PDA

View Full Version : RatPhish Drag boat's

George Pataki
11-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Well fellas here is the start of an old Rogers Dragstar mold resurrection.
http://www.arsmarine.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Lake_Havasu_Boat_mold_trip_11-06_028.jpg
http://www.arsmarine.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Lake_Havasu_Boat_mold_trip_11-06_029.jpg
Many changes are being done to the bottom of this boat to allow for better mid range to top end MPH. With these changes to the Keel, the Dreadful HOP should be eliminated.
Stay Tuned!
www.arsmarine.com

TRG
11-25-2006, 10:31 PM
I was just wondering to myself if there were gonna be any changes to the bottom! lol
Good luck!
P.s. are you guys gonna pull an orig. part outta the mold and then perform the mods?...or work it out in the mold?
Should be an interesting topic!
Cant wait to see the outcome!
Todd

George Pataki
11-26-2006, 03:44 AM
Todd: We plan on placing inserts in the mold for the mods to the bottom, that way we can pop differant bottoms and test each one.
Plenty of space in there to make a bottom that should work.
Been talkin with Earle Smith learning what the best light weight laminating techniques are.
I want to build a couple of 300# boats for testing.

Ralph Brunt
11-26-2006, 06:02 AM
now thats cool, good luck George
ralph

MikeF
11-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Looking forward to seeing your progress w/ your modifications. :cool:
Take a picture of the inside of the mold. I've never seen the way that bottom actually is.
How much power are you putting to it?
The old "Duel in the Sun" dragstar is still around (albiet w/new paint) w/a nice engine, but I have not seen it run....or hop?! :boxed:
Good luck! :cool:

jweeks123
11-26-2006, 10:06 AM
what are your reasons for doing r&d on that design
do you think it is technically superior to other designs
jw

TRG
11-26-2006, 10:58 AM
what are your reasons for doing r&d on that design
do you think it is technically superior to other designs
jw
I personaly think you could make anything run great,...Just take a look at Tom Bandy's "Hallett hath no fury" that thing runs like a scallded ape!
When you think about it, a semi v runs great but the shut down seems to be the issue, but the dragstar is a flat with some very shallow tunnels (I think! lol) I'll be that it would be a pretty bitchen hull with some Mods like GP is gonna do!
There was a guy out of Tom Papp's shop that had a red,white& blue (John Rapp) one that an pretty good but he could only do so much with the hull design the way it was, and it ran pretty damn good with an olds! Dont remember what it ran @ bako, but cool to see oit out there,...Hoppin"
:rollside:
If you guys get the issues that the dragstar has under control, i'de would consider buying one from you but not a light one, i'd like it to last, and not deal with transom rep's! lol
Todd

old rigger
11-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Haven't seen those molds in almost 15 years. lol
Good luck with the project. That bottom is a Hondo bottom by the way, modifed by Roger Weiman and Kenny at BK (the best fiberglass man on the planet).
300 lbs should be very easy. :)

mcderns
11-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Looks like fun George! Cant wait to see the first one!!!

TRG
11-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Haven't seen those molds in almost 15 years. lol
Good luck with the project. That bottom is a Hondo bottom by the way, modifed by Roger Weiman and Kenny at BK (the best fiberglass man on the planet).
300 lbs should be very easy. :)
Rich, the top is pretty much a Sanger right?... i had the rogers right next to rapp's boat out at TPR and it looked nothing like my rogers and almost like a Sanger bubble deck!
Todd

Heatseeker
11-26-2006, 05:54 PM
I might be interested in a Dragstar too. Can't wait to see how they turn out!
Todd, If I remember right, OR told me that Roger directly splashed a Sanger bubble deck for the Bonneville tops. I don't know about the Dragstar though.
Also, I've seen the old Duel in the Sun(now known as A Little Rascal's Ex) boat run(@ Red Bluff for the last few years). I didn't notice any hop, but it sure ran good! I believe it was runnning in the 10 ME second class. I don't know if it had any bottom mods done or not. Kindsvator Flat may know, the owner is his bud.

