PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat Cost

sleekcraft78
11-28-2006, 06:39 AM
What would it cost to re Gel a 21' Mini day cruiser? Three colors White dark red and Grey. Lets say I droped the boat off to a shop with or without motor/drive. what is the going rate?

YeLLowBoaT
11-28-2006, 07:15 AM
10k+

DUCKY
11-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Yellow's not far off... I would say maybe a little less if the boat was very clean and needed virtually no repairs. It also depends on things like if there is non-skid on the deck, and if you want it re-done, and the whether you want to bottom completely refinished or if it's repairable.

sleekcraft78
11-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Has no non skid on it. Have to change colors to go with the new interior so the bottom would have to be redone. Not a whole lot on fixin to be done. there are a couple of holes where the old seats bolted on to the sides. I would be able to Glass that. Otherwise there are only two other stress cracks witch are about 3" long both in the same place but oposite sides of the boat.
How about a heavyduty paint? How long would it last?

martan
11-28-2006, 05:21 PM
I think 10k is a little high. I have done a lot of work with gel. I sprayed some brand new 29' Powerquest with the ingel checker board graphics and those take some time but still I think it came out to about 40 hours. Decks can take a little bit longer but it all depends on how much hand sanding there is to do. Hullside should go fast though. I can get a LOT of work done in 100 hours. I just put in a bid on the actual James Bond boat from Live and Let Die and the whole boat needs regel and all the wood is rotted out and it's metal flake and my bid was only a little over 160 hours. Look on my website in this section
http://bowkersfiberglass.com/class_war.html
This is boat needed to be regelled from the factory. I did a complete regel on the hullsides in about 35 hours start to finish. Needless to say the boat looked better than new upon completion. Over the years I've done several boats that went on to be shown in boat shows.

TRG
11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Nice website martan!

DUCKY
11-28-2006, 09:23 PM
I was figuring 100-120hrs, plus materials @ winter shop labor rate of $70/hr. That price was strictly a ball park based on a boat that I haven't seen, and they always need more than you think. On a big job like that, I punch a clock and add up the hours when I am done and hope that I guessed high enough to not eat any hours. Quality work takes time, and we all need to be paid for our time.
Martan is talking big flat hull sides, were are talking about a complete older boat top, bottom, and sides, and it will most likely need some scratches, holes and cracks repaired before hand and we are talking 3 colors.

Washed Ashore
11-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Sc78,before you jump into a project like this,the first thing you need to look at is the stringers,floor and transom.This is often over looked by some shops,the last thing you want is a bitchen boat with dry rot!!The other thing you need to be ready for is the snowball effect,once you start,you cant stop.It goes like this 10-12k for gel work,The boat looks great,now you have old hardware,ect that will ruin your NEW boat.
*new gel coat $10000-12000
*New Gauges,steering wheel,billet acc. $1000-2000
*new rub rail $300-400
*New upholstery/carpet $4000-6000
*Trailer paint/carpet/wheels&tires $2500-3500
*Misc. stereo,controls/cables/engine up grades ???????????????????
I have been in business for 12 years,I have NEVER had a customer that stopped at New gel coat.
Jeff Glow
Smooth as Glass
(209)869-3545

sleekcraft78
11-30-2006, 06:39 AM
Sc78,before you jump into a project like this,the first thing you need to look at is the stringers,floor and transom.This is often over looked by some shops,the last thing you want is a bitchen boat with dry rot!!The other thing you need to be ready for is the snowball effect,once you start,you cant stop.It goes like this 10-12k for gel work,The boat looks great,now you have old hardware,ect that will ruin your NEW boat.
*new gel coat $10000-12000
*New Gauges,steering wheel,billet acc. $1000-2000
*new rub rail $300-400
*New upholstery/carpet $4000-6000
*Trailer paint/carpet/wheels&tires $2500-3500
*Misc. stereo,controls/cables/engine up grades ???????????????????
I have been in business for 12 years,I have NEVER had a customer that stopped at New gel coat.
Jeff Glow
Smooth as Glass
(209)869-3545
Ya I knew I would be dumping money into it. I was thinking just to sell it I could get the color on it. Interior is all new but I changed the colors. The boat has been repainted before/ Or gel??? It's flaking off in chunks. I'm thinking of having a local body shop just paint it. I know it's not the best but like everyone says it's a 78.
What paint would be durable enough for the job?

YeLLowBoaT
11-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Well if its flaking off, it might be paint. If that is the case it may all have to come off( I have over a hundred hours sand the paint of my boat) Then you need to get a good primer. I was planing on using epoxy, but Billy B recomend to use a ployester primer made by PCL( whichs is good cuz its about 20% of the cost of epoxy and it sands and fills well) After that depends on what you want any good single stage or base clear will be fine. it won't hold up like gel will.

bwillieb
11-30-2006, 07:02 PM
.............The real deal is epoxy prime and single stage L.P..(linear polyurethane)..not to be confused with acrylic urethane blends......the previously mentioned polyester primer may be compatable.....check with Awl Grip or Sterling (mfg's of the stuff).........true urethanes are as durable if not more so than gel coat........some 'West Marine' stores carry a true urethane...........as urethanes are pricey,....... if you know someone with a port supply discount at 'West' you'll save yourself abunch.....................