PDA

View Full Version : Is this trash?

67weimann
11-26-2006, 05:32 PM
I think this POS is slowing me down...Should I trash it? Took me 2 hours to get the damn bolts out to remove it... :mad:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/Roll_me_over/000_0418.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/Roll_me_over/000_0417.jpg

TRG
11-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Judging by the mat of rust, trash it, if a stinger broke off, im sure you would wish you had gotten rid of it!
Just my opinion
Todd

67weimann
11-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Judging by the mat of rust, trash it, if a stinger broke off, im sure you would wish you had gotten rid of it!
Just my opinion
Todd
I agree, especially since I just had the pump rebuilt...IT's going in the trash. Now I just need to find a stock rock grate...

supersoaker509
11-26-2006, 05:57 PM
67weimann.....just sent you a PM

IMPATIENT 1
11-26-2006, 06:36 PM
somebody tried to make a loader with a stock grate. put a new style loader on it, your boat will thank you for it :p

wsuwrhr
11-26-2006, 06:43 PM
That is how it was done old scool style,
the gurus have learned as the years went by.
Brian

Sanger Jet
11-27-2006, 05:36 AM
That thing could kill somebody :skull:

TIMINATOR
11-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Not baggin on ya, but your top speed doesn't require a loader, it will run faster with a stock rock grate. TIMINATOR

4trax
11-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Not baggin on ya, but your top speed doesn't require a loader, it will run faster with a stock rock grate. TIMINATOR
I was told by alot of people to get a pro loader. It will help for top end??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/topload.jpg

67weimann
11-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Yeah, that is excatly what I was thinking. Especially after the pump rebuild, I took it out and the ass end would leave the water and upon re-entry to the water, I would feel it grab almost like someone put on the brakes....
Oh and bagg away Timm, I can take it...
What you saying my boat is slow? The guy I bought it from on e-bay said it would run 150mph on the GPS...lol...j/k

67weimann
11-27-2006, 03:45 PM
I was told by alot of people to get a pro loader. It will help for top end??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
All depends on what speeds you are running.

4trax
11-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Yeah, that is excatly what I was thinking. Especially after the pump rebuild, I took it out and the ass end would leave the water and upon re-entry to the water, I would feel it grab almost like someone put on the brakes....
Oh and bagg away Timm, I can take it...
What you saying my boat is slow? The guy I bought it from on e-bay said it would run 150mph on the GPS...lol...j/k
Soooo your saying your boat does better without the loader? I was thinking about going back to a stock grate. I have a loader similar to what is in the very top pic. The angle iron stuff. I think they call it a semi-pro series loader.

4trax
11-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Soooo your saying your boat does better without the loader? I was thinking about going back to a stock grate. I have a loader similar to what is in the very top pic. The angle iron stuff. I think they call it a semi-pro series loader.
Like this
http://jetboatperformance.com/images/uploads/e%20loader.jpg

4trax
11-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Or this, there the same just better pic.
http://www.berkeleyjet.com/images/620_I-53.JPG

67weimann
11-27-2006, 04:41 PM
It depends on your speed...I honestly think that the loader is hurting my speeds. What kind of speeds are you seeing? As far as it doing better, I don't know yet, I'll go make another run without it and then I will know what exactly it does good or bad...

tomcei
11-27-2006, 05:00 PM
wouldn't the loader help on the ruffer (non glass) water?
It seems like it would keep it from suckin air.

