PDA

View Full Version : whats up with runner bottoms?

DetroitJim
01-14-2002, 08:39 PM
Okay, so tell me, how much better or faster is a hull with shallow tunnels vs. a true flattie? Is a "2 inch runner bottom" faster, better, smoother than a "7/8 runner bottom"? Do they respond differently to trim or motor and prop placement? Or should I forget flats and look for a tunnel hull v-drive??
DetroitJim

Infomaniac
01-15-2002, 08:34 AM
Detroit Jim: A tunnel v-drive is the best combination imaginable. Good luck finding one. If you are race only, a hydro is the ticket. for lake race use the v-drive tunnel is a way better choice. Drive them just like a flat bottom. Do not have to worry about water conditions. If you really want one,I have one for sale minus engine. Send me an e-mail.
[This message has been edited by Infomaniac (edited January 15, 2002).]

superdave013
01-15-2002, 09:53 AM
Info, I have seen a few of them but so far yours is the only one that has worked good. The others were all 19' elimator daytons and they were slow slugs.
I lke what you said about cougar shorting up the center sponson. i think that could be one of the keys to it. If I had the spare cash and some space your boat would be mine right now!

boat030
01-15-2002, 01:53 PM
detroitjim, do yourself a favor and forget you ever heard of a tunnel v-drive. as far as runner bottoms they are head and shoulders above a true flat in every imaginable way and there are plenty of good 5/8 runners available. there is also no shortage of people that can help you make one go fast. good luck.

DetroitJim
01-15-2002, 02:31 PM
Infomaniac, I've seen pics of your boat. I've ridden in a Cougar v-drive, it was incredible. 113 mph and rock steady, smooth in choppy water. For drag racing, I'll agree that flats have an advantage in acceleration but I'm looking for speed and smooth ride in a 19-21 ft. boat. My flat is faster than most boats, but I have to back off unless it's smooth which is rare.

superdave013
01-15-2002, 03:04 PM
For what you are doing it sounds like it's time to move away from flatbottoms. Nothing is more fun to drive that a kick ass flat on good water. But when it gets choppy who wants to head for the trailer right.
I agree that Info's boat is the shit but you might want to look for a v-drive v bottom also. I have a 20' schiada that works real well in the sloppy water. A 21' schiada would even be better.

Heads up
01-15-2002, 03:04 PM
A v-drive tunnel? Where the hell are you guys from? If your looking for something that could be fast and do good in rough water you should maybe go with a old SS, K or PS circle boat. (Biesemeyer or D'cucci) Thats what they are made for. Granted they won't be as fast as a runner bottom but they do go about 110 to 115 in some pretty rough water. If your interested let me know.

DetroitJim
01-15-2002, 07:50 PM
Well, nothing like a lively controversy for me. But I have made back to back runs with the boats in my club, going from my Sanger flat at 94 to a Fresno v-bottom v-drive at 90 and to a Cougar v-drive that has gone 127. It was literally like riding on air. My flat rides so rough that I have been nearly thrown out at 80 mph. I cannot go out on a big lake full of boats with the wind over 20 mph which is typical here. What exactly is the hull configuration of a SS or K boat that is superior to a tunnel? Are they fast because they have big power? Going back to my original question, are deeper tunnels on a runner bottom better, if so, why is a tunnel v-drive no good?
Hey Dave, did you get my email? That's what this thread is about.
DJ
[This message has been edited by DetroitJim (edited January 15, 2002).]

boat030
01-15-2002, 08:33 PM
i agree with heads up a v-drive tunnel is ok if you're from arkansas. a v-bottom v-drive schiada is a good boat but the new ones are not that stable at high speeds (80+) the older ones might fit what you are looking for. What about an older eliminator v-bottom.I believe Rayson-craft still makes a shallow -v that would be a good rough water boat.

