAO,

67weimann
11-28-2006, 03:36 PM
You said crank it, so i did. HAHA, you ran down the street like a chicken with its head cut off......LMAO,
LMAO

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 09:03 PM
You said crank it, so i did. HAHA, you ran down the street like a chicken with its head cut off......LMAO,
Thanks bastard:eek: That kicked my azz for sure! I remember the voltage like it happened yesterday:eek:

EAZYKILLER2006
11-29-2006, 12:05 AM
I got it one time in a friends Day crusier trying to pull the battery out. it was 110 degree day and I was covered in sweat. Laying on my belly I got a little to close to bother termals.
Now I have been zap by 12 volt, 110, 220, but the worst I ever had was trying to adjust the timing on my fiat. I had one hand on the fender and as a I reached for the dist I got arced by the coil( they are very close you have to lean way over to get to both of them.) that SOB hurt like a mofo.
we were hiking and it got dark pretty fast and there was no light at all no flashlight either so i got out the taz :220v: er and used it as a light~ but i tripped and tazed my son on the ankle boy did it lay him out poor guy...glad it wasnt me

shaun
11-30-2006, 12:12 AM
[QUOTE=FOURQ]never needed to pull my battery out while in the water so nope.. QUOTE]
Lets just say that not all of us where lucky enough to have working alternators (sp?)... i still need to rig up some type of mounting solution for mine..