PDA

View Full Version : Buying info/options for Laveycraft 2750.

highvoltagehands
11-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Thinking about stepping up to a new laveycraft 2750 mid-cabin with a merc 600sci Bravo 1 XR, single ram hyd steering, and 280 K-Planes I'd like to see 85mph with reliability. Would like to hear from anyone running or having info about speed/performance/cost numbers for this setup or similiar ones. Along with the handling characteristics of this boat up to 85mph. Any buying advice or recommendations for options would also be gratly appreciated. Thanks

Faster Daddy
11-26-2006, 01:49 AM
Thinking about stepping up to a new laveycraft 2750 mid-cabin with a merc 600sci Bravo 1 XR, single ram hyd steering, and 280 K-Planes I'd like to see 85mph with reliability. Would like to hear from anyone running or having info about speed/performance/cost numbers for this setup or similiar ones. Along with the handling characteristics of this boat up to 85mph. Any buying advice or recommendations for options would also be gratly appreciated. Thanks
Great boat. Your power and drive choice look right for what you want to achieve, however dual ram hyd steering should be on your list for safe high-speed running.
I'm sure you're gonna love it! :rollside:

cc322
11-26-2006, 07:27 AM
Great boats, great people, excellent reputation in the business. From what I understand the 2750 is a drivers boat, but once you get the hang of it, the thing is great in the rough. There are a few on here with the 2750 I am sure they will chime in with there 02 good luck.

cc322
11-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Great boat. Your power and drive choice look right for what you want to achieve, however dual ram hyd steering should be on your list for safe high-speed running.
I'm sure you're gonna love it! :rollside:
Take it from Brian he knows Laveys 2750 well.

hotlavey
11-26-2006, 09:26 AM
I bought my 2750 new in 2002. I have only used it in fresh water but I know it can handle the ocean with no problems. It(not mine) was Factory 1 offshore champ for 2 years. Mine was equipped with the HP500EFI and top speed at that time was in the upper 70's. Two seasons ago I had a Whipple installed which upped the top end into the lower 80's. It handles big chop beautifully and is built like a vault. Mine is vacuum bagged and balsa cored and has no stress cracks at all. The boat does like a bit of a chop better then the flat stuff but will cruise perfectly at 65 or so with no problems. At higher speeds it does like to porpoise a little but that can be adjusted out.
I love the boat but as I have not used it this year at all I have it up for sale.
You can't go wrong with Lavey or with this model- they are great.
Good luck,
Tom

bigq
11-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Nice boats but might might I suggest you go to the SPAM section and lookup the TPI motors that I think would be great in that boat and my guess is the cost would be close if you were going with the Merc 600.
Heres a link for you:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134166
that would be one badass boat. :rollside:

29 Lavey
11-28-2006, 05:28 PM
My 29 with twin 500efi's is for sale.
Faster and less expensive than a new 27.
Call me or email me for some pictures
chris@primedigital.com
323 864 8332

INSman
11-28-2006, 05:46 PM
My 29 with twin 500efi's is for sale.
Faster and less expensive than a new 27.
Call me or email me for some pictures
chris@primedigital.com
323 864 8332
Good point !! :cool:

29 Lavey
11-28-2006, 06:21 PM
I thought so....Thanks.

29 Lavey
11-28-2006, 06:25 PM
HighVoltage...
I see that you are from the Delta area.... I had our Lavey up there for the Big Cat run.
You need twins with that kind water area... get 25 miles away from a ramp/dock with a single....not so fun. Our boat is stock...will run in the 90's all day long.... Think about it.
Chris

voodoomedman
11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
I would have no problem spending money on a Lavey. I know a guy with a 27 and it is very nice. I crawled through it and it appeared to be rigged like the reputation told me it would be. If your looking for the all out bling factor it isn't quite there but the service, reliability and build quality surely are. If that's the type of boat you are looking for then buy it.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Dual ram full hydraulic steering nothing less.....

