PDA

View Full Version : need some info on a 1979 black max (175hp)

lucky
11-28-2006, 12:07 PM
my boss bought a fishing boat and he is having a problem raising the engine
is their a bypass for the hyd.? ( i know nothing about outboards ) some one edumacate me on these please - where/what do we want to look at/for ?

stoker2001
11-28-2006, 06:42 PM
there will be an electric hyd trim pump mounted in the boat near the transom with a very small tee handle valve that needs to be opened.once you raise the motor manually then close valve to keep motor up.Nice meeting you at Pheonix WFs

lucky
11-29-2006, 11:03 AM
You also , thank you for the help :) I love boaters - coolest ass peps :)

Kim Hanson
11-29-2006, 07:48 PM
my boss bought a fishing boat and he is having a problem raising the engine
is their a bypass for the hyd.? ( i know nothing about outboards ) some one edumacate me on these please - where/what do we want to look at/for ?
Mine did that last year, get a motor hoist or something to lift the leg up..as soon as you can take out the top plug on the ram---take it out !....Once up fill to the top and make sure it moves up and down and top off again............( . )( . )............comprenda

timebomb1
12-01-2006, 02:02 AM
Does the trim pump even run? Could be something simple like a solenoid. The pump may be in the boat or between the mount plates. If between the plates, the relief is on the rh side. If in the boat, it will be on the resevoir. Those solenoids have real small wiring and had a problem breaking. (at least mine did) Napa should have a marine listing for the solenoid you'll have to go into the store and ask. The internet site won't let you in to browse.
With the relief valve open I was able to tilt the motor while my 16 year old shut the relief valve off. Don't think he will need a engine hoist, but might save the old back. Gary