TRG
11-26-2006, 06:02 PM
All i can say is,...the inside from gunnell to gunnell (spelling?) is like 8 inches more narrow in the drag star and the little kick up also in the gunnell behind where your arm would sit, is non existent in any of the Bonnevilles, also the deckline around the ribbon (radius from deck to rail) is much sharper on a rogers where a Sanger has a smooth transition (like the dragstar), one more thing is the barrell on the rear of the boat is more of a teardrop on a sanger and the Rogers is more round.
Just a couple of differences that i have found to be factual.
only because i had the two side by side for a coulpe of days to see the differences! lol
Had too much time on my hands! lol
Todd

old rigger
11-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Todd, If I remember right, OR told me that Roger directly splashed a Sanger bubble deck for the Bonneville tops. I don't know about the Dragstar though.
Also, I've seen the old Duel in the Sun(now known as A Little Rascal's Ex) boat run(@ Red Bluff for the last few years). I didn't notice any hop, but it sure ran good! I believe it was runnning in the 10 ME second class. I don't know if it had any bottom mods done or not. Kindsvator Flat may know, the owner is his bud.
set up right they do run good, set up wrong, they hop.
And I didn't tell you that Roger splashed a sanger bubble deck for the bonneville decks. I told you that he splased the BUBBLE, and then grafted it to his decks, straightening out the gunnales in the process. :)

TRG
11-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Regardless,..a damn good lookin' boat!
Rigger, i wanted to give you a call but cant seem to find your # when you get a chance could you drop me a dime?
626-991-9031
Todd

Heatseeker
11-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Regardless,..a damn good lookin' boat!
Todd
What he said :) .
I guess my memory is getting fuzzier by the day :cry: ! But I knew that bubble came from a Sanger somehow. Thanks for clearing it up for me OR.

Placecraft Dragstar
02-15-2007, 02:43 AM
Has any of these boats been built yet? How light is the layup? Spring is coming fast.

sleekcrafter
02-15-2007, 04:12 AM
Yea can't wait to see one, I guess it was'nt ready for the boat show, so might have to wait till summer to see one. I hear those flat bottoms are fast, and at 300# it should be quick too:)

hellman2u
02-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Rick has the Little rascals ex, Quick little boat. He has it on injected alchohol . There are lots of pics on his website www.dragboatrace.com

bp
02-15-2007, 12:56 PM
hey jim, ready for m.e. yet???? :)
rick's boat runs very well, has the same hardware and setup that jack mcclure installed when he rigged the boat over 30 years ago. it doesn't hop...

Placecraft Dragstar
02-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Hop?? Like a rabbit.

bp
02-15-2007, 05:21 PM
rabbits are smooth.. more like a frog..

sleekcrafter
02-15-2007, 05:43 PM
rabbits are smooth.. more like a frog..
Wow Froggy style, wild ride it could be:eek:

Placecraft Dragstar
02-18-2007, 06:56 PM
or maybe a toad:idea:

luv2race
02-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Well fellas here is the start of an old Rogers Dragstar mold resurrection.
http://www.arsmarine.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Lake_Havasu_Boat_mold_trip_11-06_028.jpg
http://www.arsmarine.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Lake_Havasu_Boat_mold_trip_11-06_029.jpg
Many changes are being done to the bottom of this boat to allow for better mid range to top end MPH. With these changes to the Keel, the Dreadful HOP should be eliminated.
Stay Tuned!
www.arsmarine.com
Very cool, Harold at R&D had a lot of luck with Roger boats. He raced some of them(and won a lot of races with) He also built one for a guy at the river it was awesome A family boat that kick a lot of a**'s . I think there are some pics on Harold's web. very nice boats.
So good luck
WWW.R&DMARINE.com