PDA

View Full Version : How long can you store unleaded gas......

Badburn
12-01-2006, 03:30 PM
So im looking at the 10 or so empty 55 gallon drums on the side of my house, they are left over from lots of methanol in the race car.
My latest hairbrain idea: why not buy 500 gallons of gas now when its cheap and use it in August when gas is real expensive?
How long can you store unleaded gas in a sealed container before it goes bad? Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldnt work? :rollside:

Beer-30
12-01-2006, 03:34 PM
It goes stale at about 3 months or so. Will still fire a motor up to about a year, but it starts to stink and is not quality fuel.
The money you would spend on Sta-Bil or other stabilizer would counter what you would save.
I don't see that it would be worth it.

Froggystyle
12-01-2006, 03:48 PM
It only really goes sideways in a vented container. I don't know what the shelf life of it is long term though.
I would think the hassle of pumping myself would negate any extra expense incurred at the pump.

boatnam2
12-01-2006, 03:57 PM
we keep it for long periods of time at work in 55 gallon drums but in a huge refrigerator.want to see what happens to gas in the sun... fill up a clear glass bottle and leave it in the sun for a day it will turn black.another big prblem is gas is 70 vapor pressure in the summer and 12.5 in the winter nov- march,hope its not cheap in the winter because you may have vapor lock problems in the summer.biggest problem will be losing the light ends in the heat and if not vented seen gaskets bown out of 20"lines,i have seen gasoline lines not vented exceed 400psi.

sdpm
12-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Too Dangerous!!

voodoomedman
12-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm no expert but I do know that the formulas are different in summer and winter. Probably not a huge deal in SoCal but could be. Now speaking of SoCal. Gas prices always suck here. Actually isn't it usually a little bit more in the summer what with all the recreational activities and 3 day weekends they like to raise it for.

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
12-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Plan on varnishing a lot of furniture with it, Also any time I have stored fuel for long periods of time I have had water contamination problems, pump, AV, or race. Just my opinion but I think the heat cycles break the fuel down.

Bense468
12-01-2006, 04:43 PM
So im looking at the 10 or so empty 55 gallon drums on the side of my house, they are left over from lots of methanol in the race car.
My latest hairbrain idea: why not buy 500 gallons of gas now when its cheap and use it in August when gas is real expensive?
How long can you store unleaded gas in a sealed container before it goes bad? Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldnt work? :rollside:
I wouldn't store the gas. not worth it, too dangerous, but as a side note my buddy called me up the other day looking for empty 55 gallon drums. I refered him to my other buddy that is a VP dealer, but people that go out to glamis and such on big week trips run out of fuel. He has a 40' 5th wheel w/ pumping station and still doesn't hold enough fuel. He was looking for them to fill up at home and take them with him, so he doesn't have to pay the $4 a gallon. May want to post up in GD.com or glamis online...someone may take them off your hands.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Too Dangerous!!
What's the ratio of gas to TNT?
1/4 cup = 1 stick of Dynomite?

Froggystyle
12-01-2006, 05:47 PM
What's the ratio of gas to TNT?
1/4 cup = 1 stick of Dynomite?
Not even close, but you are right, it is explosive.

Badburn
12-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Actually, the money savings on this deal would be pretty substantial, Gas is 2.31 at the pump here, and the marina gas that I have to buy on the river in the summer is about 5 bucks. $1345 bucks for fillin up my empty drums..... I like it.
How is storing fuel in a drum any more dangerous than driving a boat with 300 gal gas tank, 5 batteries, and an AC electrical system on board? VP, trick, sonoco, 76, etc...they store it in a drum, and then sell it to us in the same drum. smile_sp:

socalmoney
12-01-2006, 09:09 PM
I put 8 gal of gas from 1999 in my Ford truck and it ate it up, no problems.

SHOTKALLIN
12-01-2006, 09:11 PM
sounds like a DYNOMITE idea to me. :220v:

acatitude
12-01-2006, 09:21 PM
damn badburn quit being so cheap hell ill buy ya some takiila

KLEPTOW
12-01-2006, 11:35 PM
I did this a couple of years back, can't remember how much I saved, it wasn't enough to clean my shorts out from being scared shit less that i was about to detonat a brand new motor to death. Not worth it after all of the hassels with pumping the shit back out and still having to buy the local 4 buck a gal shit to mix with my saved karosen from the winter.
Gas will start to go bad in about 2 weeks or less depending on temp as someone else as said.
p.s. you may want to also check and see how much it will cost you to have someone take 50 gals of karosen off your hands.

Badburn
12-02-2006, 07:54 AM
damn badburn quit being so cheap hell ill buy ya some takiila
lol, get up and go get some coffee, so I can have gas money!! :)

ratso
12-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Every night, throw all your spare change and dollar bills in a container and cash it in every month... easier, safer, and probably come out about equal to what you'd save with your idea. Last time I cashed in after 3 months was over $600... :D Kinda like free money...