Infomaniac
01-15-2002, 09:14 PM
This is pretty good debate. DetroitJim. I sold my DiMarco runner bottom to buy the Cougar. The main reason was water conditions. Watching the tunnel boats run around while I sat on the bank. I rode in a tunnel and was very impressed.
Mostly drag racing around here so I did not consider a v-bottom v-drive. There are a bunch of them out there that work well but not around here. And of those they are not drag racing them.
I wanted to couple the most efficient hull design with the most efficient drive. I always wondered why I did not see any running around. After asking around, the local drag boaters said a tunnel does not work with a v-drive. (Old School)
After hearing that I had to see for myself. To make a long story short. They do work and they work very well. As long as they are not a converted jet boat. Anyone that disagrees should go for a ride in mine. I will let you drive.
Boat030 how did you know I was born in Arkansas?

Heads up
01-16-2002, 07:58 AM
The boats I'm talking about are (SS and K) for the most part a true flat but they do have a very shallow v in them. Yes the K's have big power with 500+ cid blown injected on alcohol chevys and will run 140 set up right in a foot of chop. However the SS boats only run 427s with no head work and a single 4. And they will run 115 down the straights with a foot of chop also. These would be my choice for a good lake racers with the ability to run in some pretty rough water. Plus you still have the ability to adjust the cavation plate with you foot, something I'm pretty sure you can't do with a tunnel v-drive. The D'cuccis also has a small cut away that resembles a t-deck flat. Just my thoughts, if a tunnel was so great why don't they run them more at the drags?? Infomanic, what do you run in and with your v-drive tunnel? Why can't you change a jet tunnel to a v-drive? I'd love to go for a ride in your boat as long as I can take you for a ride in mine. Anyone heard any new on the 1st annual Camaro Cuts Nationals? I think its a 1/8 mile drag deal out in Arkansas area.

boat030
01-16-2002, 08:13 AM
infomaniac, it was just an educated guess. I would like to see a time slip or some other kind of proof that a v-drive tunnel could run any kind of respectable #. You are right that most of the ones you see are converted jet boats and that does not seem to work at all.

DetroitJim
01-16-2002, 10:34 AM
http://community.webshots.com/photo/25674094/25674286wgtAiafMRF
If this pic doesnt work, go to: webshotshttp://community.webshots.com/photo/25674094/25674286wgtAiafMRF
This Cougar v-drive is just like Info's boat. Apparently the center pod is higher on a v-drive rig. After riding in it at 113, I'm just as sold as Info is on the design. I just can't find one in my price range. I'm looking at a Sanger runner bottom and an Eliminator Firehawk but it's a stern drive.

superdave013
01-16-2002, 11:11 AM
Headsup, What lake only has 1 foot of chop? Those days are long gone out here. If you're sitting still out on the lake in a Biesemeyer and some wakeboard boat (3' + wake) goes by it will swamp and sink that Biesemeyer right now. Don't get me wrong, I love Biesemeyers. My next project will be building a k boat. I have a blown injected BBC left over from my drag racing days that will only require a few changes. I know all about the ss and k boats. I have been around them for a long time. I'm not going to race it but just run it around for grins. But for an ALL AROUND lake boat they suck. I think in the rough water a GN or ski race boat would eat one up. (more than 1 foot of chop) Don't think so? Maybe this summer we can pair your ss boat up beside my 20' schiada and run dam to dam at Parker on a busy Saturday after noon. We could do it at this years v-driver regatta. Sure you will get out front but you will have to lift when the water gets nasty and I'll pass you. We will have about the same top end so it will come down to boat handling.
Jim, a runner bottom will ride no better in chop than your true flat. As a matter a fact your boat should handle better. Both will beat the shit out of you. That boat you sent me the pic of is a nice looking river boat but it's no hard core drag boat. I think the one you have is cleaner.

Heads up
01-16-2002, 12:25 PM
Oh yes almighty "Super ex dragboat racer and know it all of all boats Dave" You are right a biesmeyer wouldn't be that practically sitting on Havasu on the 4th of July. And yes theses boat wouldn't be my choice either to put my wife and kids in and go wake boarding for the day. But to me it sounded like this guy was looking for more of a good fast boat that would be alright in less than par water??? Yes a GN would be good but they are uglier than my first wife on our wedding night. Also they a pretty heavy so you are going to need a good power plant, something in the range of 900+ to make them get out of there own way. Just thought I'd mention my thoughts but I just got shot down by Super boat god Dave instead. Hey Dave I'm down to race yeah dam to dam anytime, just don't go old school and bust out any of your old blown gas tricks on me. Oh yeah since you know so much about ss and Ks, you should also know we don't just run 1 foot chop and we don't let off when we see big waves. Talk to ya soon.