67weimann
11-27-2006, 06:33 PM
wouldn't the loader help on the ruffer (non glass) water?
It seems like it would keep it from suckin air.
Glass or not, if the intake leaves the water, it's gonna suck air. and again, IT DEPENDS ON THE SPEED YOU ARE RUNNING. The loader creates more pump pressure in front of the impellor which can slow you down if you are not running high speeds. If your pump is cavitating at high speeds then yes a loader may help, otherwise it isn't gonna help IMO

TRG
11-27-2006, 07:08 PM
That must be the reason why every single race boat in any organised club is running loaders!....shaving top speed away? Might wanna re-think the logic that's being thrown around on this topic, or tomorrow, call Duane, Tom Papp or MPD, they might have a thing or two to throw into the mix.
My personal belief is that sertain types of loaders load water properly so that the impeller is not being fed too much, kinda like a block loader takes water away and a open center loader will feed water properly and usually give the boat a better hole shot, at least that is what happened to my rogers what i had the OC loader, and boy did she NOT like to re enter into the water too well!
Todd

squirt'nmyload
11-27-2006, 07:20 PM
That must be the reason why every single race boat in any organised club is running loaders!....shaving top speed away? Might wanna re-think the logic that's being thrown around on this topic
Todd
you are talking RACE BOATS not average lake boats going 50-55.

TRG
11-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Loading a pump properly is the same whatever boat it is, if you want to make a boat (more) efficient, load it, treat it like a race boat and you will find more speed as well as acceleration, bottom line, is'nt that what mose redblooded americans want, more bang for their buck?
I think an aftermarket loater will make a big difference compared to any rock grate!
Then again, what do i know, im just a glass guy.
Todd

TRG
11-27-2006, 07:29 PM
I think this POS is slowing me down...Should I trash it? Took me 2 hours to get the damn bolts out to remove it... :mad:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/Roll_me_over/000_0418.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/Roll_me_over/000_0417.jpg
Squirtin' im just going off of what 67weiman said in the first 8 words of this topic.
Todd

squirt'nmyload
11-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Loading a pump properly is the same whatever boat it is, if you want to make a boat (more) efficient, load it, treat it like a race boat and you will find more speed as well as acceleration, bottom line, is'nt that what mose redblooded americans want, more bang for their buck?
I think an aftermarket loater will make a big difference compared to any rock grate!
Then again, what do i know, im just a glass guy.
Todd
i get it. but i would think the difference would be more noticeable with a higher hp boat(thats what i meant)......i don't know anything either, i'm also a glass guy!!!

squirt'nmyload
11-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Squirtin' im just going off of what 67weiman said in the first 8 words of this topic.
Todd
gotcha http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/grin.gif

67weimann
11-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Loading a pump properly is the same whatever boat it is
exactly, load it PROPERLY...if it doesn't need a loader, you are increasing bowl pressure and forcing TOO MUCH water into it causing a "bog" affect by using a loader. Now to treat it like a race boat is also not going to benefit you. Every boat wants something different and yes most guys run loaders and go through tuning the loader trying to get the proper pressure to the pump (or at least they should to OPTIMIZE the loader) It is not just bolt a loader on and you are gonna go faster. Dude, I run a tired 327 SBC.
As far as the OC loader you ran, I'm sure it helped but I'm sure you had plenty of power to justify it...quote from Berkeley's site
Note: Engines that don't make 500+ horsepower attempting to use this item may actually experience an overloaded jet creating a "bog" type sensation.

TRG
11-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Look , like i said, if you are looking for a loader, call a pump guy, and he can set you up with something that will MOST DEFINITLY help the situation out more that running the pump without anything, if your concern is to just get on the water and soak down some coldies,...Cool! if you want the best from what you have?...try some different things, like a different loader! Becides, if you have a tired motor, a SBC no less, i would think you'd want to take water from the impeller....

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-27-2006, 11:09 PM
You guys got to be kidding me:confused: Who and the phuk said that a loader WOULDNT help??:confused: Thats the craziest thing that I ever heard!!!!!!!
I have done a loader test on a stock pump! I will say that it increased the MPH by 4mph! A loader is the best bang for the buck on a jetboat...PERIOD!!!!! I can back that up all day long!!!!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Just curious to see why you say that timm. Not doggin' ya one bit. I would really like to know the details.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Please tell me why the first upgrade on a jetski is a LOADER:idea: Then a RIDEPLATE:idea:
I guess the 5 mph gain on "460 jus getn its" boat was in my dream the weekend we did it...............

