PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Focus Group this week...

Froggystyle
12-01-2006, 09:18 AM
I just got randomly chosen from registration data and such for a Rhino, ATV and SSV focus group. The folks were vague as to who was putting it on, but it was clear through a couple of slips on the part of the dingy receptionist that the whole event was by Yamaha. There were a couple of groups too, representing different income brackets.
All I can say is, they are asking the right questions. We got to ask questions of our own, and find out some of the reasons for why it is what it is.
1) size was driven by being able to fit it into a pickup. Nobody in the focus group cared that it fit into a pickup and would prefer wider suspension and track overall.
2) They asked a ton of questions about how upset we would be if it got bigger, with a bigger motor and more expensive. Everyone said they would have bought the larger version
3) Nobody in our income group owned a 450 version.
The questions they were asking and comparing with indicated that they had three engine options available... a 400, 700 and 1000. There were three dash options, from a standard digital dash to a dual display digital dash with more info and gauges to the final trick one with a waterproof radio and a heater.
They were asking about which was better, full seats or half seats, fixed rear seat or a tumble rear seat. Asking which was better, the size it is, smaller or bigger.
My impressions are that the new Rhino is going to have a lot more travel (12" was discussed as an option... up from 7.3" on ours) be a bit wider, have a rear seat, a 1000cc motor option, have a four seat cage, full front seats and a radio/heater dashboard. 27" tires were also mentioned along with a locking rear differential.
My sources indicated as well that most current Rhino parts would not fit directly.
If they build a 1000cc Rhino, I am going to be selling a bad ass 660, as I imagine a lot of people will. I am not going to hold my breath though. I would rather use it for the next year or two happily and enjoy what I have then wait for something better. Right now, it is the king of the hill. If Honda ever does a Hippo... it is going to have to be pretty bad ass to trump what Yamaha has in mind.

GETSOME
12-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Looks like it is a better idea and hold out for the 08s. But do you think they would have all that technology in less then a year?

Froggystyle
12-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Looks like it is a better idea and hold out for the 08s. But do you think they would have all that technology in less then a year?
No way. The concept drawings were just that... none were even on Solidworks. You won't see anything but perhaps a 700efi for 08, and I bet they have more limiters on them than the 07 version. I don't think they are going to go for a better top speed, I think they are going to go for more power down below with better towing and crawling capabilities. They are trying to go even more aggressive on styling. Looks like the Rhino Sports Super Show... I mean the Sand SSS really had an impact on them. I am pretty sure they think that the aftermarket is leading the pack right now, and in order to dominate they need to dominate the aftermarket first. Expect drawings to be available to builders before the vehicle is.
I brought in pics of ours and they asked to keep them. From the enthusiasm, I think that in '09 or so there is going to be a bitchin Rhino available. Until then, I am going to drive the wheels off mine.
I am still thinking about a snowmobile engine for mine. I just want more speed and power. That long travel suspension makes it feel like it is moving in slow motion at full speed.

Magic34
12-01-2006, 09:36 AM
I couldn't see them realistically doing a 1000cc motor in it. The 700 motor has some gerat potential in it. I have a Raptor 700 with dual pipes and I put the smack down at the hill on piped Banshees and most other quads. Now if they have other work, then it is a different story, but every other bike with the same mods has not really beat me and I try to race everyone. I have not raced the new Suzuki 450 yet, and I heard that is a screamer.
35 HP to the rear wheels on a Rhino is about perfect. You are not doing wheelies, but it can do 99% of what you throw at it with that much HP. If they do the 700 motor right in the Rhino, 1-2 mods could get it there easily. The Raptor dynos around 40 HP stock. On my bike with dual pipes, filter and programmer, it makes 52 HP on the dyno.
I think that when they do the 700 and then they have the basic mods available for it, 32-34 Hp probably will get to the rear tires.
A 1000cc motor will just go too fast for the small vehicle it is. I think the question was there to see howm many of the people are more of speed demons and it put all their ansers in a different category, more like "performance Rhino."
Just my opinion.

Magic34
12-01-2006, 09:39 AM
I am still thinking about a snowmobile engine for mine. I just want more speed and power. That long travel suspension makes it feel like it is moving in slow motion at full speed.
I get my Rhino back tomorrow. I did 686 with some tricks to it and it is supposed to make 47 HP to the rear tires. I'll let you know how it works out, but it should much easier/cheaper than dropping the snowmoile motor in it.