future boater
01-16-2002, 12:54 PM
so let me get this straight. they raise the center pod so in effet they are basically making it a hydro with more freeboard and taller sponsons?

superdave013
01-16-2002, 01:00 PM
Any time Jeff. Hey, why do you guys get a new screen name every other time you post?
I didn't think I shot you down. I just asked you what lake only has 1' of chop and pointed out that those boats will sink pretty easy around today’s larger boats is all.
1 foot of chop seems like pretty smooth water by today’s standards.
So what ss boat are you driving? Maybe this season we will swap some paint.
From your tone I could swear you were a pro gas flat driver.
I think the GN's look pretty nice so I'm sure your first wife is not that ugly.
"Super ex dragboat racer and know it all of all boats Dave"? I know more than some but allot less then others. I'm sure I know allot less than you do and sorry if I offend you again.

boat030
01-16-2002, 02:21 PM
F.B., that description would not fit because the sponsons run all the way to the back of the boat so it runs on the prop and the back of the sponsons not like a hydro that runs on the prop and the sponsons on the front of the boat.

superdave013
01-16-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by boat030:
i agree with heads up a v-drive tunnel is ok if you're from arkansas. a v-bottom v-drive schiada is a good boat but the new ones are not that stable at high speeds (80+) the older ones might fit what you are looking for. What about an older eliminator v-bottom.I believe Rayson-craft still makes a shallow -v that would be a good rough water boat.
Boat030, Do you know what Schiada changed on the newer boats to make them unstable? I'm just curious though because I could ever afford a new one. I'm a poor boy with a '78.

boatguy222
01-16-2002, 03:12 PM
Boat030,
Same question as SuperDave!!!!!

Backfire
01-16-2002, 03:12 PM
This place is starting to look like the "Cats and Tunnels" board- geez, an opinion was asked and Dave expressed one. Yeah, Dave has a fair amount of experience and it gives him additional credibility. Why should anybody have a problem with that? Dave can kinda come off as a knowitall occasionally, but if you've read ALL his stuff, you'd see that he's a somewhat modest guy that has formed some strong opinions through experience.According to AzDon, every board out here needs 5 guys just like Dave to keep their relevance and traffic volume.

Backfire
01-16-2002, 03:22 PM
And another thing.... I'm not aware of any line of v-drive boats that fills as many criteria simultaneously as does the Schiadas. The reality for most guys is that it has to be safe, comfortable, suitably quiet, good in rough water, and be able to carry people and stuff, or else the rest of the family is thumbs down on the thing.

boat030
01-16-2002, 03:24 PM
s.d. and boatguy,that was probably a little bit too general of a statement i have a good friend with a new schiada i would guess around 24'long it is an offshore style boat (and as an aside probably one of the most beautifully finished boats i've ever seen) the thing is at speeds around 80mph it doesn't seem to be very stable. I've had some experience with the older ones like the ski race styles and i have always been very impressed with how they ride. just my opinion for what it is worth.

boat030
01-16-2002, 03:35 PM
backfire i would have to agree with you about the schiada's being a great all-around line of boats i didn't mean to sound like i was bashing them.

spectras only
01-16-2002, 03:52 PM
If you interested in a boat that rides good in rough water with the kids and wife on board ,dave's right.Get an older schiada,howard hallett or a spectra.All of these boats earned their reputation in no less than the Catalina channel skirace.The earlier boats pre 80's had lower deadrise [12-16degree]which yielded high speeds and were very stable.A tunnell hull would be the choice if higher speed is your goal. Hallett has two 21 foot models ,21 vector with 16 degree for performance and a 21 standard model with 18 degree for more family type boating.Mike Avila's 20 spectra with twin 250 outboards could run into the 100's without much fanfare.Kurt Schoen rode behind a 21 schiada in the channel to become champion several times.I observed the same as Dave,the lakes are rough 70% of the time [due to ever increasing winds all the time around Okanagan Lakes ]My 20 Spectra takes it with ease ,but the 19 gets tossed around and swamped if you not careful.My friend's flatbottom Hondo is suicidal most of the time to say the least.If his engine brakes down ,he's better to have a buddy standing by to tow him ,before sunk by waves.