OKIE-JET
11-28-2006, 01:13 AM
I must say that I agree with 396 here. My experience was with a homemade jobbie I fabbed up (POS) looks wise) and put it on a 21 open bow stock 454 at309 (thats a little tired) and picked up 3 MPH to 57...very heavy seats 10 or did before changes. Im definitely gonna get me a new (REAL) one.

4trax
11-28-2006, 03:15 AM
I must say that I agree with 396 here. My experience was with a homemade jobbie I fabbed up (POS) looks wise) and put it on a 21 open bow stock 454 at309 (thats a little tired) and picked up 3 MPH to 57...very heavy seats 10 or did before changes. Im definitely gonna get me a new (REAL) one.
What kinda pump you? What kind of loader you gonna go with?

OKIE-JET
11-28-2006, 07:45 AM
What kinda pump you? What kind of loader you gonna go with?
American Turbine 309 w/A cut....prolly one from HTP.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 09:35 AM
I will say it again...
#1 best bang for the buck is a loader. Its cheap and the gains are very good.
#2 would be a diverter but the price is a little up there

67weimann
11-28-2006, 03:22 PM
I agree that a loader is a good upgrade as long as it is set up correctly. Now there is the problem...what is correct? I thought that the way to tell was to TRY different set-ups tuning?
Dang, I didn't mean to start al this drama, just was looking for some info...I'm just a FNG... :220v:

460 jus getn it
11-28-2006, 03:32 PM
I agree that a loader is a good upgrade as long as it is set up correctly. Now there is the problem...what is correct? I thought that the way to tell was to TRY different set-ups tuning?
I have a standerd loader on my boat, before the loader it ran 57.7 After the loaded it ran 64.4, you guys do the math. This was with a pump that was as loose as a hooker on VB. it runs right at 74 now, detailed impeller, ultiment(sp) wear ring, droop, diverter. For your boat, a standerd loader will do just fine. Tell you what, i have to pull my intake to do a ride plate and shoe. If you want to try mine here in the next few weeks let me know.

67weimann
11-28-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm down to try it but I would also like to take it out with just the rock grate so I have something to compare to.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 04:24 PM
I have a standerd loader on my boat, before the loader it ran 57.7 After the loaded it ran 64.4, you guys do the math. This was with a pump that was as loose as a hooker on VB. it runs right at 74 now, detailed impeller, ultiment(sp) wear ring, droop, diverter. For your boat, a standerd loader will do just fine. Tell you what, i have to pull my intake to do a ride plate and shoe. If you want to try mine here in the next few weeks let me know.
There you have it;)
I'm down to try it but I would also like to take it out with just the rock grate so I have something to compare to.
If you want to try mine here in the next few weeks let me know.
Ill even pull out MY pro series top loader and you can try it. We can bring the gps and see what really works! Oh and I can bring the BBQ grill for lunch;)
Then post the results for everyone to see;)

squirt'nmyload
11-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Ill even pull out MY pro series top loader and you can try it. We can bring the gps and see what really works! Oh and I can bring the BBQ grill for lunch;)
Then post the results for everyone to see;)
this sounds great......lake pleasant saturday???

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Dang, I didn't mean to start al this drama, just was looking for some info...I'm just a FNG... :220v:
No drama:) I would just like to see facts when peeps make statements that I dont agree with;)
Hey weimann, what do you NEED to SETUP a loader????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 04:45 PM
this sounds great......lake pleasant saturday???
That soon? Ill try but not sure yet. My company christmas party is this weekend.
We will even let you try them as well;)
Rock grate vs. river racer vs. pro series top loaders

squirt'nmyload
11-28-2006, 04:52 PM
That soon? Ill try but not sure yet. My company christmas party is this weekend.
We will even let you try them as well;)
lol.....we'll be up there........i was happy with the bbq but i'll take you up on the loader offer also http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/grin.gif

4trax
11-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Are you gonna compare these? If so let me know what worked for you.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 04:58 PM
lol.....we'll be up there........i was happy with the bbq but i'll take you up on the loader offer also http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/grin.gif
I will try but if not very soon;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Are you gonna compare these? If so let me know what worked for you.
I already own the pro series top loader. I used to own the on thats in "460 jus getn it's" boat.
I worked my schit out of my loader. Ill get pics when I get home. I want to help these guys compare. Plus I would like to post results for others here on the boards;)
Peoples helping peoples :D

squirt'nmyload
11-28-2006, 05:05 PM
I will try but if not very soon;)
it's all good, it doesn't have to be this weekend.......let us know whenever!!

