PDA

View Full Version : Question for F350 Owners & Gurus

Huckleberry
11-28-2006, 03:38 PM
I've got an '05 F350, Crew-cab, Long bed, 4wd, PSD, and Lariat package. It is basically stock with the exception of a few cosmetic changes. No engine, tire, or suspension mods. I've had it with the miserable ride! Riding down the typical So Cal freeway in my truck is like riding in an old washing machine on spin cycle with an unbalanced load! It really makes the ol' fat giggle more than it should.
Has anyone done any thing to smooth out their ride without doing major changes to the suspension? Hemborg Ford said to put air bags on it and it will smooth it out. I agree that I need bags for the amount of weight I'm towing (14,000 lb 5th wheel & 13,000 lb boat) to keep it off the overloads. But, I'm afraid by putting bags on it will actually stiffen the ride when not towing/loaded because now I've added another source of spring to the suspension, in addition the the already stiff as hell Rancho shocks that came standard on the truck.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Huck(Tired of my manboobs shaking)leberry

The Jerk
11-28-2006, 03:44 PM
What kind of tires? and what PSI....? id say start small and ditch the shocks for newer better ones...

wedge44
11-28-2006, 03:47 PM
05....coil or leaf springs on front....
I have 06 with coil and I went with 6" fab-tech with basic shocks...ride is smoother than stock ....but any concrete freeway with expansion joints WILL make your man boobs move...it has to do with the long wheel base of the vehicles....wedge

Huckleberry
11-28-2006, 03:48 PM
What kind of tires? and what PSI....? id say start small and ditch the shocks for newer better ones...
Stock tires. I belive they're Continentals??? It does it at any tire pressure I've run in them.

Wheeler
11-28-2006, 03:50 PM
It is a truck you bought, correct? If you want a better ride, load the bed (1k of lead weight) with something or get a Lexus

BlackedoutF250
11-28-2006, 03:51 PM
I own an offroad shop and this is what I would do, throw Donahoe Racings 2.5" leveling kit on it. I have had great reviews from my customers on this kit and it won't mess with your towing cabalities at all. It includes better riding coils for the front and much better shocks for all around. This kit will tremendously improve your ride and it wont break the bank. As far as tow bags go you should be able to discuss this with a hitch place but if I remember correctly someone makes a setup where you can quickly disconnect the bags. So that when your not using the bags you can take them out. This is the setup I would go with because the bags will create a stiff ride even with no air in them. If you have any questions feel free to email me or give me a call.
John Kirsch
Unique Performance West, Inc.
www.uniqueperformancewest.com
714-865-3502

Huckleberry
11-28-2006, 03:51 PM
05....coil or leaf springs on front....
I have 06 with coil and I went with 6" fab-tech with basic shocks...ride is smoother than stock ....but any concrete freeway with expansion joints WILL make your man boobs move...it has to do with the long wheel base of the vehicles....wedge
Coil on the front. I would love to put a small lift on it, but then it will not fit into my garage. I'm real picky about my vehicles being inside the garage, so a lift is out of the question unless I make the garage door opening taller and buy a new door. $$$$$ So I'm stuck with jiggly boobs? It's okay if it's mommas boobs that are shakin', just not mine!

burtandnancy
11-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Keep the truck, change freeways...wait a minute, they're all bad. You're screwed

F26
11-28-2006, 04:19 PM
I have a 2.5inch leveling kit on the front of an 05 F350 long box crew cab 4X4 and it still fits in the garage.....you are not lifting the back

JB in so cal
11-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Find a couple of those 4' X 8' steel plates used to cover holes in roads and lay them in your bed; prolly weigh a few hundred pounds each. That'll settle down the bounce a little. :)

XTRM22
11-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Hmmm maybe a nice sportsbra? sorry sarge, somebody had to say it!
Chuck

reDECKulous
11-28-2006, 04:23 PM
I have a lifted 06 F350, long box, crew cab and it does the same thing... I thought it was just my truck until I rode in my boys 2500 chevy which is also a crew cab, long box... he has $25k in his lift and tires... still does the same thing, it is because the wheel base is so long...

sigepmock
11-28-2006, 04:25 PM
You do have an option....
Call Jeff or Scott at Deaver Springs in Santa Anna. They can make you a nice soft rear leaf pack that will ride a ton better that the stock leafs. They use thinner leafs and more of them to get a better ride. You do lose some load capacity but adding the air bags will get you right back up there. Run the bags at 5 psi when empty and air them for towing....best of both worlds. I've run this set-up on my last two 3/4 ton truck with very good results. I run lifted springs but they make them for all trucks and heights.
PM if you have any questions and I'll get you squared away.
Chris
PS Nice checkers :)

NashvilleBound
11-28-2006, 04:26 PM
First off I took off the helper springs. Second I used to put a dozen sandbags in the very back of the bed when going up to LA empty. The old freeways by Disneyland are SHITTTTTTY. A couple old railroad tracks would work perfect. Then I installed airbags to help when I had really heavy loads. they are easy to install on a Sat afternoon. I remember those days well running through LA empty on a bucking bronco......

dumbandyoung
11-28-2006, 04:34 PM
i had a long bed chevy before and it did that all the time,, i just bought a short bed f250 4door and have no problems.. i thinks its a long bed thing

soupersonic
11-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Chuck
I was thinking some pushups too :)

JetBoatRich
11-28-2006, 04:39 PM
One thing I did before I change the suspension was mess with tire pressure. This usually helped :rolleyes:
With the lift and suspension, no issues :cool: of the bounce :cool:

MWJSOne
11-28-2006, 04:46 PM
I run a Ford E350 with a Power stroke its the long van its the only van out there rated to tow 10 K.I have a 28ft 7800 pound toy box and use the Reese Cam Over 10K load bars.I also took a 20ft car trailer down the Rockport Texas it wieghed in at 8 plus K and used the Cam over load bars no sway and didn`t beat the hell out of us.Once those bars have the slack taken out of them the nose is pushed down.Didn`t read the post well seeing that you have 5th wheel set up.Someone out there used to make a air ride with air demand you had a rocker that would add or subtract pretty much like a Simi tractor air.

bchbum
11-28-2006, 04:50 PM
My other ford was a long bed , ex cab , it rode great when I had the camper shell on it .When it was off , it was the worst . My 2000 f250 crew cab long bed 4x4 , just sucks on the freeway .

