View Full Version : Impeller let go..is motor ruined???

FilthyHaBIT
11-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Has anyone lost the water pump impeller in their Blue 525. I have a overheated motor that caught some hydraulic lines on fire. Was able to put fire out pretty quickly with minor damage to electrical and some exhaust hoses. My exhaust exits the sides of the boat so it comes in contact with some lines for the engine lift and drive. What a mess. Haven't had time to get to shop yet.. hope motor is OK.
I feel like a giant idiot for lettin this happen. I removed all water from the screws under exhaust and from the sea strainer hoses to prepare for winter. Its starting to get cold here in NC. Thanksgiving party came and people wanted to go for ride. After puttin boat in water and idling for about 10 minutes one would think the motor would reingest water.....didn't happen. We live high up on Lake Norman and mechanics won't travel up here via water to winterize. Boat is kept on hydraulic lift on the lake and under cover so it is a bitch to trailer for service. Not blaming the boat for the fire but why would they run hydraulic lines in direct contact with hot exhaust pipes???
Boat is a 27 Ultra Shadow.
ANYBODY ever have experience with this. I hate to see such a beautiful engine compartment covered in white extinguisher dust. what a bitch to clean....

shippingguy
11-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Has anyone lost the water pump impeller in their Blue 525. I have a overheated motor that caught some hydraulic lines on fire. Was able to put fire out pretty quickly with minor damage to electrical and some exhaust hoses. My exhaust exits the sides of the boat so it comes in contact with some lines for the engine lift and drive. What a mess. Haven't had time to get to shop yet.. hope motor is OK.
I feel like a giant idiot for lettin this happen. I removed all water from the screws under exhaust and from the sea strainer hoses to prepare for winter. Its starting to get cold here in NC. Thanksgiving party came and people wanted to go for ride. After puttin boat in water and idling for about 10 minutes one would think the motor would reingest water.....didn't happen. We live high up on Lake Norman and mechanics won't travel up here via water to winterize. Boat is kept on hydraulic lift on the lake and under cover so it is a bitch to trailer for service. Not blaming the boat for the fire but why would they run hydraulic lines in direct contact with hot exhaust pipes???
Boat is a 27 Ultra Shadow.
ANYBODY ever have experience with this. I hate to see such a beautiful engine compartment covered in white extinguisher dust. what a bitch to clean....
In my old 27 Shadow I lost the impeller, but it id not hurt the motor at all (525). I did not have the extensive heat issue that you are explaining though on the electrical and stuff. Which 27 Shadow do you have?

Daytona100
11-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Sounds like you got that badboy smokin hot. Might want to do a compression check and a leakdown test to see if you hurt anything. :idea:

FilthyHaBIT
11-30-2006, 02:41 PM
In my old 27 Shadow I lost the impeller, but it id not hurt the motor at all (525). I did not have the extensive heat issue that you are explaining though on the electrical and stuff. Which 27 Shadow do you have?
I've got the yellow and orange Image Dynamics 27 Shadow. The pipes on the motor turned a brownish hue.....do you have any idea how to turn them back to there glorious chrome self????? The rubber coulpers that connect this exhaust to the gatlin mufflers got crispy ....where to get 4 or 5 inch couplers???

SnakeWrench
11-30-2006, 02:44 PM
History with 525's is that if you overheat them that bad, you will warp the exhaust valves. I have seen the header flanges crack on them also. I agree with Daytona, leak down and comp test.

shippingguy
11-30-2006, 02:45 PM
I've got the yellow and orange Image Dynamics 27 Shadow. The pipes on the motor turned a brownish hue.....do you have any idea how to turn them back to there glorious chrome self????? The rubber coulpers that connect this exhaust to the gatlin mufflers got crispy ....where to get 4 or 5 inch couplers???
My pipes yellowed a bit. I used a real strong metal polish, but it only helped a bit, but mine were only a bit yellow at the manifolds. The only way to get them back to like new is to pull them off and have a shop polish them with a machine. Call Mike Harlan at Ultra Performance (Rigging) 619-443-7950 and I am sure he can get you what you need and ship it out to you. By the way congrats that is a nice boat.

Sigus
11-30-2006, 04:08 PM
I have a question or at least a comment.
I would think the 525 computor would have shut you down once it sensed the engine was overheating.
Reason for saying this is mine lost an impeller, the engine warmed up and the bells and whistles starting going off. Engine was not allowed to run after that of which I am very greatful.
Changed out the impeller, back flush the system to get all the junk out, changed out the exhuast cross over pipe and all is well. Pipes did not change colors.
Pipes get polished on a regular basis with a product called Metal Magic. Easy stuff to work with, smear it on and rub it off. Killer shine.
Good luck hope you don't have any deeper damage.
Sig

Havasu Hangin'
11-30-2006, 04:10 PM
History with 525's is that if you overheat them that bad, you will warp the exhaust valves. I have seen the header flanges crack on them also. I agree with Daytona, leak down and comp test.
Yes. May have dropped a seat, cracked a head, or burned a head gasket....if it got that hot.

1ASKYDV
11-30-2006, 04:13 PM
I would think the 525 computor would have shut you down once it sensed the engine was overheating.
Reason for saying this is mine lost an impeller, the engine warmed up and the bells and whistles starting going off. Engine was not allowed to run after that of which I am very greatful.
Sig
I agree....I blew out a raw water hose in my 525 and all the bells and whistles went off as well. I was at WOT and didn't hear them immediately but the motor shut down to idle on its own.

