PDA

View Full Version : OK whats the secret?

JAY4SPEED
11-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Whats the secret to get some lightweight mat to turn a sharp outside corner without bubbling up. I'm doing a little project for a friend where I'm laminating a bar top for him that looks like a bowling alley. I tried a few times to lay mat and transition from the top to the side and it would bubble up right at the corner. I've tried to round the corner some and it helped a little. Just wondering what you guys do for an outside corner?
Jay

DelawareDave
11-29-2006, 04:33 AM
You need a radius on the corner. 1/4" or so. Or- if you keep working it a bit, once the binder dissolves, it will be a bit more flexible.

DUCKY
11-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Yes, you need a radius on that corner. You can put some acetone in your resin, that will help eat the binder. If you are trying to produce a nice finished product, I would suggest using the tightly woven surfboard cloth instead of mat though.

JAY4SPEED
11-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys, I suspected that doing a radius on the corner was the answer. I thought about going with lightweight tight weave cloth but I wanted a fast buildup that the thicker mat would allow and was just trying to get away with it. Lesson learned...... thanks!
One more quick question, what is the proper use of "veil mat" Is that used on top of cloth to prevent print thru right before gel in an out of mold application?
Jay