TRG
11-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Lotta busy fingers today huh?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Lotta busy fingers today huh?
Oh yeah:D

4trax
11-28-2006, 07:03 PM
I already own the pro series top loader. I used to own the on thats in "460 jus getn it's" boat.
I worked my schit out of my loader. Ill get pics when I get home. I want to help these guys compare. Plus I would like to post results for others here on the boards;)
Peoples helping peoples :D
Thank-you very much. As I'm located in Northern Wisconsin and the water is a little chilly to say the least right now. Soooo I'm gonna rely on you guys to get the home work done for me. I want to put a better loader in my big tug if will help it. Just don't know which one. Thanks again guys. Have a few for me also..... OK alot! :D :D :D

sanger rat
11-28-2006, 07:17 PM
4trax, You don't have to many choices for a E/F pump.

67weimann
11-28-2006, 07:32 PM
No drama:) I would just like to see facts when peeps make statements that I dont agree with;)
Hey weimann, what do you NEED to SETUP a loader????
Hell if I know man. I've just heard about getting the right top and bottom pressure to the pump. Meaning the length of the angle deals on the loader. Same as the set-up for your shoe, shim it up/down to get the right amount of water into the pump. If you are changing the amount of water you shove in the pump by the shoe, wouldn't it be the same concept with the top loader? Granted, top loader adjustments would not be easy, more like cutting/machining the length of the angle deals on the loader...Am I out of line here?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Hell if I know man. I've just heard about getting the right top and bottom pressure to the pump. Meaning the length of the angle deals on the loader. Same as the set-up for your shoe, shim it up/down to get the right amount of water into the pump. If you are changing the amount of water you shove in the pump by the shoe, wouldn't it be the same concept with the top loader? Granted, top loader adjustments would not be easy, more like cutting/machining the length of the angle deals on the loader...Am I out of line here?
Your in the right direction;) But lets not forget that alot of pumps cavitate due to "air" stuffed in the top of the pump. If the pump is tight and efficient then you will loose rpm's like I did. Loose= higher rps from cavitation, Tight= lower r's for less cavitation and a higher efficiency. Aslo a properly loaded pump will yield a stronger holeshot:idea:
Now I'll let the pro's take it from there. Duane,bp,etc where are you guys hiding?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 07:52 PM
4trax, You don't have to many choices for a E/F pump.
True but a pro series loader is available;)
Oh and a custom loader is not out as well;)

67weimann
11-28-2006, 08:44 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132argue.gif
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132rant2.gif
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132fighting0082-thumb.gif

Ken F
11-28-2006, 09:02 PM
67 I don't mean to be coming down on you, but you've got your thinking cap all misconscrewed.....
If you are running a rockgrate, the only way you have of loading your pump is the shoe. (whether it's a shoe & rideplate, or a stock unit) this is pretty much just loading the bottom of your impeller. Get underthere and look. Imagine the water rushing past your intake at 50 mph.
Now, imagine a loader in there. It's going to channel water to the top of the impeller, keeping it fully loaded.
The "bog" effect you are talking about, WTF?
If you are stuffing too much water in the intake for you impeller to handle, where's it going to go? Past the bottom of the intake & to the rear of the boat. water doesn't compress
the best way to do it is buy yourself a loader. Start grinding off about 1/16" at a time from the "biting" edges until you begin loosing speed. Or, install a couple of pressure guages, one top & one bottom of your suction housing. I can't remember off the top of my head where your pressure readings should be, but if you want to do it that way, call Duane-he can explain it to you, and would be more than happy to.
HOpe this helps,
Ken