H20 Toie
11-28-2006, 05:47 PM
i have a 05 f350 Diesel long bed and a 6" Fabtek lift with airbags and it does the same thing unless you speed up. if you go fast enough it is fine.

LA2HVSU
11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
I have 05 Super Duty Long Box with the same problem. A quick solution for me on long trips is six bags of 90Lb. ready mix.

riverroyal
11-28-2006, 06:05 PM
4x4 longbed 4 door will make your eyes go blurry.I put around 500 pounds of sand bags in the bed,it helps and its free!

bonesfab
11-28-2006, 06:50 PM
The shocks make a huge differance. I have put Bilstiens on a few different trucks and it makes a world of difference. About 75.00 each but well worth it.

Hustler
11-28-2006, 06:51 PM
You do have an option....
Call Jeff or Scott at Deaver Springs in Santa Anna. They can make you a nice soft rear leaf pack that will ride a ton better that the stock leafs. They use thinner leafs and more of them to get a better ride. You do lose some load capacity but adding the air bags will get you right back up there. Run the bags at 5 psi when empty and air them for towing....best of both worlds. I've run this set-up on my last two 3/4 ton truck with very good results. I run lifted springs but they make them for all trucks and heights.
PM if you have any questions and I'll get you squared away.
Chris
PS Nice checkers :)
This is your best bet right here. I have a F350 CC long bed 4x with a 8" lift useing Deaver springs and the truck rides night and day better than it did stock.

Riomouse911
11-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Every 4x4 I've owned rode like a buckboard on local freeways, from a Toyota x-cab longbed to a Suburban to the lifted F250 PSD I now drive (a '99 x-cab long bed). It's the negatives of a heavy load cap F350 + 4x4 suspension + concrete panel roadways = crappy ride every time. Even my lowered commuter-scooter Scion rides like crap on the freeways because the springs had to be stiff to avoid bottoming out. One of the prices we pay.
Ya, you could load it down to dampen the ride, but the wear and tear on tires, brakes shocks might increase to the point where it's not worth it. Certainly a cheaper option than new lifts/springs/bags.
You could try modifying the ride components, but I doubt there will be a huge change, and I fear the man-boobs will still get a workout in the pickup no matter what you do. Maybe a different commuter-daily driver car (the Lexus idea is sweet if it falls in your price range) and the truck for hauling loads will be the way to go.

Sotally Tober
11-28-2006, 09:01 PM
I have no personal experience with these, but I know guys that swear by them for concrete highways.
Velvet Springs (http://www.drivetrain.com/velvetride.html)
Good luck

rmarion
11-28-2006, 09:16 PM
call Deaver Springs, Santa Ana

H20 Toie
11-28-2006, 09:16 PM
I have no personal experience with these, but I know guys that swear by them for concrete highways.
Velvet Springs (http://www.drivetrain.com/velvetride.html)
Good luck
one of the guys that works for me put them on his Chevy 2500 and it didn't make a noticable difference

work2play
11-28-2006, 09:19 PM
The long bed actually makes the ride better. You can improve the ride with aftermarket shocks. Also let a little air out of the tires. But a little weight in the back is the real answer. You also might try a manzer or a bro. If that doesn't help get a 2 wheel drive Ranger and a tent instead of a trailer and tow a 16 foot bayliner. Sorry I just had to think I was funny. You have a dang nice truck. It's a tool made for working. Enjoy what it was made for.

Sotally Tober
11-28-2006, 09:21 PM
one of the guys that works for me put them on his Chevy 2500 and it didn't make a noticable difference
You just can't fix a turd.......J/k

cc322
11-29-2006, 05:25 AM
call Deaver Springs, Santa Ana
What he said

ZBODaytona
11-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Just add weight to the bed...there is a company making this bag that sits in the bed that you add water to, up to 300lbs. Saw it on trucks and in the back of the 4wheel mags. i think it was relativley cheap, and it doesn't take up a lot of space. not sure if only 300lbs would make a difference, but bet it is cheaper than new springs and such...

Huckleberry
11-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Chuck
Can I borrow yours? :rollside:

craiginlaverne
12-02-2006, 08:56 AM
I have a 02 f350 2wd, crew cab long bed. non dually. I had a 6 inch pro comp lift kit installed with 35 inch tires. Just by adding that, the ride really improved. I didnt put any top of the line shocks. Just the adjustable shocks that came with the kit. Any idea how I can get to where the antenna connects to the radio?

ratso
12-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Just add weight to the bed...there is a company making this bag that sits in the bed that you add water to, up to 300lbs. Saw it on trucks and in the back of the 4wheel mags. i think it was relativley cheap, and it doesn't take up a lot of space. not sure if only 300lbs would make a difference, but bet it is cheaper than new springs and such...
Ballast bags for trucks lol...

ratso
12-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Make the bed into a hot tub and put a tonneau cover on it...

ratso
12-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Get a 300lb girlfriend and make her ride in back...