GETSOME
12-01-2006, 09:45 AM
With all this talk about the new ones coming out it is hard for me to jump into the 660 for the price right now. I think if the new one comes out with will put the used rhinos in the price range they belong in.

Froggystyle
12-01-2006, 09:46 AM
I get my Rhino back tomorrow. I did 686 with some tricks to it and it is supposed to make 47 HP to the rear tires. I'll let you know how it works out, but it should much easier/cheaper than dropping the snowmoile motor in it.
Maybe I can get a ride in it? You are running something similar to me in the suspension/wheel/tire aspect, correct?
I have information about the lights, but nothing will be set until Monday. They are going to do a run on them using existing stock materials that will still be pre-production, but available much sooner. I will have the inside line on a couple of them. I think they are going to be doing 20 or so, all 40" widths.

Froggystyle
12-01-2006, 09:49 AM
With all this talk about the new ones coming out it is hard for me to jump into the 660 for the price right now. I think if the new one comes out with will put the used rhinos in the price range they belong in.
Let me know how that works out for you. :D I will be unavailable by cell phone though... I am usually out in the Rhino on weekends.
I wouldn't nuke it out too badly. All of this is whiskey talk right now. Currently, the Rhino is the best available, they have a great re-sale and are wonderful little creatures. I wouldn't worry so much about what may or may not be coming.
BTW, just got off the phone with Alba, they have not heard of any reduction in availability. They can order them right now. There was a shortage for a while because demand is exceeding supply, but they have been having that problem since they started selling them. My Rhino came from a different dealer, as did a bunch of them. The East coast dealers are selling their allotments to West coast dealers daily.
The sky isn't falling... you can get them, you will be able to get them and if it gets better, you will be able to sell it.

Magic34
12-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Maybe I can get a ride in it? You are running something similar to me in the suspension/wheel/tire aspect, correct?
I have information about the lights, but nothing will be set until Monday. They are going to do a run on them using existing stock materials that will still be pre-production, but available much sooner. I will have the inside line on a couple of them. I think they are going to be doing 20 or so, all 40" widths.
I am taking it to the dunes next weekend (Dec 8-10). You are more than welcome to ride/drive it. My suspension is ready, just waiting on new Gorilla axles right now. hope to have it installed next Wednesday or Thursday. Tires, I am running 25" Maxxis Bighorns. It should be 100% done for the new years trip (paint as well).
On those lights... You said they were brighter than 2 HIDs (like 6"?) correct?

Froggystyle
12-01-2006, 10:13 AM
I am taking it to the dunes next weekend (Dec 8-10). You are more than welcome to ride/drive it. My suspension is ready, just waiting on new Gorilla axles right now. hope to have it installed next Wednesday or Thursday. Tires, I am running 25" Maxxis Bighorns. It should be 100% done for the new years trip (paint as well).
On those lights... You said they were brighter than 2 HIDs (like 6"?) correct?
They dusted two HID's. Rated power output in lumens is something like nearly three HID's, but it seems a lot brighter since it is so columnated. Add the 10" down below and it has better light dispersion and seems brighter with better color than a four HID setup I have seen. Shining both rigs against the wall, the LED array actually ate up the light put out by the HID's, and when you shut off the HID's you couldn't really tell on the wall.
They are really focused, and I hope they pull the pattern out a little bit for these versions. I calculated the throw while out and about last weekend, and the throw of the lights is about 3.5 times the stopping distance at 45mph. You can't outrun them with a Rhino.

2Driver
12-01-2006, 10:15 AM
That's it I'm selling mine :D :D

ChumpChange
12-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Let me know how that works out for you. :D I will be unavailable by cell phone though... I am usually out in the Rhino on weekends.
I wouldn't nuke it out too badly. All of this is whiskey talk right now. Currently, the Rhino is the best available, they have a great re-sale and are wonderful little creatures. I wouldn't worry so much about what may or may not be coming.
BTW, just got off the phone with Alba, they have not heard of any reduction in availability. They can order them right now. There was a shortage for a while because demand is exceeding supply, but they have been having that problem since they started selling them. My Rhino came from a different dealer, as did a bunch of them. The East coast dealers are selling their allotments to West coast dealers daily.
The sky isn't falling... you can get them, you will be able to get them and if it gets better, you will be able to sell it.
Sounds like the Rhino thread just turned into a Real Estate Thread.