29 Lavey
11-29-2006, 06:52 AM
My 29 has dual ram... :rollside:

hotlavey
11-29-2006, 08:51 AM
My 29 has dual ram... :rollside:
So does mine and it's never been in the salt. :cool:

29 Lavey
11-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Nor has mine... :)

TheCarDudes
11-29-2006, 06:11 PM
I think I know where there is an 05 or 06 2750 Nu Era with a Teague 800 that might be coming available. This boat screams !!!!
Let me know if you are interested. The owner doesn't know if he wants to sell it but I think he might be leaning towards building a deck boat. A little persuasion may help. The boat is mostly yellow with grey interior. Very classy.

INSman
12-04-2006, 02:26 PM
So, what is the decision ???

Sun burners
12-04-2006, 06:15 PM
About 600hp.
380 k planes,
The new Blue water drive and tab indicators the one that stick out.
I thought my 26' Nu Era rode nice until I rode in the 2750...

highvoltagehands
12-04-2006, 10:37 PM
So, what is the decision ???
I'm interested in all of them, and am exchanging info. I'll let you know when/if I decide. Guess I need to just let the clutch out!

29 Lavey
12-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Call me and lets go for a boat ride.
Chris
323 864 8332

INSman
12-05-2006, 07:11 AM
I don't think the 600 will get you to an EASY 85, but I know the one with the Teague 800 will. Good luck with your final choice.

It's Only Money
12-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Drive the 2750 with the power (or more) than you are looking for at the speeds you desire. Some boats have quirky handling characteristics at certain speeds and wouldn't be recommended for less than very experienced skippers. Don't buy ANYTHING until you've done your homework.

29 Lavey
12-05-2006, 07:28 AM
My first 29 Lavey I had a Whippled 500efi (720HP) and on its best day I saw 84.
My current 29 (twins) will run 80+ at 4,500 not the screaming 5,200+. It's great cruising 20 miles in Havasu at 80 and not hammering the motors to maintain that speed.

INSman
12-05-2006, 08:23 AM
My first 29 Lavey I had a Whippled 500efi (720HP) and on its best day I saw 84.
My current 29 (twins) will run 80+ at 4,500 not the screaming 5,200+. It's great cruising 20 miles in Havasu at 80 and not hammering the motors to maintain that speed.
Gotta' love those twins !! :D

Liquid Courage
12-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Buy Chris' boat....It's in new condition.
http://scopeinfo.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=785

Quality Time
12-05-2006, 07:12 PM
29 Lavey's boat is CLEAN!! and runs great. Had the opportunity to run next to it and see it in person on Mead.
Forget the 27' single. You can't go wrong on this one!

hotlavey
12-06-2006, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=Quality Time]29 Lavey's boat is CLEAN!! and runs great. Had the opportunity to run next to it and see it in person on Mead.
Forget the 27' single. You can't go wrong on this one![/QUOTE
I've run only singles for years and never had a problem, even off-shore. I do believe a 29 would be much better with twins, but a 2750 does great with a single and probably burns less fuel too. I don't believe the Factory 1 2750 ever had an engine problem either and that one lives a tough life. Blue motors are hard to beat.

29 Lavey
12-06-2006, 04:36 PM
You said it....Blue motors rule!!!!

Quality Time
12-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Hot Lavey, not bagging on singles at all, just giving Chris' boat another plug :p

29 Lavey
12-12-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm interested in all of them, and am exchanging info. I'll let you know when/if I decide. Guess I need to just let the clutch out!
If you are interested in ours - make an offer. I would like it sold.
Any questions- please ask.
Want to go for a ride - just ask.
Chris

hotlavey
12-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Hot Lavey, not bagging on singles at all, just giving Chris' boat another plug :p
Never thought you were, I was just pointing out the advantages of a single- a big one is not having to rebuild two engines at once. There are certainly advantages for each, it depends on the use and the pocketbook.
Oh, and mine is still available.

ToMorrow44
12-16-2006, 02:52 PM
I think I know where there is an 05 or 06 2750 Nu Era with a Teague 800 that might be coming available. This boat screams !!!!
Let me know if you are interested. The owner doesn't know if he wants to sell it but I think he might be leaning towards building a deck boat. A little persuasion may help. The boat is mostly yellow with grey interior. Very classy.
I've seen this boat and have actually done some work on it. Its amazing. Ran 94mph at Castaic and it's an open bow. Paint and interior and everything looks amazing. Let me know if this comes on the market.
-Tom

hotlavey
12-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I've seen this boat and have actually done some work on it. Its amazing. Ran 94mph at Castaic and it's an open bow. Paint and interior and everything looks amazing. Let me know if this comes on the market.
-Tom
CarDudes,
What drive, gear ratio, and prop is your friend running in that Lavey? If mine doesn't sell I may do some alterations. I also sent you a PM.
Thanks in advance for the info,
Tom

ToMorrow44
12-17-2006, 09:09 PM
CarDudes,
What drive, gear ratio, and prop is your friend running in that Lavey? If mine doesn't sell I may do some alterations.
Thanks in advance for the info,
Tom
It's a Teague XR drive with IMCO lower (not sure if it was a standard length or not), 1.50 gears, and a 30P Hydromotive P-5X. All the 27 Laveys I saw had a Hydromotive 5 blade prop I guess they tend to like stern lift like a cat. What's it like driving a 27 at 80+? I heard its hard but once you get used to it, it runs great.
-Tom

hotlavey
12-18-2006, 08:43 AM
It's a Teague XR drive with IMCO lower (not sure if it was a standard length or not), 1.50 gears, and a 30P Hydromotive P-5X. All the 27 Laveys I saw had a Hydromotive 5 blade prop I guess they tend to like stern lift like a cat. What's it like driving a 27 at 80+? I heard its hard but once you get used to it, it runs great.
-Tom
Tom,
Thanks for that info. I have a Hydromotive 5 blade and the boat did not like it at all. I think it is a little tall for my power(mid 600's I think) and it also torques the boat over alot. I'm surprised it works on the other Laveys. I have a 28 Labbed Bravo 4 blade that works pretty well but it's not perfect. At 80 the boat wants to porpoise a bit and a little tab seems to help but it does slow things down.
Tom

ToMorrow44
12-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Tom,
Thanks for that info. I have a Hydromotive 5 blade and the boat did not like it at all. I think it is a little tall for my power(mid 600's I think) and it also torques the boat over alot. I'm surprised it works on the other Laveys. I have a 28 Labbed Bravo 4 blade that works pretty well but it's not perfect. At 80 the boat wants to porpoise a bit and a little tab seems to help but it does slow things down.
Tom
That's weird because I saw two other 27s with 525s that had a Hydromotive 5-blade as well. That's really weird. What kind of numbers do you run with your boat? Right now mine's 85 (slow Advantage) but I'm still prop testing. I'm going to try a CNC prop from a company called Throttle Up in Florida. They are really really knowledgable about props and set-up if you'd like to contact them. All the super-vee lites that are winning races are running their CNC props. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
-Tom

hotlavey
12-18-2006, 09:45 AM
That's weird because I saw two other 27s with 525s that had a Hydromotive 5-blade as well. That's really weird. What kind of numbers do you run with your boat? Right now mine's 85 (slow Advantage) but I'm still prop testing. I'm going to try a CNC prop from a company called Throttle Up in Florida. They are really really knowledgable about props and set-up if you'd like to contact them. All the super-vee lites that are winning races are running their CNC props. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
-Tom
I have been in touch with Julie and Matt at Throttle Up and they did recommend the P5x. I had heard they were going to do their own props and I will be very interested in your testing results. What engine are you running? I would think 85 is a very good number for any 27. I am running in the low to mid 80's depending on the water. Some chop really helps this hull. My engine was a HP500EFI that I Whippled.

ToMorrow44
12-18-2006, 01:27 PM
I have been in touch with Julie and Matt at Throttle Up and they did recommend the P5x. I had heard they were going to do their own props and I will be very interested in your testing results. What engine are you running? I would think 85 is a very good number for any 27. I am running in the low to mid 80's depending on the water. Some chop really helps this hull. My engine was a HP500EFI that I Whippled.
Mine's got a Teague 800efi in it. I've tried the P-5X and that worked horribly with mine and only ran about 75 and bowsteered. 85 is an ok number but I'd like to see 2 or 3 more. I'm going to try a 26P 4-Blade of theirs and that should be interesting. I'll let you know how that goes. The reason I say my boat is slow is because of the 94mph 27 Lavey that was mentioned earlier with the same motor but an open bow.
-Tom

hotlavey
12-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Mine's got a Teague 800efi in it. I've tried the P-5X and that worked horribly with mine and only ran about 75 and bowsteered. 85 is an ok number but I'd like to see 2 or 3 more. I'm going to try a 26P 4-Blade of theirs and that should be interesting. I'll let you know how that goes. The reason I say my boat is slow is because of the 94mph 27 Lavey that was mentioned earlier with the same motor but an open bow.
-Tom
I would assume the bow steer was a result of the transom lift. Mine had a horrible porpoise problem with that P5X. How does the weight of the Advantage compare to the Lavey? I know mine was balsa cored and vacuum bagged which I believe lightens the hull a little. Not positive of the weight tho-I think about 4400lbs. Yours?
My best speed on GPS came with my labbed 28 at 5500.
Tom

ToMorrow44
12-18-2006, 04:26 PM
I would assume the bow steer was a result of the transom lift. Mine had a horrible porpoise problem with that P5X. How does the weight of the Advantage compare to the Lavey? I know mine was balsa cored and vacuum bagged which I believe lightens the hull a little. Not positive of the weight tho-I think about 4400lbs. Yours?
My best speed on GPS came with my labbed 28 at 5500.
Tom
Yeah the bow steer came from the transom lift. I'm not exactly sure of the weight of mine but I would say that it's around 4400lbs too. The Lavey is just a very fast hull whereas the Advantage was designed in 1991.
BTW sorry for hijacking the thread, but I love the Lavey, I think it looks awesome and it obviously performs awesome as far as speed and rough water (it does great in factory 1). I would love to get a 32 Lavey with twin 800s. Like some others said, for the price of the 600sci, you could get a Teague 800efi and it has the same warranty (1 year) and Teague stands behind everything. Just my .02
-Tom

hotlavey
12-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah the bow steer came from the transom lift. I'm not exactly sure of the weight of mine but I would say that it's around 4400lbs too. The Lavey is just a very fast hull whereas the Advantage was designed in 1991.
BTW sorry for hijacking the thread, but I love the Lavey, I think it looks awesome and it obviously performs awesome as far as speed and rough water (it does great in factory 1). I would love to get a 32 Lavey with twin 800s. Like some others said, for the price of the 600sci, you could get a Teague 800efi and it has the same warranty (1 year) and Teague stands behind everything. Just my .02
-Tom
I have no experience or knowledge regarding the Teague engines but I have heard that their HP ratings are a little optimistic, as are the Pfaff numbers. I don't even remember the source as it was a while back so can't vouch for the accuracy. Yes, the 32 is an awesome boat with an awesome price. At one time I was thinking about one until I mentioned it to my wife- that ended that. I still think the blue motors are superior tho.

ToMorrow44
12-18-2006, 08:42 PM
A 32 would be nice. That boat screams too and yes it is an awesome price. A lot of boat for that price. I'd be interested to see how much the guy with the yellow 94mph 2750 wants for it.
CarDudes, any word?