future boater
01-16-2002, 04:26 PM
the thumbs up is for super dave. granted im not very old, but im old enough to know he is modest and knowledgeable. thats more than i can say for most. keep it up sd013
boat 030 so why would the tunnel perform better than the hydro? because there is more running surface? or the fact that there is more freeboard to protect the motor.

superdave013
01-16-2002, 05:04 PM
Backfire & future boater, Hey thanks for the kind words. I try when I can. But if Heads up is who I think he is. The he has done way more and has forgotten more then I'll ever do or know. But for some reason he comes out swinging at me? It must be because I'm kinda buddies with one of his competitors I guess.

boat030
01-16-2002, 06:11 PM
F.B., i think you might have misunderstood me i never said a tunnell would out perform a hydro, in smooth water there is no faster configuration than a hydro however they are not very usefull in even slightly choppy water. A v-drive tunnel might have some attributes in rough water but no matter what the water conditions they have flaws that cause them to fight themselves as they try to go faster as the boat speeds up the air pack and the angle of the prop both try to push the boat out of the water making the boat dramatically more dangerous the faster it goes instead of the air pack trying to lift the boat and the prop pushing it forward like in a stearn drive cat or the prop both lifting the boat and pushing it forward like in a flatbottom. i hope this made some sence i'm not very eloquent with a keyboard.

future boater
01-16-2002, 06:20 PM
i'm not very good with a keyboard either. what i meant to say was in rough water. you answered my question very well thankx!

superdave013
01-16-2002, 07:16 PM
Boat030,
You gotta see the pics of Infomainic's tunnel at speed. He has some shots of it going over some nasty rollers @ 127mph. It looks pretty sweet to me. He runs a blown injected alki BBC on a soft tune up.
But your post does make sense. I could see how it would try to drive the nose down but his does not seem to have that problem.
All of the ones I have seen in person didn't seem to work to good.

boat030
01-16-2002, 08:04 PM
s.d., i would like to see that picture maybe infomaniac could e-mail it to me. i have heard good things about the cougar boat but i've never seen or heard of one with a v-drive.

Riptide01
01-16-2002, 08:15 PM
Jeeezzzzzz, You guys..
Isn't it all about personnal preferance and budget..Have fun with what you can run.

Stab-n-Steer
01-17-2002, 06:22 AM
Ripper,
Well said! Run what you brung and have fun! Boys and their toys...This is starting to look like a NASCAR forum I use to participate in... Super Dave has a thick skin and he is some of the "glue" that holds this thing together. I'm sure he's not going to be run off by such banter. I for one appreciate his help and knowledge.
I do want to see that race however!
S&S
[This message has been edited by Stab-n-Steer (edited January 17, 2002).]

Infomaniac
01-17-2002, 07:21 AM
SuperDave; thanks for sticking up for me and I would ignore dumb-ass comments directed toward me just as you did.
Raising the center sponson is how to make one work. If you take a tunnel built for a jet and mount a strut under it, the boat will try and ride on the center only. Not handle well.
Boat030 What would you consider a respectable time for a lake boat? This one will run high 8 sec. 1/4 mile with a small tune up.
It has plates and pedals just like a flat bottom. Drives the same.
I am aware of some of them having high speed handling problems. Running a 13" rudder is the cure for this. I had several people tell me that they prop walk the rear end around at speed. Craig Taylor from Cookson warned me about it. Cougar was smart enough to install that rudder. The boat is layed up for the lake. It weighs about 800 lbs.
Jim Wilkes from Hot Boat has built a few v-drive tunnels recently. He was one to say they do not work also. He must have ridden in one to change his mind.