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 09:19 PM
call Duane-he can explain it to you, and would be more than happy to.
Ken
Where's ronjane when we need hin:crossx: He knows everything about jets:D

67weimann
Yes, water doesn't compress, so if you have TOO much water forced in the pump, is it not going to create more drag so to speak? This would be the reason you would install pressure gauges on the pump and trim the loader's biting edge...Correct? What I've been trying to get at here in a round about way...
so the concesus is that every boat should have a loader? Why don't they come with one? Why is every boat have a rock grate to begin with? Cost is relatively the same from a rock grate to a basic loader...so WTF?
And the "bog" is what Berkeley Jet has on their website...I would think they know since they made the focking thing...
So I should just throw the old skool homemade loader I have in since it is better than a rock grate right?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132argue.gif
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132rant2.gif
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132fighting0082-thumb.gif
Those are so cute:p

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 09:24 PM
so the concesus is that every boat should have a loader? Why don't they come with one? Why is every boat have a rock grate to begin with? Cost is relatively the same from a rock grate to a basic loader...so WTF??
Look at all the new boats. They do come with them and they also set the pumps back and add shoes and rideplates;)
Your more than welcome to try mine and 460's for FREE. If they work (which I know they will) then you will know without spending a dime. You cant beat that deal;)
I was in the same situation about adding a shoe/rideplate and taking the hook out. Once I did it there was a HUGE difference in performance;) Just listen to us bud, we arent trying to lie to you. We are helping you my friend. Please stop listening to... well nevermind:D

67weimann
11-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Those are so cute:p
Hey 396http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1759/097wf7.gif (http://imageshack.us) :D
My apologies if I come across wrong here. I'm just trying to learn what is up with jet drive crap...I may be a little thick headed at times kinda like them old root beer commercials. I think they were for A&W...Remember those?

67weimann
11-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Your more than welcome to try mine and 460's for FREE. If they work (which I know they will) then you will know without spending a dime. You cant beat that deal;)
I understand. I still would like to go out and do a "test" with a rock grate so I have a baseline to go by. I had that old skool one in there and with a "jacked" pump GPS'd around 53MPH...I would like to know what it is now with freshly detailed pump and rock grate to have a starting point... :cool:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Hey 396http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1759/097wf7.gif (http://imageshack.us) :D
My apologies if I come across wrong here. I'm just trying to learn what is up with jet drive crap...I may be a little thick headed at times kinda like them old root beer commercials. I think they were for A&W...Remember those?
Your all good bud;) I like jerkin' ya chain only cuz you do it to me;) Its all good brotha;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 09:35 PM
I understand. I still would like to go out and do a "test" with a rock grate so I have a baseline to go by. I had that old skool one in there and with a "jacked" pump GPS'd around 53MPH...I would like to know what it is now with freshly detailed pump and rock grate to have a starting point... :cool:
Hellyeah. I want to test on a boat like yours. Then we can post the results for everyone to see. We can go from a stock grate to a angle iron loader to a pro loader. Record all data and report here:)

67weimann
11-28-2006, 09:38 PM
What my boat is a guniea pig...WTF?
No seriously, I think it would help everyone that may question it? I will definately be posting results here about what I find.

TRG
11-28-2006, 10:35 PM
I am almost possitive that you would get a pressure reading on the side of the suction piece, inline with the input shaft.
as far as the where at in context to the impeller?...i believe a couple of inches is where it should be plumbed in, as always, i could be wrong! lol
Todd

4trax
11-29-2006, 05:05 AM
Hellyeah. I want to test on a boat like yours. Then we can post the results for everyone to see. We can go from a stock grate to a angle iron loader to a pro loader. Record all data and report here:)
Thank-you 396. Looking forward to seeing the results from you guys. Have fun. Wish I could be the guniea pig. I mean my boat not me lolol.