Ivan Dan
12-01-2006, 10:48 AM
I think if/when the new ones come out they will be a whole new ball game. If they truly are larger, wider, more power, more travel and etc. they will probably be considerably higher in price. I would even go out on a limb here and say they will end up in the $20k range price. To me this makes 2 seperate categories of vehicles and 2 seperate uses. I LOVE the fact that I can load my Rhino in the bed of my truck and be gone in a matter of minutes. I don't have to worry about going 55 with a trailer or not being able to run in the carpool or Fastrak (which I do frequently).

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 10:55 AM
I think if/when the new ones come out they will be a whole new ball game. If they truly are larger, wider, more power, more travel and etc. they will probably be considerably higher in price. I would even go out on a limb here and say they will end up in the $20k range price. To me this makes 2 seperate categories of vehicles and 2 seperate uses. I LOVE the fact that I can load my Rhino in the bed of my truck and be gone in a matter of minutes. I don't have to worry about going 55 with a trailer or not being able to run in the carpool or Fastrak (which I do frequently).
So your saying your gonna sell yours for the new faster one:D;)
<----- didn't get an invite to the Focus group:D :crossx: (I would have told them 1000cc minimum for 5K less than the current Rhinos)

Froggystyle
12-01-2006, 10:59 AM
So your saying your gonna sell yours for the new faster one:D;)
<----- didn't get an invite to the Focus group:D :crossx: (I would have told them 1000cc minimum for 5K less than the current Rhinos)
I told them I would pay $18K for a 1000cc with long travel and four seats.

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 11:05 AM
I told them I would pay $18K for a 1000cc with long travel and four seats.
Thats a fair price. :)

Magic34
12-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Thats a fair price. :)
Wow, you said a price was fair.
Oh wait, doesn't mean you would offer 80 cents though. :D

Magic34
12-01-2006, 11:22 AM
They dusted two HID's. Rated power output in lumens is something like nearly three HID's, but it seems a lot brighter since it is so columnated. Add the 10" down below and it has better light dispersion and seems brighter with better color than a four HID setup I have seen. Shining both rigs against the wall, the LED array actually ate up the light put out by the HID's, and when you shut off the HID's you couldn't really tell on the wall.
They are really focused, and I hope they pull the pattern out a little bit for these versions. I calculated the throw while out and about last weekend, and the throw of the lights is about 3.5 times the stopping distance at 45mph. You can't outrun them with a Rhino.
My buddy has 4 6" Vision X HIDs on his light bar, and 2 on the bumper. At the hill at night, he can turn on the light bar and it lights up damn near the whole hill. So what you are saying is that it will do that? Or is it not going to throw the distance the HIDs do?
If it is 75% of what his HIDs do, I am totally sold. The wife is going to kick my a$$.

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Wow, you said a price was fair.
Oh wait, doesn't mean you would offer 80 cents though. :D
Don't confuse cheap and thrifty:D
I was gonna offer you 10K for that sweet diesel but your kinda greedy so I saved the bandwidth;) :crossx:

Magic34
12-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Don't confuse cheap and thrifty:D
I was gonna offer you 10K for that sweet diesel but your kinda greedy so I saved the bandwidth;) :crossx:
That's right sucka :D

Froggystyle
12-01-2006, 11:48 AM
My buddy has 4 6" Vision X HIDs on his light bar, and 2 on the bumper. At the hill at night, he can turn on the light bar and it lights up damn near the whole hill. So what you are saying is that it will do that? Or is it not going to throw the distance the HIDs do?
If it is 75% of what his HIDs do, I am totally sold. The wife is going to kick my a$$.
I would say depending on the spread, this will be brighter in a smaller area than that rig, but not flood anywhere near as much as six lights aimed properly. After all, this is one light. I am thinking about rebuilding the front bumper to accept another 10" light and have about a 4 degree angle out from the center. A little side-spread in the near field is what it needs.
Also, last I checked six HID's were about $2500 minimum, probably closer to $3K with good ones. The 40" is going to sell for $1,000, and the 10" for $370 or so last I heard.
I like these better than the HID's. I think that for now, the ultimate rig would be a pair of HID's on the bumper with a flood spread and one of these 40" plasma cannons on the roof. I have never seen anything cut through dust or throw farther than this rig. Anyone who sees it light up uses the immediate word "Damn!". Additionally, they are immediately at full brightness, which is nice especially if you are trying to get HID's to spool up.