LeE ss13
01-17-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by DetroitJim:
Okay, so tell me, how much better or faster is a hull with shallow tunnels vs. a true flattie? Is a "2 inch runner bottom" faster, better, smoother than a "7/8 runner bottom"? Do they respond differently to trim or motor and prop placement? Or should I forget flats and look for a tunnel hull v-drive??
DetroitJim
I think can add something to the first part of this question. Running with NJBA years ago, I took a mild 427 out of a true flattie that ran 84 mph and without changing anything to the engine, and put into a Kurtis Kraft runner and it ran 96 mph. So in my case it was a 14% increase for a boat that runs under 100 mph. Now about the depth of the runners, Irv Brendel (of Hondo Boats I think) built a 3" runner on his Brendella boats in the 80s. Tom L. from AME ran one in the PGF class and I think it had some top end handling problems and crashed at Chowchilla.
---------
LeE ss13

boat030
01-17-2002, 09:33 AM
info, i just got your e-mail and i must admit it looks like it runs perfect. i also e-mailed you a picture of my last boat.

superdave013
01-17-2002, 10:21 AM
boat030, Could you post your pic here so we all could see. I would like to see your ride too.

DetroitJim
01-17-2002, 02:01 PM
Thank you ss13 for finally answering my question!! I'm looking at a 5/8 or 7/8? runner bottom for race only. (well..sorta.) My flat feels stuck to the water at speed.
Jim

superdave013
01-17-2002, 02:55 PM
Jim, I didn't know it was a race only type of deal. I would stay away from that Sanger and look for a Cole TR2 or something like that. Talk to Costello or Hang Fin as they are more into the race scean than I am. They might know of a well set up boat that's for sale right now.

boat030
01-17-2002, 04:18 PM
jim, if your looking for a race boat i know where there is a pretty nice dimarco 5/8 runner that could be had for pretty cheap. let me know if your interested. my first race boat was a dimarco it was an excelent boat a little heavy but very fast 8.13 sec. 1/4 mile with a carburated 470 chevy.

boat030
01-17-2002, 04:25 PM
superdave, i have no clue how to post a picture on here. i sent it to infomaniac maybe if he knows how he could post it for me.

Costello
01-18-2002, 03:15 PM
Dave, I'm a dumbass, just ask Headsup7up.[ http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif] I would say you Dave; who has raced boats since the tender age of twelve, have no need to offer apologies to anyone here, and hands down have more technical knowledge and background than those who are challenging you or trying to defame you upon these pages. I can attest to the handling of the Cougar V-Drive tunnel as I have seen "Uncle Roy's" run and it rides so different than the Brendella tunnel V-Drive or Eliminator tunnel V-Drive that I have seen. I agree with 030 that in theory the V-Drive tunnel is like a jet flat or jet hydro; not real sound, but somehow Cougar seems to have gotten around this engineering obstacle and they are a great boat. Uncle Roy's looks similar to Info's but he runs a naturally aspirated Chevy in his. It runs up around 100mph or over I can't recall exact numbers.

JWM
01-18-2002, 07:19 PM
Infomaniac, you are correct. I was not a fan of tunnel V-Drive's like Cougar but after riding in Allen Burg's at one of the Cougar regatta's learned I was wrong. I have build two Cougar's for out of state coustomers. Sam Corbett has one in Ohio. It's a twin turbo 468 with a turbo 400 trans. He pulls a 29 gear 6500 with a 11 1/2 16 custom built two blade prop. You do the math. Take off in second, rpm to 6000 and shift. Boost pressure is 12 lbs. Dyno showed 923 ft lbs. at 6200 RPM.
The second Cougar went to Jay Forbes in Memphis. Still under construction. Jay's going to drag raced this boat. First race IHBA in April at Phoenix.
Tom at Cougar has found the botton combo that makes the Cougar work. I might build one of myself this year. THEY WORK.
Jim Wilkes
Wilkes Marine

Costello
01-18-2002, 07:33 PM
Dave, as to the fella who is trying to razz you here, his name is not Jeff. The real Jeff just called me and assured me it is not him. He does know who it is I believe, as they share a common workplace, thus the same IP as several others here. The real Heads Up has some knowledge he could share as himself, no need to pose as a John Deere tractor restoration specialist. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif

superdave013
01-18-2002, 07:45 PM
I'm glad it's not Jeff. I have read allot of stuff Jeff posts over at the dragboat board and he really knows what's up and seems to share it and all of the history. I lurk on that triva thread allot.
I'm sure this other guy is some guy that really does drive an s.s. and K boat and just took offence to what I said about them. That is why I tried to clarify myself that they are great boats but maybe not the best lake boat is all. Like I said, my next flat will be K boat style so I can (just like he said) run hard in the rough and get my flat fix.
I do hope he posts more and shares his knowledge and experience with us.
Jim, about time I see you posting here!

Infomaniac
01-18-2002, 09:11 PM
JWM Glad to see you posting here also. Jay is going to drag race a 21' version? I would think a 19' would a better choice for that. I hope it turns out well. I do not remember if I said thanks after I finished mine. Some of the tech info you provided was very helpful. I will have to send you a pic of how I tied the strut to the stringers. It worked out well. Are you up for some math? I ended up with 37% gears 7,700 RPM and 11 1/2 16 prop.
Never did put a big tune up on it. It needs more gear but I think I will have to machine the water passeges to get bigger gears in. What do you think? How about you Superdave? how big a gear can you go without making room.

superdave013
01-19-2002, 03:58 AM
Info, you can fit 40's with no problem. But schiada96 told me he got 45's to fit by taking a drum sander to the jacket a little bit. I was going to see if I could do the same thing and squeeze some 48's in mine. I have two sets of them if you want the other set.
Do the math with some 48's and a bigger tune up!

JWM
01-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Infomaniac:
JWM Glad to see you posting here also. Jay is going to drag race a 21' version? I would think a 19' would a better choice for that. I hope it turns out well. I do not remember if I said thanks after I finished mine. Some of the tech info you provided was very helpful. I will have to send you a pic of how I tied the strut to the stringers. It worked out well. Are you up for some math? I ended up with 37% gears 7,700 RPM and 11 1/2 16 prop.
Never did put a big tune up on it. It needs more gear but I think I will have to machine the water passeges to get bigger gears in. What do you think? How about you Superdave? how big a gear can you go without making room.

JWM
01-19-2002, 02:39 PM
Infomaniac, Jay's Cougar is a 21. He wants to do dual duty. Race and Play. I gave you the wrong gear ratio on Sam's Cougar. He has 1.37 in the box. This is the largest gear that would fit without removing some inside material.
I feel Cougau's 19 would be better for drag racing but the 21 will be a better all around play boat
I read the Hot Boat V-Drive on-line often but I don't always have time to give info. Most often you guys have the right answers and why should I add my two cents. Sometimes a get a big laugh out of some of the answewrs. It's great to see all the V-Drive guys helping each other.

Infomaniac
01-19-2002, 07:59 PM
JWM Oh yea I read you guys were trying to fix Brett Bayne up with a ride in a v-drive. I volunteer for that. He was kind enough to put the Cougar in the October edition. I can promise all the acceleration he can handle. Let me know when you are coming through Oklahoma.

Heads up
01-21-2002, 01:28 AM
No I am not Jeff! I am however a guy named Cole that works with the real Jeff. I'm sorry for the mix up and that I didn't get it cleared up sooner! I know how it goes judging someone you think you know but you really don't, I've done it myself. I do still believe a old SS or K boat like my own, would be a good lake racer as I stated earlier! And yes Dave I'm still down for the race "dam to dam" this summer. Oh yeah how do you guys know I don't restore old John Dear tractors? I did grow up in a farming town in northern nevada and spent most of my early mornings before school swathing hay. It also led me to repairing and restoring old tractors when I have extra time. Once again sorry for the mix up SD, Costello and Jeff.

126driver
01-21-2002, 11:27 AM
Hey Headsup,
Do you run a K or SS? If so, maybe I know you. And maybe I can borrow a beer from you sometime!
Scott

GSR
01-21-2002, 11:45 AM
Hello Me Hearty's. I've missed all of you so much. Who are we making fun of anyways? Alas we shall play on the boards again. Arrrggghhh

RiverDave2
01-21-2002, 02:00 PM
And yes Dave I'm still down for the race "dam to dam" this summer. [/B]
Anyone want to take bets on this? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
I'm down for a 100.00 on SuperDave.
Of course if we can get Infomaniac to come down he'll spank both your asses, thus answering the question, Does a V-Drive Tunnel really work? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
RD

schiada96
01-21-2002, 02:56 PM
I'd run too but I'm too new to going fast that far - plus I get scared

superdave013
01-21-2002, 03:16 PM
RiverDave, You're a brave man betting on me. Remember my deal is not proven and still scattered all over the floor right now! I talked shit and he called me on it! Damm, I hate it when that happens. lol A dam to dam flat out run will be fun. We just can't set the date here online. If we do that Boat Cop and his buddies will be waiting for us!
Heads up, You're right, you ss deal would be a great lake racer. The guy who started this thread has Sangers version of the SS boats. I know it's no Biesemeyer but it's a true flat with original gelcoat and is super clean. It's got a blown big block too. I guess that's why he's asking about runners as he already has a true flat.
I don't know were Costello got the tractor stuff from. But if that's you thing so be it. I know people get in to that old iron too. I've just never known the same guy to be in to that and K boats. Seems like you'd be into tractor pulling?
Like 126 driver asked, are you racing your boat now? If so we might see each other out there. A guy asked me if I would like to drive his SS and I of course said HELL YES! I have not talked to him for a little while but I think it's still a go.
I'll be a rookie so wave on your way by.
Oh, I know you guys don't lift in the rough stuff. That's going to be intimidating.

GSR
01-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Arrggghhh, anyone ever race a pirate ship? I would love to race mine me hearty.

RiverDave2
01-22-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by superdave013:
RiverDave, You're a brave man betting on me. Remember my deal is not proven and still scattered all over the floor right now! I talked shit and he called me on it! Damm, I hate it when that happens. lol A dam to dam flat out run will be fun. We just can't set the date here online. If we do that Boat Cop and his buddies will be waiting for us!
SuperDave, I don't know about Brave. I have alot of faith in Schiada hulls, and I'm confident that yours will have some Horsepower behind it. Besides 100.00? That's beer money for Sundance that night. As far as setting a date online? Who Cares? It's not illegal to do that, just so long as there isn't too much boat traffic. Doesn't much matter anyways, I'd put a whoopin on both you fruitloops in the Nordic. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
RD

superdave013
01-22-2002, 01:38 PM
Dave, First off it would have to be pretty busy and very rough for me to have the advantage. I think two guys racing from dam to dam on a busy Saturday would be illegal.
Remember Barney got stopped when we were running all by our self. The cop told us he didn't want to see us going 95! I was holding the GPS and we were only going 87 and climbing. Could you imagine what he would have said to two guys racing, weaving in traffic going over 100?
That would be reckless and negligent endangerment wouldn't it?
In my youth I have gotten a ticket for that before. In the comments section it said "(racing)!

superdave013
01-22-2002, 01:40 PM
Oh, I don't want any part of the bad ass Nordic! Remember I checked out that custom buillet Dole fin thing you've got on it!

LeE ss13
01-22-2002, 02:11 PM
Well .. the answer is simple. Make it a race against the clock, best time wins, do it offseason during the week, and so you don't upset Mr. BoatCop ....pull a skier !!! There are a lot of ski racers looking for a good work out. If they can ski to Catalina and back, Dam to Dam should a breeze!
Just my $.13
--------
LeE ss13

RiverDave2
01-22-2002, 04:17 PM
Dave, your right if it's busy and your weavin then you would get a ticket for it... If it's that busy though 20' Schiada or not it's probably going to be to choppy to haul ass.
Hey don't make fun of my Whale Tale! (Dole Fin?) I looked high and low on the outdrive and contrary to popular belief I couldn't find a CAV plate anywhere! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif So I made one.. Besides it's billet so doesn't in automatically fall under the category of Cool? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif I just couldn't bring myself to put that plastic piece of crap on the outdrive.. That plate made the boat drivable on top end (without knocking any off the top end I might add) and made it so I can drive in rough water as well as decreased plane times (cured a porpousing problem as well).. (In case you can't tell I'm sensitive about the whale tale.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif) I spent alot of time on that thing! Built 8 different variations to get it as dialed in as it is.. Don't be upset becuase it's the local Schiada Spanker.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
RD