Keith E. Sayre
11-30-2006, 04:23 PM
I would encourage you to get that leak down and comp
test that Snake Wrench and Daytona 100 talked about.
If you kicked a head gasket out of it there is the possibility
that your $30,000 engine is at least partially full of water.
if there's a significant amount of water in the oil, and you decide to wait until spring to check it out, it won't be worth checking out. Good luck. chances are, it'll be fine.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
if you do the impellar yourself, make sure to get every piece of the old one out and reconstruct it to make sure.

FilthyHaBIT
11-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Changed out the impeller, back flush the system to get all the junk out, changed out the exhuast cross over pipe and all is well. Pipes did not change colors.
Pipes get polished on a regular basis with a product called Metal Magic. Easy stuff to work with, smear it on and rub it off. Killer shine.
Good luck hope you don't have any deeper damage.
Sig
Thanx for the info...I'll try metal magic out. I was told these Smartcraft motors are almost idiot proof and will shut down when somehing goes wrong. I'll be very disappointed if anything major is wrong. Could I have caused this by emptying water out of motor for winterization????? Shouldn't the motor pick up cooling water when started and maybe I didn't let it idle enough before opening her up to get on plane. (Idled for at least 5 mins.)

Sigus
11-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanx for the info...I'll try metal magic out. I was told these Smartcraft motors are almost idiot proof and will shut down when somehing goes wrong. I'll be very disappointed if anything major is wrong. Could I have caused this by emptying water out of motor for winterization????? Shouldn't the motor pick up cooling water when started and maybe I didn't let it idle enough before opening her up to get on plane. (Idled for at least 5 mins.)
FH-
This may seem a strange question... where were you when you idled the boat? Were you still on the trailer just backed down enough to where you thought the drive was in far enough? Reason for asking is if the drive was not far enough in or it appeared to be in and you are still at an angle on the trailer, the pump may not grab suction or create enough head / discharge pressure to clear the motor of air posably causing it to vapor lock and run dry. Mercury has done a great job making these motors (don't take this wrong) idiot prof, but some how we find a way to show them they still have some bugs to work out. A coolant or raw water flow sensor would take it to the next stage.
And you are welcome on the metal magic as it works on everything including a scuffed up rub rail or paint that needs a little extra persuasion to look good.
Sig

Sigus
11-30-2006, 08:27 PM
One last thing.
I always check the exhaust to make sure I have flow coming out.

FilthyHaBIT
12-01-2006, 07:05 AM
FH-
This may seem a strange question... where were you when you idled the boat? Were you still on the trailer just backed down enough to where you thought the drive was in far enough? Reason for asking is if the drive was not far enough in or it appeared to be in and you are still at an angle on the trailer, the pump may not grab suction or create enough head / discharge pressure to clear the motor of air posably causing it to vapor lock and run dry. Mercury has done a great job making these motors (don't take this wrong) idiot prof, but some how we find a way to show them they still have some bugs to work out. A coolant or raw water flow sensor would take it to the next stage.
And you are welcome on the metal magic as it works on everything including a scuffed up rub rail or paint that needs a little extra persuasion to look good.
Sig
Sigus do know where to purchase metal magic???
As far as the boat being fullly submerged...its always in the water when running....we live on the lake and only have to let go the ballast tanks to drop her in the water with the HydroHoist lift.. I Never start the boat until shes pushed out of the boat house. Boat is only trailered for service cause merc racing mechanic is too busy to make house calls by water. Which is why I did the winterazatioin myself and feel like an idiot for F&^%ing the boat up......

boatnam2
12-01-2006, 07:09 AM
learned my lesson this summer and almost burned my new motor if your draining water from motor you might want to prime system with a hose first time out.a sea stariner is a good idea and gives your impeller quick h2o lubrication as compared to the amount of time it takes to get water up to the impeller even worse if your not in good and have less head pressure to help out.pretty much when your on the water the water level and impeller are pretty level easy to for it to pump.when your on a steep ramp and have the boat only in far enough to get the bottom of the drive wet(see this alot on high river current ramps) it is a little work to get the water up to the pump.at least this is what i have been told.

boatnam2
12-01-2006, 07:12 AM
never mind i see you start it in the water,could of just been your impeller went bad that is how they go,one minute there good the next there not.be very careful when flushing out the lines of impeller chunks whatched mine being done and everything was filled with rubber.

Sigus
12-01-2006, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE=FilthyHaBIT]Sigus do know where to purchase metal magic???
As far as the boat being fullly submerged...its always in the water when running....we live on the lake and only have to let go the ballast tanks to drop her in the water with the HydroHoist lift.. I Never start the boat until shes pushed out of the boat house. Boat is only trailered for service cause merc racing mechanic is too busy to make house calls by water. Which is why I did the winterazatioin myself and feel like an idiot for F&^%ing the boat up......[/QUOT
Polish is called Metal Mix, my bad
http://www.valco-cp.com/polishkit.htm

2forcefull
12-09-2006, 04:02 PM
I really doubt if you have motor problems, with out water in the headers, they heat up to 300to 400 degrees at idle and over1000 running takes only a minute to burn plastic hoses and burn the rubber hoses off the headers. In cold climate I doubt the oil even had a chance to get hot. used to run my dragster with no water!!!