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 11:53 AM
That's right sucka :D
I think you need to hire me as your lead purchasing agent:D :crossx:
<---- good with people and a hard worker:D :p

djunkie
12-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Speaking of which, I think soon we need to load up our overpriced toys in the back of our trucks and go somewhere. :rollside: :rollside:

Magic34
12-01-2006, 12:04 PM
I think you need to hire me as your lead purchasing agent:D :crossx:
<---- good with people and a hard worker:D :p
Now I get to play the game.
You're hired!!! 40 hours a week, 2 weeks vacation per year on weekends, no benefits. $8k/year!

phebus
12-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Was the focus group held at the Betty Ford Clinic? If not, should have been. :)

Magic34
12-01-2006, 12:06 PM
I would say depending on the spread, this will be brighter in a smaller area than that rig, but not flood anywhere near as much as six lights aimed properly. After all, this is one light. I am thinking about rebuilding the front bumper to accept another 10" light and have about a 4 degree angle out from the center. A little side-spread in the near field is what it needs.
Also, last I checked six HID's were about $2500 minimum, probably closer to $3K with good ones. The 40" is going to sell for $1,000, and the 10" for $370 or so last I heard.
I like these better than the HID's. I think that for now, the ultimate rig would be a pair of HID's on the bumper with a flood spread and one of these 40" plasma cannons on the roof. I have never seen anything cut through dust or throw farther than this rig. Anyone who sees it light up uses the immediate word "Damn!". Additionally, they are immediately at full brightness, which is nice especially if you are trying to get HID's to spool up.
The cost of HIDs is still why I am running my PIAA 520s up front. I was going to get another pair of those and run 4 on the light bar and replace the stock bulbs, but I'm liking the LEDs. :D Does he need some cool billet mounts machined? :D

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Now I get to play the game.
You're hired!!! 40 hours a week, 2 weeks vacation per year on weekends, no benefits. $8k/year!
I can see we are on the same page;)
Now my counter!!!
$556,000 a year with unlimited vacation and 5K a month toy allowance :crossx:
I also want full medical/dental with a key to the executive washroom....Oh and a big corner office that I will never be at because I want to telecommute from my house. :rollside: :idea:
Think we can meet somewhere in the middle???!! :crossx: :p :D
When your car/boat is so dirty it makes you want to cry......reach for the Dri-Wash that is :crossx: :crossx: :p

Magic34
12-01-2006, 12:25 PM
I can see we are on the same page;)
Now my counter!!!
$556,000 a year with unlimited vacation and 5K a month toy allowance :crossx:
I also want full medical/dental with a key to the executive washroom....Oh and a big corner office that I will never be at because I want to telecommute from my house. :rollside: :idea:
Think we can meet somewhere in the middle???!! :crossx: :p :D
When your car/boat is so dirty it makes you want to cry......reach for the Dri-Wash that is :crossx: :crossx: :p
You drive a hard bargin. Sorry it wont work out. I only have a budget for $95k fot that, so I'll be placing the ads monday actually. Good luck on your other job findings.

Ivan Dan
12-01-2006, 12:27 PM
One concern I have with these things is how well they will hold up. I know you don't have a lot of offroad miles on yours yet but they take some serious abuse in the desert. Seems like they would be great for the sand guys though.

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 12:45 PM
You drive a hard bargin. Sorry it wont work out. I only have a budget for $95k fot that, so I'll be placing the ads monday actually. Good luck on your other job findings.
95K huh
<----- could be your man!! :p :rollside: :idea:

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 12:45 PM
One concern I have with these things is how well they will hold up. I know you don't have a lot of offroad miles on yours yet but they take some serious abuse in the desert. Seems like they would be great for the sand guys though.
They don't have anything on the tomcat 500's :crossx:

riverracerx
12-01-2006, 01:16 PM
HMnnnnnnnn. :rollside:

Froggystyle
12-01-2006, 02:19 PM
One concern I have with these things is how well they will hold up. I know you don't have a lot of offroad miles on yours yet but they take some serious abuse in the desert. Seems like they would be great for the sand guys though.3
I heard third-hand that a well known racer's pre-runner that is running these lights cased a ditch pretty hard and shot everything that wasn't welded to the frame off into the desert about 100 feet. These lights included. After dusting them off, re-wiring the torn leads and bolting them back to the roof, the lights worked perfectly.
I don't see much to fail on them. Solid state, sealed and built well. Plus, there is no filament shake in the light pattern at all. They look solid as a rock.
I am not saying they are for everyone. I went pretty far out of my way to run them though, and I took two Acro HID's off when I installed them. I like them better.
And the Acro's are already sold... don't bother asking... ;)

djunkie
12-01-2006, 02:26 PM
And the Acro's are already sold... don't bother asking... ;)
Errrrrr!!!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx: